Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick growing cheap grass seed?

Posted by theconstantgardeners 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 23:23

Hey guys,
We recently moved into a new house in Athens and all of my free time has been spent reclaiming much of the property from kudzu. Please spare the "it's pointless" posts because I've done more work and research than can be imagined.

My question is if anyone knows of a cheap quick growing grass I could use to seed a recently reclaimed hill. The quality isn't really important.

A few details to clarify: My strategy at this point is about 4 pronged, but includes getting the hill to the point where I can mow it next year (which I've done), and I have new herbicide to use next year (Milestone) that is EXTREMELY non-toxic (look it up) and extremely selective (grass is not affected). Which brings us back to the grass. Grass or other ground cover makes it a little harder for new kudzu seeds to take root. I wouldn't be opposed to a ground cover, but I don't want to introduce another invasive species to the situation.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick growing cheap grass seed?

I say GREAT! Not pointless at all to fight the Kudzu.

Fescue would be the cheapest and as a cool season grass, would get the best start in the spring. Perhaps mix a little Winter Rye in as well (but it will die out come spring). But it might have a better chance this time of year and the fescue will come out more in the spring.

If you change your mind on what to do with the hill later, fescue is also easier to get rid of than the warm season grasses like bermuda.

o

We were very late getting grass seed planted this year. We are converting some beds to lawn. We didn't get the seed laid until the weekend before Thanksgiving. It is now nice length fescue. Ready for its first cut if it dries out a bit. I thought we were wasting the seed but thought the yard would look better with the straw over the grass seed than a big mud pit. Pleasantly surprised it all sprouted.

o

I can recommend the lesco brand seed from home depot. Cost less than the others and I like it a heck of a lot better as far as texture and color. It also beats the more known names for germination with a very big stick in my opinion and I have tied a few. The lesco sprouted quite well in the crud hard clay we seeded for erosion until we can get to it. It germinated outstanding in the area we worked the soil and seeded for HOA happiness.

We did use the lesco starter fertilizer - this is great stuff and a little goes a long way.

o

Germination for fescue (and other grasses) depends on soil temperature. So if you put it down now, it really just depends on soil temps as to how well it will germinate now.

No harm in trying, of course.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here