Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing apples in Canton Georgia

Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 19, 11 at 12:15

I am planting the following apples and wonder if anyone has experience with them and willing to comment on their performance and taste here in Georgia; Golden Russet, Macoun, Fuji, and Hudon's Golden Gem and Ashmead's Kernel.

Thank you for your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing apples in Canton Georgia

Looks like all the GA apple growers are hibernating. Maybe there's someone from GA that checks the Fruit and Orchards Forum. One thing that's going to make a difference is WHERE in GA you are. People in northern GA have very similar climate conditions to what we have here in TN and even what can be found in most of Kentucky. Lower southern GA and especially southeastern areas (coastal and that general area) may be much different, so far as apples go.

o

What brandon said.

Most of the Ga apple orchards are North in the mountains. Have to work much harder in Atlanta due to increased pest and disease pressures, and fruit may not taste quite as good due to daily/nightly temperatures not being optimal.

I enjoy the challenge and compared to the store-purchased apples mine are much better, but sometimes it is easier just to go North in apple season and buy it from the orchards.

o

If you are in ATL try the ATL yahoo fruits forum, or try NAFEX

o

I have had hudson golden gem and ashmead kernal both in my yard for the past two years. The first year both grew great without any problems. This spring both trees bloomed alot and the golden gem had a ton of fireblight and would have set apples if not for it. The ashmead set two apples and were eaten by wasp before they fully ripened. It had one little fireblight strike that I pruned out. Fuji is by far the worst with fireblight in my yard so I removed it last week to make room for more muscadines.
Doyle

o

Anyone else growing Ashmead Kernal, Hudson's Golden Gem, or Kidds Orange Red in Georgia or surrounding states that can give me a progress report? I have these varieties on my fall order list but the folks at Cummins Nursery were unsure if they would grow well in this area. I am in a northern suburb of Atlanta thanks, Chris.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here