Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery Mildew-Echinacea-Advise Please

Posted by heavenscent 7b Atlanta (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 15:25

I have been battling PM most of the summer on all of my echinacea.I must have inadvertently spread the fungus while deadheading and not cleaning my shears...OOPS!

Once I realized what it was I began spraying weekly with Daconil, it did not help. A few weeks ago, after searching the internet for advice, I cut most of the plants back to the ground. I did not cut back of a few plants that were planted together in which a green lynx spider had chosen as her home to lay her eggs. ;0)

I try to only select plants for my garden that are low maintence, I try as much as possible to garden organically and I have not had any problems with echinacea in my prior garden. I have a few questions:

Should I expect to see my echinacea again in the spring, or did I surely grant them an early death?

Should I now cut back the others that the spider had nested in?

Is the soil around the plants contaminated? Should it be spayed as well or will the soon to be winter take care of that?

Any expertise is greatly appreciated, as I am tired of torturing the poor echinacea...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery Mildew-Echinacea-Advise Please

Your plants should emerge fine next spring without powdery mildew. It spreads to some but not all plants. The reason you got it so bad this year could be:

drought mixed with humid air. Powdery mildew sets on plants that are often dry at the root but the leaves have humidity on them constantly

crowded foliage or foliage that is just in a sort of wind blocked area so the air doesn't circulate well and the moisture doesn't dry off leaves quickly

shadier than the plant appreciates

I wouldn't do a thing now but wait. Hopefully next spring will bring better growing conditions and your babies will recover and be mildew free!

GGG

o

Do a search for "powdery mildew + milk" for the answer to your question. A simple, organic solution that works.

o

Thanks GGG Should I stop spraying now and just let the foilage die back on it's own?

Nandina~ I did do some searching as far as organic treatment with milk and read alot of conflicting results, by the time I noticed the PM it was all over the place and I wanted a sure fix(even though that did not help much either) ;)

o

I wouldn't bother spraying now. My cone flowers have browned in the frost, so yours probably will soon.

Ironically powdery mildew is worse in dry weather. Regular rain or overhead watering washes the spores off the leaves.

Zinnias are another plant that gets mildew. But it doesn't over winter.

o

Maybe next year you will be alert for the first signs of mildew and try the milk treatment. You do not know if it will work in your situation until you give it a try. Lots of gardeners report success using it.

o

nandina- You bet I will! I am a lazy gardener by nature, but I think I will do some preventive milk spraying through the growing season next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here