Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

nail fungus from grungy garden gloves?

bagsmom
10 years ago

Here's something gross for y'all to weigh in on.... I have nail fungus on one toe and I'm sure it is from wearing my horrible, ratty garden shoes too long. They had holes in them and my feet would be almost dirtier after I wore them.

Now I am thinking I might have the beginning of a problem on my fingernails. They are peeling in layers and look just a little strange (not like the disgusting photos I've googled.)

But, like with my shoes, I tend to keep my gardening cover-up stuff too long. My gloves are kind of gross. It makes sense to me that all sorts of microbes live in the soil. Gloves get damp, hot, and dark.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, I'd love to hear what you did.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

I can't comment on that but I will say that I always get gloves that can be washed in the washing machine (mostly because of poison ivy exposure). I throw them in when I am washing jeans or similar non-delicates and then let them air dry.

Best of luck.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Oh man, bagsmom. First it's critters in your attic, now fungi on your nails. I recommend seeing a dermatologist, asking the office if this is something the doc is expert in.

Let us know how you're doing. Me, I'm still trying to trap rats in my kitchen.........disgusting creatures, thought they were all dead and one gnawed a bunch from a fab apple in a bowl on the counter. IT'S WAR HERE IN SUGAR HILL.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I have used tea tree oil with great success on my big toe that had fungus several years ago. I saw it at CVS in the vitamin aisle. It is in about a 4 oz. bottle, but it lasts a long time. It is good on scrapes,etc. Very earthy smelling, but it works. I apply it with a Q- tip.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have some tea tree oil! That's a good tip! I like the smell of it...

Rosie -- keep us posted on the Rat War! We still have seen no more mice signs. I seriously wonder if it was just the one, having a good ol' time up there...

• rosiew
    10 years ago

bagsmom, I really want you to have the fungi thingie checked out by a doc. An Edict from Rosie.

Super tired of the Rat War. Have two packages in the fridge, clearly labeled: Rat Apple and Rat Butter. Lord save me from my daughter in law coming over!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Yes, you should go to the doctor. A friend of mine got pricked by a rose thorn and got a fungus on her hand. They had to operate on her hand.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, guys. It really appears to just be peeling nails. No gross color or thickening or anything. It's probably age. But in case it is fungal, I will check with the dermatologist. I think these things are easier to take care of the earlier they are caught.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Nails aren't supposed to peel, gal. And a lot of us can learn from what you report the doctor says. I'm having a routine physical this week and this has spurred me to ask the doc if I should see a dermatologist for some issues I have.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read it is often one of the first signs of perimenopause -- along with dry hair.... I'm right in that zone. Poo.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    10 years ago

Zackey, the same thing happened to my neighbor, she had a fungal infection from cutting the roses, and didnt know what it was for a awhile. she was really sick.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    10 years ago

Zackey, the same thing happened to my neighbor, she had a fungal infection from cutting the roses, and didnt know what it was for a awhile. she was really sick.