Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback33

Seed Exchange

razorback33
15 years ago

For those of you that are members of the North American Rock Garden Society (NARGS), the new seed exchange list and ordering form has been posted on the website this week. (No mail-out booklet this year).

4700+ listings this year, many NA natives included, plus others from around the world. Garden and wild collected.

Anyone can view the list at nargs.org

Finished my order today, for posting tomorrow.

Hope I don't lose this year's seed, as I did last year!

I am still searching.

Rb

Comments (2)

• rosie
    15 years ago

I decided to do some seed starting under lights again this year (it's been a while), so I printed out the list to mine for stuff that would do well in my garden--86 pages! because the landscape/magnifying glass 21-page version wouldn't come up for me. I suspect your seed from last year will show up around the same time this year's does. At least, that's the way things happen around here. :) Looking forward to seeing your choices.

• razorback33
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I mainly ordered seed of native Spring ephemerals;
    Trillium
    Hepatica
    Erythronium (Trout lily, Fawn lily, Dog's-tooth violet)
    and a few other natives.
    a couple of shrubs;
    Hydrangea arborescens (cut-leaf form)
    Stewartia (silky camellia)
    Daphne caucasica

Also had to include seed of some of my favorite South American Amaryllidaceae, Rhodophiala sp.
    and some Cyclamen seed, of course!

You often receive non-viable seed from the exchange, because some seed only retain their viability for a short time after maturity. They are starting a new proceedure this year, recommending that those seed be packaged in damp vermiculite for preservation.

Hope yo are correct, about finding my lost seed! It's very frustrating, knowing they are here, somewhere, and not being able to find them!
    Rb

Sponsored