Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpharetta_gw

My first Pomegranate fruit

alpharetta
13 years ago

Good news. After 3 years of trying, my pomegranate project finally shows a result. I got very first fruit in my backyard. It's from Russian variety, I don't know the cultivate name. I got the plant from Eat-it online store. I also have 3 other different pome plants: eversweet, angel red and grenada. None of them fruiting or flowering yet. The most disappointed is eversweet. It dies to ground every winter and grows new suckers in the spring...

{{gwi:843241}}

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Congratulations Alpharetta!

I am kind of surprised that your 'Eversweet' is still dying to the ground. Anywhere around Atlanta should be a solid zone 8 these days. I don't have 'Eversweet', but I'm growing poms here in Knoxville with minimal dieback even on new plants.

I just added a dozen more cultivars this year, so I can't wait to see how they'll do.

• alpharetta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Brandon,

I guessed my eversweet cannot tolerate the temperature fluctation in the Spring of Atlanta climate... Or the one i have is not truly 'EverSweet' as advertised!

I just checked on few stores, now they have Utah Sweet for zone 6...

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I planted Angel Red last year, it still has all it's leaves but did not flower nor fruit. One that was planted at our local school garden flowered AND has fruit the same year it was planted! Go figure!!

I planted a Sherwood Jujube last year. Recommended all over the place last year as THE Jujube to plant in humidity. Now I see this year they are saying it is better in sandy soils and drought (which I find hard to believe, since mine hasn't much enjoyed any drought). It has lost it's leaves, and it did flower nicely but no fruit this year. I'm wondering if I will ever get fruit. It's a very lovely tree, so it's no biggie if it doesn't fruit (narrow weeping habbit, bright yellow fall color) - but I'm completely fruitless this year :) Good for you getting a Pom!

• georgiagreen
    13 years ago

Hi Alpharetta, did your pom taste well to you. My pom's this year were very sour and started to split after some rain so maybe most didn't ripen like they should. I planted several different russian pom this last year and one bore fruit (salvaski) but set it to late so I cut it off. I am also trying russian from edible landscaping, white, angel red and one from a local nursery call russian 26. The ones that bear loads of fruit at my house are from an unnamed source. If I can find the pics I will post them later.

• alpharetta
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey GA Green:: Yes, my Pom tasted very sweet and excellent flavor. The plant acutally had lot of flowers, but all of them falled except one remain on the tree and became the only one fruit. Let us know the info/result from your Poms.

Hello GGG:: I also have few Jujubes (Li, Lang, Tigger Tooth, GA 68). They are about two years old. Flowering but no fruit yet. They grow very slow and don't look great. I am not sure what I have missed when taking care of them (water, soid ammendment, site selection, fertilizing, ect). I have few friend in CA and FL. The jujubes at their house are big and load with fruits. They very much planted the jujube the sametime with me... Maybe Georgia is not the great place to grow jujube after all.

• georgiagreen
    13 years ago

Here is some of the pomegrante we had this year. The biggest was about the size of a small softball. I have been to man house that had several different jujubes that were fruiting in the Athens area. His was loaded with fruit and about 15 to 20 feet tall, so maybe they will come around.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting