Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck - Sat. May 30, 2009

Posted by storygardener 5/6 central oh (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 15:23

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (aka Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, (aka Princess Mimi)and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 30, 2009. It's our eight year, I think!

MARK YOUR CALENDAR & TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009
Time: 10:00 am
Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, trees, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE (shade, sun, etc) THEY REQUIRE! Also, mark any plants as invasive or poisonous, if known)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving utensils & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cups. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name. I can tell you...gardeners are WONDERFUL cooks!!

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Over the years we have had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get a name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.
Noon - have lunch
After lunch - door prize(s) awarded
1:00 - swap begins
After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

This plant swap is free...but, if anyone wants to donate a dollar that day to help defray the cost of the shelter, paper products, etc. - we won't argue with you.

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.
Round One - pick one plant
Next Round - pick one plant
Next Round - pick two plants
Next Round - pick three plants
And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. **Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring. **

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair or blanket for sitting (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outer belt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetery Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care & Sunshine Academy. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's play area.

We hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! We are contacting some of our gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Good gardening...

...Beverly & Mimi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck - Sat. May 30, 2009

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!! I AM SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!
My whiskers are all a quiver, my ears are twitching and my tail is positivly vibrating with excitment! The food, the plants, the folks... I am in heaven.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

o

Thanks Bev and Mimi -- it's on my calendar already!

I've got a bigger crockpot this year for more pulled pork, and hope to have a bevy of winter-sown babies to bring.

Nice news for a cold and snowy day -- spring will be here sooner than we think!

o

Alison and kin2mice....yay - first posters!! It's nice to think about swapping plants for our gardens on a snowy day like today. I am so glad you'll be attending again.

Think spring.......Beverly

o

Hi! Beverly & Mimi,
Ron and I will be there on the 30th of May. Not sure what we will bring in food or plants. Beverly, save Friday evening for us. Our usual. We will also bring a door prize.
Right now we have seven inches of snow on the ground and still snowing.
We received Plant Delights catalog today in the mail. They sure have some nice plants this year. Betty

o

thanks for getting this posted bev. its just not the new year until i can find evidence of the spring swap. diggerb

o

Mike, Collin and I will be there too. Courtney is looking forward to attending her first swap as well, so we'll all be there! I let a few co-workers and my sister know about it as well.
Can't wait!
Stephanie

o

Just to let ya'll know, my friend Kim, my mum (if she'll be able to tear herself away from the new grandbaby - due in April), and my sister will be attending.
I have no idea what we will bring for food as to plants that is going to be a toss up as well (my neighbors shade tree lost a bunch of branches durning a storm so my sun is changing). I know that Kim and I are going to be looking for veggies that can be grown in small gardens. We are going to be starting a bunch of stuff from seed (heirloom and OP's mostly and I just know that the extras will wind up at the swap.(hint hint to the beautiful lady that brought the wonderful tomatos last year - we can trade seed or if you want I make wonderful brownies double decker cakes!... I made my father come out and get a bunch of the tomatos last year for himself and *blush* I made a pig out of myself all summer off of them. The sauces I made, the paste, the yummy salsas... )
anyway my calander is getting marked down until the big day! Can't wait!! Ps. if you need door prizes let me know!

o

I made it to the forum a couple of days ago but got called away before I got a chance to post. Mom and I have the day marked in eager anticipation, woohoo! I'm going to be reworking the hosta garden this spring so I should have plenty of named divisions to share. I'm also going to try and get some of my big clumps of daylilies divided but that's a definite maybe, I'll have to see how much time I'll have. Does everybody have their fill of roses yet? Lol.

I can't wait! How nice to stop in and dream of spring while it's so awful outside during this WINTER THAT WILL NOT END. Can you tell tell I'm tired of it already? I'm starting cuttings of dianthus, thyme and veronicas on the windowsill to keep me busy but it sure isn't the same as the fresh air and sunshine. I'm thinking spring, lol!

Jeanne

o

I'm so glad to hear from you all! If winter isn't depressing enough, Lee, my DH, got laid off on Friday. We're hoping that he finds something quickly. Otherwise, I'll be reentering the work force after fourteen years of childrearing! Looking forward to the swap and hearing from friends is a bright spot for me!

~~Mimi

o

sorry bout your wonderful DH Mimi. I'll be keeping you guys in my "good thoughts" book that he'll find something soon.
I must admit I kinda like this weather, the snow and ice and all of it. I don't like the accidents that occur where people get hurt and my 45min commute gets longer but it is pretty and a great excuse to keep me looking at garden catalogs curled up with the cats and drinking a cup of hot tea. I also like the profound silence that it brings to my city neighborhood the kind of silence that just makes you reflect on all the wonderful things that went on the year before and all the little miracles to come - the flowers, the new neice/nephew, the veggies, the wonderful food, and of course the great feeling of getting a clean white shirt filthy with honest dirt and sweat!

o

Hey Betty - you betcha!! You and Ron and Murray and I will do our annual Friday night at Hilliard's finest, Starliner Diner. We sure do like it that you come from Michigan to join us in the swap!

Digger - I am glad you reminded me to post this!! It's a cheerful thing - on a cold, cold day.

Stephanie - so glad you'll be coming and bringing Courtney. It's always fun to introduce new folks to the swap.

kintomice - Hi....I am glad your mom will attend this year. Who's having a baby?? Now that I am a Grandma - I'll welcome her to that club too. :)

Jeanne - Hi...oooo - bringing names hostas. Everyone likes that. It will be fun to see your mom again. Ya know...everyone loves your roses.

Did you all know that the Hallman's had a baby boy last week. Niall Jacob is his name. I saw his picture and he is just beautiful. Naomi and Noah are a new big sister and brother. Ya know...Noah was just a toddler at the first swap. It's been a pleasure knowing this family and watching the children come and grow up. Welcome Niall - a new gardener is born.

Think spring....Beverly

o

Hi everyone,
I'm so glad to see you all on here.
I don't go to gardenweb much anymore, cause I can't seem to find many of you on there.
I have seen Bakemom's name, Mimi's and yours Beverly.
I will be interested in the named Hostas and hopely I will have some too.
My plants always scare me over the winter but seem to come through it well enough.
But, Gee, right now we have this below 0 weather, really glad we have this snow cover on. That will help them, Right? I sure hope so.
Bakemom, are you the one who brought the Ginko starts last year and said take as many as you want. I'd like to have a few more of them like a hand full. I like to start stuff and give away down here, especially different things.
I'm glad to say I have gotten my niece so interested in gardening, she has purchased a home 1/2 mile from me and I tip her on all the gardening things. She is so happy with her plantings, and has alot already, not to trade but from me and last year I brought her up there and shared my plants with her so she could pick up some. She was amazed. I am so happy to help a new gardener, especially one that I can keep an eye on! One that is so close to me.
Happy Freezin' Weather, hostalavista

o

Storygardner - the baby that's a coming is my new little niece/nephew (they don't know and don't want to know until the big day!) My baby (and only other sibling) got married april 08 and now that little family is taking off with a bang!!
I do got bad news maybe... I just found out that my cousin is getting married on the sunday after the swap. That would not be so bad except the wedding is in michigan and his folks are talking about renting a tour bus to take everyone and save on gas. I am kinda hoping to get out of it.. but if I get invited I know I will. SOoooo depending on the bus and drive and what not I have no clue if I and my mum will be passing on the swap! boo hooo booo hooo! I will make sure my plants get there and my friends do show up!

o

I am so excited the wedding is actually on the 25th of may so no prob on me attending the swap!!
(my mum got the dates wrong!)

o

Yippee kin2mice, I'm glad your gang gets to come! I just can't wait to get started, I can't seem to start any thing inside, seed wise that is, they always seem to damp off or get leggy, then when I take them outside they burn, I know I'm suppose to put them in the shade, but I'm still waiting for a cold frame, I have a small one but I want one like a green house, ( I want, I want, I want ha), just so I can get things on a head start. I have also noticed that when I do get something going inside, I can plant the same thing outside later and it will actually pass up the one started inside! go figure!

o

I'm so glad that I can come here and think SPRING with you all! We got so much snow dumped on us again that I'm totally SICK of it! Well, maybe the sun will come out tomorrow and it will make it so bright that inside will seem like outside!

Thinkin' SSSSSPRINNNNG!

~~Mimi

o

Dh and I'm planning on being a this swap. Maybe someone is interested in private trades for hosta. It would be nice to have a good excuse to come so far.

Great you can make it Mouse. Weddings are nice but they're even better when the date doesn't conflict with our garden swaps.

I'm beginning to think spring is just an illusion and exists only in my mind. I'd love to be proven wrong.

mao

o

Mao, repeat after me while clicking ruby red slippers together "I just want it to be spring, I just want it to be spring!" I tried it but it did not work with just my grey mousey slippers. LOL
Winter is nice but driving at night (when I come home from work) really bites!
Everyone please be safe out there during these snowy/icy days. (remember we wont just miss your plants and food we will miss your company as well)

o

I tried both my Keds and my ducks but neither worked.

o

Mao, it must just be in our minds then. I could have sworn I saw green above the leaf litter then I woke up weds and everything was white again, so it must have been a dream. (either that or we are using the wrong shoes LOL)

o

Hi folks -

Hostalavista - I am so glad you can make it to the swap! I know there will be many hostas to trade. I haven't been doing that much posting at the Gardenweb myself of late.

kin2mice - I am very, very happy the wedding is NOT the weekend of the swap. We want you to join in the fun.

Hi moatsemom - great to hear you'll be bringing a few friends. The more the merrier.

Yes, I am tired of winter - am longing to see a sign of spring. I am seeing lots of Robins - poor things - it's got to be hard for them now. I have a crap apple covered with dried 'fruit' and the robins have been eating them like crazy.

Think spring -- Beverly

o

Hi! MAO,
I read your post and I would like to do a private trade with you, if I have anything you need. We need to do a lot of dividing this year to thin out some of the plants. Last year for my garden club we divided 250, and this year it will be nice as the garden club will have their sale the middle of the month. However, we have had a bad winter, and not sure what will come up from under all this snow. We have not had many days above freezing this winter. We have had too many single digits over night.
If you are interested let me know and I will go through and let you know what we might dig if they come up. Betty

o

Hi all !! It's has been a very long winter and I am getting very excited to see you and share plants. You can count me and my sister in again. We had such a great time last year. We wouldn't want to miss this. I will be working on gathering plants to bring and also thinking about what I will make for the carry in. We will also bring a door prize. I planted all my hostas and roses I can't wait to see them in the garden this year. Take Care! Maxine

o

Hi Betty and Mao, I'd like to get in on the private trades for hostas too. I'm like you Betty, every year I'm afraid of what survived and it sure has been cold here to, I know you have colder weather up there. So lets hope they all survived and we can get something different or somtheing that has died or you just want more of. linda

o

Hi Linda and Betty, I've sent e-mail to you so don't let it get lost in your junk mail.

mao

From online

o

HI! Hope your winter is going well. Mine's been a little hectic but when isn't my life. I see Bev let you know about our new addition. He is doing well and growing fast! At 3 weeks he had already gained 2 lbs. We plan on being at the swap at this point and will at least have Mom along. Don't know yet what all we will bring. Have a garden meeting next week to plan the Historical gardens at Schoenbrunn for the year... at least we have a crew to help this year. Did have a exciting fall there since we found a plant we thought was long gone from the area...even made the paper. Everyone stay safe and will try to check in again.

ps we are on face book if anyone else is..have a few pics posted there.

o

hey all!!

I'll definitely be at the swap this year. I'm hoping to have more tomatoes and what ever else I can dig up from my yard! I've already got the day scheduled off work. Now I just have to decide what food to bring!

Barbi

o

Just to let everyone know there will be a plant swap near Eaton, Ohio on May 16. I'll get the times later. I am thinking about getting a car pool together.I went last year and the grounds are wonderful (its held at the historical center for the county) and the plants were mainly country folk stuff (though the Mennonites brought veggies and berry plants)I found lots of unusal stuff. I emailed the director of it and she will prob be posting a notification here on gardenweb sometime soon! Keep an eye out!

thanks, Mouse
ps. Mimi and Bev I told her how wonderful this forum and to take a look at it for ideas I hope you don't mind. Last year was the first swap they held and she has asked me for help in getting the word out. Guess she figured out how much I type! LOL

o

Mao (or Linda or Betty),
I'm interested in a private hosta trade as well, although it's so hard to know at this point what will be big enough to trade. But, keep me in mind as we progress towards spring!
Stephanie

o

Here are the times for the Eaton plant swap and the information on how to contact the main coordinator of the event.

10 am 1 pm

Jane Lightner
Preble County Historical Society
7693 Swartsel Road
Eaton, Ohio 45320
937-787-4256 phone & fax
preblecohistsoc@brecnet.com
http://pchs.preblecounty.com

She told me that they are planing on asking folks to bring a picnic lunch and make a day of it. I know I will be going and if anyone want to van pool I'd be up to driving. I can sit 4 extra folks with room for plants in the back as long as we can limit ourselves. I think I took 10 last year and that was more then enough. I don't know if they will do what they did last year with donations but if you wanted extra plants you could donate 50 cents to 1$ and "buy" whatever you wanted. I think I gave them 2$ and wound up with about 15 plants that they wanted to get rid of(I did not know what they were planning so I did not have much extra change).

Hope to see some of you guys there.
Mouse

o

How did everyone survive the storm this week? Mom lost a tree in front of the house. We did ok. Was warm enough to get out this week. Hope all are well.

o

I'll be there!

kin2mice said:
<< hint hint to the beautiful lady that brought the wonderful tomatos last year >>

Which one? There were several beautiful ladies who brought tomatoes last year.

I will be bringing my extra tomato seedlings, including some I saved from the plants I picked up last year (was that you, Barbi, that brought the baby heirlooms? KBX, opalka, purple hillbilly, etc? I loved them!!!)

I will also bring various ornamentals--I don't know what yet.

I can't wait!
Dawn

o

Dawn, I am sorry I did not say "beautiful LADIES" I was just so in thrawed with all the yummyness of the tomatoes that I just thought one person brought them. (I forced my dad to come to pick them out himself and he and mum picked up quite a few they were all delicious - some heirloom some not - and ... upps gotta wipe the drool... yummy) I know I picked up a couple that I was told were pototo leaf but they turned out to be firey hot peppers! It was a great surprise and I was absolutly delighted since I love the fire!.
Anyway, To Dawn and Barbi ... THANK YOU! I intend on making sure I get some for myself this year!

See you all there!
Mouse

o

What a beautiful day! I'm on my way outside! Maybe let you know later what I did or did not do! ha....

o

Mouse! I'm sorry I never got back to you about the Eaton swap, but you did a better job than I would have, I didn't even know where to look for info! I will plan on being there, hopefully you won't have vehicle issues this time!!

RE: the Columbus swap, I'm about to give up, there seems to be a cosmic block out there not wanting me to come. I believe that will be the weekend of our family reunion in KY. shew.

o

Kelly, don't worry! I only got the info because I still had your email message in one of my yahoo folders! You had written something about Eaton and I just went from there. Sometimes it pays to be a "pack mouse" LOL! I told the gal to post something about the swap here on Gardenweb but I have not seen it come up yet. OH! well I'll wait a few months and then do a post myself if I have to.
Hope to see you there!

o

Oh NOOOOOOO! I've already started acquiring "stuff" that will likely end up at the swap! My theater company is doing "The Chalk Garden" and we'll be needing some kewl junk for the "garden". I'm trying to convince Lee that anything I get will be leaving our house. I guess I'm just getting an early start!

See you all soon!

~~Mimi

o

hey i'm looking for some pussy willow can anyone help me out

also looking for some more spice bush.

email me at dinerwillyb@yahoo.com
diggerb

o

Hi, all. Hope things are going well. Been working on the plans for the Schoenbrunn gardens so much haven't had time to think much about the ones at home. If anyone has anything that can be traced to the 1770's, especially here in Ohio let me know. We have 3 herb beds going in as well as vegetable and Native gardens. Lots of work but getting more help than last year. Have been passing the word around about the swap. Hope we have a great turn out. Well I'm off on another packed day. Peace.

o

Hi folks....I am so looking forward to spring! I have some snow drops and crocus blooming. I wonderful early tease of things to come.

Michelle - we have some fern descendants from Murray's great-grandpa's gardens from Springfield Oh. (circa 1890 or so) That's as far back as we can trace them. Would you be interested?

Think spring!

Beverly

o

crocus, daffys, and bunches of green sprouting stuff! I love it. I have been super busy getting my first "real"veggie garden in. (containers and such that my dad made me) Thankfully, Leighann has been a wonderful help making sure that my boxes and pots will be filled with great dirt and are the right size for what I am putting in them. My friend Kim (the short quite blond who was with me last year) is also collaborating with me (shared expense) because she and her mother in law are also going to be growing veggies this year. If we have extras you better believe we will bring them. Yummy stuff!

Mouse

o

Bev, the ferns would be great. Even if we don't use them out at the village I am always looking for a good fern to add to the collection here at the house. For the village we are looking for a source for Deer's Ear, Golden Seal(yellow pacoon), white cedar,mandrake, and flat leafed cedar. If anyone has a source or has any it would be greatly appreciated. Glad I have a good group to work with on the gardens and I'm learning a lot. Have a great weekend everyone. We will be celebrating Noah's 10th birthday (eeek) can you believe it. Peace

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 9:06

I will probably be there.

o

Hello everyone!

I am posting a note on behalf of Margie - Granny 57. She wants you to know that her computer is shot but she will definitely be at the swap! I don't know if I will be able to join her yet but I will try. It's always fun to see everyone and check out the food and great plants and other trades!

Sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

o

I have intentions to be there too. Last year was my first ever plant swap and everyone was just lovely. Oh the plants I brought home.... only one I missed that I really wanted was a pink forget-me-not (they went way to fast.) But who knows maybe this year. LOL!!! See you all there!!

Orcascove (Barb)

o

Barb -- I'm winter sowing some pink forget-me-nots that are just starting to come up. Send me a PM a little closer to the swap and I'll set aside a pot for you.

Things are coming up nicely, I hope to have a bounty for the swap. Sorry I haven't checked in more often; I only have a computer at work and for some reason it takes foreeeeeeeever to load the GW pages, so I don't have time to check often.

But I'm getting psyched!

o

Michelle - I'll bring you a fern for sure.

Bakemom - finally, we hear from you. SO GLAD you think you might be able to attend. It's not the same weekend at the Race for the Cure this year...so, you won't have to come all tired and sweaty. (not that gardener's mind sweat!)

Sue - Thanks for letting us know that Granny will be coming. I hope you can come too.

Orcabarb - glad you'll be coming again!!

Thank spring, everyone........Beverly

o

Alison - I will definately send a email closer to the swap... thanks for the offer. I have a bed of tiny blues and would love to gets some pink in there... I unfortunately haven't had any luck in starting pink from seed, wintersown or otherwise.. I am beginning to think it just wasn't meant to happen for me... So perhaps with you starting them, I can get a few pinks afterall.. Thanks again!! And I will see you all there!!!

Orcascove(Barb)

o

Thanks Bev. The fern will be wonderful. James and Naomi got out yesterday for a little bit to work some in the garden. Pulled some Jerusalem artichokes for some people in Seed Savers. If anyone is interested let us know. Looks like this week we will have some warm weather but also some rain...we are too busy to get out anyway. Just think...Friday is the 1st day of Spring...officially. This is Ohio though we could still have snow. Hope you all are have a wonderful week.
Peace,
Michelle

o

Hi every one

i want to thank those of your who answered my request for pussy willow. in my infinite wisdom, i looked at the emails,
and thought "oh good, when i check out the get-together forum, i post a note to say yes, yes, yes." ok so now i'm here and don't see the notes people sent. so now i realize that people emailed me directly (as i gave my email address).
DUH!!! so could i ask you again to email me at dinerwillyb@yahoo.

i'd love it if someone started some pussywillow shoots for me to be ready for the swap. I'd love to have some of the 'black pussy willow' and some of the regular old type of pussywillow with the big grey-pink catkins. thanks for your offers.

this week i've been uncovering my beds in the front yard where they have sun and are much dryer than the back yard. so far this week i've dried all the clothes on the line--
we owe dominion east gas $1000 for the unpaid balances on our budget plan-- yikes!!!! any thing to trim the amount of gas will help. furnace was down to 50 degrees for sat, sun mon tues and today-- might have to go back up tomorrow since the temps are supposed to go down.

see you all in May.

diggerb

o

Hi everyone! It's SPRING!!!!!
We plan on bringing the crew (which could be anywhere from four to ten or so people, plus assorted dogs and plants. I've got some neat heirloom tomatoes ordered and we'll bring perennial divisions as well. Can't wait!

o
Plant sales coming up in Columbus

Oh I forgot! Here is the website to the place near the airport that has great perennial (and other) sales coming up this spring.

http://demonyes.net/

o

Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 0:08

Bev and Mimi - I have been buried in the Newbie Seed Project. I wish I would have kept records this year, but I decided to make it simple. Too bad b/c the results would have been incredible.

Day after day the donations came in and it was so astonishing. What was really great was seeing the former newbies gathering seeds and donating. I got boxes and boxes plus fat envelopes - with labeling very detailed and then some I had to bag up. It was all so great.

What is so touching is that people who I don't know send their seeds and trust me to get it out into the hands of new gardeners. We then offer to coach winter sowing or whatever method they choose. I'm going to wind it down at the end of April, but it is the most rewarding experience.

Yep, Race for the Cure is two weeks earlier.

o

Good job, Karen! That's such a great thing to do for others -- and to allow other people to be a part of it makes it even more special!

o

Hi everyone! I'm up to my ears in another play. At least this one is "The Chalk Garden"! I've been having fun teaching the other actors how to pronounce "clematis", "potash" and other terms in the English way. Ohio clay may be horrible to grow things in but chalk sounds even worse!

I did do a quick walkabout in my real garden. I'm seeing lots of things to thin and pot for the swap. I'm hoping that the Sand Cherry trees that self sewed last year made it through the winter. If so, I'll be bringing those babies.

I must say that the theater season and the gardening seasons work well together. Just when I need a rest from the garden it's time for shows. Then when I'm tired of stitching and learning lines it's time to garden!

Now if I could just get my family to do ALL the housework life would be perfect!

~~Mimi

o

Hi folks...today it's feeling very springy out.

Bakemom - your newbie seed project always amazes me. What a kind generosity of spirit to do this...plus...all the folks that have given you seeds to send on. It's another kind of circle of life.

Sunbury Girl - so glad you and the crew will be attending again. It's such a fine tradition. Your heirloom tomatoes are always so nice to see, too.

Digger - sorry to hear about the gas bill. Yikes - it's tough out there. So glad you have your garden to keep you cheerful.

Think spring, folks...........Beverly

o

SNOW!!!!!!!! @*&#$%$## SNOW!!!!!!!!!! OK. I'll take snow in March. We do live in Ohio after all but it's APRIL! I had Isaac cut a lot of my daffies so that they would be enjoyed before they turned into yellow mush. At least we're having spring inside!

Well, I'm making some danglers for my fellow cast members in "The Chalk Garden" so I have something gardeny to do.

Can't wait to see you all!

~~Mimi

o

If anyone has any, I would love to have some more Bleeding Hearts. I picked some up last year and am very happy with them.

I have quite a few things I could bring--if anyone names something I have to share, I'll be sure to bring some. Does anyone want some sedum?

Dawn

o

Dawncols 5 email me directly closer to the swap and I'll prob have some bleeding hearts for you. I LOVE sedum!
I'll email you this infor as well.

Gads, my yard is prettier then ever! I am so in love with it. I can't wait until the veggies are ready to eat and the mid spring flowers start blooming. I just wish some of the cooler weather would go away ... but then it would not be spring and the weather might get to warm for some of my more zone 5ish 6ish plants... I'd hate to miss them!

I woke up today with the lovely sound of april rain it was so soothing I just wanted to curl back up with the cats and go back to sleep!
See you all at the swap.

Mouse

o

Hi Guys,

I will be there with glass. I would do a private trade for a weeping cherry tree. Otherwise looking for shade wildflowers and whatever catches my fancy. Also bringing DD, DMIL, & DSIL.

o

We will be glad to see you and your family Shadowgarden! We all love your glass too. I'll have some Solomon's Seal to share. I finally have enough shade that my shadies are multiplying! I don't know what all else for sure. I'll have some Iris and Day Lilies since I have so many of those. I don't know which ones tho.

Now that the play is up and running I can think about the REAL garden instead of the "Chalk Garden"! =)

~~Mimi

o

Well, the fates must have heard me complaining about having to miss the swap again, because it looks like I just might be able to come. Now, I'm being cautious here, because when I have committed in the past to coming, I wasn't able to.
But.... If I come (fingers crossed!) I think I'll have some gorgeous blue cornflower, more mint, yarrow, scarlet pincushion, sea thrift - white and pink, and this sunflower plant that gets well over 6' tall with tons of yellow flowers all over.

o

Hi Shadowgarden - it will be wonderful to see you and always delightful to see your glass lovelies.

Kelly - yay - it's great you'll get to come this year. I look forward to seeing you.

take care - Beverly

o

Hi All, I was at the swap last year but won't be able to attend this year, sorry!
I had a nice chat with the lady that owns the blueberry farm or the doll museum (I can't remember her name or the name of her business)...I have sometimers! I hope you all post pics so I can see what I missed :)

o

I've sent a couple of e-mails for private trade today. Anyone else interested please send me a note.

mao

o

i'm looking forward to joining this event for the first time. it sounds like lots of fun.

o

Hi Shasta - sorry you can't make it this year. Often, Mimi posts pictures...or others, too.

Kathi - glad you can make it!!! It will be nice to meet you.

Think spring - Beverly

o

I'll try to get the pics that Lee or I take posted soon after the swap but with the five heathens I'm not making any promises!

I will have several baby Sand Cherry trees this year. They are lovely all year but especially now. Mine are covered with fragrant pink blossoms and tiny burgundy leaves. Their leaves change colors several times during the growing season. They can be made in to a shrubby kind of plant if you "top" them. If anyone wants to have me reserve one for a private trade, let me know.

~~Mimi

o
pic of Purple Sand Cherry

Here's a pic of what I have. It shows it as a shrub. Mine are pruned into tree forms and are almost as tall as my 1 1/2 story house.

~~Mimi

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Sand Cherry Picture

o

Shadowgarden,
Mom has a weeping cherry and it usually has little ones around it...don't know if they come back true or not but if there are some we will bring you one to try. Glad to see you are coming. It's such fun to add to my Shadowgarden glass collection as well as my growing garden.
James and the kids have a few things done at home and we have started on the gardens at Schoenbrunn. Hope to get a lot more work done on Sunday at Schoenbrunn. Free Open House there 12-5 if anyone feels like a roadtrip we would love to see you.
Michelle

o

My family and I are looking forward to the swap this year! We're just starting to identify things to be divided or extra seedlings but I'm hoping to get some time out in the yard this weekend or next to start potting up so they can rest a little before the day of the swap. How's everyone else's garden doing? It's so nice to see the fresh green growth after the winter isn't it? I love Spring because it's full of promise and opportunity! It's much easier to overlook the things you want to change in your garden in the Spring. By August, I'm like "where did I put my saw and shovel?" :)

o

Fri, May 1, 09 at 17:06

Potted up white Lychnis, parsley, bleeding heart and mexican hat. I have also pulled three gardening books that someone will find useful.

o

I potted my first plant for the swap today! I had to squeeze it in between the family activities but I got ONE!

Karen-Those garden books sound interesting!

Gardengirl! It will be good to see you and yours! I'm just like you. I run out of steam by September. I need to live in a 4 season climate so that I can have a rest and get happy about gardening again.

I also sprayed my lawn with Weed Be Gone this afternoon. My hubby was griping about the weeds and a friend gave me a bottle of it that they had laying around. That means that my yard will probably be bare between the flower beds in a short while! Any one have any grass seed that they want to swap?

~~Mimi

o

Ralph will be bringing a great door prize.

Usually we bring way more plants than we take home but this year we've volunteered to work on a 20-25 yard long flower bed for the historic society and we need lots of full sun plants.

mao

o

I will be attending the plant swap in a few weeks. I'm bringing lots of pussy willow starts (the old bush type).
I think having the swap a few weeks later will be better weather! See everyone soon. Diane Garrett

o

Mao, what bed are you working on for the Historic society? what time period? If we have something that would work we would be happy to contribute...

bleeding hearts and pussy willows sound good to me....

anyone have thoughts on food for this year?

o

It's the Smith Orr Homestead in Orrville. Just today Ralph finished getting all the brambles, thistle, maple saplings and roots from a tree that had been removed out of the soil. Just nine days for all this work. Thanks to the economy he's under employed and decided this would make a good project. I'm not sure we'll have enough plants or seeds to fill the whole border this year but we'll do what we can.

mao

o

Hey all, sorry I haven't posted in a while. so far it's been a great spring. The orioles are back and I've seen a rose breasted grosbeak and a bluebird hanging around. I saw my first hummingbird of the year today too. gotta get my feeders up!

I should have a few tomatoes for the swap this year. prob not as many as last year though. I've potted up a few things so far and I'm still trying to decide what to bring to eat.

Barbi

o

Hi....I just spent 5 days with my 2 year old Grandson. Pure joy for me!! My son calls me Grandma B (Beverly is way too hard for little ones to say) So, by the time I left my Grandson was just calling me "B". I am so glad he has a name for me!!!

Now on to gardening...

Hi Barbi - folks always love your tomatoes . Glad you are coming (not just for the tomatoes, of course!)

Hi Diane - so glad you are attending. We changed the date this year because my nephew is getting married this weekend.

Hey there, gardengirl - it's fun to pot up those first plants for the swap, indeed. My garden is doing pretty well - it's kind of 'survival of the fittest' in my gardens! So, I'll have to get some things potted up.

Moa - thanks in advance to Ralph for the door prize. Murray had been laid off since February - however, he started a new job this week. So...he had lots of time this spring to do cleanup. Here's hoping Ralph can get the work he wants.

Everyone - think spring!

Beverly

o

Hi Bev, Hi Mimi,
I will be there with lots of goodies.
Can't wait to see you guys.
Jamillah

o

I am so looking forward to the swap. this year i'm looking for more trilliums!!!!(i was so excited the other day to see that one i had gotten 2 years ago was in bloom. i think it needs friends. also i'm looking for Solomen Seals-- the big giant kind. and i'm looking fro some pussy willow. if any body has black pussy willow i'd be interested in that too. and some more spice bush.

i'm planning on bringing some jack in pulpit babies. i've got a rose bush to bring-- it's a named variety of a floribunda that has orange flowers-- but doesn't do it for me. i may be able to bring a piece of Therese bugnet rose and parfume de la hay rose as well. does anyone need norway maple seedlings-- i have a bazillion of those.

diggerb

o

so far I've potted up:

ivy
obedient plant
coral bells
ornamental grass
ornamental oregano

and I'll prob have some:
black eyed susans
snowdrop anemone
beebalm
thyme
and who knows what else!

Barbi

o

Hi everyone,
diggerb, I have the black pussy willow, how about a private trade for some of the jack in the pulput?
mao, I think were trading but can't remember what, maybe a hosta or two? I'll have to look at my mail, I saved it from you. Get in touch with me. I got a couple of new hosta, new for me that is.
I don't know if I'm private trading with anyone else.
let me know.
alison, I would like some of the pink forget me nots, what are you interested in from me?
bakemom, did you bring the baby ginkos last year? I'd like some of them. let me know what your interested in.
Anyone else up for some trades? You know I like hostas.
hostalavista, linda

o

Oo...it's getting so exciting. Hearing what folks are bringing!

B

o
Chris Baker from Baker's Acres is sending a $50 gift certificate!

Hi folks....Yes - that wonderful Chris Baker just emailed me saying he is sending a $50 gift certificate to be a door prize at the swap again. He is such a good friend to this swap!!

You know...I have never asked him for a gift certificate or reminded him about it. That's not what we are about. HE seems to always remember.

If you've never been to Baker's Acres - you should all take a drive there. It's the best Greenhouse/Nursery in this area. The selection is fantastic. Plus it's just plain fun there!

Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker's Acres

o

I'm getting excited! Beverly, I couldn't agree more about Baker's Acres. It is my "Happy Place". They have an amazing selection of annuals and tropicals, best anywhere in Ohio I've seen plus their perennials are wonderful. They always have some unusual and new varieties. Nice trees and shrubs too, I just buy less of those these days.

Last weekend my Mum was in town so I dug a few things for her and it got me to looking about what to bring for the swap. Depending on time to dig all of these I am planning to dig:

Sweet Autumn Clematis seedlings
Coreopsis verticillata 'zagreb' divisions
Deutzia. I think it's Chardonnay Pearls
Bee Balm Raspberry Wine
Helianthus maximillii
columbine
Japanese blood grass
Carex Ice Dance
Maybe some persicaria 'Firetails'
Panicum 'Shenendoah'
mugo pines
coneflowers
heliopsis (some with variegated foliage)
groundcover sedum
there's another grass I can't think of its name right now. Low growing but with tall airy seedheads. Very pretty but I don't have a hot and dry enough spot for it right now.
Will have to look around for other seedlings.

Looking at this list, that's a lot to dig. I better get busy! If there's anything in particular you want to make sure I bring let me know. What about food? I'm usually a dessert girl and sometimes bring the 7-layer bars. I can also do some decadent cookies that I call "buckeye cookies". They're chocolate brownie cookies with a dollop of peanut butter and then chocolate icing. No bake cookies are also fun to make. Really I love to make dessert of any kind. :)

o

Hi everyone,
I see we have lots of people coming, and I am getting excited the swap is so near. I still need to pot up plants, and pick out a dish to bring, but I will definitely be there. I am hopefully bringing along a guest this year too... So see you all soon!!!

P.S. Alison- I just sent you an email regarding the Pink forget-me-not's we discussed earlier this year. So please do let me know. Thanks!!!

o

Hi Jamillah and Orcascove - SO glad you'll make it to the swap. I am looking forward to seeing folks.

I still need to get some things out of the ground!!

Does anyone have a megaphone we can use? It seems that it's getting harder to scream the rounds and door prizes out each year!!

Only two weeks away!

Beverly

o

Howdy folks!

It sure looks like everyone else is getting ready for the swap! Beverly and I still need to do some digging! I have some pretty purple Columbine potted up and have my eye in some Helianthus, Hardy Hibiscus babies, Shasta Daisies, Berginnia and of course Iris and Hemerocallis! One of my sand cherry babies croaked (of dehydration) and I still need to dig up the other one.

I'll be bringing pasta in my roaster or else Murray will send me back home to make some!

I'm so glad to see Jamillah and Orcascove will be coming! I have no excuse not to see Jamillah more than once a year. She only lives a couple of miles away!

I'll try to remember to bring my copy of Seely's hosta guide for anyone who might want to stop there after the swap. (Like maybe Granny 57!)

I better start digging tomorrow early!

~~Mimi

o

It looks like I will be bringing at least 6 guests with me, possibly more. Some are experienced gardeners with stuff to trade, some new and struggling to come up with things they have to offer, but they want to bring *something*.

Among us we'll have some tomato seedlings and lots of various ornamentals, maybe some herbage.

I can't wait!!
Dawn

o

I am planning on coming with at least one friend. Mouse, did you go to the Preble County swap? Was it bigger than last year? I was at Kings Island on a choir chaperoning trip and I would have MUCH rather been at the swap. :)

Question, are there any Garden Junkers attending? I have a bird bath/totem that I was thinking of bringing, maybe as a door prize, but if no one is interested, I'll just find another home for it.

Currently I have potted up (sorry I don't know the proper names):

Magenta Yarrow
Perennial Yellow Sunflower, with multiple blooms
Blue Cornflower
Perennial sweet peas (sorry, I don't know the colors, but they should be pinks)
I'm going to try to pot some hardy, gorgeous hibiscus type bushes, we'll see how easily they come up :)
potted some Japanese anemone, pale pink to white, I'll have to see how well they perk up, they were not too happy when I potted them

o

My plants are small this year, but hopefully they'll prove mighty! I'm bringing:

lavender obedient plant
white echinacea
hens-and-chicks
thyme
lavender
spearmint
oregano
lemon balm
"dusky" eggplant
zing rose pinks
another-dianthus-I'm-forgetting-the-name-of
Pink and blue forget-me-nots (setting aside some pinks for orcascove!)
casablanca lilies

I had some lovely coleus this winter, "Roaring Fire" that I took cuttings of. While they developed nice strong roots, the color seems to have faded over the winter. I didn't realize how much until I brought them outside this spring. They're getting indirect light therapy to see if they color-up enough to bring. 'Cuz frankly, a washed out coleus is about as valuable as a bucket of warm spit!

I bought a big pork shoulder this morning, and will cook and shred it over the weekend. Pop it in the freezer until next Saturday, and -- voila -- stress free pulled pork! (I've vowed to not stay up unitl 3am this year shredding meat!)

Looking forward to seeing you all!

o

I'm looking forward to you pulled pork Alison!

Kelly= Bring that totem PLEASE! I bring my garden junk creations as door prizes and lots of folks like them. I'll be bringing at least one of my suncatchers and who knows what also as door prizes.

I've been spending LOTS of hours at Harmony. I'm so tired that I'm not sure whether I'm coming or going!

See you all soon!

~~Mimi

o

I am bringing the following:
6 trades of cherry bells ( can be invasive)
2 trades of sweet woodruff
2 trades hosta stiletto
4 trades of bird house gourd plants
3 trades of borage
& whatever else screams take me!
alison, is there anything I could trade you for sme of those pink forget me nots? let me know what your heart desires!!!!!!

o

Well, I guess it's about time I said I am coming. I'll bring a few daylilies (odds and ends) and a few hostas. I think I'm looking mostly for vegetables this year. I'll try and drag Paul (my husband) and Dick (our friend). I really want to see you all. I need a little positive in my life.

Daylily Trish

o

ok, so I have a swap newbie question.. LOL!!! this is my second year, but I need to know how it is everyone is handling the hostas? I have a couple huge unknown variety that could definately make several containers. I realize that they will be just fine next season for who ever takes them home.... but how do you divide them when they are already grown without having them look stressed to the max on the day of the swap? I saw loads of them last year that looked lovely... whats the secret???

Barb (orcascove)

o

Does anyone have any woodland tobacco plants or seeds?

o

Barb- there's tons of great info on the hosta forum regarding splitting hostas. The two main ways are to dig the whole plant out and try to gently separate out the eyes (or cut them apart) or just dig with a sharp spade (or I like to use a bread knife) in a natural place for division- where a few eyes are separate from the rest. They're pretty hardy. If you dig them now and water a ton, they'll be fine for the swap.
Looking forward to seeing everyone.
I've got a lot of Maiden grass, some hostas and some sedum for now. We'll see what else I come up with...
I'm bringing my family and my sister and my nephew. Got a few friends on the fence about coming as well.
Stephanie

o

Stephanie, thanks for the response, I have divided them in the past to give to friends, but they always seem to get ratty looking. I guess maybe I haven't watered them correctly. I either give them too much or not enough, because stressed ratty plants is always the result... the good news is my friends tell me they always come back the next year looking great... I'll give it a shot, and see what happens... Thanks again!!!

o

hello all! I wanted to give you a list of the tomato plants I'm bringing. I'm looking for some mild, hot peppers that would be good for salsa. if anyone has any, let me know.

tomatoes:
grightmire's pride - 1
aunt ruby's german green cherry - 2
nebraska wedding - 2
black plum - 2
white beauty - 2
eva purple ball - 2
yellow submarine - 2
silvery fir tree - 2
yellow brandywine platfoot - 1
white queen - 1
early red - 2 plant only gets 6" tall - great for containers!
black cherry - 3

sweet peppers:
sweet banana - 2
red banana - 1
corno di toro red - 2

fairytale eggplant - 2

kiwano horned jelly melon - 2

let me know if anyone is interested in a trade for these.

Barbi

o

Well, Beverly and I finally got some plants ready for the swap. I took the morning off to get something besides the arts center ready! (West siders should look for an article about Harmony in the "This Week" this week as well as the Dispatch.)

Barbi your tomatoes sound yummy! I'll be interested to see what kind Lee picks this year.

I have several trades each of Helianthus "Sunshine", baby pink hardy hibiscus, penstemon "Red Husker", white lychnis, some woodland and "Sanguinus" geraniums and purple columbine. I forget what else at this point.

Pardon the misspellings and other errors. I'm so tired I can't see straight. As Lady MacBeth says, "...to bed, to bed, to bed."

~~Mimi

o

Hi Barbi,
I'm interested in some of your tomato plants, I'd like
Black Plum, White Beauty, Eva Purple Ball, White Queen.
And I would love to try the Kiwano Horned Jelly Melon, just one of each of these if possible.
I don't have any veggies to bring, so I don't know what you might like of mine, I do have a new to me 'Astilbe Amethyst' if you'd like one. Thanks hostalavista linda

o

Kelly,

I'll plan to bring both seeds and plants of some woodland tobacco . . .

o
RE: hostalavista

hostalavista - Linda,

send me an email.

Barbi

o

If anyone is thinking of bringing basil this year, please do. I meant to start some from seed and completely forgot.

We'll also be looking for shade-tolerant ornamentals.

In addition to some heirloom tomatoes (some of which came from seeds saved from plants Barbi brought to last year's swap!) we'll be bringing some sedum.

Is anyone interested in coneflowers?

Four days and counting!
Dawn

o
RE: bird bath

<< Question, are there any Garden Junkers attending? I have a bird bath/totem that I was thinking of bringing >>

Oh yes, there will be junkers. Please bring it.
Dawn

o

always interested in coneflowers, Dawn. will be bringing the totem :)

o

Shadowgarden...potted up a seedling from under Mom's weeping cherry...can't be sure it will be true but it's coming.

Kelly...we have a Delaware Indian tobacco...will bring some along.

Steph... my kids are picking out things for your kids.

Think I'm bringing coleslaw and rice crispy treats to eat

not sure of swaps we are bringing yet...probably not as many as usual because of our schedule lately. Will let you know if we get it figured out.
Peace and see you Sat.
Michelle

o

Hi Gang! The weather forcast for Saturday looks good. Between Murray and Mimi - I have some plants ready.

Cup plant - Silphium Perfoliatum - wildflower
Cerastium Tomentosum - snow in the summer
chives
obedient plant (mixed in with some beautiful crainsbill)
daffodils

Lots of garden magazine bundles (Garden Gate, Birds & Blooms, etc)
Bird Feeder

I'll probably make some sweet and sour cucumber and onions.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Think swap! - Beverly

o

Michelle,
Great- we'll be sure Collin and Courtney can reciprocate then! Did you guys ever get a Fire Island Hosta? I think we still have the yellow iris potted up that we promised last year!
I'm going to make a corn salad- it's very tasty and a little spicy!
I've got another newbie coming along too. Can't wait to indoctrinate her!
Stephanie

o
RE: Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck - Sat.

Hi gardeners I need to add two more names to the list. Our husbands are both planning on attending. Can't wait to see you all. I know we will have lots of plants and good food. My sister wants to find some day lilies for trade. I would like some more hostas and I have a new rock garden that is begging for sun loving plants. See you there.

o

Steph...no we never got the fire island hosta and I was going to ask you about the iris and forgot...kids got me two new ferns and a new hosta for Mother's day. Can't wait to see everyone and for you to meet Niall.
peace.
Michelle

o

Michelle,

If you can get me before the trades start I'll give you first choice of the the glass for the cherry tree. Thanks.

Rebecca

o

Michelle...the fern I promised you didn't return???? this spring. That's so nuts - I don't know what happened.

See you all on Saturday.

Folks - Don't forget to bring a chair or blanket in case there isn't enough room at the picnic tables for everyone at lunch time.

Beverly

o
RE:pond plants

Does anyone have any pond plants, especially oxygenators?

Also blue flag iris or equisteum?

Will do a private swap.

Thanks.

Rebecca

o

Hi gardeners!!

Wow...I had a fun day! Once again, the swap was a time of sharing plants, friendship, and yummy food.

A big thanks to everyone for making it a great day.

Now the 'the count' - There were approximately 148 people there (it's hard to know really - because folks don't always write down their children, spouses, or others.) We had some 2612 plants this year. WOW!

I was excited to get more hypertufa, daylilies, Rebbecca's beautiful glass, tomatoes, heuchera and more.

I was most excited to see long time friends and meet some new ones too. It's been a special privilege to be able to know some of you for eight or nine years - and watch so many children grow up, too. I often look into my gardens and see many plants from the swap and swap friends.

Of course - the food was yummy. Gardeners are GREAT cooks!

Thanks to all that brought a door prize, too.

Good gardening and have a great summer.

Beverly

o
great time!

I had a great time yesterday! It was good to see everybody! and I'm finally starting to remember people and even names! lol I'm so bad with names.

There were so many wonderful plants that it was hard to choose! I came home with a good variety. still need to get them planted.

hope everyone else had a great time too!
Barbi
(tomatochick)

o

Thanks Beverly and Mimi!!!!

It was a great day!!!! I had fun seeing everyone, eating and getting some fun plants. It was wonderful!!!

Thanks again,
Trish

o

Hi everyone!!

Just thought I would stop by and say thanks for a great swap!! This year was my second, and I even managed to get my brother out with me (he is the reason I learned to love plants in the first place). He was thrilled to find some special plants, and has already asked when is the next one and can I go too?? LOL!!! (looks like I will be searching for the fall swap info.. LOL!!). Anyway thanks again for another great day, you are all wonderful people to share your gardens and your cooking.

Orcascove (Barb)

o

I, too, had a very nice time. Got some new plants to try out and some great veggies as well. I think we got most planted today, whew!
Thanks, Mimi and Beverly for hosting.
Stephanie

o

What a lovely swap! And the perfect weekend -- bright clear and sunny while I planted, pruned and weeded -- and now a nice gentle rain to settle in all the newly acquired plants.

I had such a great time hanging out with everybody. Thanks to my buddy Terri, I actually got there on time. Every year, the night before the swap I swear it's the last time I make the pulled pork -- but I'm already planning on 15 pounds of it next year!

Great plants, great people, great food and a wonderful, wonderful time. thanks all for making it so!

o

Alison, I would have loved to have some of the pulled pork but alas, all gone by the time I got to it!! How about a trade for a sandwich next year?? haha...
Well I lost a whole bag of plants, I must have sit them down while looking at something else and someone thought they were one of the trades. It was all from Granny, Cigar plant, purple basil, pineapple sage, 4 large banana peppers plus more. Hope someone takes care of them. Let me know if you have them, it's killing me wondering what I did with them.
I got some nice plants especially from my private trades.
Cathy, Stephanie and diggerb, got a glass flower, I just love those, I don't care what I get, just want one each year for memories, loved meeting you Terrible! ha
also got some tomatoes, love seeing everyone, missed Betty Hagey and the Morgans, never did connect with you Stormywhether, barbie. I did get a couple of white tomatoes though.
And as always thank you Beverly and Mimi for getting this all started, all the people who help, it's just a wonderful day. Hostalavista..Babee, linda

o

Linda - I think I got your bag?? Toward the very end of the swap I saw a bag with a cigar plant right on the floor right next to the check in table. All I could see was the cigar plant - so I figured it was the bag of plants that I got from Granny when she arrived at the swap. When we cleaned up, loaded up the car and when I and got home I discovered that Murray had already put my bag from Granny in the car shortly after she gave it to me. Oops. You'll be happy to know tht Murray was SO delighted to see those banana peppers. He had been wanting some.

So sorry I got your plants - it was unintentional. I was so busy doing stuff - that I didn't realize your bag wasn't my bag from Granny.

Well - at least you know where they went.

Beverly

o

Beverly, sounds like you did get my bag, well good, I know they'll be taken care of! Tell Murry to eat a pepper for me!! I was driving myself silly looking for them. I must have did that when I took the book to sign in over at the other table! Thanks for letting me know!
Happy Gardening, linda

o

Hey great swap! The kids had a blast...whoever brought that little dog statue that was in the non plant section made Naomi's swap...it has gone everywhere with us, she treats it like a real dog, it even had a blanket to "sleep" on at Grandma's, she loves it. The huge hosta from Orville has found a nice home in Noah's section of the yard...what house was it from again? Can't wait to stop by Baker's Acres and use my gift certificate. Rebecca thank you so much for the glass, Mom loves her mushroom...be sure to let us know if the cherry tree works..if not we will try another, I too am happy to feed my glass addiction with your pieces.

BTW who got the wrapped box in the door prizes and what was in it? I forgot all about it until later and was curious.

Thank you Bev and Mimi for a great swap. You do so much and we love you for all you do.

Happy Gardening. Peace.

o

We had a great time at the swap. Thank you Bev and Mimi.

The hosta was from the Smith Orr Homestead.

o

another great swap!!!
linda thanks so much for my 2 willows-- they are already planted-- over top of poor old pumpkin our kitty that kicked it last year. thought pussy willow was a fitting tribute.

my neighbor was really excited to get the hen&chicks i picked up for her as well as the rose of sharon i got-- her's died out this winter. i shared some of the naked lady bulbs i got with her too.

who ever brought the hen and chicks, thanks for bringing them. i haven't seen them since i was a kid, but had thought about getting some just recently as i saw a spot near my front walk that would be just right for them.

also i'm hoping to have better luck with my naked ladies this time around. please tell me that they are lycoris squamia (sp) who ever brought them and not crimiums or nerene's.

also excited to get some tomatoes-- i'm planting them next to my one rose that does ok right by the front door. with some basil and other herbs.

and mimi special thanks for tyaking me back to your house to get the solomen's seals!!

diggerb

o

hello everyone!!! I was just wondering if anyone has any pictures to share? I unfortunately forgot my camera the day of the swap, and I am hoping someone is willing to share theirs...

Orcascove (Barb)

o

Beverly and Mimi, thank you so much for another wonderful swap, I got some great plants and even better, got them all planted the same day! That was a new first for me and I think I'll make it a habit if the weather is is at all agreeable. It sure was nice to see everyone again and as usual the food was most excellent. I should have info on the fall swap up in a few days as soon as I get all the details worked out. Hope to see you all there!

Everybody have a great summer!

Jeanne

o

Hi Everybody!!
I am on my Sister-In Laws computer right now and I don't know if anyone will even get to read this now.I forgot you can get on any computer and do this.((DUH!!))
Any way,I don't want to stay on this too long,((Yeah Right))It's killing me not having my own computer.But I just wanted to say Thanks For A Great Swap.It was especially sweet for me because my daughter Diana and her new Husband of less then a year and who's last name I still can't pronounce correctly got to come with me and they loved it.Diana can't wait to come to the next one,So I'm thinking we'll be coming to the fall swap as well.It was great seeing everyone and sharing all the plants and eating all the wonderful food.I wish I could have stayed longer,But my elbow was giving me a fit.I had surgery on it a couple weeks earlier and the cast was making me sweat and itch.But all in all it was alot of fun.
Michelle,My daughter Diana got the wraped package,It was a large ceramic Owl.Very cool!!
I probably won't get back on again.So Thanks for a great time as usual Beverly and Mimi!!!
You two are Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
I'm hoping to see you all again in the fall!!
Granny57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here