Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

o
Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 20, 2006

Posted by Storygardener 5/6 central oh (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 18:48

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (also known as Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 20, 2006.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 20, 2006
Time: 10:00 am - 3:00pm
Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!! Also, mark any plants as invaisive or poisonous, if known)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name.

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Last year we had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.
Noon - have lunch
After lunch - door prize(s) awarded
1:00 - swap begins
After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.
We must be out be 3:00 pm.

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.
Round One - pick one plant
Next Round - pick one plant
Next Round - pick two plants
Next Round - pick three plants
And so on, and so on....
This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetary Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care & Sunshine Academy. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

We hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! We are contacting some of our gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Good gardening...

...Beverly & Mimi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 20, 2006

I'll be there! Hmmmm. What shall I bring for the potluck? I'm jazzed already!

~~Mimi

o

Hi All, IT is that time of year again, can't wait, so much fun and so many plants and nice people and sooooooooooooo much fun. This will be my third year and can't wait to see everyone again and exchange oh so many plants.

JoAnn

o

Hey, Mimi...we are all hoping you'll bring cavatini! Yum.

Hi JoAnn!! It's nice to hear from you! Yes, It's fun to be thinking about the swap!

My gardens are swap-aliciously endowed!

Beverly

o

~test~

o

Yeah! Stacy and I can't wait! And, this year we are determined to brave the elements and start dividing and labeling early. Has anyone started their wish list yet?

Myra

o

I'm excited and I'm marking my calendar. Now I have to think about what needs to be divided and what food to bring. Thanks for doing this for us every year you two.

Trish

o

Hi Myra.....so glad you and Stacy are attending again. It's great! I have a few wishes myself...I'll wait until closer to start speadin' the word

Trish!!! Hi friend! I am so happy you'll be at the swap! It's fun to do this swap and connect with everyone!

Beverly

o

I'm in. I'm bringing Cabbage Patch Salad - it's a very yumnmy oriental slaw loaded with sunflower seeds, almonds, and crunchy noodles.

Beverly and Mimi Rock!

o

Bakemom's coming!! Yippee! That salad sounds yummy.
I can't wait, already.
The count....12 people.

Beverly

o

I'm already getting psyched! I was outside enjoying the weather today and making mental notes of what needs dividing. How warped is that!?!

I must not be too warped since you all have replied already!

~~Mimi

o

I'd like to go. Won't find out til next week or so if I can get the day off work though.

Barbi

o

Hi Barbi! (that's my sister's name...same spellling, too) We hope you can get the day off and make it to the swap! I always lots of fun. Glad you posted.

Beverly

o

hello all!

i am looking forward to coming too and have no doubt that as soon as i tell Granny about this that she will already be in the car waiting for me!!! < giggles >
last year was my first plant swap and i loved it. i couldnt get over all the different kinds of things there for trade. and i still have that wonderful huge cactus i got there last year too!!! it was way taller than me!!! you should have seen DH's face when i pulled it out of my car!! lmao

anyways... count us both in!!

sue
"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

o

Hi Sue!!! Yes, indeed...we are SO GLAD you'll becoming to the swap! (who knows, maybe we'll meet you at the gas station again, afterwards).

Tell Margie (Granny 57) we'll be waiting for her, too.

Glad to know that HUGE cactus is still going strong. It was so big. Too bad you don't have a photo of DH's face when you pulled it out of the car.

Good gardening.....Beverly

o

Count me in!
always alot of fun. I'm thinking I could get started now on those divisions-with all this lovely weather-some plants think it's time to grow now-LOL The daffs sure seem to be anxeious(sp?) and many others in the garden are popping up & putting out leaves- I sure hope they know what they're doing-LOL

see ya there!

Linda

o

Hi Linda!!!! It's great that you are coming to the plant swap again. My daffs are confused too. You're right..almost seems like we could be potting things up for the swap with this warm weather. I know...have to wait. I am anxious to get my hands in the dirt.

It will be fun to see you again.

Think spring....Beverly
PS - we have 23 people already that say they are coming to the swap!! Yippeeee

o

Count me in! Too..
I'm bringing a friend so she can see how much fun we have.lol

How many plants and how big should thet be? house plants too?

o

Hi, efrosty!! I am glad that you and your friend will come to the swap!!! Bring as many plants as you like. You can bring whatever you have extra of. You can bring small plants, rooted cuttings, trees - any plant you like. Yes, feel free to bring houseplants, too. You can take home one plant for every one you bring.

Everything is "equal" in this swap. A seedling equals a big shrub. A trade is a trade. We always have a blast.

Glad you're attending!!!

Think spring...Beverly

o

Hello,
This going to be a short note, because the last one I posted never showed up! I wonder if others are having trouble getting on here since things have changed?
When I wrote was right after Beverlys Jan. 16. and just before FourPawsLinda 28th message. So what do you thinks happening? Hostalavista Linda

o

Hostalavista...your post is at the thread about the swap in the Ohio Valley Forum. We seem to have two threads about the swap going this year.

It's there!! So glad you are coming!

Beverly

Click on the this and check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap Thread at Ohio Valley Forum

o
got the day off!

I can come! I got the day off work. I'm excited! never been to a plant swap before and I'm looking forward to it.

Barbi

o

Hi Barbi...that great that you can get the time off to come to the swap. It's good fun...good food, LOTS of plants, and great folks.

Looking forward to meet you.

Think spring....Beverly

o

so strange i can post here, but not on some other forums...hmmm

anyways i have been checking my seeds for growth and planning on what to bring. I can't wait. this will be my first swap in person... woohoo lol I live in knox county anyone near by?

o

Hopefully hopefully....So, what kind of goodie should I bring eatwise? What do you usually have a shortage of?

Now....if only my WS stuff co-operates, but it did occur to me I will have redbud and caryopteris....:) And maybe some divisions of Daylily Sunday Gloves, but that's just about it for the plant material which was already here when I moved in.

Going to Hilliard for this sure as heck beats going to the James' cancer ctr. in Dublin!

o

Efrosty...it's strange that you can't post in certain forums. My Michigan friend, Betty, can't post in the exchange area of the Ohio Valley. I guess it's how they set it up. Yes...there's a group coming from the Sunbury area - I don't know if it's that close to you. But, we have folks that are coming from Cleveland, Mansfield and other places north of Hilliard. It will be great that you can attend this year!

Michigoose...gosh, as far as food goes. Just bring whatever you like. Thanks for asking! It always seems to work out. I think it was Alison that once said...if everyone brings brownies...hey, what wrong with that!! I am hoping my WS stuff co-operates too.(and, I know folks will love your daylily, too etc) It will be fun to put faces to gardenweb folks.

Think spring...think swap...Beverly

o

My sister brought me last year and I had so much fun. The rose of sharon I got bloomed even this summer and I can't wait to see the growth this year. The veggies I got were faboo too! I'm planning on bringing a friend or two! Thanks so much for organizing this!

o

Welcome Kaelia! We are so glad that you'll be rejoining us this year! Let us know how many friend you're bringing so we know how many tables to reserve for eating.

We all better start praying for nonrainy weather. If the turn out is anything close to last year we'll all be soaked to the skin before it's over if it rains.

I'll be bringing a dark burgundy iris that is unnamed, some heirloom sedum and who knows what else!

~~Mimi

o

Hi Kaelia...it's wonderful that your rose of sharon bloomed the first year you had it! So glad you will come and again to the swap and bring some friends. Great!

Think spring....Beverly

o

If everyone brings brownies or deserts, I'll be a happy camper.....even though I'm going to have to cut them out pronto....sigh.

I was wondering if anyone had any cuttings of rosary vine to bring? This is an old houseplant that I can't find anywhere except for Hirts and on eBay....and I'm loathe to pay $12 plus s/h for something I only need a little bit of.....Thanks.

o

Hi all, I would like to come! I have never been to one. All I have is seeds that I can start for everybody. I have tons of mints in my yard I could bring but who really wants to see mints? blaa I have tons of Impatiens and other flowers I can start, What types of plants or flowers should I do? Should I only have one little plant/seedling per container? Can someone give me an Idea of what to bring? So let me get this streight one of my little seedlings could equal the same as a big plant? Or would I have to trade like 5 little seedlings for a big trade? And how many plants to bring, I don't want to end up bringing to many or to less. I have some house plants I can bring as well after I get a good start on them. Just let me know.

If I come I will be bringing 2 friends with me.
Thanks I'm looking forward to this, It sounds fun!
Karri from Canton

o

Hi Karri...yes, I hope you and your friends can make it to the swap!!! I know you'll love it.

Karri - people would be want in different kinds of mints. Yes, folks are intersted in culinary plants. Go ahead and pot some up. BUT, please mark them as INVAISIVE - so that they will know to plant them separately from other plants.

As far as seedlings go..alot people put tiny seedlings into a 4pack (like you'd get at the garden center). Or - seedlings potted up in a similar fashion.The best way to think of it is - what would YOU want in a trade.

Bring your houseplants, too. Folks are interested.

Bring as many plants as you want - things that you have extra of. There is no minimum or maximum number.

Hope to see you in May.

Beverly

o

I'm ready for spring. I'm already making my list of stuff to bring. I'm thinking about starting some pink oriental poppies that a friend gave me seeds for. Anyone interested? They won't bloom this year, but.... Of course, I'll be bringing some daylilies. I always have some that need to be divided.

We ought to think about starting some cool and unusual plants to bring to the swap. I'm thinking of ordering some Tennessee coneflower seeds like Storygarden has and that would be a cool and different thing to bring.

Just a though,
Trish

o

Pink poppies sound great Trish! Can't wait to see you!

~~Mimi

o

Hi Trish...your poppies and daylilies sound fantastic. FUN I will have some daylilies, hostas, coneflowers, sedums, cranesbill, asters etc. to bring. I know I'll have some things from Winter Sowing...at least I think so.

Trish, you'll love the Tennessee Coneflower. It blooms even longer that the echinaceas I have.

Can hardly wait~

Beverly

o

Hello,
I'be there too. Can't wait!! I also found a good web site you may be interested in. http://conweb.com/hydrangeas/swapcuttings.shtml
It is a mailing hydrangeas plant swap by mail. I just signed up. It's free to sign up. They swap cuttings.
cottage garden diane

o

Hi Diane! It's great that you'll be coming to the swap. Let us know how your hydrangea swap goes.

See you in the spring.

Beverly

o

WOO!!HOOOO!!!!!!!Guess Whooo!!!?? I finally made it!!!
I didn't think I was ever going to be able to get back on line or anywhere else as far as that go's!!And it was killing me not to be able to post on the get togethers forum.I had so much trouble you just won't believe it.
But that's all over with now and here we are again, Especially me,Getting all worked up into a frenzy about the swap.I sure did miss everyone!!!! I couldn't even get on line to read any of the posts let alone post for myself.I'm so looking forward to keeping in touch and getting caught up reading all the posts from everyone.
My friend Think Dirt(JoAnn) Has tried to keep me filled in.As well as my friend Sue,(Gillespie Gardens).Oh Well,I better quit for now,Let everyone get use to having me on board again.LOL!
Big Hi's to Beverly(Storygardener) And Mimi(Princess Mimi)
Been Along time!!
P.S. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL!!!!
What a wonderfull time to get my computer up and running again!!!
Hope all the children and family members are well and safe.I haven't forgotten any of you,Your all still in my prayers.

o

Hi Granny!!!!!!!!!

We missed you this past winter. I am glad you are back on line.

Can you believe we are talking about the spring swap again. Only three monthes away *giggle*...gives us something really fun to look forward to.

I hope you've been well and have had good things happening since last we spoke.

Think spring...think SWAP!

Beverly

o

How nice to hear from you Storygardener!!! It's nice to be back and even nicer to be missed!!!!It is hard to believe that it's Plant Swap Chattering time again!! I don't know about everyone else,But I'm tired of being teased into thinking today is Spring time weather and tomorrow be snowed in."Grins>!!!Especially when so many of my bulbs and plants are up and coming up.They have been tricked as well. I sure hope they won't be hurt to the point of not being able to replinish themselves.I'm so excited about seeing everyone and doing all the fun stuff that goes with it.Such a wonderful idea.I've been reading posts and trying to remember all that I've read"HA! HA!>Never Happen!
I will always have to go back and reread everything.
Anyway, I read that Bakemon is bringing Cabbage Patch Salad.What a fun name for a salad,Now I did remembe that post,It was about food!!LOL!!It sounds really good,Can't wait to try it out.I can't wait to bring some Castor Beans
for any who want them.I have 2 new kinds.I don't know what their names are. I stopped at a house on my way to who knows where?And I asked if they would share theirs if I shared mine?So we traded,I had 3 different kinds,He had 2 different kinds,They are really cool looking.Instead of starting them and bringing plants I will just bring some seeds .They do better planted right in the ground.
Hey princess Mimi!!!Hows the Boys?? Give them all big hugs for me!!!
Hope all is better this time around.Be Seeing You Soom.

o

Hi Granny!!!!

I'm so glad to see that you're back online...and coming to the swap! It's been a rough winter but spring is on it's way! Can't wait to see everyone!

~~Mimi

o

CRAPOLA - it's also the RACE for the CURE weekend. We will be at that in the morning - me and my four kids. OK, I can probably do both, but I will smell. Is that ok?

o

Bakemom,What's race for cure?What kind of smells will you be bringing? LOL!!!LOL!!!It wouldn't be the same if you didn't come,So you can't use a smellie bodie as an excuse not to come!!(BIG GRINS!!!)If you can't come and stay, Drop off that
wonderful sounding Salad you are making.(Teasing)
See you at the swap.

o

The Komen Race for the Cure is in downtown Columbus that morning. Last year 26 thousand runners, walkers, limpers, strollers etc. walked a 5K to raise funds for a cure for breast cancer. It's fabulous to see 26thousand people take off down High Street (we walkers watched the 10s of thousand runners take off). We do this as a family. It's quite a big deal here in Columbus. The race starts at 10 and with all the traffic (foot traffic) we get done around 11 or 11:30. I can probably get home by 12 and over to the swap by 12:30. Then, we are going out later (after showers) as a familiy to celebrate.

o

Bakemom...we don't care if your sweaty and stinky....after all, we're gardeners. We certainly know about that!! I am SO glad you're still coming to the swap!!!!!!!!!

Beverly

o

Bakemom,You know I don't care what you smell like.I'm like Storygardener,Just want to see you and everyone else.And the Race for Cure sounds wonderful,If I could do it I surely would.But My legs just won't hear of it.
I think it's a special thing to share with your family,Especially with your children.
Keep up the good work!!!

o

Go Bakemom!!!! My Mom is a two time breast cancer survivor. (She says that she finally has a matched pair!)

Come as you are and wear your race T shirt! I'll be stinky from racing around trying to get everything ready. Hopefully I won't break a picnic table this year.

I did find my signs. I put them in my paper products box for some reason! I'll be making some different ones this year. It's always a learning process.

I'm getting excited!

~~Mimi

o

Princess Mimi,You crack me up!!!

o

Go Bakemom! I am a 2 x survivor too and was heavily involved with Race for the Cure in CT....Heck, I'll even bring a watering can and a towel and you can shower at the swap ; )

o

Good for you for racing, Karen. I usually just make a donation and grumble when I get trapped on my block by the race itself!

Mimi -- are you modifing the categories for the plants?

o

I plan on being at the swap as well! I may be running the race for the cure too (hopefully)...

o

Great Evan! Be fun to see you!

Hey Alison! I think that we need a category for shrubs and trees. I'll listen to any suggestions that anyone has. I made some notes last year as to what needed changes. The notes are in my paper products box so I don't remember them right now!

Beverly is going to teach me about winter sowing next week so I don't know what all I'll have to bring!

~~Mimi

o

Hi Evan!! Glad you're coming to the swap!! Hope you can do the race and swap that day - if it works out for you.

Wow - you know...it's still February & we have 46 people that have indicated that they are coming to the swap! Yipppee!

Yes, Mimi, Sam (age 2) and I are having a Wintering Sowing Fest this week. Let the good times roll.

Beverly

o

Well, I am no longer Winter Sowing challenged! I planted Chamomile, Red Dazzler Cosmos, Stactice, a double pink hollyhock with a loooong name, snap dragons, Carpet of Snow Alyssum, and I can't remember what all! There will be some for swappin'!

I'm getting excited!

~~Mimi

o

I figured I'd go to the right page and add my RSVP stuff. Let's see, there's me, my little dog Buddy, Karen, Mary (the RV chicks), my sister-in-law Gene from Lodi, Brenda, my crazy girlfriend from work and... (I think we'll need a drumroll for this) my two sisters and my Mom from California are tentatively planning on coming back to visit during that time because they want to attend the legendary Garden Swap! Now I think that will take the prize for 'we came the longest distance' don't you? I'll bring heritage tomatoes for sure, plus other stuff. Anyone in the mood for ornamental grasses?
Spring's almost here!
Nancy

o

Sunburygirl:

i just adore ornamental grasses!! email me and maybe we can figure out some direct trades for the swap! I have quite a few that are not listed on my trade list.

sounds like you will have a whole clan at the swap with you! wish i could get my family interested in plant swapping too.

sue
'one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow'

o

I'm definitely interested in the grasses.
Sue has wonderful grasses!
The morning light I got from her last year(private trade) is doing wonderfully has more than tripled in size.

This is getting exciting!!!!
If it would just stop raining I think I could go out and start potting up plants-LOL

Cant Wait!

o

Wow, I looked at Sue's trading page for grasses and I don't know that I can add anything she hasn't already got! The only thing I have I didn't see was one called Schizachyrium 'The Blues' which is a 3' bluestem grass that's a metallic blue in summer and copper in winter. Very cool! Unfortunately, I only got it last year and it's not ready to divide. But I've got others and should have some of the bluestem in a year or so. It's available at Bluestone Perennials if you're so inclined.

o

Sunbury girl...yes, you win the award for folks taveling the furthest. It's awesome!!!! What fun - all those people you're bringing.

And...I love to see all the trading starting. I am so ready for spring and digging plants for the swap and the whole thing!!!

Think spring...think swap!!!

Beverly

o

• Posted by ohgeo Z6 NE OH (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 13:09

Beverly, count me IN! Can't stop now, these swaps are addictive.

Anyone have any requests? I am behind on my gardening chores already this year. 70 degrees yesterday and now it's snowing. BAH!

George

o

Hi George...awesome!!! Glad you are going to be at the swap this year. I agree...swaps and swap plants, and swap folks, and swap food and all the swap stuff ARE additctive. At least it's a healthy one!! See you in May.

Beverly

o

Count me in on the grasses, I love them too.
Last year someone brought a whole maybe two trays of a green grass, when I got home the tag was missing, anyone remember bringing this? and the name...?? I like to keep track. I like the daylilys, but my daughter likes them too so she picks them out. I'm a hosta freak, just love the darn things. But I'm finding out I love them all!
Can't wait... hostalavista babee, linda

o

• Posted by vlam87 Central Ohio/Z5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 20:28

There is joy in my heart as I tell you I will be there again this year. This IS our most favorite and special event each spring - I bring my mother and watch her face as she smiles each time she acquires a new plant. Her smile is priceless. The time I spend there with her is such a cherished blessing for me. THANK YOU for giving me that.... What you do to pull this together each year really is very much appreciated.
Each year I convince another co-worker or friend into attending with us--- So I think there will be 10 of us attending this year.... I can hardly wait!

o

Hi Vlam87 - WOW - to be just a part of something that is so special for you and your mom...and - to bring joy to your heart.......well, that's a blessing for me and Mimi. Thanks for those kind words. Ten folks this year...that's great!

We now have over 63 folks that have said they are attending. Amazing...it's only March 17!!!

I can't wait!!

Beverly

o

Folks...listen to this!!! I got an email today from Chris Baker, of Baker's Acres Greenhouse in Alexandria, Ohio. He has again OFFERED a $50 gift certificate to our swap as a door prize. Mind you, I didn't approach him..he took it upon himself to offer this. What a kind generosity of spirit!

WOW!!!!

Beverly

o

I am mentally making my list of things I think I will have to swap. Since there is interest in ornamental grasses, I will bring Miscanthis 'Adagio' and Carex 'Ice Dance'. I know Sue has these on her list too but then again, there's not many grasses she doesn't have on her list! LOL!!

does anyone have an interest in Lambs Ear 'Helen Von Stein'? It is a large leave variety that does not flower. My front flower bed is edged with this and I love the effect. After 5 years, I need to divide some of it to keep the clumps a little smaller. If there's no interest (because I know a lot of people probably already have it), I will likely just throw them in the compost heap or put them on the curb as give aways. I got rid of a bunch of Stella d'oro daylilies that way last year because we live in a very new subdivision.

I will also have Boltonia, 2 Ballerina roses, 2 Palibin lilacs (if I don't hurt them too badly by digging them), one Maple tree (about 4' tall), catmint, balloon flowers, creeping Jenny, white bleeding heart, Knautia, Purple coneflower, Pink bee balm, and more I'm sure..... I'm going to take a few days off the week before the swap to be sure I'm ready. I can't wait!

o

Hee heee heee!!!!! I'm getting so excited! My winter sowing is popping up and other things are too! What fun!!! I can't even begin to make a list of what I'll be bringing.

So glad to hear about everyone who is coming! I too feel blessed and glad to hear that we're bringing smiles to faces.

Two days until SPRING!!!!!

~~Mimi

o

Vlam87, Your post touched me deeply.
I hope you can have many more smiles to share and look forward to with your mother, There's NOTHING!! more rewarding then to know that you made your Mother Happy and shared it all with her, Not to mention how it made your day.We all should be so lucky!I'm so glad my friend Sue found out about this swap last year and let me know about it,I have never enjoyed anything as much as I have doing this.I'm thrilled to be part of it all.
Thanks to Beverly and Mimi
(Storygardener and Princess Mimi)
Remember:
Today's Memories
Are
Tomorrows Treasures
May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!

o

Beverly! I think Chris Baker must be our own personal angel! < smiles > when my mom comes from maryland to visit the weekend after Easter we are hitting some garden places around columbus and Bakers Acres waas already on the list! I thought about taking her to Seelys by you too! We have already hit Oakland Garden Center, Franklin Conservatory and Innis Metro gardens. Anyone have any other suggestions for columbus area? Remember now....its just a day trip! lmao

Linda: I am so pleased to hear that the morning light is doing well. you must have given it a very sunny spot as thats what that one really needs. < smiles >

Hostalavista: drop me a line and we can talk about trading grasses! or anything else lol

George: nice to see you are coming again too! yes i saw a few plants on your list id love to work out a trade for!
helenium, mirablis, nicotiana... i'll send you an email later and see if you have those available to trade this year!

Gardengirl: adagio and ice dance are very choice grasses!
those should get snapped up in no time! i saw you had ballerina roses too! id love to get those!

Well I gotta run! see you all later!

Sue

o

just checking in.. happy spring everyone...
well off to check my winter sowing containers and making soy candles.

i wanted to bring brugs, but i am having a bug problem with them and i'd hate to give someone this headache..any suggestions?
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Hi Sue...good to see those private swap starting..that's alot of fun too!!

Yes, I do think Chris Baker is our angel. It's so nice of him. In May Mimi and I...maybe Bakemom, too - will go for Friends Day. 10% off if you come with some friends (imaginary friends not included, they say!!) Also, I suggested to garden club folks we do our annual field trip there in June. I think folks were planning a group trip, anyway. But - he has an incredible greenhouse with such interesting annuals. Great perennials and veggies, too.

Hi Efrosty!!! Glad you checked in. I just got some soy candles from Swan Creek while I was in Ohio. Soy candles burn so nicely. I don't know about the Brugs. But, there's a forum at the gardenweb on them. They might be able to help you with ideas about your insect problem.

Think spring...think swap.

Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia forum at the Gardenweb

o

Granny 57...I forgot to mention that I love your saying about:

Remember:
Today's Memories
Are
Tomorrows Treasures

Sue..glad you'll go back to Seeleys. It's a great nursery, too.

BTW - our count is now 71 folks interested in Attending!!

Beverly

o

HELLO OUT THERE!! heehee that was sapose to be an echo!
Does anyone else have winter depression? I can't wait to get outside, It is frezzing here. As far as my outside plants go, I only have a little sedum coming up and some bulbs. If the weather will ever hold out I want to get out there and clean out my car. Does anyone else feel that way about their car? lol. I must be weird! my little indoor seedlings are doing good this year. I wanted to let everyone know I might be bringing a really good warm soup in a crock pot, hmm wonder if there is plugs I can use, If not, I might just bring something cold. I dunno. Is there a list of food that everyone already has picked out?
If so can someone post it?
Thanks Karri
PS. only about 2 months left, who is getting ants in their pants?

o
once more

grrrrrrrrrrr, I meant to post my siggie, wonder what happened to it?
trying this again folks, sorry!

o

Hi Karri...yes, we are all getting antsy!! Yes, there are plugs and electricity in the shelter where we do the swap. Actually, there isn't a sign up list for food. Bring whatever you like...it always works out!

It is amazing..two monthes until the swap. I can hardly wait!!

Thing spring....Beverly

o

Hostalavista, I have been meaning to answer your post on the name of the grasses that were brought to the swap last year.It just slipped my mind that Me and my friend Jacquie
brought the grass. We're pretty sure it was called Wind Dancer.We're trying to find out the botanical name and when we do I'll be sure to let you know. I'm so glad you liked it. Has it wintered over pretty well for you? I think I'll be bringing some more and I will be bringing 4 maybe 6 Batface for door prizes.They may be small,But they'll grow up.(Grins)
Storygardener, Thank you for your kind words,I can't wait to see you all.

o

Well I just got home from our neighboring K Mart with 3 water fountains. One for me and one for two friends. I went looking for bulbs and plants and ended out in the outdoor plant area, And behold a wonderful sight.
50% off Water Fountains. Well just this one kind. It's described as an Antique Blue Double Cauldron, With 3 blue birds.I myself bought one that looks like those old farm house hand pumps.It wasn't 50% off but still a good deal.
I opened up the one I picked up for my friends and took a peek and It's more beautiful then the picture shows on the box.
Everything to get you going for $50.00.I just may go back and buy one of those too. Then I can have 2 Water Fountains.
One in front and one in back.
It's hard to find something in a water feature in a good price range,And something that's very beautiful at the same time.When I left the store today,There were 3 left. Anyone interested in one, I'd be happy to pick one up for you and you can pay me back at the swap. Just an offer. Email me and let me know.Total price is $53.25.

Today's Memories
Are
Tomorrow's Treasures
May You Have Many Yesterday's!!!

o

Carealot,
As a response to the cleaning the car,
I still have Christmas in my car, And have just recently added Valentines to it. I can have a Christmas party and eat heart shaped candies at the same time. And with Easter coming up,Who knows what kinds of goodies will appear!!!
Hopefully I'll have my car cleaned out by the time of the swap. If not I will share the goodies with all.

\ Todays Memories
Are
Tomorrows Treasures
May You Have many Yesterdays!!!

o

Hi Granny...enjoy your new fountains. Excellent bargain. They sound pretty.

My car looks like a traveling side show with all my storytelling and puppet gear. I totally can relate.

I almost dug my first swap plant today. I've decided to wait until April!!

Beverly

o

Is there any interest in Rose of Sharon seedlings? I'm starting to tidy up the beds and I have a lot of volunteers. These are the typical lavender with a maroon eye variety.

o

Hi all,
I am asking a request for an AloeVera plant or some starts,
I'll trade plants for some too,
some of you know my Dad has lung cancer,
these days it seems everyone is related to someone or knows someone who has this dreadful disease,
he has had Chemo and now we found out it has traveled to his brain.
So he had radiation for his brain today,
and for a few weeks prior,
he had to take a break for a week because his
poor bald head, face and ears are burned from the radiation so I took some aloe over from my plant, well he wouldn't use it because he was afraid to,
like 'Holy Cow, what would the Drs. say?'
'Those darn Perry County Hillbillys.'
so yesterday one of the techs mentioned Aloe vera being good for burns, and my Mom heard him,
so she said 'What about the plant form?'
He said 'Oh, that's the best, if you can get some!'
so now my Dad will try it,
so I want to keep as much of this growing for him as I can.
He has been such a trooper through all of this.
But it is getting the best of him, he is still fighting..
not bed ridden, knows everyone but is forgetful,
but so am I! his appetite was good but now is not so good.
His legs are weak and don't want to carry him, but still refuses to use a walker or even a cane. Stubborn!!
So if anyone else is getting burned from radiation,
give them an Aloe Vera plant!!!!
Thanks for letting me bend your ear!!
Hostalavista Babee, linda.........

o

Oh my, Hostalavista..I am so, so sorry to hear about your dad's illness and what he is going through at this time. Oh goodness... I'll keep him in my heart and prayers and certainly wish him well.

On a happy spring note..I potted my first plants for the swap today!! Two cranesbill sanguinium got potted up. I am on my way!!

The count is 84 folks that have shown interest in the swap. Fun.

Think spring...think swap!!

Beverly

o

• Posted by ohgeo Z6 NE OH (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 15:42

Hostalavista,

I have a nice sized Aloe for you. send me an email - gfwengler at yahoo dot com.

George

o

Margie:

Wind Dancer Grass is an Erogrostis and the common name is love grass. And its a very beautiful grass too. Jacquie went to the Fall Swap with you I think Margie and not the Spring Swap < smiles >
However... if you have any of the Wind Dancer left to spare please let me know as I'd love to trade you something for it!!! < laughing >

Sue

o

Sue,
Of course I will share all the Wind Dancer you want.
Need not ask, Anything I've got! You've got!!!
Thanks for the info,on the Wind Dancer Grass.I knew if anyone would know the botonical name it would be you,Your so knowledgeable in the field of Grasses and I can barely remember the names of ???.((Grins)) I know Jacquie and I brought 2 flats of the Grass to the fall swap, And I apologize Hostavistalavista if I gave you the wrong information on the grass you took home.It didn't occur to me that someone else may have brought 2 flats of grass to the spring swap as well.But no matter,If anyone got the grass from the fall swap and the tags were gone, Now you know the name of it.
I really Am trying hard to remember all the names of the plants I bring to the swap and and grow at home.But Hmmm---- "What Was I Saying"!!?

Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures
May you Have Many Yesterdays!!!

o

Hostalavista,
With all the loving and caring people in the world.And, Alot of them now knowing your situation, I have a feeling your going to have more Aloe Vera plants then you can carry and keep you from any worries.I know how much I used when I burned my hand with a glue gun.Not to mention how much we used on my husband when he burned his stomach.It was a really bad burn and we used almost the whole plant.Even though Aloe is very good for burns,It takes a good deal to help with the pain and the healing of the skin.You have to re apply over and over to make a difference.
And with your dad getting treatments on a regular basics, Your definitely going to need more then one plant.So, I will have a Aloe Vera plant with your name on it.You can't have enough.

REMEMBER;
SOMEONES ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT YOU
((THAT WOULD BE ME))

o

Folks, plants are popping up all over the place and some are division ready right now. Today, I am potting up some Bakemom Phlox - for lack of a better name. This is a phlox that blooms early spring, perennial and is neither the creeping carpets nor the later garden phlox. ( it is NOT hesperis). It's purple and about 10 inches tall. I really love it and enjoy sharing it. So, some are coming your way.

Are you finding anything division ready right now?

o

Hostalavista, I am so sorry to hear about your Father. My sister is still trying to get over her Chemo Treatments. Her legs and fingers are numb and it is very hard for her to walk. She will get up and try to walk to the bathroom and never knows when her knees will give out and she will fall. However, the good news is that they have the cancer stopped.
You people are all ahead of here in zone 5 MI. We have a few items poking up but not many yet. It is too cold.
All my Heuchera have heaved during the winter and look bad. I have dug them in and hope they come along now. The daylilies are all starting to poke up and the Hellobores are blooming.
Have not decided what I will dig for the swap yet, but know I have a lot that I want to divide.
I can't wait to get out and start working in the beds.
Betty

o

Hagey;
That's wonderful news about your sister's cancer being in remission!!! I'm so happy for you and your family!!!I'm sorry to hear about her numbness and walking situation.But at least as you said "The Cancer has stopped"I have kept you in my thoughts and prayers.I wish I could give you and Hostalavista a big---HUG!!!!
I'm hoping the swap will make you two feel a little better. You know,Take your mind of things,And keep you busy for a while.
I know how looking at beautiful flowers can sooth me and take me somewhere else when I'm feeling blue, If only for a day, Or even for a few hours.
"On a lighter note"
I'll Be Looking Forward To Seeing ((YOU BOTH))!! and get ready for those ((BIG HUGS))!!!
I'll Bring You Some Beautiful African Blue Basil.To Give You Both A Boost!! Smells Wonderful!!

