Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- Sat. May 21, 2005

storygardener
19 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners! It's that time again!

My name is Beverly - (also known as Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 21, 2005

MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 21, 2005

Time: 10:00 am - 3:00pm

Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!!)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name.

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for the door prize, please feel free. Last year we had many really neat prizes!!

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign in with name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

We must be out be 3:00 pm.

I've been to many swaps and really like this swapping style - a ROUND ROBIN. (people have liked it over the years, too) Round one - everyone select one plant. Round two - everyone select one plant. Round three - everyone select 2 plants, round 4 eveyone select 3 plant, round 5 everyone select 4 and so on and so on. This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetary Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road right across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Mount Carmel Urgent Care. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

For a map...go to Yahoo.com, click on maps,& click on driving directions. Then put in your address and Veterans Memorial Drive, Hilliard, Oh for precise directions.

Alot of info here, I know.

I hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! I am contacting some of my gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

good gardening...

...Beverly

Comments (100)

• alison
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you like gardening, just look around your house and yard, and I'm sure you'll find other things you can bring to swap. Magazines, garden decorations, pretty pots, nice herbal teas -- anything you think people would like!

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

Beverly,
    My friend Winnie is also planning to come to the swap again this year. I promised I'd RSVP for her. I still haven't started my winter sowing but plan to start this weekend. I just know I'll kick myself if the year goes by and I don't sow anything! Not to mention the fact I have a lot of seeds waiting! :)
    Kim

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Kim...I am glad that Winnie will join us! Great! It will nice to meet her. I just did some winter sowing last week and am anxious to see how it goes.

I am anxious for spring to get here!!

Take care....Beverly

PS..40 folks have RSVP'd for the swap...isn't it great!

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

Bakemom - I'm looking for some raspberry canes, but I'm even more interested in how you tee-peed them! I have some sprawling blackberry canes (I know they'll never be upright), but if I can figure out how to tee-pee a raspberry bush - that would be fantastic!

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Evan, it's a totally cool method! I take one crown and cut them back to about 4-5 fruiting canes. Then, I pound in a large tomato stake - those big ones! and one by one tie the ends of the canes to the stakes making a teepee. These teepees are 5-6 feet tall. Then, you just walk around this and pick your fruit without all the sprawling and rambling. Each crown gets one stake, so I end up with about eight teepees in a very small space. As soon as they are done fruiting, cut the string andcut back the old cane.

Does that make sense?

• MollySTB
    19 years ago

Wow, Beverly, this looks like so much fun! Thanks for the link.

I have two children graduating this spring...one in May and one in June. That would be my only potential conflict. I'll let you know for sure if I'm coming; I'm guessing it is about two hours south of me (1/2 hours west of Cleveland).

Thanks again,

Cindy

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

Hey BakeMommy, I'm interested in raspberry canes, I have been looking on the net for them, which do you have???
    Red or Black, really doesn't matter, either way I would like some.... How many can you spare?
    How many did you start out with?
    6 or a dozen? Which do you think would be best.
    I don't want a whole bunch , just enough for us.
    I think I know what you mean when you said you teepee'd them, one stake in the middle then plant the canes out from the stake and take them in to the top and tie them?
    is that how you did it? or am i just misunderstanding??

Wonder what we could trade?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Cindy! Gosh...I hope you can make it to the swap! That would be great! I know May is a busy month for lots of people - hope there are no conflicts. I have family in Lorain (west of Cleveland)...it's about 2 - 2-1/2 hours from there to Hilliard.

Yes, it has been loads of fun in the past. I hope it works out for you to be able to come down.

Think spring...Beverly

• alison
    19 years ago

Karen -- since you've solved the space dilemma -- I'd like some of your raspberries, too!

Poking around the yard this morning I discovered that all of the rose cuttings I stuck in the ground and buried in straw this fall -- have the little nubs of new buds. Yeehaw!

Now I'm kicking myself for not having tried more! They'll still be small, but several of these will be making it to the swap.

Now, if I can just remember which is what....

