Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kin2mice

Central Ohio Plant Swap 2014

kin2mice
10 years ago

Central Ohio Plant Swap 2014 (13th year!) - FREE!!
*Who: Gardeners of all ages (children must be accompanied by an adult at all times)
*What: Central Ohio Plant swap (and potluck lunch)
*Where: 3800 Veterans Memorial Drive, Hilliard, OH 43026 (Hilliard Municipal Park)
ASPEN shelter
*When: Saturday, May 17, 2014, 10am (RAIN OR SHINE!!!)
*Why: Because we gardeners can't waste good plants!
*How: By bringing plants/seedlings/garden ornaments/garden magazines/seeds/garden tools/bulbs/shrubs/trees etc. to swap/exchange with other gardeners after a potluck lunch
*Who is in charge: Rebecca (Mouse), Kim (daisymomto4) & Sarah (NuSkewl)

Feel free to let your gardening friends know about this fun informal event! PLEASE DO NOT link this announcement to any other websites (ie: Craigslist) without clearing it with Kim (daisymomto4), Sarah (NuSkewl), or Rebecca (Mouse). Any questions can be posted here (GardenWeb thread) or the Facebook group - Central Ohio Plant Swap.

Prior to the swap
*RSVP (optional, but helpful); if you do RSVP, say what potluck goodie you're bringing so not to duplicate foods
*Let others on GardenWeb/Facebook know what plants/seeds/items you intend to bring (optional)
*Arrange "private swaps" that happen the day of the Central OH plant swap (optional); We will have a private table set up for these swaps for your convenience. (See below for more details)
*Pot-up plants; think of what you'd be excited to receive at the swap and bring something like that. Every item, though, is considered equal value; ie: 1 little plant 3" high is equal in trade/swap to a big rose bush
*Clearly and neatly label every single plant you bring; include as much info about each plant as possible: name of plant, care (sun, part sun, shade), invasive or poisonous, flower color, etc
*Keep count of the number of plants/items you're bringing (will need total at sign-in the day of the swap)
*Consider donating a door prize; does not have to be gardening related (optional)
*Easily carried container (ie: crate/IKEA bag) to put your plants in during the swap round robin (optional)

Day of the swap
Arrival : 10a-12noon
*Arrive with an excited, happy, sharing heart!
*Drop-off potluck deliciousness (at picnic table potluck area) and labeled swap plants/items in the drop-off area (parking spaces right next to the shelter designated with signage), then park your car.
*Immediately put your plants/items amongst the appropriate category/group (sun, shade, veggies, ground cover, grasses, iris, bulbs, shrubs, etc). There are a few labeled wagons to use to do this, and hopefully, some helpers.
*Sign-in: name, how many plants/items you have brought to swap, and your email address (optional; so we can remind you when the swap's comin'-up), make a name tag (nickname/screen name optional)
*Put your name in door prize container (optional); drop-off any door prize donations (optional)
Make a monetary donation to help pay for the shelter (optional, but greatly appreciated - THANK YOU!!)
*Pick a "spot". Many bring blankets/chairs/tables to make a "spot" for themselves around the shelter so new acquisitions are all together in one place. (optional, but helpful)
*Once settled-in, please consider helping arriving "swappers" put their items into the appropriate category/group (optional, but a wonderful thing to do spread the plant swap love!)
*Start viewing plants, visit with other gardeners, help other gardeners if need be
*Pre-arranged "private swaps" can be dropped-off/collected at a table identified along the fence on the playground side of the shelter. "Private swap" goodies MUST BE CLEARLY LABELED: to whom, from whom and what the plant is.

Lunch ;announced around 12noon
Please bring your own re-useable plate/fork/spoon/knife/cup/water bottle/napkin; there will be disposable in case you forget. Gardeners are naturally green!

Swap time: around 1p
1 of the 3 ladies in charge of the swap will announce when it's time to start the actual swap is "round robin" style. There are usually enough plants to go through 4 rounds of the round robin.

1st round: pick 1 plant or item.
2nd round: pick 2 plants or items.
3rd round: pick 3 plants or items.
4th round: pick 4 plants or items.

Usually after the 4th round, everything's pretty well picked-over & there will be an announcement of "free-for-all". The orphaned plants want a new home. PLEASE TAKE THEM!!

Hope to see everyone there, newbies, "old timers" and everyone in between!

This post was edited by kin2mice on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 6:09

Comments (55)

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Let me know if this doesn't work but here's a list of what I have. Some have already been started, getting ready to start tomatoes and peppers next week. If you see something specific you want, TELL ME! There's no way I'll be able to do ALL the tomato varieties I have, for example, so let me know so I'm sure to include it in my starts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mjzzyzoff's Inventory

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi! Lawandisorder! If my thornless blackberry survived the freeze you are welcome to have it. I may also have two kinds of alpine strawberrys (white and red) to trade and if it suckered ( hit or miss) a red gooseberry. Also you and mjzzyoff should also post these lists on our Facebook page if possible. It seems to be getting a lot more action then here.

• nuskewl
    10 years ago

I'm looking for yellow raspberries & red raspberries; 4-6 of each. Would LOVE big fruit, but it's the sweetness that I'm really craving. Thorn-less is always a nice plus, but usually not so attainable.

lawnanddisorder, I MIGHT have a hardy bamboo link. You are looking to GROW the bamboo, right (not just use the bamboo once it's harvested)? Let me check w/my contact (sounds like spy work) & I'll get back w/you. If the bamboo does work-out, I'd LOVE a plum tree. The one you have on your list is good for prunes. What about just for eating? Good amount of flesh? Is it a dwarf as well?? Our sons - LOVE plums!!

Mouse, if lawnanddisorder passes on your thorn-less blackberry (& it survived), I'd happily give it a home here. :>

This post was edited by nuskewl on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 9:32

• alison
    9 years ago

Hard to believe this is only a month away!

It's been a rough spring for seedlings, so I'm not sure what I'll have ready to go. But I've already got some of the standbys ready to go -- yellow iris and red Jupiter's beard!

• Candy1966
    9 years ago

My garden is fairly young and I don't have a lot available for dividing yet. Can I still participate? I have a lot of space to fill on a tiny (translate: non-existent) budget. :)

Thanks!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Candy1966, the more the merrier! Please please come! After about rounds 4 or 5 there is a 'free for all' declared. During that time newbies and those with 'starter' gardens are encouraged to snag as many plants as they want. All of us gardeners are friendly so any questions you have we can usually come up with an answer or two. It's a great place to network and find new gardening friends! Hope to see you there!

• shadowgarden
    9 years ago

hi guys,

Four of us will come bringng salad, deviled eggs, fruit. I will bring glass.

I would like:
    ditch lilies
    Canada lilies
    Turks cap lilies
    toad lilies
    trout lilies or dog tooth violets
    red or white trilliums
    blackberry lilies
    Himalayan musk rambler rose (ROOTED ONLY)

Will make private trades for any of the above - glass flowers balls or mushrooms or paperweights. contact me if interested.

RFebecca

• alison
    9 years ago

Two weeks! I can't wait to see you all, and talk plants.

I've had a bit of a set back -- had a sewer line replaced in my back yard, and I underestimated how much digging they had to do. They basically obliterated the two 9' x 4' garden beds I've spent the last 4 years amending and tending.

I had moved a bunch of plants, but the rest simply got churned under. So I won't be bringing as much as usual!

I will be bringing yellow iris, red Jupiter's Beard, some succulents and (of course!) some terrariums. PLus the pulled pork and some kind of pie.

I'd like to get some sweet woodruff and variegated Solomon's Seal, and I'm always interested in low growing sunlovers. (non-invasive preferred!)

Looking forward to seeing you all!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alison, I have variegated Solomons seal if you'd like. Shoot me a pm on Facebook if you can to remind me. See you there!

• alison
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mouse! Will do.

Potting up some odds and ends from the garden at work; a few nice blue salvia, some catmint, some small echinacea. Also have a pair of lovely ponytail palms.

I also have two unknown cacti that have outgrown their home - any interest?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Alison, I can give you sweet woodruff; if I don't make it to the swap can always drop it off at your work (we have traded before, still have your yellow iris!)

I may have lysimachia ciliate (fringed loosestrife, NOT the invasive purple loosestrife), heuchera, creeping veronica, maybe a mini rose or two, a blueberry, red-twig dogwood, one or two other things.

Lawandisorder, is that list things you have? I have a dwarf macintosh that I would trade for the Pixie Crunch (rabbits killed my P.C. this winter).or a plum (are they dwarf?) I may have another apple too, have to check my tags not sure what I gave away last fall!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rare, is there anything you would like for the blueberry? I lost one of my pair this winter. If you can't make it to the swap we can meet up some other time. Just let me know! Thanks!

9 years ago

KIn2mice, I have wanted alpine strawberry for a while! I am building a new strawberry planter out of a papasan chair next week. I can't tell you for sure what variety of blueberry it is, my tags always seem to go walkabout from those pots.

I will also have columbines and a fennel.

• frogtalk358
    9 years ago

Looking forward to the swap. I'm probably bringing my neighbor Diana who's come to the last 2 swaps and maybe another friend. I'm bringing deviled egg to the potluck.

Shadowgarden, if you're haven't made a trade for toad lilies, I'd love to swap for one of your glass mushrooms. My toad lily was so slow to emerge this spring I was wondering if it was ever going to show up.

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alison I will gladly take your over grown cacti! I think it is my new addiction!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Raee, I will double check my alpines. They got hit hard this winter and are slow in coming back. I may have a small white one or I have one salmonberry bush start left if you would like that instead. Other wise I have ostrich fern, horsetail, three kinds of violets, day lilies, hardy cactus, tons of different sedums, a few semperviums ( hens & chicks), various indoor succulents, sacred white sage (small but very healthy starts). Or just ask and I might have it. Lol my garden is sorta eclectic.

• sunburygirl
    9 years ago

I believe that Karen, Jodye, Ken and myself will be coming. My tomato seedings look pretty small, but the heritage varieties are super (if they live!). I'm not sure what we're bringing in the food department. Will try to update when I get info. Nancy

• nuskewl
    9 years ago

lawanddisorder
    ---my bamboo lead - led to nothing. :Hoping to pot-up this week:
    -hot pink asters
    -light purple asters (I THINK they're light purple)
    -liriope
    -sundrops
    -tiny red Japanese maple
    -

As of right-this-minute, I'm bringing:
    - crib sides x 3 (each is a set of 2) - to be used as a trellis or garden gate? (2 white, 1 redish-brown)
    -bundled terra cotta pots (sets of 4 or 5; all NOT cracked)
    -bagged terra cotta pots (broken pieces/shards for drainage in UNCRACKED terra cotta pots)
    -bundle of magazines - Better Homes & Gardens, Martha Stewart, Simple something
    -mostly full bottle of crab grass killer
    -pots (some appropriate for indoor use [no drainage holes])
    -"window box" like plastic pots x 3 (sets of 2)
    -yellow hose x 2 (not sure if they leak, didn't test)
    -&.... some other stuff, but I have to go make a list. It's time for lunch, so I'll do that after I eat

Not sure what I'm bringing for lunch; probably some fruit.

If anyone can fit a wagon in their car to use/share to transport plants to the swap area (from the drop-off area), please bring it. It's truly appreciated!!

Also..., remember to bring a large tote, crate or box to put your "picks" into during the swap. I bring a big IKEA bag & it works perfectly. I can put most (not really big things) right into the bag & move on to find my next pick.

This post was edited by nuskewl on Sun, May 11, 14 at 13:36

• tinapor
    9 years ago

Hi, Ladies,

I and two other old hands of the Plant Swap will be there this Sat. with an SUV full of assorted treasures. We plan to bring a big bowl of sweet/sour cole slaw which has been a big hit in years past. Looking forward to this annual swap!

• alison
    9 years ago

Whee -- thanks for the offer of woodruff, raee -- I salavaged only a few small clumps form the sewer guys and I'd love to see that bed bounce back!

The cacti is your, Mouse! Trade you for the variegated solomon's seal!

Made some lovely rhubarb pie this weekend from rhubarb I had *just* cut in the front yard -- felt so decadent!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Less then a week to go!!! I think this will be a record attendance year!

• keets
    9 years ago

Winter hit us hard up here, I lost a lot of potted plants. I have Blue Monday hosta,
    toad lilies
    heirloom tomatoes
    Dr Wyche's Yellow 1 lb fruit
    Pink Honey
    Sub-Arctic Plenty, earliest,2 oz. red fruit
    Emerald Evergreem. green mid/large fruit
    Green Vernissage, small fruit
    Pink Vernissage, 2oz fruit, pink with green stripes
    all non-gmo heirloom seeds
    I just have about 10 of these
    I have lots of different sweet peppers but they are very small so I am not going to bring them. 3inch plants
    kale plants also non-gmo small compact plants Blue Curled Scotch
    I am going to pot up a fan of Orchid Elegance for a door prize
    lots of columbine if anyone needs any

• keets
    9 years ago

ShadowGarden, I have a lot of toad lilies I could bring and a few black berry lilies. also lots of violet freckles
    I would love to have some of your mushrooms
    email me if interested: keetssix@neo.rr.com

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alison, I have small small glass bottles perfect for terrariums. If you would like them for the pony tail they are yours.

Shadow garden, I sent you an email about ditch lilies.

• shadowgarden
    9 years ago

Mouse,

did not get email but will gladly trade glass for ditch lilies.

See you soon.

Rebecca

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm I sent it via gardenweb wonder if they have your email wrong. How many bags of ditchlily do you want? Mum has 12 grocery bags full. Also did you see meets posting?

• keets
    9 years ago

Stephanie, could you email me.
    keetssix@neo.rr.com Thanks

• alison
    9 years ago

Mouse -- I'll set aside at least one of the ponytails for you, along with a cactus!

My plants are very much a grab bag of what's survived the winter. I've got a bunch of little salvias potted up, a mess of yellow iris, some top-setting or "walking" onions, a little pineapple mint, white and red Jupiter's beard, some catmint, succulents in cut glass and at least one terrarium, some orphaned cacti in large pots, pulled pork (cooking tmorrow) and probably brownies.

Still potting up, still prowling the gardens -- looking forward to seeing you all!

• alison
    9 years ago

Oh, lemon balm, too!

• shadowgarden
    9 years ago

Mouse,

I would like 2 bags if that is not too greedy. You know I have a long drive to plant them by.

Thanks

Yes, I talked to keets frog, and rosie I think, do not have list here and my memory is gone

Rebecca

• steph98
    9 years ago

Rebecca, are you stil looking for more ditch lilies? If siO, I have some that have a double flowers. Do you, by chance have any moRe of your awesome glass pumpkins?!
    See you soon!

• mjzzyzoff
    9 years ago

Rebecca, I have trout lilies!

• shadowgarden
    9 years ago

stepj98,

I don't need ditch lilies but I would like an interesting fern or two. I have Japanese painted ferns and native ferns. So if you pick one or two others that would work. Alas no pumpkins but balls, witches balls, flowers and mushrooms.
    Some of the balls are floaters and should work in ponds.
    I'll put you on my list for a fern OK?

Rebecca

9 years ago

Well, I scavenged through the garden and found a few more things--
    daylily 'Kwanso',
    heuchera,
    euonymus 'emerald & gold',
    native honeysuckle,
    'Shailer's Provence' rose,
    ornamental grass (white/green striped),
    bronze fennel,
    native sunflower,
    Kerria ,
    sedum,
    a viburnum,
    several groundcovers (golden creeping jenny, variegated vinca, and bishopweed, unknown fern, and pulmonaria)

Now the trick is to get them labeled, come up with something to contribute to the potluck, and actually get there!

• steph98
    9 years ago

Rebecca, I don't have any ferns. So sorry! See u tomorrow.

• mjzzyzoff
    9 years ago

So plans changed and I am bringing chocolate cupcakes and also hummus with something to dip in it. Soooo excited, soooo not ready! I'll be up labeling into the wee hours!

• storygardener
    9 years ago

Wow!!l What a wonderful time at the swap. We went from windy cold to rainy to muddy - and still it was wonderful, We are tough folks - we are gardeners!! I had a great time. I loved seeing long time friends, getting some great new plants, eating terrific food and feeling like it's a special gathering, indeed. And - this year I got to pick out plants. YAY!!!! Thanks to Mouse, Kim & Sarah for all their hard work and efforts to make this a good day. Great idea to have helpers, too. Carry on.

9 years ago

The food was awesome! I am thrilled with the items I got -- the alpine strawberry, sacred sage, polygonatum, Japanese iris, veggies that I didn't get around to starting myself, . So what if my shoes are wrecked! Thanks again to Rebecca, Kim and Sarah (and all your helpers!)

• frogtalk358
    9 years ago

Another great swap. Big thanks to our fabulous hosts, Mouse, Sarah and Kim, and their hardworking assistants. So much good company, delicious food and of course -- plants! Thanks to all for bringing such wonderful things to share and giving new homes to the plants I had too many of.

• frogtalk358
    9 years ago

Another great swap. Big thanks to our fabulous hosts, Mouse, Sarah and Kim, and their hardworking assistants. So much good company, delicious food and of course -- plants! Thanks to all for bringing such wonderful things to share and giving new homes to the plants I had too many of.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

My first swap and I had a wonderful time! Met up with an online friend Jeanette (rosies) whom I really enjoyed meeting and getting to play in the mud again was fun too. lol Thanks to our hosts Kim, Mouse and Sara it was a great day despite the rain. Thanks to everyone there for sharing their plants and food. Yum.

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for coming to the swap! We proved that gardeners truly are a hardy group of folk! (Pun intended). The food was great, the plants amazing but best of all was all the wonderful generous people! Please let us know your thoughts on this years swap and give us suggestions for the future. With out all of you the swap couldn't happen. If anyone wishes to get directly in touch with me please use the Gardenweb email link. If you include your email in the message I'll respond using that.

• alison
    9 years ago

I think that was the coldest and wettest swap I've ever attended -- but it was as much fun as any I've been to!

Big ups to the organizers -- excellent job! I think the "side trades" table was particularly inspired -- it saved a lot of time running around looking for a lot of people you'd never actually met, while still giving you the *option* of running around and looking for people if you wanted to!

Wonderful plants, wonderful people, and would whoever made that lovely red apple dish give me the recipe? If you didn't get any, they were thick apple rings, maybe 1/2 or so; bright red, and sweet. But not sticky, syrupy sweet, just straight up apple taste. I thought they were going to be the standard 'apples in syrup with cinnamon red hots' but they were fantastic!

Thanks all for a lovely time - now, who's going to plant these things for me?

• alison
    9 years ago

Apparently I was wrong -- that wonderful dish wasn't apples at all, but cucumbers! Now I *really* need the recipe....

9 years ago

Ooh, I want it too! thought it was great ( your pork was too, Alison). I wonder if the recipe is something like watermelon pickles?

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeannette Pendleton made the red cucumbers she posted the recipe on the Facebook group page. It is a lot of hard work but soooooo worth it!

9 years ago

If anyone is still checking this thread.....I got an herb-y plant at the swap & have lost the tag. It looks really like a green coleus, but I think it was a culinary herb?

If anyone can tell me what it is, I would appreciate it. It is thriving but I don't know what to do with it!

• kin2mice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm does it have a smell when you crush it? There was some basil that sounds a bit like what you have. Also does it have a square stem? Can you post a picture?

• alison
    9 years ago

My guess would be shiso -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiso --

in which case, start here and work your way thru -- all good!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=shiso+recipes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

I also picked up an Asian mustard plant at the swap that promptly bolted -- can't tell you much about that one excpt that it looks like a mustard plant!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shiso - the delicisious littl plant that could

9 years ago

Shiso it is! thank you both. The picture in the link you gave, Alison, doesn't quite look like it but when I googled images of shiso, there were several that were dead ringers.

I found a recipe for shiso pesto -- think I will try that first, or use some leaves next time I have sushi.

Yeah, my dill and arugula have bolted although I am still laboring to keep some of that arugula pinched back (a daily task) -- I love it soo much!

KIn2mice, the sage and the strawberry are doing well!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area