Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Pot Luck -Saturday, May 21, 2011

storygardener
13 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners! It's that time again. My name is Beverly - (aka Storygardener). My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, (aka Princess Mimi)and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 21, 2011. It's our tenth year, we think! Mark your calendar.

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011

Time: 10:00 am

Place: Shelter A - Aspen (formally called #5), Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. Same place as previous spring swaps. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants potted or presented well, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, trees, happy seedlings, garden ornaments, bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

ALL PLANT MATERIALS SHOULD BE MARKED WITH THE PLANT'S NAME AND CARE (shade, sun, etc) THEY REQUIRE! Also, mark any plants as invasive or poisonous, if known.

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving utensils & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, & napkins. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name. I can tell you gardeners are WONDERFUL cooks!!

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Over the years we have had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. PLEASE COME WITH A HAPPY AND SHARING HEART. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00pm - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get a name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch & award door prizes

1:00pm - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

This plant swap is free...but, if anyone wants to donate a dollar that day to help defray the cost of the shelter, paper products, etc. - that would be helpful.

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.

Round One - pick one plant

Next Round - pick one plant

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick three plants

And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get a couple of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been pleased in the past. **Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring - if there are enough plants available that interest them.** Every item is considered equal when swapping.

Everyone who is a gardener is welcome to swap/pick throughout the swapping rounds. Children may swap if they are gardeners or have an interest in gardening. Family members may all swap in each round if they are all gardeners.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair or blanket for sitting and a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping. If you have room in the car bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outer belt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west (towards Hilliard) on Cemetery Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles where it ends at Main Street. At this point there is a new round-a-bout which join Cemetery Road with Scioto Darby Road. Then go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) You will see an Urgent Care, also. You stay directly on the park's main road, go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter Aspen. The shelter just left of the children's play area.

Please email or post here with RSVP so we can get a an approximate head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring) Please email with any questions.

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! Feel free to bring a gardening friend. Please email with any questions. Hope you can make it to the swap.

Good gardening...Beverly & Mimi

PS - PLEASE DO NOT LINK THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO ANY OTHER WEBSITES WITHOUT CLEARING IT WITH MIMI OR MYSELF. Thank you.

Comments (123)

• organimom
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

For the newbies...how many plants do people usually bring? I assume all sizes are welcome. I'm trying to get some decent sized pots together but I've thrown in some little starters too.

Can't wait to meet everyone! Have a great weekend!

Amber

• alison
    12 years ago

Amber -- I think it really varies. Some people bring just a dozen or so. When I was doing winter-sowing with a vengence, I think I brought some 90 trades one year -- each "trade" was at least 3 strong plants 3-4" tall. Some people bring shrubs or small trees.

You get to take as much as you came with, so the important thing is that each trade be a strong, viable plant -- one that you wouldn't be disappointed to take home. Packing a trade in a plastic bag isn't bad, but if you're splitting perennials or digging up plants, you really should do it by this weekend, so you know the plants will survive. (I've brought home some plants that had been dug up that morning and didn't have enough roots to survive. )

• Exotik
    12 years ago

@orcascove-could you trade me some sempervivum (hen and chicks) for the daylilies. I'll put your name on them. So far I have about half a dozen daylilies with your name on them (literally!)

I cannot wait for this swap!!

thanks,
    Exotik

• jeanne
    12 years ago

I thought I had posted already but don't see it here, mom and I will be there as always! I can't wait to see everyone. I've been home schooling this year so I don't know if I'll be able to bring as much as in years past, I'm also making a list of things I want to dig at the last moment so we'll see how that works out. As usual I'll have lots of seedlings for shade, so far the Hellebore and Heuchera seedlings are doing really well and the blue-eyed grass looks like it might be blooming in time for the swap. :)

I have a weird request this year, if anyone has extra moss I could really use some! It handles the falling leaves okay but I didn't get around to removing the fading hosta foliage last autumn and I had huge dead patches in my moss this spring from that! It is starting to grow back but I sure could use more. If anyone has some just throw it in a plastic grocery bag between sheets of just dampened newpaper or paper towels. Would be happy to trade generously for it!

