Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody Growing Cat's Whiskers?

Posted by pam_3 GA 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 17, 08 at 20:50

I saw Cat's Whiskers (Orthosiphon aristatus) online, and it looks really pretty. My Southern Living Garden Book says it's tropical, but I was wondering if anyone in the Atlanta area has had it come back.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody Growing Cat's Whiskers?

I had them last year. Bought them at Lowe's in late summer 2006. They are supposed to be OK for zone 7, but I was advised (Garden Web) that I would have to mulch well and even then it was "iffy". So I kept them in containers under grow lights for the winter. Planted them late spring just to be on the safe side. There were very pretty. BUT, they took lots of attention because they require consistent moisture and the drought made that hard to deal with. The ones I had were white. While very pretty, I decided they were too much trouble to move under the grow lights again. I left them in ground over winter well mulched. They did not survive. Whether this was the cold weather, or affects of the drought, I can't say.

o
RE: Anybody Growing Cat's Whiskers?

Thanks for your input, opal. The spot I'm considering is next to a creek, so it tends to be a little more moist. I'd still probably have to water, if we have dry weather again, tho. I may try them and consider them annuals. It's good to know what I'm getting into.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here