Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goingsouth_gw

Ty Ty - pulling a fast one!

goingsouth
18 years ago

ok, was looking for some information on bamboo online and found this site (http://www.aaronscanna-amaryllis.com//)which is listed as Aarons Nursey in Sumner Georiga.

Two things about the site I noticed includes the mailing address as a PO Box in Sumner (about 10 miles from Ty Ty) and one more thing. Take a look and see if anyone else notices something about this site that reminds you of the old Ty Ty site......

This is Ty Ty trying to do business as another company. BEWARE!!!!

Comments (14)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

I must say that reading the FAQ on Aaron's site is a HOOT. There are so many restrictions and double speak in that FAQ that you'd be a fool to order from them. And shipping is 25% of every order (and the order minimum is $50)!

You can't return anything unless you get approval first! Then they will give you a number to write on the package. Keep a copy of your order, they don't keep copies of customer orders, they say. And they don't give refunds.

But this is the best line: Plus, all of our plants are inspected by the USDA to guarantee they'll be free of insects and disease.

I'd like to see the poor USDA inspector out there looking at every item (especially since they say they ship thousands of items a day and don't call to check your order until 4-5 pm since they are too busy the rest of the day).

I've have no doubt this is Ty Ty. It is just that outrageous.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

Other companies listed at the same location in Ty Ty are:
    Aaron's Bulb Company
    New South Nursery
    Aristotle Willis Company
    Plantation Bulb Company
    Rb

• goingsouth
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Rb for those other companies. I try to do business with local companies but also do not want to get "taken" by Ty Ty "doing business as...". Guess I need to be careful of any company in this area of the state!

Oh, the other thing that tipped me off - this site used the SAME STUPID PICTURES that are on the Ty Ty site!

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. And regarding those stupid pictures, they are using the "sex sells" motto of advertising I guess, putting good looking models Very prominently in their ads. It's totally weird. And I recently got in the mail "Horticulture" and "Organic Gardening" and TyTy has ads in one or both of those--I remember thinking, they're advertising in legitimate, superior magazines. "Buyer beware" is the motto, but most average plant consumers I suppose aren't avid gardeners who do their research on forums such as this one and the garden watchdog so they wouldn't have a warning.

rb

• HoneyGum_SugarBush
    18 years ago

Although I'm not sticking up for tyty in any way, shape or form... I do have to give them credit for their photography and marketing. With their horrible reputation, the fact that they can stay in business and lure in more people with that catalog says something about the catalog. And it's rare to find photos of plants in the actual size they are supposed to arrive in which they do some times.
    Enough compliments though, they should change their name to Invasives-R-Us.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

This is my favorite nursery, hands-down! I order from them frequently, as they have some very unusual plants and a marvelous guarantee. Be sure to check out their book selections. Most are very rare! I will guarantee that you won't find some of those at amazon.com. I would heartily recommend this company.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Shady Deals Nursery

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Boy, I grew that "toejam" toadlily. Whadda stink when it blooms,

:)

GGG

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

Thanks RB. I saw a tree I just have to have - OH, wait a minute - it's in my bedroom:

Acer saccharinum 'Firewood' $3.00
    Delivers a never-ending supply of self-cut wood to your front yard, driveway, roof..

• goingsouth
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My favorite book on this site:
    "Heal Your Own Damn Self with Herbs from the HMO Assoc. of America."

• Eddie_GA
    18 years ago

Oh yeah, Shady Deals Nursery, I put a link to them on my site years back - hilarious. They would be eligible for one of my greenthingie.com awards if they weren't so anonymous. I highly recommend them.

Now about TyTy - worst reputation in the world and deservedly so.

• vroomp
    18 years ago

I got my Emus from Shady. I was able to train them to pull weeds.

• nosyrosie
    18 years ago

Well, I finally found time to read the link, Razorback. I did LAUGH OUT LOUD a couple of times so it was WELL WORTH IT! I certainly love some of them book titles like Alpines to Know and Kill. And how about that Juncus?

rb

• mcrean1
    18 years ago

Adding to the conversation here, check out this blurb on TyTy:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rip Off Report on TyTy

• wabikeguy
    15 years ago

On May 23, I finally received a full refund from Ty Ty (aka "Arrons" aka "The Nursery at Ty Ty") with numerous other DBA's.
    For those of you unfortunate enough to do business with these people........here's what I did.

After 8 or 9 attempts to work with them on my own, I contacted the Georgia Better Business Bureau. This was a complete waste of time.

The Nursery owner, Patrick Malcolm, told the BBB that he sent me a refund and the BBB closed out my case. Only problem was........he never sent the check.

I next contacted the Georgia Dpt of Consumer Affairs. Nelson Mitchell handled my case and, within four weeks, I received my refund. Funny thing though. The check was dated April 28, 2008, but the envelope it was contained in was postmarked 19 May, 2008.

I would highly recommend that anyone having difficulty with this "nursery" (and I use the term loosely) contact the Georgia Office of Consumer Affairs like I did. I have included their address and phone number below:

Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs
    2 Martin Luther King Jr., Drive SE, Suite 356
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334-4600

Phone: 404-651-8600

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting