Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID

Posted by frankielynn 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 10 at 22:45

We went to Asheville NC this weekend and I saw this shrub used in several islands. It had brown twigs with red berries all down the branches, no leaves. About 3 feet tall. Husband was driving and not inclined to stop for me to get a better look. Sort of looked like a holly without leaves. Very festive looking. Does anyone know what this might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

I have looked at Red Sprite deciduous holly but it does not look like this photo--right size, similar berries. It was individual long stems with berries all along them. It did not have the masses of small branches seen in the red sprite photos and stems/branches were light brown. It looked like the silk branches covered in berries seen at craft stores but live.

o

It certainly sounds like one of the deciduous hollies ('Red Sprite' is one cultivar of Ilex verticillata). Look also at pictures of Ilex decidua, but that one is not used as much.

o

Was it like a holly because the berries looked like holly berries or because of its form and/or other features? If only because of the berries, it could also be something like 'Winter King' hawthorn or even one of the small-fruit crabapples. I'm not familiar with the craft store goodies, so I can't really use that part of the description for ideas.

o

Hawthorn and crabapples have fruit that dangles from a stem whereas holly would be very close to the twig with little or no visible stem on it. So that is something to consider.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here