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

OH MAN I CAN'T WAITTTTTTTTTTTTT........

• thinkdirt
    19 years ago

I came last year for the first time and I will not miss this event. Lots of good food lots of plants and great people what more can you ask for. I was just waiting to hear about when it was, calendar already marked and plants are started and making a list and checking it twice LOL just like Christmas.

I came with Fourpaws last year and she and I will be coming together again.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Alison..I KNOW what you mean. I have little starts of things I put out in my veggie garden. Lo & behold...the markers are gone!! Oh well.

Linds Hostalavistaa....YES..me too. I want spring and gardens and flowers and the swap and.....I want it all and I want it NOW. That's all I ask for.

Hi Thinkdirt! I am glad you are and coming again to the swap this spring!. I swear..the swap does feel like Christmas. So many goodies and fun!! And the potluck...oh my. Who doesn't just love potluck food. Think spring.

Beverly

• pat_6
    19 years ago

I have marked the date and plan to come to your swap. I'm very excited, as this will be the first plant swap I've ever attended (though I've wanted to for the past few years.) I'll be driving from Ashland, KY. Hopefully, I'll convince my sister to join me. If not, I'll plan to come anyway! LOL!

We moved last year so my plant varieties are limited. Still, I should be able to bring a few dozen nice divisions of heirloom peonies and several Bergenia. As soon as the ground is workable, I'll get the peonies divided so that they can settle in before spring growth.

I love to cook and am open to suggestions as to a good contribution. Would you prefer I bring an entree, side dish or dessert?

I look forward to meeting everyone in a few months. Pat

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Pat...so glad you will make the trip from Kentucky. Many folks come a couple of hours for the swap. I know you'll think it's worth the drive. Folks will love the peonies, berginias or whatever you bring.

As far as the food goes...gosh, just bring whatever you like. It's an unorganized potluck. I remember last year...someone asked "What if everyone brings brownies??"
    Our reply was...sounds good to me. No, seriously - whatever is fine. As the time gets closer and folks really start talking about it - maybe something will come to mind. Thanks for the offer of briniging something specific.

It will be nice to me you (and your sister, too)!!

Take care........Beverly

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

Bakemom - thanks for the clue in - I have a 20x10 foot veggie/fruit/herb garden, and I'm always looking for ways to conserve/change space so I can grow more (insert evil laugh here). I may try the teepee method in my backyard if I can keep my lovable, but always hungry mutts from eating them.

I can not wait for the swap! I started my first seeds last weekend...

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I do one plant per stake and 4-5 shoots from that one plant. Now, they will send up suckers here and there, but it's really not a problem. The variety I wish to share is red - it's a nice large berry about the size of a thimble. You can make little caps for your fingers and eat them like Bugles. They aren't as thorny as regular raspberries and send up long canes.

I used to have a shorter, smaller and much sweeter berry, but they weren't as much fun as the larger variety. Plus, the canes weren't that long so it was tougher to tie them up. I'll bring a bunch.

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Wooo Hooo! I'm so excited! I took a good long walkabout between snows and there are so many things poking their heads up. I'll have lots of Rudibeckia "Herbstone" (that's the 6 foot tall one) to share. Columbine, violets, Iris, mums and who knows what else! Any one want any mint? My "war of the mints" pot was filled last fall!

I'll be looking for some sedum ground covers and creeping phlox. I have a long landscape mound that mulch wont stay on and they sound like the solution to me! Bakemom has already shared her goodies for that purpose.

I'm really getting tempted to get some raspberries. Hmmm...

The snow needs to MELT!

~~Mimi~~

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

Hi! I didn't have time to read everyone's posts here. And I can't imagine what could keep me away from this swap - count me in!

My friend, Kathy & her Mom, Ima will probably want to come, too... they always do.

-Tiffany

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Tiffany!!! It's been a long time. I hope all is well with you. It's GREAT that you, Kathy & Ima are coming again to the swap.

It's a few monthes away...but, it will get here before we know it.

Think spring!

See you in May......Beverly

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

Mom and I plan on coming and bringing some glass things (I haven't asked Mom but she has so much fun I'm sure she will). I Have to get down to the studio to make some glass flowers or balls. Probably my daughter will come too. Also will bring Jack in the pulpets I guess and violets. I think that was my aloe, glad it grew.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Shadowgarden!! This is great. It will good to see you and your mom!

I had just recently mentioned your beautiful glass lovelies to someone. Was saying that in the past..not only did we have wonderful plants...but beautiful handmade glass objects at the swap.

Of course, even if you didn't bring the glass it would be terrific to see you. But, I know people look forward to your beautiful artwork.

I can hardly wait until May.

Take care and think spring...Beverly

• jenniew
    19 years ago

I plan to be there this year. Only one daughter is playing soccer this spring. I am so excited. I actually got my hubby motivated to hang a grow lamp for me. I used to house plants and start seeds in my school's greenhouse. I lost everything in the ice storm in December when the power was out for a couple of days and the administration has decided not to replace the burned up furnace.
    Thanks for your work.
    Jenniew

• Rastagecko
    19 years ago

Beverly,
    We need to add one more to our RSVP, Naomi Devina Hallman. She was born yesterday morning. She was 7 pounds 6.7 ounces and 19.5 inches long. We of course need to bring her to the swap and get her started in gardening early. Plus I am sure you folks wouldn't mind seeing her (and maybe even holding her if you will be able to get her out of Grandma's hands.)
    Noah is excited about being a big brother. Michelle and Naomi are coming home from the hospital tomorrow.
    See you all at the swap,
    James

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi JennieW....good to hear you are coming to the swap!! So sad to hear about your greenhouse. Boy, that's too bad. All that work, plants, etc. What a shame. You'll get lots of goodies at the swap!

Congratulations to the Hallman family!!!! Naomi Devina Hallman is most welcome,of course at the swap!! This is wonderful news. Another future gardener and tomato lover! I am glad to hear that everyone is doing well. How exciting for your family. Noah will have so much fun with his sister. Yes, we'll want a few turns cooing and holding her..if Grandma will spare her for a moment. LOL. GREAT NEWS.

Think spring...Beverly

• alison
    19 years ago

Congrats to James, Noah and Michelle!

I'm just wondering; would you take a 5' hibiscus standard for the baby?

Just kidding; looking forward to seeing you all!

• auntym999
    19 years ago

I look forward to coming. Our Richwood (Union County) Garden Club will have their annual plant sale Mother's Day weekend so I know that I will have plants left over to swap. I pot up lots of plants for that. Keep me posted.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wonderful, Auntym...so glad you can make it!! Have fun at your Mother's Day sale...sounds like a nice idea.

May will be here before we know it! (but, not soon enough for me!)

take care and think spring....Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I just winter sowed some nice tomatoes from Trudi Davidoff (winter sowing guru). I did some McClintock and Purple Heirloom. Are folks going to be looking for different tomatoes this year?

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Wooo Hoooo! James and Michele! Do I get special priority for holding Naomi since I only have boys? Pleeeeese!

Shadowgarden, I hope that you all will bring some glass. I have lots of bottles and vases that need to be turned into hose gaurds and they need glass orbs for the tops. :) I already have two that I used your lovely balls for. I'll be glad to see you regardless and I know we'll all go home with lots of new goodies!

~~Mimi

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

Oooooh, I had SUCH a great time at last year's swap! I'm eager for May! It's just so nice to put faces with all of the names of the wonderful people we get to know on these forums.

And tomatoes? Did I hear tomatoes?? Mmmmmmm. Last year I took home some of your romas, Bakemom (delicious!). and I also was lucky enough to get some Lucky Cross. Huge (!!!) and tasted divine!

Gina

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Gina!!! I am so glad you are coming to the swap again this year! GREAT! I agree...it is fun to come to the swap and match names and faces and share a day of our love of gardening. See you in May. You'll have to let me know if your plants survived the workmen. I can give you more of the ferns etc. if they were stomped to death. Just let me know.

Folks..we now have 55 people that have shown interest in coming to the swap. What fun!

...Beverly

• fourpaws2002
    19 years ago

Is anyone bringing BROWNIES-LOL- I think I will-with or with out nuts?- I'll bring both.
    I'm soooo exicited, things are starting to pop up and I just know this darn cold weather will be gone soon and May will be here before I'm ready.

Mimi, I have planned to bring some sedum ground cover- the rather ordinary acre sedum ?(pale green w/ yellow flower), but it grows quickly :o)
    Can't wait
    GOOD FOOD
    GOOD PLANTS
    GOOD PEOPLE
    GOOD FUN !!!!

Linda

• Cheri_C
    19 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. And let me tell you I love Garden Web. I can't seem to do anything else. I just read all the above messages, and I think that you all seem to be one big happy family! I would love to come, but we will be in Florida. I hope I can attend your fall sale. I don't think my DH would understand if I wanted to stay home for "swap". Its hard let me tell you. You all seem so nice and I would love to meet you all. Thanks for all the interesting messages.
    Cheri

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Cheri...I wish you could make it to the spring swap! Maybe some year you'll be here then. That would be great.

I don't know if there will be a fall swap this year. Mimi & I do the spring one.

Yes, it's amazing how you become friends with folks through the Gardebweb Forums and the swap and all. It's really wonderful!

Yes, I hope we all get to meet some time!

Think spring...Beverly

• alison
    19 years ago

As a non-plant contribution I will be bringing a garbage bag full of coffee cans -- no way I can use them all and they have to go somewhere!

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I have wire from election signs. I'm thinking someone could use them as stakes or something.

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

Hello:

my friend margie ( granny57) and myself(sue) would like to join everyone for the plant swap. Do you have room for us? I have been on the garden web for a number of years and active on and off. my friend margie is new to the gardenweb. we are both from the cincinnati area and hoping you wont mind a couple of new folks! we are excited about coming and meeting new gardening friends and sharing plants with everyone.

sue

"The one thing all gardeners have in common is a belief in tomorrow."

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Sue...of course there's room for you and Margie!! It's great that you are going to come to the swap. Actually, there's room for as many folks that attend. We have a shelter..but, usually overflow a bit to the grass. It will be nice to meet you both!- we welcome new folks.

I love your quote, too.

Think spring....Beverly

PS..folks we now have 68 people that have shown interest in coming to the swap. Let the fun begin!

• auntym999
    19 years ago

I talked about your swap at garden club. Do you have room for 2 more gardeners? One is really big into hostas and the other is into native plants. I have a friend at church who will be visiting her family in Az at that time. She asked if I could take some plants for her and swap them. How would that work? Don't forget that we have open club meeting at my house in the country April 5th. Lots of wildflowers and bulbs were supposed to be blooming. BUT with this weather they may be late. Aunty M

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Aunty M...yes, your friends from your garden club are very welcome to come to the swap! Too bad your friend who's going to Arizona can't attend. Just add her number of plants to yours and select that number as your total. It will work out just fine. (example if you bring 20 plants and she gives you 5 for swapping...just select 25 as your total for the day during the rounds of picking)

Your open club meeting sounds like fun. I hope things are up and blooming for you. You know the old saying..."you should have seen my garden last week - or, this will be blooming next week." It happens to all gardeners! You'll have fun anyway.

...Beverly

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

Hi everyone, Karen and I are planning on coming with our usual arrangement. She makes a huge pot of goodness and I bring way too many plants. See ya soon!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Sunbury Girl! I am glad you and Karen will be coming to the swap! That's great! Seems like so many of the "old gang" will be attending again. Lots of plants and a yummy dish to pass is the perfect combo for you guys...it always works.

