Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central Ohio Plant Swap/Pot Luck -Saturday, May 21, 2011

Posted by storygardener 5/6 central oh (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 15:40

Hello fellow gardeners! It's that time again. My name is Beverly - (aka Storygardener). My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, (aka Princess Mimi)and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 21, 2011. It's our tenth year, we think! Mark your calendar.

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 21, 2011
Time: 10:00 am
Place: Shelter A - Aspen (formally called #5), Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. Same place as previous spring swaps. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants potted or presented well, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, trees, happy seedlings, garden ornaments, bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

ALL PLANT MATERIALS SHOULD BE MARKED WITH THE PLANT'S NAME AND CARE (shade, sun, etc) THEY REQUIRE! Also, mark any plants as invasive or poisonous, if known.

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving utensils & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, & napkins. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name. I can tell you gardeners are WONDERFUL cooks!!

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Over the years we have had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. PLEASE COME WITH A HAPPY AND SHARING HEART. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00pm - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get a name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.
Noon - have lunch & award door prizes
1:00pm - swap begins
After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

This plant swap is free...but, if anyone wants to donate a dollar that day to help defray the cost of the shelter, paper products, etc. - that would be helpful.

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.
Round One - pick one plant
Next Round - pick one plant
Next Round - pick two plants
Next Round - pick three plants
And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get a couple of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been pleased in the past. **Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring - if there are enough plants available that interest them.** Every item is considered equal when swapping.

Everyone who is a gardener is welcome to swap/pick throughout the swapping rounds. Children may swap if they are gardeners or have an interest in gardening. Family members may all swap in each round if they are all gardeners.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair or blanket for sitting and a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping. If you have room in the car bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outer belt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west (towards Hilliard) on Cemetery Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles where it ends at Main Street. At this point there is a new round-a-bout which join Cemetery Road with Scioto Darby Road. Then go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) You will see an Urgent Care, also. You stay directly on the park's main road, go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter Aspen. The shelter just left of the children's play area.

Please email or post here with RSVP so we can get a an approximate head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring) Please email with any questions.

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! Feel free to bring a gardening friend. Please email with any questions. Hope you can make it to the swap.

Good gardening...Beverly & Mimi

PS - PLEASE DO NOT LINK THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO ANY OTHER WEBSITES WITHOUT CLEARING IT WITH MIMI OR MYSELF. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central Ohio Plant Swap/Pot Luck -Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yay! I can't wait!

(springspringspringspringspringspringspringspringspring.........)

o

Count me in. I plan on being there!

o

Hi Alison and Scheral... so glad you will be attending!

o

hope to be there too. diggerb

o

Count me in,
I'm so happy your doing this again.
Hope I'm still welcome.
Grannyfifty7

o

Always!

o

We'll be there. I'm rounding up others to come as well.
Looking forward to it, as usual!
Stephanie

o

I'll be there!! can't wait!!

does anyone collect blue wine bottles? I have one and was thinking about bringing it. I know some people use them for the bottle trees.

also, someone last year was really interested in sedums and they had a lot hostas I like. this year I'm hoping to have some starts of a solid red sedum and was hoping to trade.

can't wait to see everyone!!
Barbi

o

Please put down three for me. I came last year with my daughter in law and her mother and we had a great time. We were just discussing a couple weeks ago how we were waiting for this big announcement to get posted.

Thanks for doing this for all of us. Can't wait.

Margo

o

Hi Margo, Barbi, Stephanie, Granny57 & Digger!!!
Glad you are attending. Think Spring everyone.

o

dreaming of spring....dreaming of spring.....

o

Put me down for 4. I can hardly wait!

o

Hi Everybody!!
Am I the only one to see Crocus and Daffadills blooming and popping up?
I don't know about anyone else ,But I have Cabin and Spring Fever!!
Can't wait for the swap,Hope gas isn't $5.00 a gallon!!!!
Grannyfifty7

o

Hi Violet... glad you can attend this year!

Hey Granny - my daffys are poppin' too. I can wait.!!

Beverly

o

We will be there! 4 of us!
I was hoping if I posted Spring would come early!
Hostalavista, Linda

o

Of course I'll be there! I will also be performing in the play, "Zack" that evening. Big day!

If you all want to come see me act (in the costumes I designed) I'll send you a link to the site.

My daffs are a poppin' and so are the crocus! Woot!

o

Here I am again,
I went out later on the same day after I posted on March 1st and to my surprise I have a couple Hostas up,I don't know how I missed them I guess I just wasn't expecting to see them. In March!! I don't remember Hostas emerging so early in the year.I thought they started popping up in April or at the least the very end of March.Now my Hostas are about 6-7 inches tall.I know they'll be ouching before long! Any one else see any?

o
Hi Bev, Mimi ,Linda

Hi Girls!!!
Been a long time and I can't wait to see you all!!!
I'm hoping to get all my new Hostas listed that I bought last year.I hope all my tags are still in the ground and in the proper places.I will have to wait to see if they all made it before I list them.
This weather is BONKERS!!!
Cabin Fever is everywhere. I want to cancel my reservations!!!!And reserve Cabin Springer!!!

o

Hi Beverly

I haven't attended for a few years. I have it on my calandar and we (2) will be there. My 1st crocus bloomed on 2/27. Think Spring

Joe Stewart

o

Joe! We will be so happy to see you again! I think of you often when I drive by your gardens or see your lilies in mine. Glad to hear you'll be joining us.

