Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blessedbe_gw

Rose care (total newby)

blessedbe
13 years ago

I've owned my house for almost 4 years. The elderly lady who lived there previously had three rose plants growing. They weren't doing spectacularly, but they were making it. I don't know what kind they are...they're not tea roses or bushy ones, just the regular red kind. They do have a smell so they're more like old fashioned roses, though not single petaled. Two get full sun in the backyard along a fence and the other one gets morning sun against an easterly facing wall. I tried to train the few shoots on that one to a rose trellis, but it never worked. It now has one long, thin shoot that is now about 10 feet tall and doubling over. Should I cut it back down to the ground and start again? The two in the back have had problems with the black spots for the last couple of years. I did what I read online and cut off all the areas that were affected. There are no spots on it now, I'm not sure if there will be in the spring. Should I prune any of these roses back and if so, how far and when? I am going to check out a book about rose care, but in the meantime I'm just wondering if I should already be pruning. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Hi, I don't know anything about Roses, but the UGA CAES puts out good publications and here is one on roses.

Hopefully some gardeners will chime in too. Are you in North Georgia like near Atlanta?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose culture for Georgia Gardeners

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

You will need to find a book for SOUTHERN rose culture, as we don't do some of the things northerners have to do. The rose forum on GW has some Atlanta rosarians, and you can contact the rose society of Georgia and ask lots of questions.
    When does your rose bloom? All year, or spring?

When a rose throws out a really long cane it can be for several reasons. It could be a climber or a rambler that has just been pruned to a rose form. Your rose could also be grafted to a root stock, and the stock has grown a cane..the canes of rootstock are generally long and whippy, and need to be removed. If you search on "google" you can see photos of "own root" and "grafted" roses (look for pictures of the graft junction) so you know what to look for.
    I'm in Atlanta, and I normally leave my roses all winter and prune them in February after I see initial budding up. I prune them as they prefer (over time I've figured out what suits each where it is located). If you are finding they are rather slow, they may need to be fertilized. The rose forum and Esh's link should tell you what they need. Mine get compost tea & alfalfa pellets. Frankly, I don't worry too much about black spot. I have been growing resistant but not clean varieties of roses, but if need be I use a home made spray (cornell formula).

• blessedbe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I have downloaded the book from UGA and am perusing it. I believe the one cane growing on the side of the house must be from rootstock, because it is thin and whip like as you described. My plan at this point is to take some pictures of the roses and consult with a rosarian.

• buford
    13 years ago

Hi there, I'm guessing the roses you have is Dr. Huey. It's the root stock of most roses and I see it quite often here in North Georgia. It's actually a nice rose, but it's blackspot prone and only blooms once a year in the spring. If you want to keep it, you can train that cane horizontally and it will put out flowers along the cane.

Does the bloom look like this?:

{{gwi:845240}}

Unfortunately most roses will black spot here in Georgia. If you don't want to spray fungicide, you may want to look at knock out roses. They are landscape roses, meaning they will be a full bush with nice blooms, but don't have any scent and don't make good cutting roses. Think of them as summer azaleas.

There are many other roses out there, if you go on the Rose forums, you will be enable to may different kinds.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

My roses don't black spot. You must choose carefully. The rose forum offers wonderful suggestions in alternative to Knock Out roses if you'd like no-spray, clean roses.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I'm not sure where you are in Georgia... but if you're anywhere near Marietta, there's going to be a one hour free discussion at Cobb Central library in February all about SOUTHERN Rose gardening. I'm planning on going because I've had lots of issues with trying to grow roses as well. The date is February 11th. I have the link saved somewhere.. but if you're interested, let me know and I'll find it and send it to you. Meanwhile, good luck! :)

~Wendy

• buford
    13 years ago

Darn, I'd love to go but it's on a Friday :(

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction