Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milieu_serene

calling all south georgians!!! sign in please

milieu_serene
14 years ago

I have been trying to identify south Georgian which we can say is from Macon south to the Florida line.

Why?

Well, my office is in Atlanta and my farm in southeast Georgia. I did my post high school education in Macon (about 7 years worth). I have noticed over the intervening 30+ years that plants/blooms and such tend to be about 2 weeks behind those in the Vidalia area and that, "generally" speaking there is about an 8-10 degree temperature difference.

I'd like to see if us "south" Georgians can get acquainted and share planting lists, experiences, etc.

Right now, I know the following are in south Georgia:

chao

foxesearth

jerryngeorgia31557

rjinga

me - miieu-serene

Is there anyone else??? I realize this may take quite some time as the Georgia Gardener doesn't seem to be used all that much.

Comments (18)

• ccl38
    14 years ago

I am in Savannah.

• debbiep_gw
    14 years ago

I'm in the Blackshear/waycross area.I seldom visit the Ga forum though.Debbie

• gamecock43
    14 years ago

I am in Savannah as well

• tropicalbreeze
    14 years ago

posted by tropical breeze on oct30, in Effingham county

• meanma
    14 years ago

I'm at Eulonia. Great place to grow almost anything. My better half grows citrus. I like to grow avocado from seed. I know they will never fruit, but they are beautiful. I also do citrus rooting. Hope to learn to graft.

• aunt-tootie
    14 years ago

Hello! I'm from SW GA (Lee CO).

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

Hey, wait a minute!!!!!!! Meanma you can grow citrus in Eulonia?????????????? I am about an hour or little more NW from you, close to Ft Stewart.
    I grew up in Glennville, Georgia - moved to Central Florida - retired and now I'm back in Glennville, Georgia.
    Love the onions and tomatoes!!!
    I have found this forum to be pretty quiet, but I'm interested in what plants can grow here too. A deer came onto my back patio and ate my hybiscus, the bunnies eat my spiders in the front. Love the little critters, but love my plants too LOL!!!!
    My roses are fantastic growers here!!!! I have propagated 2 from stems that I broke pulling them down to my 5'2" to dead head.
    CF was just too hot and humid for roses except the Knockout shrubs.
    I've tried pumpkins for 2 years and can't get them to grow here, but someone in this little town had a pic in the newspaper he grew from a supermarket punkin.
    I just want them for fall decorations for me and fam.
    I love any and all plants and was disappointed this year because I only had 1 amaryllis bloom this spring and it bloomed twice!!! I think too much rain for 2 weeks was the prob.
    Rosa

• georgiagirl
    14 years ago

I'm in Bryan County, just about 25 minutes west of Savannah up I-16. I just made lemon pies from lemons I got from my lemon tree, which I grow in a big pot. My friend grows oranges at Tybee in the ground. I leave my potted lemon outside, except when the temperature drops below 35. I don't think you will be successful with pumpkins in Glennville except for the occasional ones that you pet along. I have found that I can grow almost the same things as they grow in north Florida. Fixing to plant a few turnips in my little square foot garden.

• rosajoe_gw
    14 years ago

A potted lemon, how big is it??????
    I am willing to baby the pumpkins, but so far I thought I was and no luck LOL!!!
    Turnips sound so good, maybe I'll plant some.
    Rosa

• meanma
    14 years ago

I grew satsumas and oranges when I lived in Glennville. Here in Eulonia we have enough to give away. Blessed. I guess it's worth the GNATS!!!!!!!

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is such a pleasure to see you all here. I know there are many more south Georgians but unfortunately this forum seems seldom visited.

If you would like, send me your email addresses and I will create a mailing list for those of us in south Georgia. My email is joel at joelwilliamslaw dot com

menma, thanks for the reminder on the satsumas. I was going to try to plant a few orange trees and had forgotten my research. I also remember researching the lemons. I think the meyers lemon was the one which was supposed to do well for us.

• coop4ua
    14 years ago

I'm in Statesboro.

• mcleod
    14 years ago

Not south enough in Sunnyside on the Henry/Spalding line. I envy those of you further south, my people are from LA (lower Alabama) so I miss the better climate down there.

• milieu_serene
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well hello McLeod, we could perhaps accept you as an honary south Georgia -:) Seriously, there seem to be some advantages to being this far north. We are in Duluth during the week.

I see rhododendrons growing here that just don't seem to be able to make it in the Vidalia area. Perhaps if I put some in a cool creek or river bottom they might make it. I may give that a try in 1 spot.

But, that is the point of trying to gather the south Georgians to share experiences. It is amazing to me how much difference a few hundred miles and 800 feet or so of altitude can affect plants.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

My inlaws just moved closer to the Macon area, to Byron GA. This is permanent (finally)- if you all discuss growing food in that area I'd like to know more about it because I'll be helping the fam. get going down there. Fruit is especially important.

• fluffyflowers
    14 years ago

I'm in Macon :)

• ukga
    14 years ago

I am in Cordele, Lake Blackshear area where it is slightly warmer in winter, cooler in summer than in town.

• stsimonsislandkaren
    14 years ago

I live on St. Simons, but also have a home in the Vidalia area. I visit this site periodically.

Sponsored