Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

natives for a dry slope

girlgroupgirl
15 years ago

Hi:

I'm looking for very easy natives for a dry, partly shady slope behind our church. These plants need to be bullet proof and drought tolerant and the soil is pretty horrible but can't really be amended because of the nature of the slope. Small and VERY steep!

I was thinking of possibly itea? I'd like shrubby things. Nothing that needs much pruning.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

girlgroupgirl

Comments (12)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Mapleleaf viburnum (Viburnum acerifolium), Sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus), Beaked hazel (Corylus cornuta), Hearts a bustin (Euonymus americanus), Christmas fern, New York fern, Phlox paniculata.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those are wonderful ideas Esh, thanks. I could use the sweetshrub next to the fence. I will need some evergreens in this area too - to help continue the feeling of privacy for the neighbors. We can be a loud bunch!
    Esh, do you grow that corylus here successfully? It lists as a native of California which is, I guess why I hadn't heard of it. If it grows for you, does it give you nuts?
    I'm looking for more native nuts to grow at home without any kind of sprays or anything (and not pecans, I have three stubborn ones right now!).

Thanks,
    GGG

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Eastern Red Cedar, Juniperous virginiana, could be used as a privacy screen. It is extremely drought tolerant, so much so, that it was used in the "dust bowl" states during the 1930's as a wind screen. There are a couple of cultivars, Blue Mountain & Hillii, that are pyramidal in shape and only attain a height of 10-15ft.
    American Holly, Ilex opaca, also makes a good screen, but requires occasional pruning when used as a hedge row or limited-height screen. It is often used in parking lot "islands" or as a street tree in cities, which is a fairly good indicator of it's drought tolerance.
    M/F gender of both of these are required for seed production (cones or berries).
    Rb

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I have only been growing Corylus cornuta recently so have no experience with nuts. It's much smaller than it's cousin, American filbert. It is a native here and we have found it on several rescue sites in Cherokee recently.

In addition to Rb's two evergreen suggestions, you could also consider wax myrtle, several dwarf cultivars are available now to create more of a shrub effect than a tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corylus cornuta

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wax Myrtles have been trouble for me here in the city. a) they are hard to find and extremely expensive
    b) those I've personally planted in very urban areas have died.
    Blue Mountain & Hillii are possibilties, but I do no think we have enough root space for either of them, unfortunately. The only things that are growing in this area right now are dreaded "Tree of Heaven" and some canna (which look horrible in drough and then fall over because of the steep slope). The Hazelnut would probably be the best if it indeed does produce nuts, and we could mass plant it in this area. Our first and foremost priority is providing nutritious foods our congregation - many of whom are poor and live in group homes with no personal access to good nutrition (what they are provided with is very sub standard in many cases). Food plants that are natives would be wonderful!

Thank-you all,

GGG

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

GGG, I think that might be a hard bill to fill - native, produces edible parts, grows in partial dry shade. Blueberries MIGHT work, but the partial shade will certainly affect their ability to produce much fruit.

• davidcf
    15 years ago

Natives are nice, but few plants can approach Aucuba and Aspidistra to survive in a dry, partial or fully shaded environment in Georgia with very little coaxing. OK, I admit they're a little boring. But I wish I'd planted Aucuba 5 years ago instead of the Illicium parvifolium plants that STILL flag in late summer. Ditto well-meaning Itea & Clethra.

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

Another evergreen to look into is Yaupon(Ilex vomitoria). Uber-tough for sun or shade, wet or dry. I also really like buckeyes(Aesculus pavia, parviflora and parviflora v. serotina)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Natives are nice, but few plants can approach Aucuba and Aspidistra to survive in a dry, partial or fully shaded environment in Georgia with very little coaxing.

C'mon, natives do it every day - all across Georgia! Everything needs a period to get established, especially when raised in a nursery grown environment (where they are babied to the max). Without knowing more about your Anise plants, I don't know why they flag every day in the summer. I have several in different parts of the yard; the only one that has trouble is the one under a big maple tree and so has a lot of competition for moisture.

Ditto well-meaning Itea & Clethra.

Those guys like wetter areas, of course. Not sure if you meant that, so I just want to clarify for those who are reading this.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Although not necessarily native to this precise area, Aronia and Symphoricarpos were recommended to me by Carolina Wild at the Hall County plant Expo last spring. They're very good for dry slopes and will take shade. I put a couple Aronias and several Coralberrys out on our south slope last summer, watered them once and then left them on their own because we were afraid our well might go dry, and they're all doing fine.

• davidcf
    15 years ago

ESH: I agree Itea & Clethra are at their best in wet soil. And OK, as far as the Anise, they are competing with tree roots (edge of woods). I will say that the oldest Anise (after 5 years) are pretty well holding their own.

• nita1027
    15 years ago

sabal minor, winterberry, sparkleberry (if you can find it), carolina jessamine, depending on soil type--oakleaf hydrangea (here they hang out on hillsides and and steeply carved creekbanks), shrubby dogwoods, euonymous americana

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus