Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap & Potluck - Sat. May 17, 2008

storygardener
16 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (aka Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, (aka Princess Mimi)and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 17, 2008.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR & TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 17, 2008

Time: 10:00 am

Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE (shade, sun, etc) THEY REQUIRE!!! Also, mark any plants as invaisive or poisonous, if known)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name. I can tell you...gardeners are WONDERFUL cooks!!

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Over the years we have had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

This plant swap is free...but, if anyone wants to donate a dollar that day to help defray the cost of the shelter (now $50, paper products, etc) - we won't argue with you!

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.

Round One - pick one plant

Next Round - pick one plant

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick three plants

And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. **Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring. **

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair or blanket for sitting (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetery Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care & Sunshine Academy. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

We hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! We are contacting some of our gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Good gardening...

...Beverly & Mimi

Comments (150)

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Question for Kelly. If your dinner plates aren't 8" than what size are they?

Dinner plate Hibiscus, Hardy Hibiscus, Rose Mallow, Swamp Mallow are all Hibiscus moscheutos. I brought a couple to the swap last year and may have one to bring this year.
    {{gwi:47316}}

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Mao Tse,
    Yes, they are about 8", I guess I just think more the 12" size are dinner plate. Whatever they are called, they are sizable and very pretty.
    I may have talked another newbie gardener into coming!!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Is anyone interested in brugmansia, angel trumpets. If so I'll pot the cuttings up now and they'll be growing good by the time of the swap. They should have a nice flush of flowers by the end of the summer and if you can bring them inside next winter you'll really have a show stopper with many flushes next year.

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

My rose mallow are small less than 2 inches across. I wouldn't mind trying anything new. I would really like the "dinner plate" hibiscus. Kids and James got out for a little while on Sat but it was pretty cold. Hard to keep Naomi out of the garden. Noah was looking for ants for the ant farm he built at a Lowe's workshop. For anyone who has kids 5 and up it is a really neat program they have. Twice a month they have a free workshop for kids to build something. They get an apron, goggles, a patch for each project and our Lowe's does certificates as well. Back to gardening. Don't know what all we will have to trade yet but will check everybody's list and let you know if we can help. Have a good one. Peace

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Mao,
    ME, ME, ME!! I have some seeds that I keep trying with, but they just wont grow!! I would love a started brug cutting. It doesnt matter, but what color are they? Excited!!
    Xaro,
    I will bring you a bag full of seeds, and you should get PLENTY of bushes from them. They wont bloom the first year, but the next theyll be beautiful!! Ill keep an eye out for any babies, too.

• alison
    16 years ago

I haven't posted anything until now, because as it turns out, the swap is the same day we have a really big event planned at work, that I've always played a key role in.

But I finally told my boss this morning that they'll have to get along without me, as I'm not putting in yet another 10 hours of unpaid work and giving up something I love.

I don't have a lot of plants, but I'm sure whatever a bring will find a good home. And I've got some good door prize/non-plant swap stuff. I'll bring either white chili or pulled pork and some lavendar cheesecake for the potluck.

So I will be there! Looking forward to seeing you all, and I'm sure this time, I'll be early....

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Kelly- I sure I have pink brugs, I might have yellow and white too. I need to see which survived the winter. I'll put your name on one of them.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi folks...I LOVE all these "plant swap talk." Just gets me in the mood for spring, pretty flowers and trading plants.

I was in Michigan last weekend (visiting my family and grandson) and saw Ron and Betty, too. They are excited about coming down for the swap.

Alison - I am so, so glad you'll be coming to the swap!! I remember the first swap all those years ago. I think you had a truck - I saw you had a big lavender plant - I think I shouted, "Here comes lavender!!!!" Isn't that a silly thing to remember. I also remember Noah being a toddler, I think, at that first swap.

About 5 weeks away! Woo - hoo!

Beverly

• andreaz6wv
    16 years ago

Hi all, I was looking at this post and was thinking I might be interested in coming. I live in Parkersburg,WV. I saw someone post something about bringing non plant items and that's my guestion to you. I haven't been gardening long and don't think I have alot to offer plant wise. Can I get involved in the swap with things other than plants?

