Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New zone gardening

Posted by corar 9jax,fl (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 21, 08 at 8:09

We've purchased a few acres in Baker County, just a mile or two from the Fla/Ga border and Little St. Marys river. Because the weather is more extreme that far inland, I'm wondering what fruit and nut trees south Georgia gardeners/farmers find most desireable. Pecans, of course, but what about hazelnuts (filberts) or walnuts? Peaches, pears, apples? Any citrus? We plan to set aside several acres for fruit/nut trees and perhaps get the orchard started even before the house construction. Our goal is to become a certified organic grower and we're wide open to any info you can share. Many thanks,
cora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New zone gardening

Do you mean Camden or Charlton County, in extreme SE GA?
The Little St. Mary's River is a tidal river from the Atlantic.
Baker County is in SW GA on the Flint River and isn't situated on the border with FL.
Large difference in growing conditions, due to the oceans's influence.
There are some growers in SE GA, that grow blueberries, a strain developed at UGA for that climate.
Also Figs and some citrus are grown there. Mostly vegetables and melons are produced by those that care to work. A lot of land has been coverted to growing Pine for pulpwood production and pine needle harvesting (baled for mulch).
I would contact the County Extension Agent to determine which fruit, nuts, berries, vegetables, etc. are recommended for the area. Some will be cultivar specific.

o
RE: New zone gardening

Oh, dear! I didn't make myself clear. I am speaking of Baker Co. FLORIDA. It's northern boundry in on the GA border where GA makes a little rectangular dip into FL.
The nearest town of any size is McClenny - where, I'm told they roll up the sidewalks at dusk. Getting in touch with the extension agent has been frustrating at best since I live at present in Jacksonville. I got the impression that I will have to physically go to the CEA's office and talk with him one on one.
So, you can see why I'd like to find a GW friend who lives in that general area. The county agent is great, but so are your neighbors! cora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here