Folks. Did you realize that this is the TENTH year that we've had the swap?! How can that be? I remember bringing tons of seedlings to one of the early ones since my garden was almost empty when I bought this house. Now the challenge is to find somewhere to put something new. I think of so many of my gardening buddies when I see the lovely things in my gardens that they have shared at the swap.

Life is good!

~~Mimi

o

Will be there with bells on! Oh does anyone have any Peace Roses I could swap for? My best friend lost her grandmother and is looking for a Peace rose to put in a memorial garden.

Also, it looks like it will just be me and Kim and whomever else we can round up. Mum and dad will be in a cabin in the country with the grandkids.

hummmm.... what to bring for food.....

o

How's everyone's Flowers Growing now??
It's raining here and so very nice out. And overnight my Daff's came into full bloom.The Beautiful Bright Yellow Color Sure Makes You Feel Warm And Fuzzy Inside.Well Me Anyway!! Makes you want to hurry and push that shovel in the ground.
I have the Neatest Door Prize to bring!! I only wish I could bring every one,ONE!!
I've never seen one like it, So whoever gets to take it home with them, I hope it'll give you a Smile as big as the one it gave me!!
Can't wait to see everyone Again!!
Granny57

o

Hi! I'd love to join everyone for the plant swap. I'm new at this but am looking forward to meeting new people and maybe new plants too!

o

I'd love to attend - CB Findlay

o

We will be so glad to meet you CB and Deb! I'm sure that you'll make lots of new friends. Be sure to come over and introduce yourself to me. I'm usually running around busy with keeping things moving so please seek me out!

Granny! I love my daffs too! We had a one day snow this week that was depressing but today I looked out my back window and saw cheerful daffs nodding at me! Huzzah!

Spring seems to be a long time coming but I'm sure it'll get here eventually!

~~Mimi

o

I am new to the board and working on a major project this spring. The road crew cut back the banks in our front yard and I have one bank of 160'x6' of steep bank to cover. But I am hoping to get some gardening done in my flower beds. I will have hosta's, spiderwort, wild geranium, and some small delicate iris' that I do not know the name of to bring hopefully. Looking forward to meeting all the gardeners and hopefully getting some ideas.
Kristi
Fairfield County

o

KMolli5 what are you looking for? I would love some of the iris! I have plenty of sedum for ground cover and some pretty spurge that likes to go crazy. Shoot me an email if you want and I'll make sure to bring you some.

Everyone else! I am already getting ready! I can't wait!

Ps. does anyone have a peace rose I could trade for? My best friend wants one for a memorial garden in memory of her grandmother. I am very creative in my trading if that helps.

o

Hi Mimi!!
Been a long time!!!I'm so hoping nothing comes up to where I won't be able to make it. But as far as I know I will be there. Can't wait to see everyone again. My Spring flowers are up and mostly blooming except the Tulips, There almost open. I have a Beautiful Peony looking plant already blooming and I'm not sure what it is but it sure is a nice plant.
I will be bringing some Lamiums((I guess that's how you spell it))I've had them for so many years that I've lost all the tags and it will be a grab bag. I know I have Silver Beacon and Rose and White and Pink flowered Laminums but don't know which till they bloom ,And some of the Laminums have Silver spotted leaves. I will also be bringing other plants just not sure yet what they will be.
Hi Mouse!! Are you looking for just any kind of Iris? I have some Siberian Iris,At least I think that's what they are.they are the short variety and very pretty Blue.I can bring you some if you want them.
Beautiful day out today,Don't want to miss out.
By the way, Anyone interested in giving a rescued cat a good home? They've all been fixed and wormed and had their shots including Rabies.Very pretty and sweet animals.
Talk at you later!
Granny57

o

Hi Mimi! I'll be bringing my sister with me. Her name (very appropriately) is Tree.

o

• Posted by Exotik 5/6 Hilliard (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 11, 11 at 22:46

Hi, I have never been to a plant-swap. What types of plants should be brought? I have some ficus microcarpa and japanese maple bonsai; and some boxwood and prickly pear rooting cuttings. I also have over 5 pots filled up to 7 plants each with a horizontal growing plant that has invaded my garden after its introduction two years ago. I flowers with longs stalks (2 ft tall) and dies and regrows yearly. Does anyone know the name?

o

Hi Joe... just saw that you are attending this year. It will be good to see you.

Exotic - welcome. You can bring houseplants as well as garden plants . I don't know off hand what your invaisive is. Please mark it as invaisive. Hopefully, someone will able to identify it.

Granny... I hope you will be able to come!!!

Hi Kristi... welcome aboard!! You'll find folks are very friendly. Glad you will attend.

CBfindlay - glad you will be coming, too.

Kmolli - sounds like the crew impacted a big space. Welcome.

Deb3065 - glad you will come to the swap this year.

HOstalavista.... so glad you don't have to work!! See you soon.

Happy Spring, everyone.

o

Please count me in!!

I had a blast last year @ my very 1st swap!! I got all the plants into the ground that I brought home from the swap & they're happy in their new home. My garden's certainly looking more full this year!! Soon all those my plants will have new friends from the swap this year to keep them company!

Gosh!! What should I bring to share @ the pot luck? I'll start thinkin'!!

See'ya soon!!

o

Hi nuskewl - so glad you are attending. I know that gardeners are great cooks too!!

See you soon. :-)

o

There are some pictures of the plants, both in pots and in my garden, in the link. Now, is it identifiable? I took these pcitures earlier today. As you can see, I have about 5 per pot (says #2 on it).

Here is a link that might be useful: Can you identify the plant?

o

Exotik - I know you sent me an email in regards to bundling up blinds and how many. I often use old blinds too. I am sorry I accidentally deleted your email with out answering. I think 10 -15 sticks would be fine as a bundle.

See you soon.

(let me know if there's anything I left out of answering your email.)

o

Hi Storygardener/Beverly!

It's me, NuSkewl, who sent the email about the blinds. Thanks for replying here.

10-15 per bundle sounds PERFECT! I'll get those together this week! I'm going through the garage & finding all kinds of fun things to bring to the swap that I *totally forgot* I put in there (the garage). I'm also starting some cuttings of the "philodendron" / "pothos" (sp) house plant. My 2 sturdy guys need a really good hair cut! What a great way to pass on the cuttings!

Sooo excited!! :D Thanks again... Sarah / NuSkewl

o

I did some research on the plant, it is a "daylily." Do they usually grow this vigorous?
I may also bring some spearmint and oregano if anyone wants some.

o
RE: Central Ohio Plant Swap/Pot Luck -Saaturday, May 21, 2011

NuSkewl, I'd be interested in some well rooted pothos. I've had a cutting in water for at least two weeks. It has been growing, but no new roots have formed...

o

Hi Everyone!!

My Brother(Rob) and I intend to be there again this year!!! I have requested the day off work, but I haven't gotten my approval back yet - so keep your fingers crossed for me. It will be a sad day indeed IF I'm working instead of being with you all.

Orcascove (Barb)

o

Barb! We will be sad too if you can't come! The scheduler should fear my wrath! (OK. maybe I'm not tooo scary!)

Nuskewl- Yes, daylilies are "that" vigorous. Especially if you have the original wild flower variety "Fulva." Those would have single orange trumpet shaped blossoms. You probably see them growing along side the roads here in Ohio with the other "roadsidia". The neat thing about them is that every part of the plant is edible! (Can you tell I live with a house full of Boy Scouts!)

Everyone--I hope that you are all enjoying a lovely Easter Sunday! (In the house or out in your gardens!)

~~Mimi

o

Hard to believe it's less than a month away! I always look forward to the spring swap -- partly for the plants, but more and more for the chance to hang out with other gardeners, and see some special swap buddies.

I don't have many seedlings this year, so I'll be bringing mostly spits and volunteers. Some nice cat mint volunteers, pale lavender obedient plant and red and white Jupiter's beard. I have both yellow and mixed purple iris, Royal Standard hosta, lilies-of-the-valley, and resurrection lilies. I also have a bunch of tender and houseplant cuttings and starts; plectranthus, ponytail palms, dracena, and various non-name succulents.

Give me a shout if there's anything you're particularly interested in!

o

What is the deadline for RSVPing and how many people are already signed up?

o

Hi Rosies... there is no deadline. We ask folks to RSVP just so we have an idea of how plates, plastic ware, etc to bring.

Last year we had 134 folks attend. It is different every year. Anywhere from 28 - 140 people over the years. Not everyone rsvp's that attends. So far, we have about 35 people that I know of.

Hope to see you there.

o

Hi everyone!!! I just got the word, my request for the day off has been approved..(Mimi- you must be scarrier then you thought!! LOL!!) SO officially -2- my brother and myself, and perhaps 3 (if I can talk my mom into coming too).

Exotik - I would love some of those daylilies.. Do you happen to know what color they bloom?.

I got one orange set at the swap last year but they have not spread at all yet and I'm trying to create a run of multi colored DITCH lilies across a 50 ft section of my back fence.. so anyone with any color of actual day lily that has some to spare, please do bring them.. (I don't think the city would look kindly on my snagging some from their freeway displays.. LOL!!)

o

Going to finish potting up splits and starts this weekend, so they have plenty of time to settle in (or die...) before the swap.

Now... to decide what food to bring....

o

Exotik, I'm doing the same on my end (rooting in water). I'd be happy to set a few leaves aside w/your name on them. I have A MILLION (exaggerating a little) & will be bundling them in packs of 5 or 6.

o

@orcascove-from my memory, the daylilies bloom an orange color.

@Nuskewl-thx, and keep me posted on if they root, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

@alison-I'd love to have some plectranthus (vicks plant?), and ponytail palm and dracanea, if it not the "lucky bamboo" type, as I already have some of those.

If you want some spearmint, oregano, dalilies, hostas, sphagum moss, or something that I've forgotten, just ask, I might just have some.

o

anyone interested in pussy willows? I got a bunch of rooted cuttings from my neighbor's mom.

Barbi

o

srry, not sphagum moss, but creeping phlox moss. I just smelled a lily of the valle today, and they smell wonderful, if someone has some, I'd love to make a trade for it.

o

Exotik -- I've got lilies-of-the-valley pips that are sprouting, "Mona Lavender" plectranthus from rooted cuttings, and very small ponytail palms and dracena (I think this variety is commonly called 'corn plant'.) The later two are very small, so I'll bundle them together in exchange for some decent size hosta -- or any other shady lovers you've got!

o

Barbi..., I'd love some pussy willow cuttings!! Maybe 2, so if 1 doesn't make it, I'll have a back-up. Thanks for offering!!

Exotic..., what color is the creeping phlox? I have a light purple, but would love some white or pink (hot pink or pastel pink, or BOTH :> ).

o

@Exotic - I would be happy to take the orange ones, my little clump is still only about 9 inches around.. LOL!! So seriously anyone else with other colors of ditch lilies please do bring them..;) So far I have some more hens and chicks, and not sure what else.. The rain has been in every second I'm off work or classes, and I just haven't gotten out there to see what else I can divide..But I'm sure it will be a hodgepodge as usual.. LOL!!
Pasta Salad is on the menu (with no onion since I'm allergic to it). And perhaps a dessert of some kind too!!

o

One person's hodge-podge is... 20 other people's 'that's just exactly what I need!'

o

Ralph and I will be there. I have a number of plants potted up, including a couple hostas, but I'll get even more if we just get a little dry weather.

mao

o

Nuskewl -Ah, what luck we have, I also have, sadly, a light purple phlox.

Orcascove -Great! Hope to see you at Hilliard Municipal Park

Alison -I'll accept the Lily of the Valley and the ponytail palm/dracanea. I have a large (2 ft wide) gold-ish colored hosta and 3 smaller (1/2 to 1 ft wide) hosta with light green, dark green, and white. They have not fully sprouted, and I don't quite remember their colors. Would you like some spearmint in exchange for the lily of the valley, or perhaps some oregano? ...For the "Mona Lavender" plectranthus, I guess I'm not interested, as I was expecting a "Vick's Plant" which is quite aromatic.

o

Beverly & Mimi...

Would it be OK if I posted the swap info @ a local parenting forum? I'm guessing there are maybe a total of 10 gardeners (not more) who might be interested. I would let you know how many friends would be coming from the parenting forum.

I also told my Aunt about this event. I'm RSVP-ing for her.

Thanks for putting this together!! NuSkewl/Sarah

o

Sarah - you are welcome to invite your friends. All we ask is that they read the info about the swap to see how it works.

I am so glad your aunt is coming too!

Just a few weeks away! Beverly

o

Beverly & Mimi,

Thank you so much for organizing this. It sounds so great. My husband and I plan on attending. This will be our first plant swap so we're not real sure what we should bring. We've got tomato plants, sun drops, iris, thyme, sweet woodruff, & lots of strawberries. Hopefully someone will find those useful.

Thanks again!
Amber

o

Hey Mouse,
How can I email you? I went into your member's page and their isn't anyplace to send you one.
I have a Q to ask you about a Hosta you got from the swap a few years back that has large heart shaped leaves. Do you think you still have it or remember it? I'd like to do a trade with you on that Hosta.Can you get back to me on that? Since I can't get to you.
Thanks
Granny57

o

orcascove, I have some ditch/day lillies I'm wanting to find a new home for. I know you're looking for them, but I want to know if you'd take them if they're in w/other plants? I think there's also "wild violets", but crab grass might also be in there.

I'm pretty sure the ones I have are orange.

Let me know soon, so I can get them out of the ground & label them just for you.

NuSkewl/Sarah

o

Organimom,

I would find some sweet woodruff useful. I heard they smell great. Sundrops also sound attractive.

Thanks for the offer,
Exotik/Dan

o

Beverly &/or Mimi,

Do you think the big plastic pretzel or cheese ball (like cheese puffs, but little balls) containers would be useful & swap-able? There are lids for 99.9% of them. I think I have 6-9 of them.

I was planning on using them for *winter sowing*, but never got around to it (for the past 2 winters). Our Boys eat a LOT of pretzels, so I have a steady stream of these large containers.

Thanks... NuSkewl/Sarah

o

Oh... I'm shoutin' out for a large plastic (1 gallon +) ice cream container w/a lid (& usually w/a handle). We use it for our compost container in the kitchen & ours is on it's last leg. It's cracked & becoming less & less sturdy as the days go by.

Thanks in advance... NuSkewl/Sarah

o

alison-I'd love to have some plectranthus (vicks plant)

barbi, I would love a couple of pussy willows.

I will be bringing hosta-stiletto, purple obedient plant, sweet woodruff, ostrich ferns, bracken ferns, Euonymus - Gold, rooted, night blooming cereus, and what ever else pops up!

o

Hi Sarah... folks might want some of those containers. You never know! Bring them and if someone wants them.. good. If not - take them home to recycle. It's worth a try.

Amber - so glad you can come. I think folks will like what you are bringing. See you soon.

Swap is happening soon! :-)

o

Sproutlinda -- what I have is not Vick's plant, but is more like an upright Swedish Ivy. Dark green lobed leaves with a dark purple underside and a vaguely minty smell when crushed. They have lovely spikes of tiny purple flowers with darker purple throats. Do a google search on "plectranthus mona lavender" to get an idea of what they look like -- altho' I'll warn you, they ususally are *quite* as loaded with blooms as the pictures suggest!

o

.. I meant to say the plants in real life are *not* usually as loaded with as the staged garden photos. Still pretty floriferous, tho! And they are surprisingly hardy -- I didn't bring my plant indoors until Thanksgiving, and it did well.

o

@ nuskewl - my yard is a certified wildlife habitat, so I don't use chemicals of any kind, which means I have loads of wild violets (and clover) in my grass to begin with LOL!!.. And well honestly at my place grass is anything semi green outside of my flower bed edging, so while most everyone else would cringe, I have crab grass around too.. I spend my time worrying about weeds in my flower beds, not on the grass which takes up to much of my limited time cutting to begin with.. LOL!!

So that is a yes I would love to have them.. Just let me know how much we are talking about.. I only have a car with 2 other people and their bounties in it too.. I usually manage to get a good amount in the trunk, but I want to make sure folks are prepared to sit with containers on their laps if necessary.. LOL!!

o

Orcascove!! EXCELLENT! I'm so glad you'll be able to use them!! We're not talkin' about a trunk full. I'm short on containers, so I might have to use plastic grocery bags (if that's OK). I'm thinking I could probably get them into 2 or 3 bags. The bags would probably be able to be scrunched together a little.

We don't use chemicals either. We have more dandelions than grass.

SWEET!! I *will* bring along those plastic containers. & happily take them to the recycling dumpsters if they don't have a new home by the end of the swap. :>

o

Well, I have the day off work tomorrow, so I'll be finishing potting up and taking stock of what I'm bringing.

This weekend I'll start cooking the pulled pork. It goes so fast during the potluck, I find I need to do the prep in several steps in order to make enough.

Hope I'll be bringing a couple of extra people -- looking forward to seeing all my gardening buddies. WoOt! 10 days to go!

o

So, about a week ago, I soaked about 20 tomato seeds in a paper towel. They have all have rooted... so now I have 20 tomato seedlings (the big and jucy kind). The more the merrier!

o

Work has been crazy lately so I haven't been posting much (I'll give you all the gory details at the swap if you'd like!) But, we've got a bunch of nice sized beefstake tomatoes potted up, some forgetmenots and probably lots more. This year my goal is to bring more than I leave with, although that was my goal last year and I didn't quite reach that!! : ) Oh well. It's so fun. I can't let a hopeless plant go to waste!
See you all soon!

o

Just thought I'd ask- Does anyone on here want a beautiful parlour electric organ?FOR FREE! It is solid wood, comes with bench and some music. I can bring it to the swap or you can pick it up at my house. (I live near the Hilltop). It is pretty heavy so you will need a van or SUV or truck for it.

If so let me know! I need to find it a good home.

Thanks,
Rebecca

o

For the newbies...how many plants do people usually bring? I assume all sizes are welcome. I'm trying to get some decent sized pots together but I've thrown in some little starters too.

Can't wait to meet everyone! Have a great weekend!

Amber

o

Amber -- I think it really varies. Some people bring just a dozen or so. When I was doing winter-sowing with a vengence, I think I brought some 90 trades one year -- each "trade" was at least 3 strong plants 3-4" tall. Some people bring shrubs or small trees.

You get to take as much as you came with, so the important thing is that each trade be a strong, viable plant -- one that you wouldn't be disappointed to take home. Packing a trade in a plastic bag isn't bad, but if you're splitting perennials or digging up plants, you really should do it by this weekend, so you know the plants will survive. (I've brought home some plants that had been dug up that morning and didn't have enough roots to survive. )

o

@orcascove-could you trade me some sempervivum (hen and chicks) for the daylilies. I'll put your name on them. So far I have about half a dozen daylilies with your name on them (literally!)

I cannot wait for this swap!!

thanks,
Exotik

o

I thought I had posted already but don't see it here, mom and I will be there as always! I can't wait to see everyone. I've been home schooling this year so I don't know if I'll be able to bring as much as in years past, I'm also making a list of things I want to dig at the last moment so we'll see how that works out. As usual I'll have lots of seedlings for shade, so far the Hellebore and Heuchera seedlings are doing really well and the blue-eyed grass looks like it might be blooming in time for the swap. :)

I have a weird request this year, if anyone has extra moss I could really use some! It handles the falling leaves okay but I didn't get around to removing the fading hosta foliage last autumn and I had huge dead patches in my moss this spring from that! It is starting to grow back but I sure could use more. If anyone has some just throw it in a plastic grocery bag between sheets of just dampened newpaper or paper towels. Would be happy to trade generously for it!

See you all soon!
Jeanne

o

Oh my goodness. I can hardly believe it's less than a week away.

Found more email addresses from last year and sent them out a notice...with about half bouncing back. The first year (2001) was 28 people. (Jeanne and Alison were there!!) Gosh, the last few years around 130. It will be fun no matter how many attend. I am so looking forward to see many old gardening friends and making some new ones.

Jeanne.. I am so glad you and your mom will attend again.

Amber - Alison was right. All size plants are welcome. Every trade is equal at this swap. A tomato plant is equal to a rose bush. Just think about what you would like to bring home in a trade and use that as your guide. Generally, there are more plants than folks want. Towards the end of the swapping rounds - any one can take was left over.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Scioto Darby Road at Main street is now a round-a-bout. If you are coming from the freeway Cemetery Road will end at the round-a-bout and you swing around to Scioto Darby.

Also..we have a covered shelter. Swap goes on rain or shine.

I am looking forward to seeing you all.

Good gardening.... Beverly

o

does anyone have any anaheim pepper plants?

looking forward to the swap, rain or shine. preferably shine. we've had way too much rain lately.

Barbi

o

Hi Everyone!!! It's almost time!!! YAY!!!!! I'm NOT sure all what else is coming yet - I plan on getting out there today and potting more stuff up so it can settle for Sat. But as of now I have a Creeping trumpet, and about 4 extra wintersown black cherry toms..( there still small because of all the darn cold weather, but they are in plantable cups and will grow quickly).

@ -nuskewl - Thats great, I will be happy to have them. Plastic bags work, that will let me stuff more things into my limited space.. LOL!!

@ Exotik - I would be happy to set you aside some Hens and Chicks. I don't have lots this year (about 10,000 went to new homes when I removed the 10x12 bed I had last fall), what I do have left are divided into 12 styro coffee cups. They are the smaller dime to 50 cent size ones, (so folks will have them longer as the larger ones are closer to the end of their individual life cycle.) These have 3-5 per-depending on what fit.. and have been growing in these cups since last August, but they are very happy and they will produce more and spread in time as they grow. (I started with about 3 coffee cups worth myself 5 years ago). So let me know how many of the 12 you want... And I will set them aside..

See everyone soon!!!!

o

orcascove/Barb

I'd love to have one of your black cherry toms. mine failed to sprout for me this year.

I have a variety of other toms avail including cherokee chocolate, black brandywine, marianna's peace, black plum.

strmywthr3/Barbi

o

Most years you feel like the "last frost date" is hopelessly pessimistic -- but this year it doesn't seem far off! After wearing shorts to ork last week, I had to turn on the gas logs last night. And I brought in all the tropicals and houseplants I had potted up for thr swap; doesn't look like they're going to get any sun this week, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate 40 degree nights.

Jeanne -- my mini hostas from the fall swap are up!

o

@ strmywthr3/Barbi

I will set a black cherry aside for you. I'd be interested in a Black brandywine if you can.

o

Hi friends - some very sad news here. Mimi's dear sweet mother passed away on Monday. Her mom was a wonderful person. It is likely that Mimi won't be at the swap on Saturday. She said a tiny 'maybe'... but, not to count on it. I am sad on both accounts.

But, of course, the swap will go on. We will need some help from some of you folks that day - with helping to make it go smoothly. Also, I am having a foot/ankle flair-up (the never ending story of my foot & ankle ) - so I will need to stay on the concrete. (Phooey!)

We will make it a good day - but, missing our Mimi.

(ps - Mimi gave me permission to post this information)

o

My Deepest Sympathy to MiMi and her Family.
MiMi is so Dear and I know her Mother has to be the same.
I truly hope MiMi and Family can join all of us at the plant swap.
Hostalavista, Linda

o

Thanks for sharing the news, Bev -- I know all of our thoughts are with Mimi and her family....

o

Oh My Goodness! Please do tell Mimi, that my thoughts and prayers are with her. We will surely miss seeing her this year, but under the circumstances anyone can understand her not being there.

o

@orcascove~Well, I think that I'll take 4 coffee cup.
Thanks, Dan/Exotik

o

@ Exotik - 4 have been set aside.. See you Saturday. ;)

o

Thank you everyone. I'm so sad and your warm thoughts and prayers do help. If I do make it to the swap I won't be bringing anything except some food. I planned to do my digging on Monday and plans changed drastically when that dreaded phone call came.

I hope to be back in town on Friday but I don't know how much energy I'll have by then. Please help out Beverly and her DH to get things set up and kept running.

Also, please be a watch dog for me. If anyone tries to give Beverly grief about anything, please, growl at them until they back off. (I did not get Beverly's permission to post that!) :) Rebecca you can squeek at them and wiggle your whiskers instead. I know that mice are not the best at growling.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming. I'm sure that I'm going to need them.

~~Mimi

o

Anyone interested in trading Hosta's? I have one eyed starts with a good rooting system.... I will bring these bare root wrapped in paper towels, I have:

Aztec Treasure
Big Daddy
Blue River
Captian Kirk
Chain Lightning
Cloudburst
Deane's Dream
Designer Genes
Emerald Ruff Cut
Katie Q
Midnight Ride
On the Border
Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
Silver Star
Sugar and Spice
Wylde Green Cream

Hostalavista Linda

o

Orcascove/Barb - setting aside a black brandywine for you.

Hostalavista/Linda - sent you an email. would love to trade, but no other named hostas.

Barbi
strmywthr3

o

Mimi, we're so sorry to hear about your Mother. I hope you'll feel well enough to sit in on the swap. Sometimes being around good people can be good therapy for a sore heart.

Sorry for the late RSVP. We've had our own crisis stuff going on. I think we have four people coming and about five dogs (?). Beverly, please let us know what we can do once we arrive (table or plant set us, etc.). See you soon

Nancy

o

Good Morning Gardeners,
Two more days!!!
Hostalavista Babee!!

o

Nancy....so glad you can attend. I had notice not seeing your name posting that you are coming! I hope Mimi will be back and able to come for a bit, too.

Thanks so much for your offer of help. I'll let you know when you arrive or during.

Can't wait to see you and all.

Weather looks good, so far. :-)

Beverly

o

Exotik, I sent you a letter on your member's page. It wouldn't let me send your e-mail back because it has my name wrong.

o

Hi all,

If anyone has some edible plants (chives, onion, parsley, etc) or trees (cherry, apple, apricot) I'd love to have some. I am going to try to make an edible garden this year, and need the additional plants to finish it.

Thanks,
Dan/Exotik

@Violet - I emailed you back.

o

I have A LOT of pothos leaves w/roots (small roots, but roots). How many leaves should I put together to equal 1 swap "share"? I was thinking 3.

And..., any suggestions as to how I can bundle them & keep them wet for the swap? I can do wet paper towels w/foil (or plastic wrap) around them. Does anyone have an easier idea?

Thanks in advance... Sarah/NuSkewl

o

Sarah - pothos are great. Yes, put the rooted part in wet papertowels and a plastic bag. I think three for a swap works. Put in as many as you would want if you were getting it.

See you soon.,.....Beverly

o
wagon

If anyone has a wagon that can fit into your car... please bring it along. It can be helpful as folks unload their cars of plants, etc.

Thanks...Beverly

o

Excellent advise about the pothos, Beverly! I think I'd like 5 if I were looking to bring them home. So..., 5 per pack it is!

We have a wagon & I'll see if I can fit it into the car on Saturday morn. I'll put my name on it :>

I have around 120 things (plants & other gardening items) to bring. I certainly don't want to come home w/that many plants. I'm glad someone else will (probably) be able to use the things I bring.

Very excited....!! Sarah/NuSkewl

o

Mimi, I am very sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts are with you.

Dan, I have parsley, marjoram and chives. I'll set some aside for you.

Sorry for the late RSVP but my DH, sister, niece and I will all be at the swap. This is my second swap and I'm really looking forward to it!

o

Rsvp-ing for two.......I'll be there w/my sister from Dayton, looking forward to Saturday, rain or shine! this our 2nd swap too!

o

I will be there +1 and possibly a couple of friends as well.

Looking forward to it.
Dawn

o

My last minute plant swap blitz to the finish line to do list:

-dig-up day lillies
-pot marigold seedlings
-pot cosmos seedlings
-bundle pothos together
-print-out marigold info
-print-out cosmos info
-print-out pothos info
-take kid seats out of car
-pack car
-make scones
-empty gray planter
-pack spider plant babies
-finish labeling plants for swap on deck
-count seed packets

OMGosh! I don't know if I'll get it all done! Ugh...

o

Mimi,
I sent you an email through your members page.
I won't be able to make it tomorrow due to unforseen issues. But I wanted to let you know your in my Heart and always in my Thoughts and Prayers.
I will miss you,And all the rest of the wonderful sweet people I have come to know over the years.
God Bless You and Your Families.
Love to all
Margie((Granny57)

o

Several years missing the swap :( But not this year I will be coming and bring my Mother... Ima and Mother in law Claudia. So looking forward to it!
Kathy

o

Margie... so sorry you can't make it! I'll miss seeing you.

Kathy - am glad you and MIL and Mom can attend!

See everyone tomorrow. Looks like we will have good weather.

o

Beverly,
It's nice to know I'll be missed cause I sure will miss you and everyone else.I was so geared up to make it this year,I have a really neat door prize and some nice plants I was going to bring,But I guess my time isn't right at this point. I sure hope you don't get any unsavory feedback this year.Hope you'll get lots of help and some one to help you picking out some goodies for you. I know you and the swap will be a big HIT!!!
I will pray for your ankle to get well, You sure been through alot with it!!
Hope to read all the good feed back from everyone when it's all said and done.
Have a great Day and Lots of Fun.
I'm hoping to do some trading through the mail ,I am looking for the Hosta Brutus, and So if anyone's interested in trading give me a shout!
Margie((Granny57))

o

Sorry for the very late RSVP but my husband and I and our daughter will be there. It looks like we're going to get some long over due sunshine! We're looking forward to seeing everyone but I am sorry to read the news about Mimi's mother. Mimi, I'm very sorry for your loss. We will miss you Saturday if you can't make it but we'll be thinking of you.

o

Gardengirl - so glad you will be able to come to the swap!