PS. I'll take this opportunity to tell you that I spend a few hours a day looking at forums and learning, but never post really. Anyways, I really enjoy this site and can't tell you how much I have learned. I joined freecycle and just got a wheelbarrow today for flowers, I set up a rain barrel this weekend and have 4 raised bed I'm doing square foot gardening with. You'd be impressed ;)

Thank You

• alison
    16 years ago

Sounds like you're doing pretty well, andrea!

You're definitely welcome -- it's always a great time and is especially helpful for new gardeners. Not only can you pick up tons of plants, but you can talk to the gardeners who actually grow them and know them well. They can give you a lot more useful information than the average stockboy at the box store, or the seasonal cash register operator at the garden center.

Non-plant items are always useful, too; espeically if you don't have a lot of plants of your own. Some of the things people have brought include stacks of gardening magazines and books, garden ornaments, duplicate tools, painted pots, planters, trellises... the list goes on and on. I think Bev laid the guidelines out pretty well when she said to make sure that each item/bundle of items is of a size that you'd be pleased to receive. You don't have to go overboard; just try to be fair.

Look forward to seeing you.

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

Ok first signs of Hostas have arrived. Hopefully things will come up in time to pot for the swap. James split some grasses this last weekend. Anyone looking for one in particular? Hopefully starting on the garden at the historical village this weekend. Pray for good weather our 1st group comes Friday.

Thanks Kelly

Alison your pulled pork is fabulous and the lavender cheese cake sounds wonderful. Glad you will be able to make it. Sometimes you just need to say "no" and do something for yourself. Can you teach me how now that you've figured it out?

Bev I think we ended up with that lavender but that is the one thing I haven't been able to get going in our yard and I don't even know if Noah was a year old at that first swap and now he is 9. eeeks. It seems like just yesterday.

Andrea non plant items are always welcome. Your junk may be someone else's treasure. We have one person who just had blown glass her 1st year and now I think we have her converted but now some of us vie for the glass pieces she brings. I know I am building a nice collection. Hopefully there will be some there this year...hint...hint.

Can't wait to see gardening friends of years past and new ones we just haven't gotten to meet yet.

Peace.

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

EEEEEEEK! I've been up to my ears in family and other projects. I'm doing some scene painting for a theatre company, baseball with Daniel, lessons with other sons, helping with a benefit auction auction, big PTO project, shopping for our cruise and all the regular stuff that comes with a family of seven. I just realized that I'd better get potting! It's less than a month until our cruise and when I get back that Thursday, Saturday is the swap!!! Don't know how I'll fit it all in but some how I always seem to!

I'm glad to hear that Alison will be coming. I listen to her while picking two of the guys up from school. Been wondering why we hadn't heard from her yet!

Welcome Andrea! We were all newbies once so come on and have a great time with us!

Gotta go pot!

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention this morning that my sister-in-law,Beth, who joined us in the fall, is planning on coming after she finishes with the Race for the Cure.

Peace.

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Xaro,
    There is a new website starting for The Lorax Project - when I saw it I thought you you and the mimosas. I have a mimosa that I got from my cousin last year that I have babied inside all winter, it is growing well and is anxious to be outside in the sun. I'm not sure where to plant it, though!
    Only ONE more month til the swap!!

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Well, I'm feeling better about my plants now. Sam and I dug and potted about 30 things in the last two days. I gave some to neighbors so I only have 26 on my bench. More will be coming.

That said, would anyone be interested in baby arborvitaes? The neighbor's tall shrubs are a favorite nesting spot and my fountain is a favorite watering spot for the local birdies. It looks as if they planted some seeds for me! I have two babies in inconvenient places that I can pot up. They are about 5 inches tall right now. Let me know folks, other wise it's the compost bin for them!

Gotta run! Sam's messy room and spring clothes unpacking and winter clothes packing await me. After I get Sam on the bus about noon I'll be recreating the side of a barn with a Mail Pouch sign on it. I hope to get all of that done before kids come home from school. Wooo! Hoooo!

Wish me luck!

~~Mimi

• granny57x
    16 years ago

You all know how much I like to get in on the Gabfest. Been missing out because of this thing here.It's so good to see everyone posting with their garden and non garden items and the stories behind some of them, and lets not forget the food.I can hardley wait till then.
    I've been walking around looking at all my Beautiful Flowers in with all my Beautiful Weeds((Not)) And It gives me so much pleasure Knowing my Weeds don't stand a chance come Sat,When my helpers come to rid them.At least put a dent in them.
    A lot of my Hostas are poking through and looking pretty good now.I have a lot of the Arum plant that I would like to do some side trades for.Anyone interested? I don't know right off which ones they are.But I love them.They are Beautiful and get red berries late in the year.
    I will be bringing maybe 8/10 flats of impatients and pretty many plants of the Coleus and some Batface and a some Cigar plants.I also would like to do some side trades for the African Blue Basil.I love this Basil the most of any of them.
    Because of misunderstandings about how the plants are chosen.I have decided to unpack all my flats of annuals. That way everyone will have a chance to take some.If anyone wants a full flat of any annuals I am bringing, email me and let me know.We'll work something out.
    Wanna get back outside,
    Looking forward to seein everyone and meeting newbies!!!
    Margie ((Granny57x))

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

Mimi,

I'd love the baby arborvitaes. I'm sure I can find a place for them.

Barbi

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

I would love the African Blue Basil. How does it do in a pesto? Are you looking for anything?
    Kelly thanks I'll have to check out the site. One year James did some searching and found a copy of the book from before they removed the line about Lake Erie which I had really been wanting.
    Better go get the kids to bed. Just got back from a program at school and need to go to Schoenbrunn tomorrow. My running begins for the spring.
    Peace, Prayers, & Posies

• granny57x
    16 years ago

Wow Mimi!!!
    Your recreating a Mail Pouch sign?
    I remember growing up and seeing all the Mail Pouch signs.
    They were the only signs I remember and loved.I miss seeing them and when I happen to come across one every now and then.I feel like I've gone back in time and Hit the Jackpot all in one.
    Were lucky you've taken on the job of bringing back some wonderful memories.Keep up the good work.Your so talented and creative.
    Michelle,
    I will make sure you get the African Blue Basil.It is wonderful to cook with and I'm sure it would make great Pesto,Even though I can't swear to it cause I've never made Pesto before.It has a wonderful taste and it's Beautiful to look at.
    Margie((Granny57x))

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Wow! We must all be out taking advantage of this great weather. No one has posted for DAYS!!!!!!

I have the stage set painting done so now I'll have more time to be in the garden.

I hope everyone is doing well.

~~Mimi

• granny57x
    16 years ago

What about me Mimi???
    Don't I count?

Granny57x

• alison
    16 years ago

Always, always, Granny!

I've been out planting things in the garden at work. Instead of a cake, we always get our office manager plants for Administrative Professionals Day. This week I planted out a bunch of perennials in our work garden. The lilac bushes we bought for her several years ago are starting to pop, and today she was just sitting in the garden with a blissful look on her face. That's why we garden!

I've got somethings potted up, and some door prize/non-plant trades packed and ready to go. Just to give you a hint of what I've got....
    {{gwi:816224}}

• hagey
    16 years ago

Kelly OH, I devide Pinchusion by looking at the roots and just cutting down through the roots. I have never see a scarlet colored one. I have some mini lavender and tall lavender. Will you be bring any scarlet ones? If so I would like to try one.
    Our hostas have really popped up the last few days. It looks like we might be able to pot some up next week.
    We did pot up today: Winter Aconite, Speedwell, Pasque Flower, Virginia Bluebells, Celandine Poppy, Balloon Flower, Wild Ginger, Lupine, and Columbine. That was all for today.
    Beverly, it was fun to see you and Murray. Can't wait until it's time go to Columbus.

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Hagey,
    That's what I was thinking I'd do, gosh the ones I got last year are huge and the color really is pretty. I'll definitely bring you one, do you think you'll have any Pasque Flower we could privately swap for?? If not, that's ok, I'll still be bringing some.
    I did a mini walk around today and I can't believe the change since yesterday!! I have hostas in places I really don't remember planting them!! I must have, because they are too far away from the established ones. I must say that they are in good spots, too, so I was doing something right last summer :). My Balloon Flowers are popping up out of the ground, too!

Ok, as far as non plant items - I have these rings, sorry no picts right now, but they are perfect silver circles - they are actually the "handles" from a wheelchair, for the person in the chair to propel themselves. Anyway, they came off my dad's old wheelchair and they are just such good junk I couldn't throw them out. I was going to put them up on the Garden Junk forum, but I thought I'd offer them at the swap first. If anyone is interested just let me know and I'll bring them. I can get dimensions if you want, but they are a smidge smaller in diameter than manual wheelchair wheels.

Is anyone going to be hitting the National Road(US 40) yard sales coming up? I've never been, but I think I would be in heaven!

Is there a list of what foods people are bringing? I am trying to think of something but wanted to see what others are bringing before I decide.

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

Right now I'm thinking my chocolate chip dip, it tastes like cookie dough, and possibly something made with Jerusalem artichokes(sunchokes). Not final on that though.

Bluebells are blooming and hostas are coming up like gangbusters. Busy Sat but hopefully can get a few things potted on Sun.

Peace

• kin2mice
    16 years ago

steph98 - I tried to email you but they keep getting bounced back I am sincerely interested in your toadlilies. Could you email me. (email at end of note)

dawncol - would you like some of my pepper or eggplant seeds or seedlings for some of your tomatoes? Otherwise I have shady plants and some water plants if you would like to trade see email at end of note

xaroleht- anything else you want for a couple of your jeusalem artichokes?

I have not forgotten the hens and chickens! I'll have at least 1-2 bags full.

email - kin2mice@yahoo.com

Also if anyone is a reader out there I am immersed in a book called "Robbing the bees" by Holley Bishop it is a wonderful book on bee keeping and bees in general with interesting insights in to the roll bees play in keeping our gardens bright and colourful. I've learned alot just on how small things I think I am doing to help my plants just might be killing or hurting the bees. (yes, I like bees even though they really don't like me!!!) anyway it is a great book and I'll recommend it to any gardener.
    See you all in a few weeks.
    I'll have a full list of what I am going to bring posted in a week or so. I have to check out mums garden to see what I can raid from there! It so nice to have her around.
    I' wont be posting/checking this site until then as I am currently working 2 jobs and just eat, sleep and garden and occationaly see my boyfriend and cats! Ah what we do for vacation money LOL.

• strmywthr3
    16 years ago

I've been enjoying the nice weather too! working too hard in the yard, but enjoying it. I've potted up some yucca, lemon thyme, obedient plant, coral bells, black eyed susans, anemone and some creeping phlox. I need to get some dianthus potted up too. I remember it and the phlox going pretty quick last year. I should also have a few heirloom tomatoes. they've sprouted pretty good for me this year. my peppers and eggplant haven't though :(

I haven't decided what I'm bringing foodwise. last year I took choc chip cookies.

Barbi

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention I think our group is up to 8 right now. The 4 of us, Mom, my brother & his wife, & my sister. Haven't talked to James' sister or Mom yet to see if they are joining us.
    Mouse, I look at your list when you post it and see.
    Barbi, the Lemon Thyme sounds great. I don't think I have any.
    Primrose blooming and ferns coming up. Something new everyday.
    Peace

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm interested in the Pasque Flower too.

I have Japanese anemone, brunnera, Hosta 'Feather Boa', Lamium 'Beedhams White',a great no i.d. garden phlox that's mildew resistant, Improved Dragon's blood and tri-color sedums so far. I'll have more hosta and other plants in the next week or two.

If you're interested in a private trade send me an e-mail.

mao

• hagey
    16 years ago

Kelly Oh, I will set aside a Pasque flower for you. Do you want a start of the light lavender pincushion plants? Save one of your pincushion plants for me. Thanks.
    Walked through the hosta beds and we have a big job ahead to divide the hostas for Columbus and my Garden Club.
    We will bring our usual - two pecan pies.
    We will bring a door prize also. Betty

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Mao, I've been thinking about the Brugs and I'm trying not to be selfish. While I would love to have one, I hate to take one only for the summer, since I really have no place to winter it inside. So, if others want the cuttings, let them have them, if there are any left, I'll take one. This is a problem I have, I want all the pretties, then after I get them I realize I don't have a spot to put them.

I've been working in the garden today and working on some bowling balls. I have potted up some of the magenta yarrow and a couple monarda. I have also been yanking up weeds and mint. My back is totally protesting. I have saved some mint so far, besides the regular mint (sorry, I have no idea what kind it is, but it smells great and I hear makes wonderful tea), I have some Apple Mint, Chocolate Mint, and some Pineapple mint. Please, please let me know if you want any because after tomorrow other than the little bits I have put aside, its all going to be dumped into the field next door.

Betty, yes, please, a lavender pincushion would be great! Tomorrow, time allowing, I'm going to attack my scarlet pincushions. They are already as big now as they were at the end of the season last year!! I'll put one aside for you :).

• hostalavista
    16 years ago

Kelly, I'll take a pot of each of your mints. I'm sure if you take them to the swap they will be snatched up.
    I'd like a scarlet pincushion to if you'll have enough.
    Wondering how to do the bowling balls, whats the best to use to glue stuff on? would caulk last?

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Hosta,
    Ok, I'll save you some mint :)
    I should have a couple of the pincushions if they are amendable to dividing.
    For the bowling balls, I use the GE II silicone, clear, I think its for windows and doors. As long as you give it enough time to set up before putting them outside it should hold just fine. I have a couple balls outside that I did at least 2 years ago and they are still in good shape.

• shadowgarden
    16 years ago

Sorry I hav not responded sooner. We have been moving to a new house and have no interne. I'll be there with glass and 4 other people.

• hostalavista
    16 years ago

Mao,
    I'd like the Tricolor sedum, I have tried to start it many times and have no luck, take a Dragons Blood too.
    I have varigated sedum and Angelina, care for a start of those?

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

yeah, Shadowgarden is coming...and bringing glass. More for my collection.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

I call dibs on shadowgarden's glass :-). That's allowed, isn't it?

Hostalavista- I'll mark one of each of the sedum's for you. I have both of the others but thanks anyway.

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

She usually brings enough for several of us to add to our collection. I usually even give up my 1st choice of plant for a piece.
    Kids and James were out again today. I wish I could get rid of these sinus headaches so I could enjoy it too. grrr. Will have him add a list of what he has potted up.

Peace

• kelly_oh
    16 years ago

Ok, now I'm really curious, tell me about shadow's glass, please.
    Well, today I moved and split two of the scarlet pincushions, I felt like I was killing them to separate them, but I have at least 3-4 good sized plants and a few smaller ones, if they don't die on me. Hmmm, is it obvious that I haven't split many plants in the past? I tried to move an asiatic lily, one that seems to have wandered from the mother plant and I think all I did was kill it. I don't believe I dug deep enough. I did talk to it when I replanted it, so maybe it will live.
    I believe I have the name for my magenta yarrow now, I'm pretty sure it is Richard Nelson.
    The monarda I have is Marshall's Delight, I believe. Does anyone have any Monarda Lambada? I grew that in Washington and just loved it!!
    I also have another plant, a gift from my aunt, so I'm not totally sure of this, but I believe it is pink primrose. They are completely gorgeous when blooming, and I have seen them rebloom later in the season, if you cut them down a bit. I will warn you however, that they will fill in QUICKLY! But if you have an area that you would like to see masses of pink blooms, these work.

• xaroleht
    16 years ago

Kelly, Shadowgarden blows glass and makes the most wonderful things. When she 1st joined us she didn't have many plants to swap so she brought some of her glass. Some people didn't realize it was for a swap and it sat for a couple of rounds. I was lucky enough to get a pretty glass flower that year. Now there are people, myself included, who give up their first pick of a plant to get a piece of her glass. Over the years I have gotten a really neat mushroom, flowers, paperweights, glass rods, glass bubbles, etc. I look forward to adding to my collection each year. Some she sees as mistakes but every creation is wonderful and beautiful. She now has plants to swap but always thinks of her friends and tries to bring some glass for us addicts as well.
    Peace

• storygardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boy oh boy...I love all this "swappin" talk going on.

YAY...Shadowgarden, I am so glad you can come to the swap. It's wonderful that you bring the glass to trade. Moa tse mom- I wish you & I could put dibs on all the glass!! I love it too. I feel honored to have a lovely collection of it in my gardens.

At this point I have some herbstone rudebeckia dug up and some sweet woodruff (thanks to Mimi - for the help). Murray will dig up more this weekend.

I don't know what I'll fix - usually is old fashioned sweet and sour cucumber and onions. I'll have to think about.

Granny - I'd love one of those basils, too - if you have enough. Maybe we can do a trade. It's so nice that you are back online!!!!

Think spring everyone...think swap!

...Beverly

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Hi folks!

Granny!!!!! Of course you count!!!!! I'll take pictures of the Mail Pouch "barn" and other stuff so Lee can show you on his computer. Beverly hasn't even seen them yet!

I broke my little finger and am waiting to see the hand specialist to be sure I didn't damage any tendons or ligaments. I hope not. This nine fingered typing is for the birds! I keep trying to use the splinted finger and typing really weird stuff!

I also pulled the muscles of my chest badly enough that they thought that I might have a broken rib. Sheesh! I'm still going to find a way to pot up those last few plants! There is NO WAY I'll let if spoil my once in a lifetime trip with the boys. We're going snorkeling, para sailing, catamaran sailing, swimming with the dolphins and even some time for just laying on the beach! No heavy lifting for me until after the cruise!

I'm overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to do in the next two weeks so I'd better go make another list and start checking things off!

Barbi, was that you who wanted the baby arborvitae? I'll save them for you.

I did dig up the campion that seeded itself in my stone path before I hurt myself. (*again*) They are a nice biennial. Mine are white but Beverly has some rose ones so who knows what color the seeds the bees made!

I have Solomon's seal that needs dividing and some salvia that seeded into my stone path too. The candy tuft jumped the path but it might have to wait 'til fall.

I can't wait to see Betty and Ron all the way from Michigan. I keep killing my forget-me-nots! Wonder what I'm doing to them?

I hope everyone is doing well and my penchant for injuring myself is not "catching"!

~~Mimi

• xaroleht
    15 years ago

Hey hey what's this about dibs. I'm the 1st to respond about the glass coming if anyone should have dibs it should be me...LOL. Now you know shadowgarden we just love you for you glass...and for who you are.
    Peace.

• granny57x
    15 years ago

Alison,Mimi,
    Thanks for saying I count,I was joking when I said it.But it's nice to know you care enough to respond.A pity party for Granny.LOL I love you all for it.
    I have been out looking at all the Hostas that are coming up and reading all the name tags.I forgot how many different Hostas I have ended up with.I may not have large enough Hostas to get a good size split from,But I will have some nice and different ones for a side swap if anyone is interested.I don't know what they'll be just yet.
    Beverly,I surely will save you an African Blue Basil.I'd like another start of the Grosso Lavender if you have any left.I think the cats dug in mine last year and then with the weather,It heaved up out of it's spot.I was heart sick.I really love the plant.Yours is Beautiful!!
    I have a thought!!I do that sometimes.You know --Think!!
    In my opinion,
    Beverly and Mimi,Who put this swap together and have a hard time getting out there and picking a plant or plants
    should have first crack at picking whatever they want for the first round before any of us.I feel they deserve the Queen Bee treatment.They do so much for all of us and miss out on so much.Now they have problems with their fingers and I think Bev still has a problem with her foot.
    I just think it would be nice if we could all extend a go for it and run with it hand.
    Just my opinion.And no one paid me to say this:)
    I do accept donations though!!!LOL:)
    Kidding!!
    Granny57

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Granny,

I second that idea, if I'm allowed, even though I haven't been to a swap before. It is time consuming to organize such a big event, Bev and Mimi should definitely get first pick if only as a "thank you" from the rest of us.

I am not thrilled with this "freezing temperatures" at night stuff that's gone on last night and tonight. Not happy at all.

I was wondering if anyone has a fragrant viburnum baby bush they wanted to swap?

18 more days!!! Are most people that attend the swap from the Columbus area or are there any others coming from the west side toward Dayton??

• hagey
    15 years ago

Kelly, If you can find a start of each of the Mints, I would like them. What do are you looking for in exchange?

Mimi, Do you need some starts of the Forget Me Nots? What else are you looking for? I want to know, as I was wondering what we can bring for your little surprise. I do have Beverly's all ready.

Hostalavista - When we get started later in the week, I will let you know what hostas we are digging? Are you bringing any this year?
    Betty

• Orcascove
    15 years ago

hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know I'm still coming, maybe even be bringing 2 people with me instead of just 1. But my first attempts at wintersowing stuff doesn't look like it's going to amount to much for the swap, so it looks like I will end up bringing mostly hens and chicks, and probably some fire king yarrow if I can get it seperated out without killing it off. Will look around and see what else might take some divisions... LOL!!! This is my first year, so I will bring what I can, hope it's enough. Can't wait to meet you all!! See you soon!!!

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

Betty,
    You are already bringing me the Pasque flower and the lavendar pincushion, remember? I do have some mint left to pot, and a friend just brought me a boxful of pots to use, hurray!! What color are your lupines and columbine?

How do these "side trades" work? do we do those right away, and get those plants out of the general trade area?
    And the regular trade, does everyone just walk around during the rounds and take a plant?

I am making the people around me crazy, I think, because I'm so excited!! They will be glad when the swap is over :)

• kin2mice
    15 years ago

Since I third the motion that Bev and Mimi get first pick. the Motion is carried and the descion is final! LOL Granny did you say you take bribes....? ;)

Okay got most of my list done: peonies - pink and fushia and white have no clue as to what is what they are mixed up, ajuga, horsetail, yellow loosestrife, golden money wort, stockesia aster(cornflower aster), blue/purple blazing star, spurge, white & blue violet, wild purple violet (makes great suger coated)pink praire primrose, red hot poker, lambs ear, pink perennial mallow, peppers - big bertha, fat & sassy, some hybrid, Hansel eggplants, cucumbers - marketeer, ground cherries, rainlily bulbs,orange daylilies, yellow water iris - small babies, and possibly some other seedlings if the sowing goes okay. Will add to this list if I get more.

Thats all if anyone who I asked for side swipes wants any of this stuff just email me direct. Work is taking me offline at this site again for a few days. (Till monday at latest)I can check email at my friends house but thats it due to her child blockers. (nothing but seseme street and disney sites)

Thanks again, and granny if you do take bribes what would it take for a small size hosta? I would like a surprise for a friend. :)

• hagey
    15 years ago

Kelly OH,
    I want to use the mint for the Demo Garden at the Garden Project. A lot of people go through there and we try to get herbs that people use in there cooking.
    I have a columbine that I will put your name on that is called Chocolate Soldier - brown/purple color. I will also add a lupine and that is blue.
    I like to exchange my personal trades when I arrive and get them in the car before we eat. It seems like after it is such a rush. We are there early as we stop over to Beverly's house and come with them. Is there any thing else? Thanks. Betty