It's only a couple month's away at this point. What fun. Thinking about the swap is such a fun way to make spring seem closer. It will be nice to see you both again in May!

take care and good gardening...Beverly

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

Aunty M and anyone new !!!
    We have a great time at this garden exchange, so relaxed and informal. Maybe we won't have rain this year!! Although it never stops us! I see you have a friend who is into Hostas, my favorite! Maybe she and I could have a private exchange! I can hardly wait!!
    Good food.
    Good friends.
    Good food!
    Good plants.
    Good food!
    Hostalavista Babeeeee!!! Linda

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Linda Hostalavista!! You sound as excited as me...as I think about spring and the swap.

Have you been in touch with MIchigan Betty yet?

I've been doing some winter sowing..so I'll have some extras of that too.

Can't wait!!!

Beverly

PS..we now have 73 folks that have shown interest in our swap this year...yipppeeee.

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

Serious apologies if this in bad taste, but.....if anyone's getting ready to pot up cuttings, etc. there are a few much-desired (by me, anyway) plants that I'd love to see come to the swap.

American Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana is the latin name, I think)
    Buddleia--any color
    Hardy geraniums
    Any shade-loving Ohio natives

At this time, I'm planning on bringing some sedum divisions, possibly a couple of rose bushes (if they come back after winter), bunches of winter sown seedlings, and possibly some nonflower but garden-related items. Maybe another birdhouse if I can get my dad to send one my way. :) This time maybe I'll be able to arrange painting it to order for whoever gets it.....depends on time, I guess.
    Gina

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Gina...it's NOT in bad taste to see if folks will be bringing certain plants they are looking for. It certainly isn't a secret. I think folks are anxious for people to get things they are looking for at a swap.

In fact, some folks set up trades via email beforehand that are separate from the group swap - and put those plants in their cars before the actual big swap begins. (I think Hostalavista and Michigan Betty do that with certain hostas since they are both collectors)

I will be bringing some pots of hardy crainsbill geraniums to the swap. Time (spring) will tell me which ones...later on.

In fact, I am hoping someone has Achillea Taygeta. I would LOVE a division of that plant.

Sounds like there will be quite a few folks bringing their left over winter sown plants for swapping!! Fun!

Think sunshine!.......Beverly

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Wooo Hoooo! 73 swappers and still counting! I noticed that it's officially less than two months until the swap. Not that I'm counting or anything! ;) I'm disciplining myself to stay on my master bathroom until it's completed. I wont' allow myself to garden until it's DONE! I'm pretty close so I'll be able to think about what I'm bringing soon. I'm just excited that my purple Reticualta are blooming!

See you all Soon!

~~Mimi~~

• alison
    19 years ago

I think -- unofficially -- that I've recruited five people. And I'm bringing loads of non-plant items.

On a side note, those "rescue" iris I got last spring are all coming up gangbusters. Given my tendency to bury and rot iris corms, this is a testament to how hardy they are! Thank goodness y'all did let these slip out of the gene pool!

Any ideas on the advisablity of trying to pot up a huge boxwood and scotch broom? They're about 3' in diameter, and I shudder to think about the root system on these dudes. But they're in the bulldozer's path this summer, and having weeded and pruned and fertilized them for three years, I hate to see them plowed under.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Alison...oh goodie...five more (maybes)!! I am counting them.

Mimi is like a bloodhound....she can find free plants faster than anyone I know. LOL. Seriously...the iris would have been bullbozed under. I am glad I went along to help with the rescue of those 20 bags of iris, etc. Mine are doing great, too.

As for the shrubs... I would try and rescue them. I brought plants like that with me from Michigan when I moved here in 2000. I dug up as much of the rootball as possible and put them in garbage bags with some drainage holes. They all lived...a Japanese Maple, Globe Spruce, Clethra, & Kerria. It's worth a try if you've got the time and effort to do it.

I am SO READY for spring to come!! Gray skies are gonna clear up..put on a happy face - Bah humbug.... bring on spring.

...Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'll finish up this thread by saying we've got 78 folks interested in the swap so far. YAY!!

I'll start a new one...look the the Central Ohio Plantswap/Potluck II thread.

Can't wait to see y'all.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz