Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikemud_2007

Japanese Maple 'Butterfly'

ilikemud_2007
15 years ago

I just came across this little beauty and want one for my maple garden. Does anyone have one in their landscape now? Do you all know where I might find one? I'm in the Buford area.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Hmmm...Wonder if that is a correct photo of 'Butterfly'?
    Doesn't look like mine, others I've seen or any other photos in Vertrees JM books or on a website!
    There are at least a couple of variations in the trees that are sold as 'Butterfly', but none look like the one in the photo from TAMU. The habit and twiggy look are familiar traits of 'Butterfly', but the resemblence ends there. Maybe the Texas sun bleached all of the variegation out of the foliage?
    Rb

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

that one has more white in it than mine although the leaves of mine do not resemble the ones shown in vertrees' book.
    i had it for years and it grew pretty fast for a japanese maple but lost it two years ago during extended drought. some years it would show more white in the foliage than others. i found it locally at a japanese maple nursery. there should be places like that somewhere near your bigger cities although my source is a small community near lake martin called walnut hill! :-)
    from a few years ago, does this one look like the real thing to you, razorback?

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Hi Jeff! Long time no hear.....
    Sorry to hear about your Maple. Is that all you lost? It has been brutal, for sure.

One of my 'Butterfly's is about 15 years old, and came from a JM nursery in PA (now OOB). It is a dwarfish tree and is now only about 4ft. tall.
    It's springtime foliage is similar to your photo on the left, but it does not change color much throughout the season, only loses the pink hues. Reason could be that is is in full summer shade and receives no direct sunlight at all after it's host tree, a Sweetgum, leafs out.
    While a nearby JM cultivar that receives morning sun, 'Orido no Nishiki', is currently a blazing red, "Butterfly' and two others under the Sweetgum, 'Inabe Shidare & 'Crimson Queen' are still retaining their summer colors,
    Attached is a link to some photos of the currently available copy of 'Butterfly' from Mike Francis, a local nurseryman. I purchased 2 additional 'Butterfly' last year from Mike's supplier in Oregon and hope to keep them alive through this drought, to see what differences emerge.
    There seems to be a lack of knowledge (being kind!) among some purveyors of JM's. 'Shaina' is an example. Some ads attribute it's source as a 100 year old 'Atropurpureum' from Red Maple Nursery (PA), others claim it was from 'Bloodgood', discovered at a nursery in Oregon. I purchased 2 last year and so far, they have no resemblance to a mature 'Shaina', either in color or leaf dissection. Maybe there are more than 2 different ones out there!
    Hope the rainfall situation improves for you (and I)!
    Rb

PS.. Very familiar with Walnut Hill! Many years ago, had to do a month's work at a Microwave R/T station near there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer palmatum 'Butterfly'

• idig
    15 years ago

Jeff_Al,

What is the name of the local Japanese maple nursery you mention above. I see you are zone8, so must be in south Alabama?
    Thanks!

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I'm sure jeff was referring to Millstone Japanese Maple Nursery on AL State Route 50, about 1½ mi. east of the intersection with AL State Route 49, which is where Walnut Hill is located.
    The nursery is owned and operated by Paul Lowe and wife and has been in business since the early 1970's. He performs the grafts of the JM's and as far as I know, has no other employees.
    Walnut Hill is northwest of Auburn/Opelika/Lochapoka and near Lake Martin. Can be reached by US280W exit off I-85, near Opelika, northwest toward Dadeville, Alexander City and then left onto AL State Route 50.
    If you want to call them, you can google for the # or email me.
    Rb

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Sorry jeff, a senior moment!
    You would think a former resident of AL for many years would remember how to correctly spell Loachapoka!
    Rb

• cactusfreak
    15 years ago

My Butterfly maple take a few days ago.
    I bought mine at WorldPlants.com a few years ago as a seedling.
    I'm in Buford also.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

yep, razorback is correct about the source i mentioned. paul and glenda lowe are the owners and very nice folk to visit with. millstone nursery used to be located near dadeville when i first discovered it but has moved to walnut hill and the directions given are correct. if you want the phone number, it is 256-896-0105.
    i have become so frustrated about this drought that i have quit planting in my woodland - just can't provide enough water at that distance from the spigot. i also have lost 'higasa yama', several camellias and other shrubs.
    the 'butterfly' in my photos did not have orange fall color. instead, it was a muted purple tone and not very attractive to me. of course, the spring and summer foliage made up for that fault. it seemed like a perfect location and i may put another one there. receiving sun for about 3 hours at mid-day, it reached 6' tall and the leaves stayed fresh all season

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets