Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Outside?

Posted by annakathleen GA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 23:28

Hello. I am looking for advice on Ficus Benjamina. In the spring we procured two large beautiful trees in pots. They are approximately 7-8' tall. Have done very well outside on the north side of the house next to our hot tub. Being as big as they are there is no way these guys can come inside. Just won't work. Will they survive the southeast Ga winter? Will they lose their leaves until spring? Is there something I can do to protect them outside until warmer weather? I know it's not real close to freeze time, but I would like to have a game plan for that first frost warning! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Outside?

• Posted by gaalan z7b(on map) 8(imby) (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 21:58

This species is not hardy here. Not very likely even in southern Georgia. They can be very tempermental about changing conditions. I had a big one for a number of years and it was always dropping leaves. If it got accustomed to a spot and I moved it at all, it was sure to drop leaves in protest. I read that it could be cut back to make it more manageable, but after I did, it was never the same. Finally it died. When its right it is very nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here