Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katharine_atl

need advice for front yard tree

katharine_atl
15 years ago

Greetings. I am new to the plant world and have been doing a lot of research. I need a tree for my front yard to screen a portion of my one story house which is less than ideal (converted porch- non conforming-- in historic neighborhood). I live in Atlanta, zone 7b.

The yard:

bright morning and afternoon sun

6 feet above street level (on high side of street)

red clay

small

no other trees in yard

neighbor has mature persimmon tree nearby

The house:

1 story bungalow

Ideal tree:

=lightly screens but does not obliterate street-view of porch

=relatively short (10-20 ft I reckon)

=relatively narrow (8-10 ft I reckon)

=actively green/blooming for as long as possible

=Not super-pink

=hearty/drought tolerant/forgiving

=gets to maturity relatively quickly

My research indicates that Burgundy Cotton Crepe Myrtle, Arapaho Crepe Myrtle, and Fringe Tree (chianthus retusus)might be good choices. However, I have learned that they do not produce leaves until very late in the Spring. And Arapaho is not always reliably red.

Even thought a flowering tree would be great, I would be very open to an evergreen tree if it's not prickly. Goal is to lightly screen street view of porch portion of house, but not block it completely. If the branches are thin and are nude much of the time, might defeat the purpose.

Any advice very welcome! I would like to plant the tree in January 2009.

-Kat

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

My first thought is to consider Anisetree and prune it into tree form. I have two in my yard and they are rapid growers but the stated maturity is 20 feet. It appears to be technically considered a shrub, but it is a large one.

One potential downside is that it wilts in temps below 32 but it quickly perks up once the temperature rises. I have not found that to be an issue.

It is easily pruned and shaped; very forgiving in that regard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Illicium parviflorum

• katharine_atl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! Anise tree might do very nicely. :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I'd plant a yoshino cherry. They have good form, flowers and beautiful fall color. They also grow very fast and are cheap.
    You can have a good sized tree for screening in 5 years.
    I really love these trees.

• chezron
    15 years ago

I really like Stewartia. They stay small and upright and bloom in the early summer. The bark is beautifully mottled and the blooms are about 2-3 inches across and white. I had a yoshino and they get MASSIVE! Ours was about 30 feet by 30 feet. I loved it though, just not in front of a window. My stewartia is maybe 12 feet tall and 5 feet wide. It has been in the ground for five years and has grown about 2 feet. I trained a clematis on it so it appears to bloom twice a year.

• mid12nt
    15 years ago

If you'd like a tree that stays relatively small, is relatively fast growing, has spring blossoms, berries which attract birds, beautiful autumn color, think Dogwood. If an evergreen, something to think about is Weeping Yaupon Holly, evergreen, columnar, small berries, tiny white flowers. I had one, it grew to 10 feet before I decided to cut it down (it didn't blend well with my landscape and I hated the thorns).

I've a Yoshino Cherry, and its white blossoms are beautiful in the spring, and it has stayed under 20 feet. My favorite drawf tree that I think may meet your objectives is Autumn Blooming Cherry (Prunus subhirtella 'Autumnalis'), it is between 20 and 35 feet (but rarely reaches that height unless planted in a moist area, Georgia droughts keep it small), it has small pink blossoms in early spring, beautiful autumn color, small berries which birds enjoy eating, and it takes drought well once established, but if you water it on a regular basis it will probably grow faster.

Good luck, and have fun.

• rosie
    15 years ago

For very tough, drought-tolerant tree, very fast growing to probably just about the right size and shape in your climate (with summer watering it'd start being what you needed within 3 years), evergreen, bright pretty green in all seasons, mottled shade, modest but pretty flowers for the bees and berries for the birds, how about a Prunus caroliniana, our native cherry laurel? It's usually regarded as a shrub but is easily limbed up as a tree, single or multi-trunked. The seeds sprout and need to be pulled, but so do those of many natives, such as maples. Suckering wouldn't be a problem in a dry yard.

• alex_7b
    15 years ago

I would go with your original idea of Crape Myrtle, a Wax Myrtle or the Laurel Cherry. (Other types of Prunus tend to get galls, and are not drought tolerant). Dogwoods are slow to attain their mature height, which is within the limits you're looking for. If you don't need a canopy, you could also try a "Little Gem" Magnolia.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I have a Weeping Higan Cherry (Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula') in my side yard, that provides some shielding for the rear of the house and driveway. It also has white/pink flowers in the spring. See link below.
    In the front, there is a white Magnolia stellata (Star) on one side and a pink Magnolia x soulangiana (Saucer) on the other. Both are deciduous.
    Also have 8 fairly mature Japaneses Maples there (4 each side of entrance and some distance from the house.
    One is A.p. 'Sango Kaku' (Coral bark maple) that has winter interest.
    Fall color....

Winter color...

Others are;
    A.p. 'Wou Nishiki'...Fall color

and A.p. 'Ukigumo'...(Floating Clouds)

Recently have begun adding Native Azaleas and Camellias in front, under the mature hardwood and pine trees.
    Near the house, as foundation plants, are Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Variegatus', Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide' & Evergreen Azaleas (Kurume). All are pruned occasionally to keep them below the windows.

There are dozens of small trees and large shrubs to choose from, both native and non-native, deciduous or evergreen. It is your choice.
    Please do not plant a Bradford pear! It is already vastly overused.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Weeping Higan Cherry

• katharine_atl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for all of your wonderful advice (and pix!). I truly appreciate it.

-K

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm