Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confederate Rose - pruning

Posted by amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 12, 06 at 10:23

The frost finally got my Confederate Rose. When are you supposed to cut back on the plant and how much? What happens if you don't prune it back? My plant is currently about 5 feet tall. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confederate Rose - pruning

I don't grow this, but I did search around and it seems like you can prune it now. I don't think it is required to prune it, most people just seem to do it either to control size or remove and branches that died over the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus

o

You will be able to tell which limbs are damaged. You can cut them off at any time. In areas where the trees are not always damaged by frost, they are often never trimmed. They grow to be small trees. I don't trim mine. The larger limbs are not bothered by cold weather, just the tender outer branches freeze. Now is the time of year to take cuttings if you want to.

However, others ofter cut them down to make them bush out in the spring. It just depends on the look that you want.

o

Here is some info from Walter Reeves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate Rose

o

To get the confederate rose ready for wimter, I cut them back to the ground, just like I do my angel trumpets. Then I mulch ovrt them. When the weather gets warm, they start growing again. You can also cut pieced of the branches to root and make new plants.
Cookie

o

I have this plant also. Now is the time that I take cuttings and cut mine to about six inches tall, and add a thick mulch.
I clean up around the bottom of them too.
This past summer with the weather like it was I had some type of white harry bug on them....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here