Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- Saturday, May 22, 2010

storygardener
14 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (aka Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, (aka Princess Mimi)and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 22, 2010. It's our ninth year, I think!

MARK YOUR CALENDAR & TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 22, 2010

Time: 10:00 am

Place: Shelter A (formally called #5), Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. Same place as previous spring swaps. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, trees, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE (shade, sun, etc) THEY REQUIRE! Also, mark any plants as invasive or poisonous, if known)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving utensils & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cups. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name. I can tell you...gardeners are WONDERFUL cooks!!

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Over the years we have had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. PLEASE COME WITH A HAPPY AND SHARING HEART. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get a name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

This plant swap is free...but, if anyone wants to donate a dollar that day to help defray the cost of the shelter, paper products, etc. - that would be helpful.

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.

Round One - pick one plant

Next Round - pick one plant

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick three plants

And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. **Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring. **

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair or blanket for sitting (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outer belt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetery Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care & Sunshine Academy. Shelter A is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's play area.

We hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! We are contacting some of our gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Good gardening...

...Beverly & Mimi

Comments (151)

• cmhdude1
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mimi and Beverly,

I attended a few years ago and would like to attend this year. I will be bringing 10 plants, if you would let me know you received this it would be great. CMHDUDE1@aol.com

Thanks,

Alan Thompson

• favoriteflower
    13 years ago

Hi, I would like to attend, is it too late to rsvp? Thank, Keri

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Alan and Favoriteflower - it's never too late to rsvp! You are quite welcome to attend.

See you Saturday!

Beverly

• diggerb2
    13 years ago

hi, i'm bring guacamole and chips(to eat)
    i have to get out side and dig stuff up tomorrow.
    diggerb
    by the way someone named violet responded on a separate post just above this one. i told her that she and her crew of five wee welcome to be there. I'm leaving cuyahoga falls about 6:30 and plan to show up about 9-9:30 to help set up

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

Well, I finally got some plants dug and potted. They should be happy by Saturday.

Beverly and I talked yesterday and are amazed. This is our NINTH plant swap!!!! We kind of have this down to a science. Nonetheless, things sure have changed. We still use Bev's format. The numbers and door prizes have gotten better. The shelter is more expensive. The folks are still GREAT! We appreciate everyone who helps us to keep things moving on swap day.

I'm telling on Beverly now. She needs to stay off her foot as much as possible so. You see her up and doing please, take what ever she is doing from her and do it or give it to me or my son, Isaac to do. I know how hard it is to sit and watch when you don't feel particularly bad (bed rest with boy #5) but you just gotta!

Looking forward to seeing old faces and making new friends! See you Saturday!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Digger - it's great you can get there early to help set up. We appreciate it! Thanks so much.

Yes, I have to be 'kind' to my foot - phooey!

Beverly

• xaroleht
    13 years ago

Steph, Did we ever get you a ghost fern or maidenhair fern? We have thing potted up for the kids. Won't have as many trades this year as in the past but will have some. We are coming more for the fellowship anyway.

• steph98
    13 years ago

Michelle,
    You gave us some Maidenhair fern last year (and it is doing quite nicely!) We don't have ghost fern.
    Can't wait to see you and the kids and everyone else.
    We're planning to bring our corn salad again and hopefully this time it'll make it to the eating part!
    Stephanie

• katiemw
    13 years ago

I am planning on attending! No tagalongs this year.

I'm really hoping it will quit raining by then! Will we still be able to get together if it's still raining?

Thanks, Katie

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Katie...glad you are coming!

Yes...we swap rain or shine. In fact, three out of the last eight swaps over the years were in the rain. We do have the shelter for the potluck etc. Of course, the plants will be out on the grass - so bring your raincoat or hoodie.

See you tomorrow!

Beverly

• alison
    13 years ago

Remember -- rain is great for the garden! (And it makes my hair curl quite attractively....)

Still not sure what I'm bringing for food, but that's an issue for after work.

I'm bringing a couple of pots of resurection lilies, which aren't looking their best in the late spring. But I swear they're not dead!

I'm also bringing some plants for my friend Terri, include a runner from a great plant she got some years back at the fall swap possibly -- but neither of us know what it is.

Ring any bells?
    {{gwi:816059}}

• xaroleht
    13 years ago

Thanks Steph...we will have a ghost fern for you. We will still have at least one for the swap and a couple of maidenhair ferns for the swap. Hostas: June, Crusader, Allen P Mc Connell, seedlings( no name). Some Lamium, assorted veggies, Oh and someone was looking for a sassafras and we are bringing one of them. I think that is about everything. Blondies are made, rice crispie treats will be made tonight or in the morning, and we will also be bringing coleslaw. Oh and we have a couple of things for the door prizes. Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow and we will miss those who can't be there. Rain or Shine. TTFN

• xaroleht
    13 years ago

oh we also have Hosta: Amy Elizabeth and Noah's Arc...of the lamiums there are white Nancy, gold nuggets, and the regular pink flowering...

• sproutlinda
    13 years ago

Looks like virginia knotweed.

• dawncols
    13 years ago

I hope to be there tomorrow with two guests.

If I don't make it, I'll have to send my stuff without me. We'll be contributing some rose of sharon, perhaps a black raspberry and perhaps tomatoes, and I'm not sure what else. My domain is vegetables, and my spouse has final say over any ornamentals, but I will put in a word for some sedum.

Would *love* to have some more pink bleeding hearts.

I look forward to seeing everyone (I hope).

Dawn

• gardengirl_17
    13 years ago

Anyone still up and on the board? Just sitting here making tags for my plants and looking over the list of who is coming tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing familiar faces but sad to hear that Granny and Ron & Betty won't make it. Betty, if you're on here I would like to get your email address and maybe we can arrange some special trades. I would love to trade you more daylilies for Hostas. I have over 400 daylilies at this point and I have enough shade now to add more hostas! :)

Tomorrow I am bringing:
    Prairie Dropseed - grass
    Carex 'Ice Dance'
    Yellow foxglove
    Geranium 'Hampshire Purple'
    Columbine (pink or purple)
    Coreopsis lancelota
    Itea 'Henry's Garnet'
    Lavender
    Peony - light pink
    Helianthus maximilliani (false sunflower)
    Chamaecyparis pisifera ' Golden Sands'
    Coneflower (white I think)

I should have started digging earlier and I'd have more. Oh well.... See you all tomorrow!

• alison
    13 years ago

Just stopped in at work on my way home, to drop off plants for the garden here.

Big thanks as always to Mimi and Bev -- you did it again!

It was wonderful to spend time with my friends Leone and Fred and K and Elizabeth -- and all the friends I only see once a year!

Great food, great plants, great compnay -- a wonderful afternoon!

(Now I think I'll take a nap....)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - swap/potluck # 9 was so much fun! Once again - folks brought wonderful plants, some of the tastiest food ever and a kind generosity of spirit. I think gardeners are some of the best folks ever! Thanks to everyone for participating and helping.

What a pleasure to see my swap friends year after year. I've seeing families grow and change. We had lots of newbies this year too.

Now for some statistics. These are approximate:
    approx. 130 people
    approx. 2359 plants for trading

Thanks to every one that brought a door prize too.

A couple things were left behind. A nice green and white umbrella and a purple jacket. If you know who these might belong to, please let me know.

Enjoy your plants and goodies you've acquired today! Good gardening.

Beverly

• strmywthr3
    13 years ago

had so much fun today! lots of great people, food and plants!! came home exhausted!

can't wait for next year!

Barbi

Here is a link that might be useful: Barbi's pics

• chemicalrxn5
    13 years ago

okay, i had to be the party pooper, but i have some real problems with how this swap went down (and i won't be attending another)
    as nice as the "honor system" is, it's not very honorable when a family shows up (mom, dad, kids) and every one of them gets to go each round, that simply isn't very fair to those of us who live alone (perhaps i should have brought a dozen friends?), by the time round three hits most everything "uncommon" is gone. i'm sure i wasn't the only person perturbed by this, i overheard a couple saying how unfair they thought it was also, when you have a mom telling her kids which plants to grab....or a 2yr old being entered in the raffle was a little ludicrous. nor is it honorable when someone takes the time and (somewhat considerable, for me) money to buy soil and pot up their 152 plants and leaves with 31 (now i didn't expect to walk away with one for every one i brought, but i was hoping to get half of what i brought, which seemed fair to me considering mine were on the smallish side).i'm sure quite a few of the ones i brought home won't even live to tomorrow, some were completely dry, obviously dug and thrown into a pot with mix and never watered, some had broken taproots...it boggles the mind, i left over 3 dozen plants at home because i wasn't happy with how they looked, and only took those i was positive would do well (hell i even inoculated all my plants with bacterial cultures and mycorrhizae meant for transplants!!). (my mom also arrived with 52 plants and i know she didn't leave with anywhere near that many) and it's not that OUR plants were left, i would have brought them home, there were only 8 of mine remaining before i left and none of the ones my mom brought. toward the end i was taking anything that looked like no one else wanted it, after all i have plenty of space for everything. i looked forward to this swap for months, i only got 2 hours of sleep before going because i was so excited (like a kid before xmas) and because i was meticulously doing my labels (which most of the plants i got were either totally missing labels, mislabeled and/or didn't have soil/light requirements). i realise this is just an informal social kind of swap, but it left one hell of a sour taste in my mouth.
    on a positive note, everyone i had direct contact with was absolutely wonderful, and i truly enjoyed meeting everyone i got to meet, but i spent many many MANY hours digging up plants, potting them, double checking taxonomy and height, light and soil requirements, etc....and just don't think doing this again next year is worth all of that if it's just going to be the same all over again.
    ...and for anyone who picked the mints i brought (or any others) if you're concerned about them taking over your beds, (and didn't hear me say this at the swap), just take a 5 gallon plastic bucket, cut off the bottom and sink it in the ground leaving 3" above the soil, mint will not send runners more than 8inches below the surface. just make sure and check for any sneaking over the top of the container (i used to hide the lip with mulch, just pull it aside every few weeks and pull up any runners), depending on the mint, you may have to thin it out (it gets root bound) once every year or two. also remember that it's basically a potted plant, you need to make sure it has water lol.
    i kept mints contained this way without any problems for more than ten years, some of the buckets are still in the ground and in good shape (20 years after they were put in) so it's a relatively cheap and nice way to keep mints in your garden (plus they look really nice all perfectly round).
    so stop being afraid of mint! tame it and love it for the wonderfully easy (and wonderful smelling) plant it is

• gardengirl_17
    13 years ago

Well, I had a fantastic time! I enjoy seeing the people and eating the food as much as I do picking plants these days. LOL! I picked up a few treasures for my yard and I was happy to see that the lovelies I brought went to good homes. I look forward to seeing everyone next year. Don't change a thing.

• shadowgarden
    13 years ago

I had a great time. Thanks for all the hard work. Yes I brought more numerically than I brought home but that was by choice. I was happy to see everyone liking my glass. The way I figure every thing I get means I have to dig another hole so I try to control myself. I got some things I really wanted though!

• steph98
    13 years ago

Thanks Bev and Mimi. Another job well done. Had a great time. As usual the people were great, as was the food. I got a ton of new hostas and am excited to find new homes for them all.
    I'll try to contain my tongue relating to other comments, and say only that I enthusiastically encourage my kids to be gardeners and if that means they get to win a door prize (which, my son won a pad of paper- don't get me wrong, he was thrilled with it) or get to pick out my next round plant for me (ie in place of me making the pick), so be it.
    Thanks again Michelle and James (and kids!), to the Linda's (Hostalavista and Sproutlinda), to diggerb2 and Jeanne.
    Can't wait to get everything into the ground.
    Thanks again!

• chemicalrxn5
    13 years ago

there isn't a need to "hold your tongue" steph98, i'm not referring to people letting their kids pick out something during a round, but there was a family of four that had both children (under mom's direction) and mother and father picking out both first and second rounds. i'm sorry if it bothers you i'm upset, but i was under the impression (since it say **Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring. ** above in the description) that bringing 152 plants would mean leaving with 152 plants (and again, i was only hoping for half that, but 31?) i don't think it is unreasonable for me to be disappointed and voice my concerns about the system, i mean i realise it must be working out great for a lot of people who walked away with a lot more than they came with, but for someone like me, who is an avid and passionate gardener and completely unable to get plants any other way right now, it's a big disappointment. edge of tears disappointment.

• hostalavista
    13 years ago

What a great day, NO rain, while the swap was going on.
    I was laying in bed trying to sleep but
    'Visions of Plants were dancing in my head!' ha ha
    Enjoyed talking to everyone, didn't get to talk to you Chemical, sorry you didn't like the swap, it is allot of work doing the potting. But I don't want to throw stones I'm sure I do things people don't like so that is all I have to say.!
    Beverly and MiMi work very hard getting this together every year, as do their husbands and many others.
    Got some good plants, very good food, ment onedaylily at the very end, saw she was carrying away what was left of her Orzo salad, told her I really liked it and mentioned we could start a recipe club, with all the good food. We are the meat and potato kind of people so it's nice to enjoy the food that is so different that ours from home.
    Thank you to Trish a whole bunch,
    Steph always like trading with you,
    Linda(sprout) I know I'm gonna love the Lime Zinger, and hosta you brought for me,
    Stormyweather, nice last minute trade
    Alison, last minute trade with you was great and I was eaves dropping on your conversation about the chocolate mint in the sugar and coffee, I need more of your suggestions, my sisters are good at that and have told me about lavender and basil teas.
    Michelle & James for helping me out on a trade, then finding out it was one of my original plants!!,
    Jeanne, you did so much work picking out sedums for me, I am flabbergasted! You worked hard on those..Your the best!
    Got a few tomatoes that were different than the ones I had started at home, had to get Clint Eastwood for my husband!
    I think I have heartburn from eating so much, loved that guacamole, thanks diggerb.
    loved alot of the food as well as friends, new friends and the plants!
    Talked to Fenni (?spelling) and Momma from Texas on the way out, nice meeting you and give a holler. Most people won't be on here too much longer, they will be going back to the other forums. You give us a holler too, onedaylily!
    Hostalavista Babee, Linda

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to hear so many folks enjoyed the swap.

Chemicalrxn - I can hear the frustration in your post. Over the years Mimi and I have addressed so many different things.

Yes, absolutely - if you bring 152 plants you are entitled to take home 152 plants. Most folks that bring that many plants don't usually take home that many - but, they can.

Years ago Mimi and I asked many swap people if they thought we should only let one person from a family do the picking or all people from the family do the picking of plants. Every single person we asked (these were mostly folks with no children)- said part of the fun is getting to pick. Let everyone pick, it was unanimus.

We would hope that parents aren't telling their children which plant they should pick. I don't see that happeninning too often - but, I know it does happen once in a while. I will mention this approach next year. That when children pick, it should be what they want - not what their parent's tell them.

We do, however, want the children to have fun at the swap and encourage them getting into the healthy hobby of gardening.

All this being said.... I've said this often...

Mimi and I are not the plant police. Everything is done on the honor system. We can say to folks, this is how it works and hope that they do it as intended. Do folks follow the rules? Mostly yes...but, sadly - not everyone does. I know that some people take more than they bring. I am aware that people even take from other folk's stashes of plants to take home. Why - over the years people have stolen/taken Mimi's and my hostess gifts we have received from other gardeners. We had them taken from under the sign in table - (we now get them to the cars right away) Shame on people who steal or are greedy at swaps. But, as I said before - Mimi and I are not the plant police.

For the very most part - it works well and people have a good time and get oodles of new plants and have a great time.

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

I had a great time and was so glad to see all of the old veterans and make so many new friends.

I am appalled that anyone has the gall to complain about anything. I heard very little complaining but Beverly was an easy target so she got an ear full yesterday. Then we have rants about it here. Shame on all of the complainers!! Beverly is one of the kindest, fairest and loveliest ladies I know. If you want to gripe to someone come find me! If you didn't come in a spirit of nurturing and giving you needed to stay home.

Now, as far as family members go... I know that my son Isaac and his friend August dug and potted their own plants to bring. They will plant and nurture them too. Both of those kids came early and worked to help with organizing and aiding swappers. My husband picked tomatoes for his garden. I dig and pot flowers for him as well as myself. My other sons came to have lunch and play. The younger ones helped Lee to make our pot luck contribution, load and unload our van as well as clean up after the swap. My whole family participates in some way. Murray, Beverly's husband digs, pots, hauls, sets up and cleans up. I know that other families do the same.

As far as not getting anything uncommon...whining is not an attractive trait in children let alone adults. I was announcing the door prizes not hovering over my favorite, 2nd or even 3rd choice plant. I didn't get any of them. Did I raise a fuss. NO! The kind person who did get my first choice offered me a chunk of it after the swap was over. She didn't have to do that. Thanks to her for her kindness and generosity. That is what our swap is about.

Complaining about not getting as many and the quality of plants you brought is like complaining about not getting enough to eat at the pot luck table. Some folks spend hours making a huge amount of food, some stop at the store on the way there and pick up a package of cookies. Everyone still got enough to eat. There was left over food as well as left over plants. That's the nature of our swap.

If folks wanted a rare or specific plant they made arrangements before the swap privately. They don't need to know each other. Scroll up and you'll see how it's done.

Beverly and I work hard and spend a lot of time to have this event. We do it because we love people and gardening. We know that it's not perfect but that's not our expectation. If you want perfection you may put on your own swap. Good luck!

All that Beverly and I can do is tell folks how we do things. It is impossible to enforce anything. We make it clear that we are not the plant police. There are greedy, selfish, dishonest and entitled people who come. They are mostly a tiny percentage. We put up with them so that we can fellowship with the generous, kind, nurturing, fun loving folks. We refuse to make our day into a day of dealing with the whiners problems. If that's what Beverly has to put up with because she is easier to find than I am what's the point? I usually feel good after a swap. Now I am sad, hurt and angry. That's not very motivating.

Now that I've had my say, I'm sure that I'll get over it and put my focus on my friends, old and new, that are appreciative, understanding and kind. Thanks to all of you who came and made our swap a success.

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ya know folks.... I guess we can't be the perfect swap for every person. I got another upset email from Chemicalrxn. It's suppose to be fun. Most folks love the swap. Mimi and I (and our husbands) take the time and great effort each year to do something special - never to have people leaving thinking it's horrible.

If, per chance, this doesn't work for you. I wish you well in finding in finding a swap that does. There are so many different kinds of swaps.

I've been to many swaps over the last 20 the years - very rigid check in ones counting plants and check out counting plants (the popcycle stick method), the run and grab as many as you can because it's 3pm and swap begins now, dropping plants off at a nature center and picking out a few to take home, 10 folks in a parking lot going from trunk to trunk sharing their extras, small gatherings of 6 in someones back yard and more. As in all things in life...'one size doesn't fit all.

I don't think we ever promised folks that they would go home with 5 rare plants. (usually, those are done in the side trades between people) I as I stated above - the round robin method usually allows folks to get a few of their top picks. Folks bring their extras and go home with some new plants. The whole thing started because we wanted to share some of our extras instead of composting them.

To folks out there that are very very upset with our plant swap. Our intention is one of sharing - never anything else. Yes, I wish you well in finding a great swap that meets your needs and purposes.

Good gardening to you all.

• diggerb2
    13 years ago

well i was another great swap. when i tell people that i do this most thing i'm crazy to dive 150 miles to columbus for free plants, but its so much more thatn that: i know that murray comes for the food for sure-- but i think a lot of the rest of us do that for sure too; also its a day to meet people who you chat with all year long, make a new freind or put a face to a forum name; everyone can chat about their gardens and their lives: Its hard to believe that mimi & lee's kids are becoming teenagers; and the progress that our plants have made-- funny how few stella d'oro day lilies we see now-a-days.

Bev and mimi aren't the plant police. i've always tried to lable my plants, include sun requirements, flower info, habit and my contact info. this year i barely had time to dig plants and i labled at the swap. but i only brought 10 plants. i did arrange a couple of private trades before hand. i promised a friend a chocolate mint if there were any so that was my 1st pick: i lost out on yellow foxglove, wood tobacco, yellow mums. oh well next year i'll try again.

thanks kin2mice for my ferns-- they'll look great in the back yard. same to steph for my mayapple. with these and the eurpoean ginger, jack in the pulpits soloman's seals and trilliums i have-- my native area should look good.

one day lily: could you post the orzo salad recipe for us? i saw the pasta, red pepper and scallions, other than soy sauce and toasted sesame oil what else was there? tasted great, i liked that it wasn't sticky/dry or soupy/oily.

Hostalvista:

10 avocados(ripe) mashed
    5 roma tomatos (about a pound)diced
    1 large sweet(vidalia)onion diced
    1 large jalapeno(minced-- seeds and all)
    2-3 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1-2 teaspoons ground garlic
    2 teaspoons gound cumin-- maybe a bit more
    juice of 2 large lemons or 4 limes

optional for garnish
    cilantro(if you like the taste of dish soap)
    parsley(if you want a fresh green taste)
    chopped green onions(if you want a bit more onion taste)

lots of chips and friends to help you eat it.

but no reason why you couldn't freeze it other than the onions and tomatoes getting a bit mushy.

i'm trying to get my pictures to post but i may have to put them on photo bucket

thanks again bev and mimi

digger

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

Beverly is gracious as always. She's right too. I just don't take kindly to anyone picking on my dear friends.

Well, I've regained my sense of humor. Lee put it very well. He said that the beauty of our swap is that the greedy, nasty, entitled people don't like it and don't come back. The great, generous, fun people love it and keep coming back. Don't you wish that all of life worked like that?

Thanks again for all of the great folks who made this a lovely swap. See you next year. It's the big 10!!!

~~Mimi

• shadowgarden
    13 years ago

OOPS! It's my purple jacket. If you could email me your address I'll let you know next time I'm in town so I can pick it up. Thanks. We live South of Zanesville now so I don't really want to make a special trip. Thanks.

Rebecca

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

I'm whining big time. I'm so sad I missed out on the fun. I enjoy potting my extra plants and seeing the joy other gardeners have when they imagine them in their garden. I try every year to bring a good door prize because I enjoy participating in the drawing but even more, I enjoy seeing others try to make the perfect choice. I love seeing children pick the plants when they are full of enthusiasm. I even enjoy when my husband comes to me and asks if the plant he wants for our garden will fit in with my vision and I explain why it will or won't work for us. Most of all we missed the chance to visit with others who are filled with the same passion for growing things and don't think we're a bit crazy for the time we spend on our favorite hobby.

Hopefully next year our schedule will allow us to attend the plant swap.

• smitties
    13 years ago

After attending the smaller swap in Grove City last fall with my daughter in law, she was hooked. We were told about this swap at the time. When she saw the post, she immediately rsvp'd and invited her mother to come as well. I had to laugh at her excitement because I hadn't even thought to check for a post yet. After all, it was February.

We all arrived on Saturday with our plants and door prizes and we amazed at all the wonderful plants and the great set up. My DIL's mother talked about the great time she had all day. She was amazed at the fact that so many people came together to share food and plants and just enjoy the day even though many had never met.

Thank you to all who arranged and set up this wonderful event. We had a wonderful time and came home with several new favorites.

I was wondering if anyone here brought the patties that were in the one crock pot. The appeared to be spinach and were wonderful. If you happen to read this, could you please post or send me the recipe. I would love to have it as would my dil.

Thanks again to all who made this possible. We'll be back next year. Smitties

• Margie Crawford
    13 years ago

Beverly & Mimi, thanks so much for hosting the swap. This was our first swap and Walter and I had a wonderful time - great people, food & plants.

Hostalavista & diggerB, glad you enjoyed the orzo salad. Here's the recipe:

Salad:
    1 1/2 cups orzo
    1 Tbls dark sesame oil
    1 cup chopped red bell peppers
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    3 scallions thinly sliced on diagonal
    (you can add other vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, baby corn, etc.)

Dressing:
    3 Tbls rice vinegar
    3 Tbls soy sauce
    1/2 tsp chinese chili paste (use 1 tsp if you like heat)
    1 Tbls grated fresh ginger root
    1 garlic clove, minced
    salt & pepper to taste

To prepare:
    Cook orzo in boiling water until al dente
    Drain orzo in colander and rinse with cold water. Put orzo in a bowl and mix with sesame oil. Add vegetables and dressing to orzo. Toss to coat everything evenly with the dressing and serve.

Enjoy!

Onedaylily (Margie)

• hostalavista
    13 years ago

Well, Well, Well!
    I don't even know what to say now! But here goes! ha.
    Mimi, I felt the same as you, sad about the swap. I mean after reading the negative comment.

Wondering if I will come back, but I then, would miss all the new friends, but especially the friends that I have shared gardening talks and ideas with over the 9 years...
    So of course I WILL be back!
    So will my daughter and friend.

I personally didn't stand at any of the plants to get a first pick. I just wandered around and picked what looked interesting. The plants that I wanted were planned trades, thank you for my personal trades, I love them and will take great care of them.
    I did get a couple from the regular swap that I didn't have, one was a yarrow, named Pretty Belinda, picked it up at first because it was a yarrow and then noticed it said belinda and that sealed the deal since my first name is 'Linda', not really Hostalavista! This plant has a silver tape of some kind on it and I did get another plant of this persons. I like the way the tape indented the name.
    After a while all the hurtful things said will not hurt as much. Time does heal wounds, some of them.

As I said and most of you know, Beverly & family, Mimi & family do most of the work, and spend lots of time and I'm sure they put $ into it because people may miss the pot to donate for the plates, cups, napkins, forks, ect...

Thank you diggerb for the recipe! yummy it was so good!
    I hope onedaylily reads this and does give us her recipe, I gotta use that one too.
    hostalavista, linda

• xaroleht
    13 years ago

Thanks Bev and Mimi for another fun time. I know we went home with a lot less plants then we brought...same for my Mom but we came home with so much more. Renewed friendships, new friendships and full bellies. If anyone is complaining about me directing Naomi to a plant 1st round it's because she couldn't find the one she was looking for...I think someone else was already at it and I was directing her to one with pink flowers...and there were several starts of the one she ended up taking. (I took a piece of glass as my 1st pick and would have missed my 1st plant choice if it hadn't been for the generosity of the person who got it and gave me a small division to take home). My older two have their own areas of the yard and my youngest will soon..he already has a plant or two of his own.(I think the only thing he took home from the swap was a nonplant item that his brother picked for him) The older two do side swaps already..usually with Steph's kids.(btw Steph could you send me the name of the one Naomi got from your daughter, thanks)I think we even participated in at least 2 side swaps we didn't get anything back from...who cares.They wanted them, we had them.Share the wealth.Pay it forward. We brought 3 door prizes this year and went home with none. oh well...there is always next year. If you don't like how it went don't come back. We are some of the originals and have been coming since the first one when Noah was not much older than Niall was at this one. Glad we were able to help those looking for something special. The June Hostas we brought we divisions of ones we originally got from the swap and had grown enough for us to pass then on again. Barbi please do remind me and I will bring you one next year...it should be ready to split again. So happy to see everyone and fellowship...can't wait till the next one.
    Michelle

• xaroleht
    13 years ago

sorry but I need to add a couple of other things...my kids follow swap policies...at one point I saw Noah standing there waiting for the next round to be called and everyone else was just picking...I think by that point they had stopped calling...he knows how to follow the rules because he has had adults take something out from under him while he was waiting patiently...and it was several rounds in and I think they may have even asked him if he was waiting on it and he said yes...and it has happened more than once. He, as best he can, tries to understand and it's not Bev or Mimi's fault. Where are future swappers and gardeners to come from if we don't teach our children?

• steph98
    13 years ago

Michelle
    Courtney gave Naomi a start of Jack Frost Brunnera.
    Hope she enjoys it!
    Stephanie

• xaroleht
    13 years ago

thanks

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of your support folks. After I calmed down, (Messing with my friends makes me see RED!) I realized that there are sooooo many great folks who have been coming for years and lots of new ones that we just met. One crabby apple won't spoil the whole barrel for me.

I also realized that I love knowing that the left over plants often end up in community gardens, churches and schools. Sometimes I'm even the one who puts them there!

Thanks again to you folks who made Saturday a good swap!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to the folks in the thread for your support and kindness. Also, to the people that emailed me personally to say how much they've loved the swap over the years - and that it's a very important part of their spring. (people, plants, food, trades, etc)

I chatted in an email with one friend - we talked about how standing by your first pick became the way to go. After all - we don't want a stampede!

Someone commented to me how folks seem to come back and bring friends, neighbors and co-workers. Then some of these newbies come back, too - and so it goes. Someone else mentioned how we've had people from Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky and Pennsylvania over the years too. Ron and Betty couldn't come from Michigan because of her bad knee. It's grown since 2001

It's been a pleasure nurturing new gardeners - children and adults.

People have been so generous over the years - bringing a special plant for a friend - even if that friend doesn't have a plant to trade back. MOST people are gracious during the actual swap. (wish they all would be!)

And Hostalavista mentioned the cost of all this up above. It's true the first four years or so Mimi and I paid for a lot of the expenses. We did so because people have loved it so much - as we did. Lately we've gotten enough donations. Thanks, everyone! Twice- I made a small donation of any extra money to charity. ($15 or $20 dollars - we aren't in this to make money.) This year we had our expenses covered - with a little extra. No charity this year...I am buying a bullhorn!!! Enough of this screaming!! LOL

So - Murray's been planting and mulching. Hopefully, next year my foot/ankle will be mended and I can walk on the grass again!!!

Thank you again and good gardening to you all.

Beverly

• kiki_redo
    13 years ago

Hi! I'm an OV gardener and new to the gardening part of gardenweb. I just saw the notice for the garden swap - darn! I missed it!
    I was just wondering if you do something in the fall also, or just springtime?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi kikiredo! Sorry you missed the swap this spring. It was fun. It took me a moment to figure that OV is Ohio Valley gardener.

Sometimes folks have a fall swap. Mimi and I don't put that one together. Keep checking at the get-togethers forum and see if one gets posted.

Hope you can come next year. It will be our tenth year.

Good gardening...Beverly

• granny57x
    13 years ago

Hi Storygardner,Princess Mimi and Xarolent and Steph98.
    I was just reading the posts on the thread from the swap and when I was reading them I had started from the very last posting and scrolling upwards.I had felt like I missed out on the best part of my gardening life missing the swap this year because of my knee surgery.I was so excited to read what everyone did and what great plants were exchanged and just wanting to get the full experience of the fun and excitement I always take away with me after attending the swap through everone else who posts their delight at being there.I sure missed you all.Then as I got closer to the top I started to get confused and was wondering what was going on,Then as I read on I got real sad and felt so awfully bad for the girls I addressed this post to.And their children.How awful and hurtful for all involved.Chemicalrxm5,You should be so ashamed in all your beefing.You came to a swap with expectations of Grandure.It's a swap for peets sake.I have brought at different times 250,300 plants sometimes less.I never have gone with the expection of bringing home that many in return.Who would want that many plants?Oh right! You would.
    The first time I came to the swap was 5 years ago,I brought 273 plants and went home with 21 or maybe 25 plants.I thought I hit the Jackpot.I loved everything I took home and I met wonderful people and had Great food and I even got lucky and won a door prize.The people welcomed me and my friend Sue with open arms and I've been hooked ever since.You could take a lesson from the kids.This is a fun and learning process for them.They need the guidence from their parents to know the difference from one plant to the next, So if the parent says to them, thats a good plant in my opinion thats teaching them one plant from the other.They won't be children forever and this is a good way to educate them in something so wonderful.It's teaching them the value of the earth,Where our foods are grown and most inportantly,How to share.Something you are short on.
    You may have scarred these children with your petty bickering over a plant or a door prize.I think you owe these children an apology and ask for their forgiveness.Any time children are involved in plants and planting and gardening we all should be grateful for the teachings at home who have taken them down this road and kept them from drugs and such.I'm proud to know kids like them!!!So I say to you,God Bless You,Be Healthy and Apologize.
    Granny57x

• steph98
    13 years ago

Granny- I got your email but it's not letting me reply. Can you try emailing me again? I think we were looking to trade Carolina Sunshine Hosta and whatever else you'd like. If you didn't promise all the Yellow River to others, that would work- your call.
    We can certainly find a place to meet if you'd like and if you're up to a small car ride. Hope you're feeling better now.
    Thanks for the support!
    Stephanie

• xaroleht
    13 years ago

Thanks Granny. We love you and missed you this year at the swap. Hope you are feeling better soon. Our prayers are with you.

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

Thanks Granny! You said many of the things that I would have said if I had a chance to meet that person face to face.

We missed you a bunch this year. Hope you and your bionic knees will make it next year! You won't believe how big all of the kids have gotten! You will be pleased to know that the ornamental purple basil you gave me last year had babies and is now growing in Beverly's garden too! Thanks so much. I think of you every time I see a plant that came from you.

Many hugs and prayers going your way. You and Sue give each other a squeeze from me!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Granny!! We missed you so much. It wasn't the same without you (and Betty and Ron). Hey - You and I have to get our pieces and parts in better shape so we can go back to gardening again! Thanks for your kindness and support.

onedaylily - so glad you had a good time! Thanks for the recipe!

smitties - it's great you all came to this swap and had an enjoyable time. It's true...folks start buzzing about the swap in February in anticipation of Springtime. Then the lists start appearing of who's bringing what. It's fun!

moa tse mom - you were missed also. I hope you can come next year.

I don't know if there's still a limit on replies to each thread...I think we are at 148. I can keep it rolling in another thread if folks want to share photos or anything.

Have fun everyone, planting your new goodies!

Good gardening to my wonderful swap friends....Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Folks! I forgot to mention that Baker's Acres now has a store in the Short North near downtown Columbus.

Check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker's Acres - Short North Columbus.

• sproutlinda
    13 years ago

Thanks so much mimi & Beverly, this was a great time! This is my 4th year, & I love it! THanks to Steph 98 For your generosity, also thanks to hostalavistaLinda.
    I would love to know the name of the giant hostas, & who brought them! They were huge! Thanks again to everyone for another great swap!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus