Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best source for local (accurate) weather?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 22:55

I was at my nephews place in south ga and overheard him on the phone saying it was supposed to get down to 35 tonight, not sure where he got that info. weather.com says the low is 39 and only for a few hours around 6am, is this low enough to bring frost?

where can I go to get better info?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best source for local (accurate) weather?

I mostly use the NOAA/NWS forecast. A link to their website is below. Enter your ZIP Code in the box at the top of the page to view the forecast for your area, which will be based upon the nearest Airport location.
Elevation above sea level will also affect temperatures. If your location is in a valley, your local temperature may be several degrees lower than the one forecasted, as cold air will sink to the lower level.
Also, check the dewpoint temperature, as air temperatures will usually not fall below that level.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA/NWS Weather Forecast

o

Try Wundeground.com Put in your zip and you can fine tune the radar to your street

o

This is about as good as I have found -- a series of live weather stations at various locations throughout Georgia. I don't know that you will find forecasting if that is what you are looking for but you will find excellent live and historical information. Especially useful for frost, chill dates, etc. Just select the station nearest your location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Automated Weather

o

I also like the www.georgiaweather.net because it give soil temps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here