Thanks Granny/Margie - Thanks for your kind words. A person can't please everyone everytime. I know we are all part of something special at the special - ten years, hundreds of people and thousands of plants tell the story.

o

I hope that everyone had a great time at the swap! My thoughts were with you! I was just TOO exhausted to move. It's the first one that I ever missed and I'm feeling nostalgic.

Have a great time planting all of your goodies!

~~Mimi

o

Thanks from a first-timer to Beverley and Mimi for organizing this. My sympathy to Mimi also. Sorry you weren't able to attend.

I forgot to bring 2 paper bags of bundled bareroot daylilies to the swap. They need a new home because the bed they were in is too shady. Mostly lost-tag daylilies (no ditch lilies, no Stella d'Oro) plus about 6 fans of Broadway Gal. Some are tomato soup red and some are a medium red. Maybe some other colors. If anyone wants these, I'd be happy to meet you along or inside of the northern arc of I-270.

o

Oh Beverly & Mimi..., I had such a wonderful time today! Mimi..., you were on everyone's mind. I heard other gardeners talking about you & your Mom. You were indeed missed today.

I can't thank you ladies enough for working to "put on" this wonderful morning/afternoon. The swap really is better than Christmas to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Sarah/NuSkewl

o

Hi folks... I had a blast today at the swap. It was great fun to see so many long time friends and make some new gardening friends too. We had over 100 people and over 2000 plants for sharing. Awesome! At our first swap in 2001 there were 28 people... it's was so fun to see some of those same people at the swap today.

Thanks to everyone for coming with such a kind and sharing heart - that's what it is all about. Everyone seemed to go home with lots of new plants. :-)

Murray and I came home with some tomatoes, sedums, lillies, coneflowers and many more. Thanks so much.

Of course, thanks to folks for bringing a wonderful array of tastey potluck food! I say this every year... gardeners sure can cook and bake.

Thanks to folks that donated door prizes. We always get such a neat array of goodies to choose from

One last thanks to everyone who came with a kind generosity of spirit.

Good gardening to you all!

Beverly

o

Hello Everyone!!

what a great day we had for the swap! tons of food, plants and friends!

I've created a facebook group page for us. feel free to join and post any pictures if you have any.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_153805884686358&ap=1

if you're not on facebook - here's a link to my photos:
http://photobucket.com/2011plantswap

o

Thanks, Barbi.

These are some great photos! Folks are doing some swap chatting on the FB face Barbi created, too.

Time to do some planting!

Beverly

o

Well, another wonderful swap is in the books! I had a great time hanging out with my friends Leone, Fred, Terri and Terri, Elizabeth, Hallie and Ari -- catching up with swap buddies like Bev, Mouse, Jeanne and Rebecca -- and meeting new people like Exotik/Dan and Astrid. Oh, and I got some nifty plants, too.

For the first time, I not only planted pretty much all of my swap goodies right away, I also shamed myself by mentitoning the daylilies that have been languishing in a plastic bag since August, 2009.... so those got in the ground as well.

Many thanks to all who make this swap such a fun time.

And watch this forum for details on the fall swap this Septemember!

o

I got some great plants too, Arum is already in bloom!, I love this plant, thank you to whoever brought it!
Gilardia, got that too. Tomato plants,
Thanks to Barbie and Maxine for the trades.
So nice talking to Marian... hope to see you next year.
Talked to Cathy and Ralph too, the conversations are as good as getting the plants and food!
Good to see Dave and Char.
So good to see Beverly, Murray, you both do such a good job. I know it's alot of work for you, thank you so much.
Sure did miss MiMi. Thoughts and Prayers are still flowing to her and family!
Hostalavista, Linda

o

Well Beverly and Mimi,
I know I missed the swap because of this and that.
But I do feel like I was there with you in Spirit. Especially when I read all the Good, Wonderful Positive feed back from those who were able to be there.
I knew it would be a Big Hit!!!

Looking forward to next time!!
Granny57

o

Thanks again for putting on the swap Beverly, I got some really great plants this year and even have a few of them planted already! Which motivated me to plant the leftover sedum I hadn't gotten to from the last swap, lol!

Anyway, had a great time as usual, loved the food as always. We missed you, Mimi! See you next year!

Jeanne

o

so sorry i couldn't come to the swap. got stuck doing a
disappointing little catering.
i'm hoping their might be a fall one this year?
otherwise i'll be checking to see when the one for next year will be.

diggerb

o

Thanks, Jeanne.

Digger, we missed you. Hope to see you next time.

Beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here