Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_cardin

Can I plant now?

Beth Cardin
13 years ago

My wonderful husband gave me a sweet olive and a heuchera 'Miracle' for Christmas. They are both in tiny little plastic pots and are relatively happy right now hanging out in my garage. However, I don't know what would be best for them- to let them hang out in their tiny little pots outside, to try to plant them in a bigger pot outside so their roots don't get so cold, or to try to put them in the ground where I want them. What do y'all think? It's been a pretty cold winter so far, and that's why I'm wondering.

Comments (6)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Assuming the sweet olive is hardy where you live, I'd definitely recommend planting them out now. Hardy woody plants and perennials do best when planted anytime between mid fall and early spring, as long as the ground is not frozen (unlikely anywhere in GA).

I do have a slight concern about the sweet olive if you live in a colder part of northern GA. Some areas in northern GA can be near mid-zone 7, and Osmanthus fragrans is usually rated around 7b. If you live in middle or southern GA or a warmer part of northern GA, then you should definitely be clear. If you are in a colder, northern area, at least be sure to mulch it well if you plant it out now.

One other thing to consider is whether the plants are properly hardened off. A decent nursery would most likely have had them ready to go out, but it's possible they came form a heated greenhouse environment and were not ready to meet outdoor conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairly accurate/current hardiness zone map

• Beth Cardin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! That's really helpful- I guess I'll leave them in the garage for a little bit and then plant them out with a nice little mulch blanket!

• alex_7b
    13 years ago

I don't know the two plants you've named, but here's a good "rule of thumb".
    If they're deciduous you can plant them. If they're evergreen, wait until spring.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

...except some deciduous plants may be too tender and croak before getting established if planted in an area where they are marginally hardy, and, most hardy evergreens would do just fine if planted this time of year in areas where the ground doesn't freeze for a significant period (all of GA). I think a modified version of that rule of thumb would probably work good in colder climates, but it doesn't seem accurate to me in areas like GA (or even TN).

• scmatlanta_gw
    13 years ago

I'd go the other route : pot them up using good all purpose potting soil into slightly bigger pots, keep them somewhere sheltered and keep them damp (outside not in garage)then plant later in the spring.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

"I'd go the other route : pot them up using good all purpose potting soil into slightly bigger pots, keep them somewhere sheltered and keep them damp (outside not in garage)then plant later in the spring."

I'm curious as to why you'd do that. Leaving them outside in a pot would expose the root systems (which are much more sensitive to cold temperatures) to much colder temperatures. You could bury the pot, I guess, but why go to that trouble? Two other concerns would be double transplant shock (once now and then again when you plant in the ground) and less time for the root system to become established before summer heat. I don't see the up sides to doing it that way.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner