Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

Berries

mensplace
14 years ago

For health reasons..two recent strokes and Forestiers Disease..I am moving from heavy tiller based gardening, but would love to have some raise wheat straw balew beds with compost inside and berries. Would appreciate ANY berry plants, staters, bushes, but no need of anything that will take ten years to yield or anything that takes intensive labor...I can't. BUT, surely wold love a good reason to get outside and tinker with a few things in raised beds..like snipping, prunning. I LOVE berries. mensplace@bellsouth.net

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Mensplace,

If you have something to trade, check out the Plant Exchange Forum. Do remember that you'll need something to offer if you ask for anything (because asking for freebies is against Gardenweb rules). You can also look for, and take advantage of, offers from people offering plants for postage. It's alright to offer things for postage or to respond to such offers, just not to request things for postage that aren't already being offered in such offers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Exchange Forum

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't recall saying anything about not being willing to pay. Since that original posting I found three thornless blackberry plants and three raspberry. Not sure how many I should get for the wife and I to have plenty for freezing, cobblers, and fresh eating..or how long to anticipate before a real harvest. Ruled out any tree fruits because I don't want to wait for figs, etc. Already have MANY pomes. Mostly, I think that leaves berries. I HATE the strawberries that are huge, but NO flavor. Any other suggestions?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

"Don't recall saying anything about not being willing to pay..."

You may want to reread what I wrote. I wasn't fussing at you for asking for something for nothing; I just knew you were new and was trying to help you out. Actually, as I indicated above, asking for something in exchange for money is against Gardenweb's TOS, and that's part of what I was saying.

"Already have MANY pomes."

That could be a great source of swap material. Lots of people would probably be willing to exchange berry plants for healthy, ID'd cuttings. Who knows, someone might even see your offer, not really want the cuttings, and decide to offer you berry plants for postage...problem solved.

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the excellent clarification! This month I have done everything I can to swith to straw bale beds as raised borders with compost in the middle. I did experiment with potatoes and onions planted under a deep layer of straw, but seed onions & leeks in the raised beds. Planted some brassicas with straw all around on the periphery of the beds. Also put out artichoke and horseradish in a six foot space between the beds. Placed some sweet potatoes, chayote and central america yams in pots with dry potting mix to go in the carport to put out in the spring. What else for late fall? Now begins the search for manures and compost materials! Unfortunately the labels for the trees are long gone, but would be more than happy to help anyone with grafting and intensive gardening methodologies! My days of tilling are behind me as is any high stress gardening. The raised beds, intensive gardening and square foot approaches FORCE planning. No more items such as corn, melons or large winter squashes!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone