Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kin2mice

Central Ohio Plant Swap - Spring 2013 Date announcement

kin2mice
11 years ago

Greetings Gardeners! This is Mouse (aka: Rebecca), Kim, and Sarah H. and we would like to announce the Central Ohio Plant Swap for Spring of 2013! We have reserved a covered shelter at the usual park in Hilliard, Ohio for the plant swap/pot luck on Saturday, May 18, 2013. It's the 12th year for this swap and the first with the three of us in charge! This is a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extras. Everyone who is a gardener (including children) is welcome to swap/pick throughout the swapping rounds.
Here is the basic information:
Date: Saturday, May 18, 2013
Time: 10:00 am
Place: 3800 Veterans Memorial Drive, Hilliard, OH 43026 Shelter A - Aspen, Hilliard Municipal Park. (Same place as previous spring swaps; brief directions further below)
-come with a happy & sharing heart
-swap is free (donations gratefully accepted to cover shelter cost)
-every item is considered equal (ie: 1 little plant only 3" high is equal in trade/swap to a big rose bush or a non plant item and vice versa)
-try to bring a sized plant to swap that you'd be happy receiving
-arranging private swaps ahead of time is totally allowed, but should be done aside from the swap general viewing areas
-bring a sturdy container to carry your newly acquired beauties while we're actually doing the swap rounds

TRADING MATERIALS: plants potted or presented well, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, trees, happy seedlings, garden ornaments, bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, bundles of seeds, anything else that can be used in a garden setting, etc.
ALL PLANT MATERIALS SHOULD BE MARKED WITH THE PLANT'S NAME AND CARE (shade, sun, etc) THEY REQUIRE! Also, mark any plants as invasive or poisonous, if known.
POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to share with serving utensils & your own beverage. We would also like to go a bit more "GREEN" this year ask that you bring your own reusable plates and eating utensils. We'll provide some for those who forget or don't have any, but we would like there to be as little waste as possible. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name. We can promise that the food will be terrific!!
DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Over the years we have had many really neat prizes!!

This is the plan for the day:
10:00a -12:00noon - sign-in with name/number of plants, (if you wish to sign up for our email list please leave email address at sign in) receive a name tag, put plants in viewing area under proper category, food in shelter area, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.
Noon - have lunch & award door prizes
1:00pm - swap begins
After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes
This plant swap is free...but, if anyone wants to donate toward the cost of the shelter it would be greatly appreciated - THANK YOU!!

This year the swapping will be slightly different from others:
Round One - pick ONE plant
2nd Round - pick TWO plant
3rd Round - pick THREE plants
4th Round - pick FOUR plants
after the 4th round - we will (depending on what is left) announce "free for all", which means that you can take as many plants as you wish irreguardless of how many you have all ready taken.
Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they have brought if they find something suitable that they desire. Everyone should be able to get a few "choice" plants that they really wanted. Those who were unable to bring much in trade (new-comers, just moved, small space, etc...) have the opportunity to take home 'lots of wonderful "orphaned" plants who haven't been chosen during the first 4/5 rounds of the swap (from those who brought way, way too many plants to the swap and do not want to take them home). Every item is considered equal when swapping.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) You will see an Urgent Care, also. You stay directly on the park's main road, go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter Aspen. The shelter just left of the children's play area.

Some tips for the day would include:
-bring a folding chair/blanket
-bring a box/container (labeled with your name) to put your new plants in after swapping
-bring a wagon (if you have room in your car) to help get plants to and from your car
Please post here what plants/non plant items you are bringing (this will help in doing private trades) as well as the potluck dish you intend to bring (so we don't have too many of one thing).
Please email or post here with RSVP so we can get an approximate head count. Please email (via the Gardenweb system) with any questions.
There a Facebook group discussing the swap: Central Ohio Plant Swap.
This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! Feel free to bring a gardening friend. Please email (via the Gardenweb system) with any questions. Hope you can make it to the swap.
Good gardening..., Mouse, Kim, and Sarah H.
PS - PLEASE DO NOT LINK THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO ANY OTHER WEBSITES (such as Craigslist) WITHOUT CLEARING IT WITH KIM, SARAH H. OR MOUSE (REBECCA). Thank you

Comments (50)

• steph98
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great- can't wait! Spring will be here before you know it!
    Stephanie

• alison
    11 years ago

Yay! It's on the calendar, and I'm starting to think about what I plan to bring -- and what I hope to find! I hope to start some cute little terrariums with action figures this weekend, and they should be well and established by May.

• soregreenthumb
    11 years ago

AWESOME! I just got a new house with one whole NAKED ACRE! And I can't wait to get some new plants to start my fabulous new life :) See you in May!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is going to be a great year! Soregreenthumb,can't wait to meet you! If you live in the Columbus area there is a garden club called "Garden Club a'la Mouse" we do all sorts of garden activities, field trips and garden helps (where we go to someones house and help them with their garden often getting great advice and extra plants). There is a facebook page if you are interested.

• soregreenthumb
    11 years ago

I live in Canal Winchester and I'm very interested! :)

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great hope to see you there!

• storygardener
    11 years ago

This sounds like fun!!! Can't wait. Thanks for doing the swap.

B

• alison
    11 years ago

Picked up a great haul of glassware thrifting last month, and will start a few terrariums this weekend. I've had a heck of time getting moss established (I know, right? It grows everyhere in nature, but does *not* like to be disturbed!) so that, of course, is what I have my heart set on....

Happy first day of spring, everyone -- it's coming!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alison, if you need more moss I have some in my front yard and my folks have a small wooded area out in the "back 40" that you can snoop around in if you would like. Also I'll have a bunch of cleaned out light bulbs if you would like to use those for terrariums in the next week or two.

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tell everyone you know that this is shaping up to be the best swap ever!

See you all there!
    Mouse

• nuskewl
    10 years ago

YaY!! I'll most certainly be there!! I have garden things to swap as well as plants. I have a "Swap" bag going in the garage!! I don't know off-hand what I have out there. I'm also always keepin' my eyes pealed for hoses being thrown away or other garden items not wanted, along the curb.

I'm looking for:

-crocus bulbs
    I'd like some purple & yellow. I got some white ones from the swap last year (they came up this year!! They're so pretty!!)

tulip bulbs
    white, striped (whatever color), pink, purple, orange,

-echinacea
    white, red, green, yellow, pink, peach

I'll have, most definitely, for the swap (or trade "behind the scenes" [private trades]):
    -Liriope (AKA: Lilyturf, Monkey Grass)
    -Salvia
    -Sweet Woodruff (Asperula Odorata)

• strmywthr3
    10 years ago

ready for warmer weather and the swap!! My parents will be visiting from michigan and are coming to the swap with me. My dad is a gardener too, so I'm sure he'll be looking for some goodies too.

Barbi

• shadowgarden
    10 years ago

Hi guys,

Just back from Mexico and getting organized. We four plan to come. I hope to bring some glass. I would do a private swap for wake robins (Red trilliums) or dark red helleborus. Would anyone like little pond goldfish?

Rebecca

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nuskewl - I have some yellow and purple crocus for you. I'll get them dug up when the leaves die back as long as you don't mind them mixed up. They are early bloomers and the flowers have already faded. If you want them before the swap you can come and dig them. I live near the Hilltop in Columbus.

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey! Rebecca (Shadowgarden), I'd love some little pond goldfish. I only had a couple survive the winter and so I need to restock. Glad you are back safe and sound from Mexico we missed you!!!!!!!

• shadowgarden
    10 years ago

Hi Rebecca,

I'll bring some fishies about 8 to 10 sound right? I can bring more but as I recall yuour pond is not to big. I got tons of the little rascals. Hope I can catch them!

Rebecca

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shadowgarden! That sounds fantastic! Thank you! I'll keep my eye out for anyone with wake robins or dk red helleborus and shoot them your way!

• nuskewl
    10 years ago

Thanks Mouse! I'd love some of your crocuses!!

See'ya soon...

NuSkewl

(AKA - your friend & plant-swappartnerin-crime...Sarah) ;>

• sunburygirl
    10 years ago

Hi, just wanted to let you know that Karen, Jodye, my husband Ken and myself (Nancy) plus whatever dogs intend to show up with various plants. Most will probably be heritage tomatoes, but we always have other stuff. Will bring food and might have two guest which live nearby and had never heard about the swap. Should be fun!!!

• alison
    10 years ago

The more the merrier!

I'm starting to pot things up. I hope to have a few cool terariums to bring, but as or the plants themselves -- it will be a lot of one-off items. Sort of a 'grab bag of the garden'!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got a few things potted up but I'll do most of them in the up coming weeks. My folks have quite a bit to bring. Can't wait to see everyone there! Alison, your terrariums will be the hit of the swap!

