Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turnip's Hardiness

Posted by greenbrier517 8 (redoaks22@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 0:33

I made the mistake of planting my turnips about a month and a half too late. I was hoping that the cold weather would hold off long enough to get me some greens. 23 degrees is the forcasted temperature for our area. Will this be goodbye for my turnips or will covering them save them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turnip's Hardiness

I say give it a shot! It can't hurt to try. I have cilantro that has made it through our nights in the twenties. I think a lot depends on where the turnips are planted, specifically. Sometimes I think things get sheltered from the wind, and that helps a lot.

I hope your turnips make it!

o

I've never had a problem overwintering turnips at any stage!

o

The cold seems to be coming on harder and earlier this year, doesn't it? Either that or I'm just being a wimp.

o

It sure has started to get real cold much earlier this year. And night lows will dip down to mid teens in comming weeks.
Back to turnips: I have some white chinese/Korean big radishes in my garden and so far they have not budged. If they can survive then 3-4 days, they have past GA freez hardiness test. I had some last year too. They lasted all winter. So, I think turnips and radishes are very close relatives. So if radishes survive then should turnips too.
In addition to radishes, I also have Chinese cabbage, kohlrabie, leaf cabbages, chards, leeks, onions, shallots, lettuce, arugula, garlics, parsley all in grown stage.
I hope they will survive this cold snap.
We shall see.
On a second thought, I may dump some fall leaves on some, just to shield them from winds.

o

Thanks Everyone,

I don't see how they can stand this week with the sub freezing temperatures all week. Oh well..... I guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

Good Luck to ALL!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here