Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Herbs, can they make it?

rjinga
15 years ago

I have just purchased a bunch of peat potted herbs, decent sized for the most part (I couldn't pass them up they were only 50 cents each at Wallyworld) I'm hoping can either grow in containers inside my GH or planted out in the garden or in flower beds.

Anyone have experience with the following? in either a GH or outside?

Flat Leaf Parsley

Provence Lavendar

Greek Oregano

Lemon Balm

Arugala

Thyme

Comments (4)

• laylaa
    15 years ago

I grow parsley, Provence lavender, Greek Oregano and several
    thymes, and do not lose them to winter if that's what you are asking. Parsley is the only if-y one - it dies to the ground and most often comes back, oregano is zero problem. I cut it back to the ground in spring so it does not get leggy but that's about it. Provence I root tips outside straight in ground, no cover, no fretting, in spring they are fine. The others on your list I don't know about.

I'll have to check the .50 herbs out, I love thyme as a ground cover and there is never enough lavender. Provence has been the best performer in my humidity. Smells wonderful!

• WestEnder
    15 years ago

Parsley is a biennial which means that it will live two years, sending up a seed stalk the second year. It often reseeds itself that second year so tht you'll have a series of plants in or around the same place if you allow that.

Lemon balm is a perennial that will do fine year after year outside in our area. It is a member of the mint family so it will die back to the ground during the winter but come back strong in the spring. As a member of the mint family, it can become invasive.

Oregano and thyme are both evergreen perennials in my yard in Atlanta. Good eating year-round! Keep them both clipped back in the summer to prevent blooming, because the flavor of the leaves changes (becomes a little bitter) when they bloom and you'll lose harvest time having to cut all the stems back and wait for the whole plant to regenerate new good-tasting growth. On the other hand, bees love their blossoms so if you have multiple plants you can stagger their bloom times by selective pruning and still always have plenty of leaves to eat.

I think arugula is an annual salad herb that likes cool weather. It will bloom and set seed in the spring, first making the most beautiful little flowers you have ever seen. Collect the seed! and start all over again with it next summer or fall.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you laylaa and westender. most helpful info :) I may have to go back for more :)

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I recently cut back my flat leaf parsley and now there's a new healthy plant in its place. I didn't realize it would come back. I saved some seeds for next year. Nikki

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living