• storygardener
    10 years ago

Hi folks: Here is my trade list if folks are interested in a private trade.

Plants to trade:
    Shasta Daisy Becky
    Rudbeckia nitida 'Herbstsonne' ... 5ft, bright yellow flower
    Tradescantia ..." Spiderwort ... blue
    Aster - tall - purple - fall
    Cranesbill Geranium Sanguinium

Plants I am looking for:
    balloon flower
    variegated Hosta ... medium
    Heurchera ... any purple or light yellow leaved one
    Phlox paniculata ... any color except white
    Maidenhair fern

Good gardening.... see you soon.... Beverly

PS. I posted this list on FB too.

This post was edited by storygardener on Tue, May 14, 13 at 17:50

• alison
    10 years ago

Do I know those yellow iris, Bev? :)

I've got several varigated hostas that have been a nice medium size. Dark green with white edges, and a soft green with white/light green brushes in the middle of the leaves. Neither are named, but are solid citizens in my shade garden.

I've also got some super dark purple heuchera, 'Plum Pudding" if you're interested.

I'd love some of your knautia or hellebore!

• storygardener
    10 years ago

Alison... my yellow iris' are actually from a swap I went to in Michigan of about 8 years ago. I went with Michigan Betty. (from Betty & Ron) :)

I'd love some of your dark green hosta with the white edges and some dark purple heuchera. Thanks so much! I will pot you up some knautia and hellebore. This hellebore self seeds all over my garden. You will love it. It's been in bloom in my garden since the end of February.

• steph98
    10 years ago

I've got some hostas to do a private trade(s) with: Riptide; Blue Arrow; Green Mouse Ears; Savannah Supreme (2); and Pineapple upsidedown cake. Anyone interested?
    I've also got some great sedum mediovarigadum clippings.
    Stephanie

• alison
    10 years ago

Thanks, Bev!

I'm looking for both sun and shade; I know I'd like some Mrs. Moon pulmonaria and some low-growing bergamot, but other than that I'm pretty open.

Here's what I'll be bringing:

Hosta - small pots of Royal Standard, Blue Arrow, a med green with white edges, a medium green with white splashes down the center
    Iris - gold German iris, pale lavendar German iris (almost white)

kamchatka sedum -- low growing, bright yellow blooms
    chocolate mint - smells like a York peppermint patty
    Jupiter's Beard - white and red-pink flowers lure bees and butterflies
    Echinacea seedlings
    a peach tree seedling that is about 2' tall

and probably lots of one-off plants as I find them

• jeanne
    10 years ago

Mom and I can't wait! Mom (Merry Dawn) has got a few pots of Jack in the Pulpits ready, I've got ornamental grass Gracillimus, purple lilacs, heuchera seedlings and roses potted up, lots more.

It seems like the late winter set me back a bit, I don't have as much ready as I usually do at this stage of the game. I'm sure by the day the swap gets here I'll be trying to figure out how to stuff as much in the car as I possibly can, like I do every year, lol. See you all then!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Alison I'd like that small peach tree. Is there anything that you are looking for?

• alison
    10 years ago

I'll put your name on the peach, Mouse. It's Reliance, that started itself last spring.

I'm looking for Mrs. Moon pulmonaria, and Mouse Ears (or Blue Mouse Ears), or other striking mini hosta for the shady back yard.

Or a low bergamot for the sunny front yard.

But I'm always open to suggestions!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmmm.. I don't have any of those. I do have lots and lots of sedums, some great hens and chicks, bleeding heart (white and red), ostrich ferns, horsetail, yellow water lilies, and a few starts of my red crimson pirate daylily. I might also have some jack in the pulpit and various kinds of violets (freckles, confederate, Labrador, and full white). I have mostly shade to part sun. Oh! I also have a very wide selection of mints if you collect those.

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ATTENTION!!!!! All those who are coming to the swap in MAY, I have been informed that there will be just a limited amount of tables/chairs available. (They have said this in the past, but this year it's a new gal in charge of the rentals so it could be different.) So you might want to bring a blanket or chairs to sit on while eating. We'll have enough for the food, sign in, and door prizes. Also don't forget we are encouraging people to bring their own plates and utensils so we can cut down on the trash we leave behind. See you all there!

• alison
    10 years ago

Oooh.... white bleeding heart would be lovely!

• shadowgarden
    10 years ago

I've got some glass flowers and mushrooms made.

Mouse, I'm not sure about the fish I tried to catch some for a friend the other day and they all were too fast for me. I will bring some if I can catch them.

Rebecca

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rebecca, don't worry if you can't catch any fish. I have at least one left over from last year and I can always get some of the feeder fish later. Can't wait to see you there!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alison - I'll dig you up some. THANK YOU!

• cousinbigg
    10 years ago

Hi!
    A friend of mine and I are planning to be at the event next weekend. We will be bringing a banana plant, coral bells and ostrich ferns. We are really looking forward to meeting everyone!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CousinBigg, Welcome and looking forward to seeing you and your friend.

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the link to the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/centralohioplantswap

if anyone needs it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Central Ohio Plant Swap

• dan101
    10 years ago

I'll be there. I will probably be bringing a mango salsa with chips to the potluck.
    For the swap I'll be bringing several lemongrass plants that I have rooted and potted up. Also a few different varieties of cherry tomatoes. Probably also a pot of yellow aquatic iris, and a water lily or two (either white or red; I'm not sure of the specific variety.)

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dan101, I'd love to trade for one of your waterlilies and lemon grass. I have some pale yellow waterlilies and LA blue marsh iris. If not are you looking for anything? See you Saturday!

• jh54
    10 years ago

Count on two more for Saturday's event! loving how my garden is coming together over the years with the sweet plants I've swapped, and even giving some onto others - Thank You!

• alison
    10 years ago

Well, I've got most of the things labelled, well-watered, and loaded in their crates.

I've got my folding chair, hat, and some paper plates and utensils already in the car.

I'm making lemon chess pie and maybe an icebox cake tomorrow.

I'm getting excited!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's TOMORROW!!!!! I am so excited I think my whiskers have curled!

I have almost everything packed and ready to go. Just have to get the final stuff sorted out.

• sproutlinda
    10 years ago

Hosta stiletto

hardy geranium rainbow

spearmint

peppermint

catmint

ostrich ferns

hardy petunia

sage

blue eyed grass

woodland spurge

night blooming cereus

korean bell flowers

black eyed susans

lettuce, salad mix

sweet woodruff

triple ditch lilies

lambs ear

var. solomon seal

arch angel ( cariegated leaf, yellow flower)

wil ginger

mixed foxgloves

helleborous

heirloom christmas cactus, rooted starts 100 yr old*

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE! This year we had 112 people sign in and...well... way to many plants to count! :-) Also a GIANT thank you for helping us go green. We really appreciate it. We saw many "newbies" and many "old" friends a combination that made a highly successful swap with less then 10, yes 10 left over plants! We sincerely hope all of you had as good of time as we did. If there are any suggestions for improvements or constructive criticism please let us know either by PM or here. Thank you again to Beverly Nelson Comer and Mimi Ninde the two ladies who started it all and then graciously passed the "shovel" to us.

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lost and Found: 1 pair of wire rimmed eye glasses - they look like a fairly strong pair of reading glasses. 1 purple small cushion thingy. If these are yours(or you know whose they are) please let me know via this feed or via email. Thank you!

• storygardener
    10 years ago

Thanks to Mouse, Sarah, & Kim for hosting the Spring Swap. I know the swap is in very capable hands, for sure! We appreciate all your efforts!

Thanks to folks for all their great plants, personal trade goodies, door prizes (I got the maidenhair from Granny 57 via her pick.), yummy food, great conversations and more. It was wonderful to see folks again - and meet some new people too. I even had a chance to visit with people this year.

Now... Murray will be busy planting all the newbies to our gardens. (lucky guy!)

Thanks again... and good gardening to all.

Beverly

• shadowgarden
    10 years ago

We had a wonderful time! Thanks for everything!

Rebecca

• strmywthr3
    10 years ago

I had a great time today! thanks Rebecca, Sarah and Kim for hosting!!

pics are on the link.

Barbi

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 Plant Swap Photos

• alison
    10 years ago

Thanks toKim, Mouse and Sarah for hosting the swap this year -- and thanks to everybody who participated! I had so much fun andering around talking to old friends and new strangers.

I picked up some great plants and made some new friends -- and had some delicious rhubarby dessert -- you can't beat it!

Hope to see some of the same folks at the fall swap in September!