See you all soon!
    Jeanne

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness. I can hardly believe it's less than a week away.

Found more email addresses from last year and sent them out a notice...with about half bouncing back. The first year (2001) was 28 people. (Jeanne and Alison were there!!) Gosh, the last few years around 130. It will be fun no matter how many attend. I am so looking forward to see many old gardening friends and making some new ones.

Jeanne.. I am so glad you and your mom will attend again.

Amber - Alison was right. All size plants are welcome. Every trade is equal at this swap. A tomato plant is equal to a rose bush. Just think about what you would like to bring home in a trade and use that as your guide. Generally, there are more plants than folks want. Towards the end of the swapping rounds - any one can take was left over.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Scioto Darby Road at Main street is now a round-a-bout. If you are coming from the freeway Cemetery Road will end at the round-a-bout and you swing around to Scioto Darby.

Also..we have a covered shelter. Swap goes on rain or shine.

I am looking forward to seeing you all.

Good gardening.... Beverly

• strmywthr3
    12 years ago

does anyone have any anaheim pepper plants?

looking forward to the swap, rain or shine. preferably shine. we've had way too much rain lately.

Barbi

• Orcascove
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!!! It's almost time!!! YAY!!!!! I'm NOT sure all what else is coming yet - I plan on getting out there today and potting more stuff up so it can settle for Sat. But as of now I have a Creeping trumpet, and about 4 extra wintersown black cherry toms..( there still small because of all the darn cold weather, but they are in plantable cups and will grow quickly).

@ -nuskewl - Thats great, I will be happy to have them. Plastic bags work, that will let me stuff more things into my limited space.. LOL!!

@ Exotik - I would be happy to set you aside some Hens and Chicks. I don't have lots this year (about 10,000 went to new homes when I removed the 10x12 bed I had last fall), what I do have left are divided into 12 styro coffee cups. They are the smaller dime to 50 cent size ones, (so folks will have them longer as the larger ones are closer to the end of their individual life cycle.) These have 3-5 per-depending on what fit.. and have been growing in these cups since last August, but they are very happy and they will produce more and spread in time as they grow. (I started with about 3 coffee cups worth myself 5 years ago). So let me know how many of the 12 you want... And I will set them aside..

See everyone soon!!!!

• strmywthr3
    12 years ago

orcascove/Barb

I'd love to have one of your black cherry toms. mine failed to sprout for me this year.

I have a variety of other toms avail including cherokee chocolate, black brandywine, marianna's peace, black plum.

strmywthr3/Barbi

• alison
    12 years ago

Most years you feel like the "last frost date" is hopelessly pessimistic -- but this year it doesn't seem far off! After wearing shorts to ork last week, I had to turn on the gas logs last night. And I brought in all the tropicals and houseplants I had potted up for thr swap; doesn't look like they're going to get any sun this week, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate 40 degree nights.

Jeanne -- my mini hostas from the fall swap are up!

• Orcascove
    12 years ago

@ strmywthr3/Barbi

I will set a black cherry aside for you. I'd be interested in a Black brandywine if you can.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi friends - some very sad news here. Mimi's dear sweet mother passed away on Monday. Her mom was a wonderful person. It is likely that Mimi won't be at the swap on Saturday. She said a tiny 'maybe'... but, not to count on it. I am sad on both accounts.

But, of course, the swap will go on. We will need some help from some of you folks that day - with helping to make it go smoothly. Also, I am having a foot/ankle flair-up (the never ending story of my foot & ankle ) - so I will need to stay on the concrete. (Phooey!)

We will make it a good day - but, missing our Mimi.

(ps - Mimi gave me permission to post this information)

• hostalavista
    12 years ago

My Deepest Sympathy to MiMi and her Family.
    MiMi is so Dear and I know her Mother has to be the same.
    I truly hope MiMi and Family can join all of us at the plant swap.
    Hostalavista, Linda

• alison
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing the news, Bev -- I know all of our thoughts are with Mimi and her family....

• Orcascove
    12 years ago

Oh My Goodness! Please do tell Mimi, that my thoughts and prayers are with her. We will surely miss seeing her this year, but under the circumstances anyone can understand her not being there.

• Exotik
    12 years ago

@orcascove~Well, I think that I'll take 4 coffee cup.
    Thanks, Dan/Exotik

• Orcascove
    12 years ago

@ Exotik - 4 have been set aside.. See you Saturday. ;)

• princess_mimi
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone. I'm so sad and your warm thoughts and prayers do help. If I do make it to the swap I won't be bringing anything except some food. I planned to do my digging on Monday and plans changed drastically when that dreaded phone call came.

I hope to be back in town on Friday but I don't know how much energy I'll have by then. Please help out Beverly and her DH to get things set up and kept running.

Also, please be a watch dog for me. If anyone tries to give Beverly grief about anything, please, growl at them until they back off. (I did not get Beverly's permission to post that!) :) Rebecca you can squeek at them and wiggle your whiskers instead. I know that mice are not the best at growling.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming. I'm sure that I'm going to need them.

~~Mimi

• hostalavista
    12 years ago

Anyone interested in trading Hosta's? I have one eyed starts with a good rooting system.... I will bring these bare root wrapped in paper towels, I have:

Aztec Treasure
    Big Daddy
    Blue River
    Captian Kirk
    Chain Lightning
    Cloudburst
    Deane's Dream
    Designer Genes
    Emerald Ruff Cut
    Katie Q
    Midnight Ride
    On the Border
    Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
    Silver Star
    Sugar and Spice
    Wylde Green Cream

Hostalavista Linda

• strmywthr3
    12 years ago

Orcascove/Barb - setting aside a black brandywine for you.

Hostalavista/Linda - sent you an email. would love to trade, but no other named hostas.

Barbi
    strmywthr3

• sunburygirl
    12 years ago

Mimi, we're so sorry to hear about your Mother. I hope you'll feel well enough to sit in on the swap. Sometimes being around good people can be good therapy for a sore heart.

Sorry for the late RSVP. We've had our own crisis stuff going on. I think we have four people coming and about five dogs (?). Beverly, please let us know what we can do once we arrive (table or plant set us, etc.). See you soon

Nancy

• hostalavista
    12 years ago

Good Morning Gardeners,
    Two more days!!!
    Hostalavista Babee!!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy....so glad you can attend. I had notice not seeing your name posting that you are coming! I hope Mimi will be back and able to come for a bit, too.

Thanks so much for your offer of help. I'll let you know when you arrive or during.

Can't wait to see you and all.

Weather looks good, so far. :-)

Beverly

• violet_2010
    12 years ago

Exotik, I sent you a letter on your member's page. It wouldn't let me send your e-mail back because it has my name wrong.

• Exotik
    12 years ago

Hi all,

If anyone has some edible plants (chives, onion, parsley, etc) or trees (cherry, apple, apricot) I'd love to have some. I am going to try to make an edible garden this year, and need the additional plants to finish it.

Thanks,
    Dan/Exotik

@Violet - I emailed you back.

• nuskewl
    12 years ago

I have A LOT of pothos leaves w/roots (small roots, but roots). How many leaves should I put together to equal 1 swap "share"? I was thinking 3.

And..., any suggestions as to how I can bundle them & keep them wet for the swap? I can do wet paper towels w/foil (or plastic wrap) around them. Does anyone have an easier idea?

Thanks in advance... Sarah/NuSkewl

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sarah - pothos are great. Yes, put the rooted part in wet papertowels and a plastic bag. I think three for a swap works. Put in as many as you would want if you were getting it.

See you soon.,.....Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If anyone has a wagon that can fit into your car... please bring it along. It can be helpful as folks unload their cars of plants, etc.

Thanks...Beverly

• nuskewl
    12 years ago

Excellent advise about the pothos, Beverly! I think I'd like 5 if I were looking to bring them home. So..., 5 per pack it is!

We have a wagon & I'll see if I can fit it into the car on Saturday morn. I'll put my name on it :>

I have around 120 things (plants & other gardening items) to bring. I certainly don't want to come home w/that many plants. I'm glad someone else will (probably) be able to use the things I bring.

Very excited....!! Sarah/NuSkewl

• Margie Crawford
    12 years ago

Mimi, I am very sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts are with you.

Dan, I have parsley, marjoram and chives. I'll set some aside for you.

Sorry for the late RSVP but my DH, sister, niece and I will all be at the swap. This is my second swap and I'm really looking forward to it!

• jh54
    12 years ago

Rsvp-ing for two.......I'll be there w/my sister from Dayton, looking forward to Saturday, rain or shine! this our 2nd swap too!

• dawncols
    12 years ago

I will be there +1 and possibly a couple of friends as well.

Looking forward to it.
    Dawn

• nuskewl
    12 years ago

My last minute plant swap blitz to the finish line to do list:

-dig-up day lillies
    -pot marigold seedlings
    -pot cosmos seedlings
    -bundle pothos together
    -print-out marigold info
    -print-out cosmos info
    -print-out pothos info
    -take kid seats out of car
    -pack car
    -make scones
    -empty gray planter
    -pack spider plant babies
    -finish labeling plants for swap on deck
    -count seed packets

OMGosh! I don't know if I'll get it all done! Ugh...

• grannyfifty7
    12 years ago

Mimi,
    I sent you an email through your members page.
    I won't be able to make it tomorrow due to unforseen issues. But I wanted to let you know your in my Heart and always in my Thoughts and Prayers.
    I will miss you,And all the rest of the wonderful sweet people I have come to know over the years.
    God Bless You and Your Families.
    Love to all
    Margie((Granny57)

• barefootz5
    12 years ago

Several years missing the swap :( But not this year I will be coming and bring my Mother... Ima and Mother in law Claudia. So looking forward to it!
    Kathy

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Margie... so sorry you can't make it! I'll miss seeing you.

Kathy - am glad you and MIL and Mom can attend!

See everyone tomorrow. Looks like we will have good weather.

• grannyfifty7
    12 years ago

Beverly,
    It's nice to know I'll be missed cause I sure will miss you and everyone else.I was so geared up to make it this year,I have a really neat door prize and some nice plants I was going to bring,But I guess my time isn't right at this point. I sure hope you don't get any unsavory feedback this year.Hope you'll get lots of help and some one to help you picking out some goodies for you. I know you and the swap will be a big HIT!!!
    I will pray for your ankle to get well, You sure been through alot with it!!
    Hope to read all the good feed back from everyone when it's all said and done.
    Have a great Day and Lots of Fun.
    I'm hoping to do some trading through the mail ,I am looking for the Hosta Brutus, and So if anyone's interested in trading give me a shout!
    Margie((Granny57))

• gardengirl_17
    12 years ago

Sorry for the very late RSVP but my husband and I and our daughter will be there. It looks like we're going to get some long over due sunshine! We're looking forward to seeing everyone but I am sorry to read the news about Mimi's mother. Mimi, I'm very sorry for your loss. We will miss you Saturday if you can't make it but we'll be thinking of you.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gardengirl - so glad you will be able to come to the swap!

Thanks Granny/Margie - Thanks for your kind words. A person can't please everyone everytime. I know we are all part of something special at the special - ten years, hundreds of people and thousands of plants tell the story.

• princess_mimi
    12 years ago

I hope that everyone had a great time at the swap! My thoughts were with you! I was just TOO exhausted to move. It's the first one that I ever missed and I'm feeling nostalgic.

Have a great time planting all of your goodies!

~~Mimi

• frogtalk358
    12 years ago

Thanks from a first-timer to Beverley and Mimi for organizing this. My sympathy to Mimi also. Sorry you weren't able to attend.

I forgot to bring 2 paper bags of bundled bareroot daylilies to the swap. They need a new home because the bed they were in is too shady. Mostly lost-tag daylilies (no ditch lilies, no Stella d'Oro) plus about 6 fans of Broadway Gal. Some are tomato soup red and some are a medium red. Maybe some other colors. If anyone wants these, I'd be happy to meet you along or inside of the northern arc of I-270.

• nuskewl
    12 years ago

Oh Beverly & Mimi..., I had such a wonderful time today! Mimi..., you were on everyone's mind. I heard other gardeners talking about you & your Mom. You were indeed missed today.

I can't thank you ladies enough for working to "put on" this wonderful morning/afternoon. The swap really is better than Christmas to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Sarah/NuSkewl

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi folks... I had a blast today at the swap. It was great fun to see so many long time friends and make some new gardening friends too. We had over 100 people and over 2000 plants for sharing. Awesome! At our first swap in 2001 there were 28 people... it's was so fun to see some of those same people at the swap today.

Thanks to everyone for coming with such a kind and sharing heart - that's what it is all about. Everyone seemed to go home with lots of new plants. :-)

Murray and I came home with some tomatoes, sedums, lillies, coneflowers and many more. Thanks so much.

Of course, thanks to folks for bringing a wonderful array of tastey potluck food! I say this every year... gardeners sure can cook and bake.

Thanks to folks that donated door prizes. We always get such a neat array of goodies to choose from

One last thanks to everyone who came with a kind generosity of spirit.

Good gardening to you all!

Beverly

• strmywthr3
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

what a great day we had for the swap! tons of food, plants and friends!

I've created a facebook group page for us. feel free to join and post any pictures if you have any.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_153805884686358&ap=1

if you're not on facebook - here's a link to my photos:
    http://photobucket.com/2011plantswap

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Barbi.

These are some great photos! Folks are doing some swap chatting on the FB face Barbi created, too.

Time to do some planting!

Beverly

• alison
    12 years ago

Well, another wonderful swap is in the books! I had a great time hanging out with my friends Leone, Fred, Terri and Terri, Elizabeth, Hallie and Ari -- catching up with swap buddies like Bev, Mouse, Jeanne and Rebecca -- and meeting new people like Exotik/Dan and Astrid. Oh, and I got some nifty plants, too.

For the first time, I not only planted pretty much all of my swap goodies right away, I also shamed myself by mentitoning the daylilies that have been languishing in a plastic bag since August, 2009.... so those got in the ground as well.

Many thanks to all who make this swap such a fun time.

And watch this forum for details on the fall swap this Septemember!

• hostalavista
    12 years ago

I got some great plants too, Arum is already in bloom!, I love this plant, thank you to whoever brought it!
    Gilardia, got that too. Tomato plants,
    Thanks to Barbie and Maxine for the trades.
    So nice talking to Marian... hope to see you next year.
    Talked to Cathy and Ralph too, the conversations are as good as getting the plants and food!
    Good to see Dave and Char.
    So good to see Beverly, Murray, you both do such a good job. I know it's alot of work for you, thank you so much.
    Sure did miss MiMi. Thoughts and Prayers are still flowing to her and family!
    Hostalavista, Linda

• grannyfifty7
    12 years ago

Well Beverly and Mimi,
    I know I missed the swap because of this and that.
    But I do feel like I was there with you in Spirit. Especially when I read all the Good, Wonderful Positive feed back from those who were able to be there.
    I knew it would be a Big Hit!!!

Looking forward to next time!!
    Granny57

• jeanne
    12 years ago

Thanks again for putting on the swap Beverly, I got some really great plants this year and even have a few of them planted already! Which motivated me to plant the leftover sedum I hadn't gotten to from the last swap, lol!

Anyway, had a great time as usual, loved the food as always. We missed you, Mimi! See you next year!

Jeanne

• diggerb2
    12 years ago

so sorry i couldn't come to the swap. got stuck doing a
    disappointing little catering.
    i'm hoping their might be a fall one this year?
    otherwise i'll be checking to see when the one for next year will be.

diggerb

• storygardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jeanne.

Digger, we missed you. Hope to see you next time.

Beverly

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional