Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_texas

Spring Swap for San Antonio/Austin area

Patty_Texas
20 years ago

Does anyone in our regular bunch want to host this spring's swap ?

We've had great response when we have this in San Marcos, since it's a good half-way point between the gardeners in the Austin area, the San Antonio area, and those all around from other directions.

We don't HAVE to have it in the same place. Others have even hosted a swap on their property at home, or a nearby park.

Let me know if you are interested in this undertaking. It's never too early to start planning !

patty

Comments (12)

• mylubbock
    20 years ago

I am a new gardener, and don't have anything to swap yet. I would, however, love to see what works so well for people that they have enough to share. I wouldn't expect to bring anything home, but don't want to show up empty-handed. Would it be a plant swap faux pas to show up without plants? Can I volunteer for bringing some food or beverage instead?

• teri_mico
    20 years ago

Patty,

I am planning on attending and bringing a few people with. Just send me an email and let me know what I can do to help.

• patecake78613
    20 years ago

I will watch for the up-dates! I have had to work and haven't been able to come to one yet. I don't have anything unusual to swap, but should have some hardy hibiscus by the time that someone gets it set up and ready!

• KarenTX8b
    20 years ago

I'm interested in there being one. I'm not sure I'd have the time to sponsor one outside of my area tho. I certainly have stuff to bring, and am willing to bring food, drinks, etc.

Karen

• TXChickadee
    20 years ago

I'd love to come, too, and help if i can with the planning. Hosting is probably a bit beyond me at this point, though. If I had more space, then sure!

• chargreen
    20 years ago

Patty,
    Just to inform us newbies, can you tell us where you had the swap in San Marcos last year? Can it be at the same place if no one else volunteers to host? If no one wants to take over the entire planning what do you need help with the most? I'm sure there are lots of willing volunteers to help we just need to be pointed in the right direction!
    Charlotte

• Patty_Texas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hello everyone ! Glad to see we're getting some interest for the spring swap. I know the regulars will be there, but newbies are welcome too !

I am unable to write back after you post here because when I get your email (from your post on GardenWeb) it says

(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

I don't know if you realized this, but there is a place on GW where you become a member where there are two boxes, and if you don't check them, they will not allow your email to be seen when you reply to other members' posts. This prevents all of us from being able to write to you. These boxes are in the pink area of your member page. And these are the two places which need to be checked.

X Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site. (They will not see your address unless one of the following is also checked.)

X Show your email address to other members.
    (Other members will be able to see your address on our email form page, etc, but it will not be displayed in the forums, etc., to non-members. Because of the possibility your address will be picked up by a determined spammer, you may wish to leave this unchecked.)

Just like it says, only other members will be able to see your address.

To send you an answer by email, I must go to your link for "My Page". There, you have a link to "send me an email." Some people, though won't go to the trouble of finding you this way, and you may miss some good exchanges if you've started that yet.

Please doublecheck this on your page. If you would like for other members to be able to answer you it helps a lot if they can just hit their "reply" button, instead of needing to turn on GardenWeb and go through all the other steps.

I hope to hear from more of you about the swap. Carla and I may host again, and yes, it will be most likely at the same park in San Marcos on the river.....

patty

• mylubbock
    20 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the email settings. Newbies . . .

• wilo
    20 years ago

any idea WHEN this swap will take place? March? April? May? THIS WEEKEND??? man, am I ready to see some spring!!!

• sahaw
    20 years ago

this sounds intersting and i'd love to check out everyone's stuff ... i hope it happens wendy

• Carla
    20 years ago

Great to see that there is some interest in the Central Texas Swap. It will either be in late March or April. I have learned that May is too late/too hot to get plants in the ground before summer. The last couple of years we had the swap in Rio Vista Park in San Marcos, just west of IH 35 by the river (behind the softball fields). Everyone brings something to eat, and plants, seeds or other garden stuff to trade away. In the past we have taken donations for door prizes (garden related) and had a good time giving all those items away. Generally it begins around 9 or 10 and everyone is pooped out and ready to go home around 3:00. We will post more info when we settle on a Saturday.

Carla

• Patty_Texas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

We have reserved our regular park in San Marcos for April 24. Hope you can be there. Please write to me or see newest post about the swap for more information.

patty