Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Fall pictures

Iris GW
15 years ago

Fall is moving along quickly all of a sudden. Here is a picture that I took this morning of the back yard. I hope others will share some pictures. I'll take more over the next few days.

It includes Magnolia macrophylla, Magnolia tripetala (to the right of the M. macrophylla), Sourwood (orange pink), Red maple (between the magnolia and the sourwood), Sweet gum (above the sourwood and still mostly green):

Comments (14)

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

esh
    that is beautiful!

• shot
    15 years ago

ESH, WoW! Can imagine having favorite morning brew sitting out there............

Look forward to more pics.

Shot

• vicki7
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous! I love this time of year. I live in Buford and haven't yet had any frost and still have impatiens and petunias blooming their hearts out. I really hope they can hold on till Thanksgiving when the whole family gathers at my house. Right now, when things are beginning to go dormant, maybe we should all say a little prayer for plentiful rain next growing season!

• mayland
    15 years ago

That's beautiful, and very peaceful. thank you for posting it. we have a lot of deep yellow/orangey tree leaves at the moment, which are lovely against a blue sky.

Do you happen to know a smaller tree with almost perfectly round leaves that are an astonishing mix of yellow-orange-red at the moment? There is one in a driveway that I drive past on the way home every day. Unfortunately its a busy 4-lane road so I can't get a good look very easily. Maybe I'll see if I can pull over to take a pic. I would love one of whatever it is.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

smaller tree with almost perfectly round leaves that are an astonishing mix of yellow-orange-red

Could be crepe myrtle, mayland. Some of them color up quite nicely.

Here are some more pictures from today:

Sourwood

Hickory

Serviceberry

Viburnum cassinoides

Viburnum acerifolium

Southern sugar maple with dogwood above it

• razorback33
    15 years ago

esh_
    Great photos!
    It is interesting to note that there is at least ONE other GNPS member that recognizes Viburnum cassinoides as a valid nomenclature among the dozen Georgia species of Viburnum.
    Even though I have rescued and am growing many individual plants, I have been repeatedly told by other members that they do not exist in this state.
    Rb

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rb, that one was not rescued, I got it from an out of state nursery. But I love it! I can see it's resemblance to V. nudum in the dormant structure, but I have a hard time considering them so closely related in leaf form. The leaves are SO different! I do believe that they grow naturally in the northern parts of the state based on the distribution maps for AL, TN and SC. I'm sure others are just expressing personal experience on that. To me, it looks like a V. prunifolium (except much bushier) if you compare leaves - until it goes dormant. The leaves on my V. nudum plants will not change color for several more weeks, by the way.

Viburnums are one of my favorite family of plants, and so many of them have great fall color. I hope that Mapleleaf viburnum can be this year's plant of the year for GNPS. Are you going to the GNPS big November meeting next Tuesday?

I do hope people interested in native plants will consider attending the meeting; membership is not required and it is a very social event (this particular meeting).

Shot, that would be a great place to drink coffee except the boards on the deck are in poor shape; we're going to have to replace the surface next year (luckily the structure is sound).

• razorback33
    15 years ago

esh_
    Viburnum cassinoides can also be found in the metro area.
    All of mine came from the GA20 site near the Mall of GA.
    They were verified by a botanist with with more than 60 years experience in GA native plant identification and classification.
    BTW...He also disagrees with the relegation of the species to varietal status by Kartesz, Duncan, et al.

I have also grown Mapleleaf Viburnum for many years, but it is located near my power service entrance, which had to be upgraded a few years ago, and suffered a lot of damage from the uncaring workman.
    Although it is native in my area, the one I have came from the Blairsville area.
    Rb

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now that the blueberries are turning, this should be the last batch of pictures from my place:

Oakleaf hydrangea:

Native azaleas can be kind of iffy, but this one has some good tones:

Fothergilla with evergreen Florida Anise behind it:

Viburnum prunifolium:

Lowbush blueberry (love the bright green stems):

And highbush blueberry, always the last thing to turn:

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Stunning Esh!!
    Isn't this a great year for fall color? Best I've seen since living here!

• bobbygil
    15 years ago

I agree, I lived in CT. for 35 years and the last 3 years here can match any fall color I remember in the northeast. Does it have anything to do with the trees being stressed from the drought maybe ?

• razorback33
    15 years ago

The intense red leaf colors are a product of warm,clear days and cool nights, but is also caused by stress encountered by the plants. The red pigment, anthocyanin, is producing sugars for the plants to store to aid survival during winter cold. Some say the toxins present in the pigment also provide a defense against insects laying eggs on the leaves, which will overwinter on the ground and hatch in the spring. Tests indicate this may not be a correct hypothesis.
    The yellow pigment in leaves is there during the entire season. It is masked by the green coloured chlorophyll. As the days become shorter and the sun's rays become less intense, chlorophyll production declines and then ceases, allowing the yellows to predominate.
    Late summer moisture is also necessary to produce a briliant fall color show for the "leaf peepers"! Without it, many leaves would just turn brown and fall.
    The strong easterly winds and a few showers has exposed a lot of bare branches already. Sadly, more to come, as winter approaches.
    Hope you appreciated one of Mother Nature's colorful displays, but remember, it wasn't designed to please us, but to insure the survival of the plants!
    Rb

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

I know this is a bit late; however, this is the first opportunity that I've had to sit down and share pics.

Here's fall at our house:

God Bless my husband....he sweeps this backyard
    every
    single
    day
    and still it looks like this :)

One of the things that I adore about this Maple is that at any given time, there are 4 or 5 different colors of leaves and in the spring, it produces these magenta/red fuzzy bottle brush type blooms about 2 inches long.
    The tree is one of my favorite things about my backyard....but the leaves....oy vay.

Dora

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

Dora, this time of year seems like the leaf carpet is replenished almost immediately!!

I enjoy fall perhaps more than any season because almost every plant has the ability to make us take notice. I love the late stages of the season dominated by oaks too. Here are two White Oaks side by side showing just how wonderfully mysterious the colors can be.

{{gwi:493064}}

Taken November 21.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living