Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Pomegranate tree

natalie4b
17 years ago

Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA? How much sun does it need?

I was eating one yesterday thinking of my departed father, how much he enjoyed it, so I wanted to plant a tree in my garden in his honor.

Thank you everyone!

Natalie

Comments (18)

• eddie1
    17 years ago

Natalie, It is a well-kept secret that pomegranates will grow in this part of Georgia and yes, they will bear fruit. When searching for a variety I would suggest that you not buy the cultivar 'Wonderful' as it isn't all that wonderful and there are better types out there. I must tell you though that it may take it at least 6 years or more to come into bearing. My brother lives in north Marietta, almost to Canton and he has 2 large pomegranates I gave him that bear heavily every year. In fact, I remember him saying he wanted to get rid of them since he's had them for years and is tired of them. I think they may also root easily from cuttings but grafted ones come into bearing sooner. They are related to crape myrtles. Another thing that will do well here but nobody grows is English walnuts.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Eddie. I will look into getting one this spring, something other then "Wonderful".
    Happy gardening!
    ~Natalie

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Natalie,
    Seems like I recall there was a USDA Pomegranate germplasm trial planting at Byron GA - or somewhere like that. Don't know if it's still in existence.
    Eddie's right about Wonderful - there are better varieties out there. But, it's the old standard variety, and did fairly well for me back home at Auburn, AL. At Roswell, a zone8 variety like Wonderful may need some winter protection or planting next to a south wall - even without protection, they may be hardy enough to survive, but since they produce fruit on 2-yr old wood, if you got moderate freeze damage, it might eliminate fruiting some years.
    They do root very easily from dormant cuttings - probably also from summer cuttings as well. You can order cuttings(though the cut-off date was Dec 1) from the NCGR Pomegranate collection at UC-Davis(Google 'NCGR Punica' to see what's available).
    There are some Russian/Iranian/Eastern European selections that may even be cold-hardy enough for me, up here in the frigid northland(southern KY); I've got a couple of the Russians(Kazake & Salavatsky) growing, and ordered some more from Davis to try.
    Check out my friend Richard Ashton's website - might give you some ideas about which varieties you'd care to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak Creek Orchard

• eddie1
    17 years ago

You can order a book on pomegranates by Dr. Levin titled Pomegranate Roads. $21 total includes shipping and handling. Online ordering at www.floreantpress.com.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lucky_p,
    thanks! The Russian Kazake & Salavatsky sound interesting, since my family's roots are from that area.

eddie1,
    I will check this book out. Thanks for the recommendation.

~Natalie

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Natalie,
    I've linked the NCGR Punica(pomegranate) site below. You can order cuttings(but the deadline for dormant cutting for this year has already passed), and they root very easily!

Here is a link that might be useful: NCGR Punica collection

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Lucky_p for the link.
    ~Natalie

• jenlyn
    16 years ago

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried any specific varieties that work in the Atlanta metro area? I live in Newnan, just southwest of Atlanta, and I'd like to try a few pomegranates in my yard. I was just wondering if anyone has had any direct experience or can recommend a variety or two.. I know that humidity seems to be a problem for fruiting. Thanks!

• botanicat
    16 years ago

My mom used to grow lots of them on her small tree in south Georgia. I don't know the variety.

• lzygrdner
    16 years ago

I am growing eversweet. it is only two years old and was unfortunately frozen to the ground during that late frost this spring. It did spring back. I got it from peaceful valley farm supply.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

Hi, old thread, but I have a question....can young pomegranates be grown in large containers (like the size of a 1/2 whiskey barrel?

I just got one as a gift and want to keep it if we move.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Yes. But they can't stay in there all that long. Maybe a year, then they need to move on into the ground to mature.

GGG

• lothproduce_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I sell Russian Pomegranate trees in 3 gallon containers for $15. They are about 3 feet tall & they are cold hardy & do well in Georgia.I also have olive trees, fig, gigantic blueberry plants, & fruit trees. We are located in Good Hope, GA.

• RRHudgins
    9 years ago

Holly, I know I'm commenting on a very old thread, but was curious if you still sell the trees and where Good Hope is in relation to Atlanta, as I'm in Douglasville about 30 miles SW of Atlanta.

• buffy0987
    7 years ago

I am VERY interested in buying 1 or more Russian Red Pomegranate trees!!! Can anyone advise where I can find them in GA???? Thank you.

• gator_rider6
    7 years ago

http://www.usdirectory.com/sl/63290747/index.htm?wr=1

That link give info need on pomegranate plants for Georgia

• daphne1980
    7 years ago

I got mine from trees of antiquity and its actually organic.Mine is kazaki pom. one of hardy ones.It did not arrived yet though.

• nembden
    7 years ago

Isons in GA and Edible Landscaping in Va have some. Justfruitsandexotics in Florida has a few other varieties... Salavatski, Suhr Anor, Nikitski Ranni have been shown to produce well in Ga per UGA...

Sponsored