Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazepepper

Tree suggestions....

blazepepper
15 years ago

I am planning on planting 2 trees on a slight slope in my back yard. I am looking for somewhat small trees, maybe 20-25 feet fully grown. Also looking for a fast growing tree that will provide some shade, but not a ton. Also looking for affordability. I see a lot of small simple looking trees out and about this time of year with awesome deep red and bright red leaves. What kind of trees are these? and any suggestions as to what I can use, where I can get it, how much they will cost, and any other tips about planting a tree you have would be appreciated. thanks. ps, I was thinking of planting 2 crepe myrtles, but now with some of the fall colors, they've got me thinking otherwise.

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

If you are seeing small trees with oval leaves that are a deep, muted burgundy, they are likely Dogwoods. These year has been a fantastic year for fall color on native dogwood (Cornus florida).

Trees with bright red leaves are likely to be some of the Red maple cultivars (like October Glory, Autumn Sunset). Look for the tri-lobed maple leaf shape.

If you are seeing bright red leaves that are compound leaves (a long leaf with with many leaflets), those are sumac.

If you see orange leaves, they could be Sugar maple or Sassafras. Pinkish/orange leaves may be Sourwood.

Yellow leaves are Hickory (deep yellow), muscadine grape, Green Ash trees or Red maple (yes, many "red" maples in the wild turn yellow).

Just now starting to turn are Oaks and they can be drab-ish brown to a gorgeous scarlet red, depending on the species.

A nice small tree with reasonably good fall color (yellows, oranges and reds, depending on the conditions), consider Serviceberry (Amelanchier). It is also a favorite with birds in the summer because of the tasty small berries.

Fast growing trees include Tulip Poplar (Liriondendron tulipfera) and Scarlet Oak or Shumard Oak (both have good red fall color).

• blazepepper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Esh, The red trees I referred to that I have seen lately are a very bright red, not so much deep red. The trees I am seeing a lot of are small, appear to be only 8 in around or so, and less than 20 feet tall, w/ very light bark and very bright red leaves, that appear to be maple shaped leaves or something like that.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

blazepepper, if you are seeing these trees in planted areas, they are likely young maples.

• blazepepper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Esh, If they are young maples, this means they could possibly one day be 100 ft tall correct? How long does it take them to grow?

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Yes, red maples (Acer rubrum) get from 60 to 90 feet tall at maturity. But I think it would take them 30 years to get that tall. They are considered a moderate to fast growth tree (in terms of "speed"), depending on the site.

You might enjoy the site linked below - it has a pictorial growth diary of an October Glory maple from 1999 to 2006.

Here is a link that might be useful: October Glory growth diary

• blazepepper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks esh, I did enjoy that, and that appears to be the exact tree that I have been referring to. So, If I want to buy a couple of October Glory Red Maples where do I do so?
    Does home depot carry such? thanks

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Home Depot is a good start - call them and see if they'll be carrying them. If not them, then call around. 'October Glory' is a cultivar name, so they should be familiar with it. If they don't have it, they'll say "we have this other one instead ...". The Freeman maples are a hybrid (cross between red maple and silver maple); a popular one is 'Autumn Blaze'. Looks like they are a slight smaller tree at maturity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeman maples

Sponsored