Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

Can I put mushroom compost on my perennial beds now?

bagsmom
14 years ago

Or will it stimulate unwanted winter growth? I know the stuff is pretty intense, so I thought if I applied it now, sprinkled over the layer of chopped-up leaves I have on there, it would start to break everything down. Sort of like composting in place.

I never did go get the horse poo from the police dept. I can do that later though.

For now, I'm wondering about the plan to use the mushroom compost (only in the areas where everything is dormant.)

What do you experts think?

Comments (7)

• liliumskygazer
    14 years ago

I would do it since everything is dormant. I think it is going to take weather to bring them out of dormacy, not nutrients.

Where is there a police department with horse poo? -any where around me in Marietta? I'm a newcomer here and missed that topic.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in Marietta too! Near the square. Where are you? The gang "in the know" said you can get manure from the Atlanta PD and also Alpharetta.

If you go get some, let me know how it goes!

• liliumskygazer
    14 years ago

Hi, bagsmom! I'm off Bells Ferry near Towncenter Mall. There are some nice neighborhoods near the square. You have that walkable, interesting, urban neighborhood feel without being in the middle of Atlanta. But I'm guessing you have small lot to garden in.

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Surprisingly, I am on one of the old 1920s lots that is a half acre!!!!! Long and skinny -- house up front, backyard and garden in middle, and woods at the end. The house has ALL sorts of goofy "old house problems," but we love it. It's a nice, quiet, walkable neighborhood.

Unfortunately, the yard is so very hospitable that a whole family of squirrels loves it too. And they eat out at my garden every day like it is a restaurant. Oh well!

I take Bells Ferry as a shortcut to Barrett Pkwy all the time. I know Barrett Pkwy is a headache, but so nice for shopping and eating out!!!!!!

• liliumskygazer
    14 years ago

I love the character of 1920's houses, but I rather live in my 1960's ranch - less old house problems but still built of good materials and 4 sides of brick that don't need to be painted.

We really got off topic, didn't we?

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, we did.
    Mushroom compost -- now we are back on!

I really like 50s and 60s ranch houses too! Brick is the best!!!! I wish we had it.

It is soooooo cold outside. The little bluebirds are all puffed up like blue grapefruits!!!!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Mushroom compost offers a slow release approach to nutrients so you should be perfectly fine in applying it now and not worry about sudden growth. Besides the temperature and the length of the day are also factors in telling plants when to "grow" and ... brrr! ... I don't think that will be happening soon.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County