Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

'Black Lace' Sambucus

Iris GW
15 years ago

I know several people have been looking for this and I haven't seen it in stores all year.

As a result of looking at Buck Jones's site about apple trees, I just noticed that the Grayson location is featuring 'Black Lace' in 2 gallon container for $5 (five bucks). They say it is a December special, so I guess that means the price is only good TOMORROW.

Sorry about the short notice, but maybe someone can take advantage of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other specials listed here as well

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

They have a bunch of stuff I want, but there is no place to put it or hold it right now. At least I know they carry it! Thanks Esh!

• laylaa
    15 years ago

That is pretty. I've not been brave enough to grow elderberry due to suckering - I have enough to maintain - and it being party poisonous. I have a fruit, vegetable, general salad eating dog who I believe is part coyote. All the world is her buffet. I have read the black lace does not sucker as much and I can plant out of my domestic coyote's area. Can anyone tell me how well it grows here and what it requires? It's supposed to be a good wildlife plant so I may try it.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine hasn't suckered in 3 years. It grows fine here - I have mine in full sun. Can't say that it is a good wildlife plant as it has not set any fruit although it bloomed heavily. It could be a cross pollination issue (needing another plant of a different variety to help with pollination); even my regular elderberry only sets fruit on about half the flowers.

I think elderberry suckers most in wet areas. My regular elderberry hasn't suckered and it is not in a wet area. Along the creekbank, I have lots of small ones, but they never get higher than kneehigh. I wonder if the deer keep them trimmed?

Perhaps other folks could chime in on the suckering issue and whether they have it in a wet or dry area.

• laylaa
    15 years ago

after more checking, seems the black lace is supposed to be self pollinating but does better with another S. nigra - I have seen Black Beauty mentioned. However it does not seem to be too reliable in the berry department, just reliable in the flower department. I may try the Woodstock Buck Jones to see if they have it just to see one in person.

Thank you for pointing it out - new ideas are great. I tend to be too focused on certain types of plants.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I find it hard to take a GOOD picture of it, but here is one of my pictures. The flower is pinkish colored and shows up nicely against the dark foliage.

• laylaa
    15 years ago

I've been swamped but thanks for the photo. It's a great contrast, bet it looks lovely in a night garden with the right backdrop. Which of course means I'll have to have it. Evening in the garden is my favorite. No work, just relax.