Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbrier517

How cold is too cold?

greenbrier517
14 years ago

I planted Turnips this year for the first time. I waited a month too late to plant according to my chart. I was wondering what is the lowest temperature that turnips can stand. Saturday night it is expected to be in the high 20's here where I live in Georgia. Will I need to cover them up or will they handle the cold just fine. This is my first year will a fall garden so I am still learning.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Throwing a sheet over them to keep the actual frost off should be enough. That's my normal plan of attack!!!

• lrvjim
    14 years ago

Turnips are very cold hardy and can stand a frost. Temps in the high 20's should not hurt your turnip greens, as a matter of fact many people say that the flavor of turnips and collards is improved, or 'sweetened' by a light frost.

• greenbrier517
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!!!

If they can make it through this weeks frigid temperatures then they should be okay.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Forget about "frost", we have been seeing temperature drop
    to 15F. We have had freezing nights for the last week or so and there seems to be no end at sight. Throwingblanket is not going to help.
    To me this year so far(January i.e.) has been the coldest persistantly for so long around here. Amazingly it has been as cold as the Northeast states even colder here.
    This is a joke, I don't believe in global warming. hehe.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Cyrus, you are right.
    I don't believe in global warming, I believe now that we are causing unpredictable global extremes. Which I believe is even worse. Very frustrating to people trying to grow food!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Lets count our causualties now. Do you have any?

I have a few; My chinese/korean big radishes are gone.
    Chinese cabbages/nappa have fallen flat. Will they rise up when it gets a bit warmer? we shall see.
    kohlrabies, cabbages seem to be alive and fighting. So are the lettuce and arugulas. Garlics and parsley are well and alive, so are thyme and sage, onions, leeks.
    We will do another count of the causualties in the spring.
    Will my stevias, lemon grass and horse radishes come back?
    I had covered them with fall leaves before this cold.
    This year was a good testing laboratory for cold/freez hardiness in mid-north GA.
    Maybe there will some benefits with all this cold and it may have killed some bad insects.

• bitsya
    14 years ago

Unbelievable, this cold in our neck of the woods!

My broccoli & cabbage are still hanging in there; I didn't cover anything.

What's REALLY unbelievable...my wave petunias that I started from seed last year & that thrived all summer and fall...are STILL alive! And actually look very healthy & green. Every day I go to look at them, thinking the previous night's 20 deg. temps would have done them in...and they're still going.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

cyrus, has Stevia or lemon grass ever come back for you? I've seen it come back in the veggie garden at Callaway, but not in the city for some reason...I took mine inside where it's 58 and it's thriving and multiplying nicely. I don't grow stevia but it used to die in pots at the nursery and not come back...

Please tell me more about growing nappa cabbage? I would like to grow it but I've heard it gets super buggy here. Have you grown it before?

I'm hoping my dakon have survived. It is under a tent, although the tent, it's not heated or anything. I'm hoping that keeping moist and cold air off of it will help. I haven't looked at the kales today, but yesterday they seemed alright. Frankly it's hard to tell what is just frozen solid and upright, and what is toast...

So far I can see perennial veggies are fine, it looks like most of the endives are fine. The gardenias are not very pleased, and the pittosporum have frost burn (easy to cut off...)

GGG

• WestEnder
    14 years ago

Stevia came back from the roots at Truly Living Well last year; it was late to show up and I was surprised to see it, didn't know at first what it was but when I tasted one of the tiny leaves there was no mistaking it. The roots look similar to bears breeches roots, long white ropy things all coming from a central point at the ground.

I can't imagine that lemon grass would make it through even our ordinary winter cold weather; we brought ours indoors in the fall.

Horseradish will live through any extreme cold; I think it may be native to Russia. Hope you've already harvested some roots, Cyrus, but if not, you should do so when the weather warms up enough to soften the ground. They say that horseradish gets hotter in flavor after a couple of frosts; it should be burning hot after this cold spell!

• greenbrier517
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I decided to cover my Turnips with newspaper extra thick, then put a thick layer of hay on top of that. It still didn't prevent them from getting burned. But they MADE IT!! I was extremely surprised to find them showing signs of life. I bet it has stunted their growth for a while. Maybe it is best just to start a new crop as it is about time to make spring plantings isn't it?

I know one thing, I have had enough of this extreme freezing temperatures. I'll bet that Florida has too.

How'd y'all fair out?

Joe

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

GGG, this was my first season with both Stevia and Lemon grass. I have heavily covered them with oak leaves. I am crossing my fingers. With Lemon grass, it is not a big deal. I can get some from HMART and root them. Very easy.
    About napa, I have had lots of snails and did not do anything about it. they did ok. Again this was my first year. I have some real big ones that have fallen flat but the smaller ones look OK. I think the roots and core are alive.
    They were doing fine when it was in 20s-F. But 14-15F, haha.
    But lettuce and Aurugulas were big surprise, no casualties there.
    I hope the worst is over. HOPE!

Sponsored