Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikemud_2007

cofederate general azaleas

ilikemud_2007
15 years ago

I saw a beautiful deciduous yellow azalea this spring named General Semmes. I resisted the urge to bring it home, I really couldn't imagine where I would plant it. I'm still thinking about that beauty. I might have clear an area for a few of these this spring.

Anyone growing these?

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

'Admiral Semmes' is a hybrid between the native Rhododendron austrinum and one of the Exbury hybrids, I believe.

An azalea of such parentage would like morning sun and protection from the harshest afternoon sun. Spread the roots out in a slightly horizontal fashion as azaleas like wide but shallow root zones. Mulch well with pine bark mulch or pine straw to keep the roots cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: More about R. austrinum

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

That would be R. x 'Admiral Semmes', One of the "Confederate Generals Series" from Dodd & Dodd Nurseries, Semmes (near Mobile), AL.
    I bought several of those from Growers Outlet during the spring and actually got 2 of those planted!
    They perform very well in the south, because one of the parents is native to the lower South, Rhododendron austrinum, sometimes referred to as Florida Azalea. the other parent is one of the Exbury Azalea hybrids, R. x 'Hot Spur Yellow', whose parentage has not been revealed, but is likely a cross between a Native Azalea (maybe R. austrinum) and one of the European or Asian species, which most Exbury hybrids are.
    I am very pleased with them and hope to have the others planted by springtime! I have had to pull out some 40-50 year old evergreen Azaleas to make room for them. (Was tired of their drab colors anyway). My only other option is to convert some more lawn area into a shrub and flower bed. There isn't very much lawn left to work with, after gardening at this location for 40 years! I hate to mow grass anyway.
    I'd say, go for it, if you are able to find them this coming spring. Be sure to plant them "high", as Rhodies won't tolerate wet feet and they love acidic soil.

• ilikemud_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I have read about the parentage and hardiness I was just wondering how they were performing in real life.
    I haven't been out to growers outlet for a few years (the one time I went I was hopelessly lost on my way home) but if I can buy these there that would be fantastic and worth the trip.
    BTW thanks for not giving me a hard time on the typo

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I have one -Admiral Semmes-I planted 5 years or so ago and it's really nice. It's at the woodland edge and gets morning sun.

• bobbygil
    15 years ago

I got 2 from Perennial Grace last year. I dont know where you are but you might google her and e-mail her and see if she has any left. If she does she will sell them for half price. If you are near Hall county,they always have a spring master gardeners sale and I'm pretty sure you could find them there

• davidcf
    15 years ago

"Admiral Semmes" is the most floriferous for me. "Jeb Stuart" (I think that's right) is an orange that I also have. All grow with minimum attention in filtered sun.

• ilikemud_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw them this spring at Garden Wright in Cumming, and I am going to make room for a couple.
    When do they bloom? I know Floria Azaleas bloom late in the season.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

R. x 'Admiral Semmes' usually blooms in April-May for me, about the same time as the Florida Azalea, R. austrinum and Peidmont(Hoary) Azalea, R. canescens, but bloom time of native Azaleas can be influenced by hardiness Zone, elevation, sunlight exposure, microclimate, etc. and may bloom several weeks earlier or later.

Here's a look at bloom times of the ones I grow, courtesy of the Azalea Society of America...

Native Azaleas (in order of bloom)
    Â
    Hoary Azalea Rhododendron canescens March 25-April 25, pink to white, most common species
    Florida Azalea Rhododendron austrinum March 25-April 25, yellow to orange, fragrant, native to GA, AL, FL
    Pinkshell Azalea Rhododendron vaseyi April 5-22, pink to white, upper Piedmont & mountains [ note: 3-4 weeks later in the mountains]
    Oconee Azalea Rhododendron flammeum April 15-May 15, orange to red, withstands heat, drought
    Alabama Azalea Rhododendron alabamense April 22- May 15, white, blooms before leaves
    Coast Azalea Rhododendron atlanticum April 22-May 11, white to pink, midlands-coast, spreads
    Pinxterflower Rhododendron periclymenoides April 22-May 16, pink to white, does well statewide
    Hybrid Azalea Rhododendron x bakeri May-June, natural hybrid between canescens x flammeum, native only to Upson County, GA (proposed species)
    Swamp Azalea Rhododendron viscosum May 16-June 16, white, fragrant, likes wet sites
    Flame Azalea Rhododendron calendulaceum May 28-June 25, orange to red, Piedmont & mountains
    Sweet Azalea Rhododendron arborescens June 15-Aug 15, white, fragrant, very smooth all over
    Plumleaf Azalea Rhododendron prunifolium June 25-Sept. 10, red to orange, smooth foliage, Georgia native
    Hammocksweet Azalea Rhododendron serrulatum (Syn. R. viscosum var. serrulatum) July 12-Aug 30, white, fragrant, often forms colonies.
    (compiled and provided by Mike Creel, Azalea Society of America) Update Dec. 2008 Rb

The dates shown are for plants grown in Zone 7b/8a and can vary due to location, as noted above.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy & Prosperous New Year to all!
    Rb

Â Â

• PRO
    Mail-Order Natives
    8 years ago

Hi,
    Mail-Order Natives for confederate series azaleas R. ADMIRAL SEMMES www.mailordernatives.com

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner