Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Mushroom - Newbie needs info

Posted by alpharetta z7, atlanta, GA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 23:41

Winter is approaching and I want to do something new this year. It's about growing mushroom. I am reading now on the mushroom forum and start getting ideas...

Quick question: Where should I get the logs (prefer getting it for free of course) in ATL metro area and where should I order the mushroom plugs?

Any advices will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Alpharetta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Mushroom - Newbie needs info

I found the answers for the first question: Mushroom plugs can be ordered online. Serveral companies sell them. Oyster mushroom is easiest kind to grow.

Where to find the log??? People sell the mushroom kit included the logs online too. But it's kind expensive.

If anybody has Oak or cherry logs (3-4 feet long and 4-6 inch diameter), we can do mushroom project together. I will take care of the mushroom plugs, you share the logs and we can do this together...

Thanks.

o

Why don't you try Craiglist for the logs. I think that would be a sure thing.

Best of luck and keep us posted. YUM!

Your friend Rosie in Sugar Hill

o

You can also grow on pecan (we asked that of some mushroom farmers earlier this year) Shitake mushrooms are also easy, and it's what most people around here grow.
There's a parking lot close to me that has STACKS of the perfect size logs for mushrooms, fresh fallen and all hardwoods (mostly oak, a few look like pecan). Free for the taking. A bit long, they could use to be sawed in half for transport, but they are all at least 4" around (no bigger than 10". Great size for mushrooms.

o

Thanks a lot for your replies, Rossie and Girlgroupgirl!

Could you PM or send me via email the direction/address to the parking lot where the logs are. My email: phidoan_2000 at yahoo dot com

Have a nice weekend.

o

Sure. Gonna do that now!

o

Hi GGG

I might have missed your email or message regarding the place to get the wood log for the mushroom. Could you send me the info again?

Thanks so much
Alpharetta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here