o

Linda and Betty:

Well you know....there are a great many doctors involved in gardening. I know a gardening heart surgeon who switched to being an OBGYN. I asked him why he became a gardener and he said dont you know? Its emotional therapy for us. alot of us doctors are gardeners. i stopped being a heart surgeon and switched to being an OBGYN for the same reason i garden. i decided id rather bring life into this world and care for it to grow into a mature healthy life and be able to see it thrive rather than be helpless to stop it from leaving. Gardening gives me a sense that i have some loving life giving control over the precious gift of life. It reminds me that there are always miracles in life and times when miracles happen against all odds... just as in gardening! and it reminds me that there is a God out there who is making sense out of it all after all. Never never abandon your faith in God.

It doesnt always work but it does give me hope and a belief in tomorrow.

So just as God grants us the courage to change the things that we can and the serenity to accept the things that we cannot.... take comfort in your gardening...how ever humble it may be. God has his reasons.

(and this is the main reason why i chose my signature saying when i first saw it too.... as of course i could not help but recall his words of wisdom.)

sue

o

Hey Efrosty1,
Loved the animated picture and envy anyone who can do that.Meant to say something before now.Look forward to seeing more.

o
RE: brugs

Efrosty:

Joanne(think dirt)is very knowledgeable about brugs. why dont you shoot her an email and ask her opinion about your bug problem? I'm sure she'd be glad to see if she can help you figure out what to do.

Sue

o
Fun time

OH MY!!

I JUST FOUND A GIANT!! RED!! BEAN!! STOCK!!

GROWING IN MY BACKYARD!!!!

DON'T I WISH!!

(((april fools)))

GOTCHA!!!

May You Have Many Yesterdays

o

Hello !!
Thank you all for thinking about my Dad, all this positive thinking and the prayers will help, I'm sure.
Betty glad your sister is in remission, I hope the next report would say the same thing for Dad. Right now they are giving him a 10 day rest, then MRI on the brain to see if the radiation helped or hopefully stopped the spread. Then back to chemo, but that could change..
George I tried to respond to your Aloe plant offer but couldn't get through, could be my computer this morning, darn thing is so slow. I'll be glad to get it, as well as yours Granny, others may want some of these too.
Sue, I'm glad you told us about the Dr. growing a garden, I just love getting out there, messing with the plants, digging in the dirt and even pulling the weeds, although looking at my yard you'd never think I pulled any weeds! Also thanks for the info on the Wind Dancer Grass, and it was the Fall Swap when I got it... love it too, so thanks Granny and Jaquie. I might even get some more of that!
Bakemom, I gotta have some of your Bakemom phlox too, I have some of the tall phlox but it gets mildew every year. So I won't be bringing that along.
NOT funny about the Giant Bean Stock, Granny, your the only one that got us on April Fools Day.
I did pot up some Blackberry Lily and Candy Lily for the swap, looks like I'll have Blue Fescue and usually have Mimosa trees as well as Rose of Sharon, last year I bundled these up in newspaper as 5 or 10 plants each, they really make a nice hedge row and you can trim them any height, I trimmed some around 3 feet where we park, you can back up and see them in the mirrors of your vehicle, so you know when to stop, and if you back into them, not to worry, their tough boogers.
As far as the cold this year, I don't think it was that bad, but we have lost trees from decay and wind damage, seems like I'm loosing my shade. But I already have some places I'm looking at that I didn't think of before this all happened, guess there were trees growing in other places while all this was happening.
Happy Gardening, the swap is next month you know!!
Yippee!!!!!!!!

o

Hostalavista..I am glad the doctors are giving your dad a bit of a rest. Sounds like he needs it.

It's amazing to know that the swap IS next month. LOVE IT!

I've been browsing around and seeing many things to pot up: Becky shasta daisy, daylilies, blue queen salvia, various cranesbills, black eyed susies, allium, stinkin'hellebores, japanese iris, asters - the list keeps growing.

I spoke with Michigan Betty last night. She and Ron and getting excited about the swap too.

Happy spring everyone....Beverly

o

hi, everyone. just checking in, and seeing what everyone is doing and bringing.. is anyone interested in goblin blanket flowers?
Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

o

Hi all!

I haven't checked this post for a while. Boy! A lot has been happening!

Linda- So sorry to hear about your dad! We will keep him and your family in our prayers. I wish I had an aloe for you!

We're almost up to 100 posts on this thread and it's still about 6 weeks 'til the swap! If that isn't ants in the pants I don't know what is!

Can't wait to see you all!

~~Mimi

o

Hey you guys.....only six weeks until the swap!!!

Wooohoooo!!!!!!

Beverly

o

There is not much up in the garden yet. We had 31 this morning and so many plants have not started to surface yet.
I do have some things up that I know I would like to bring.
Leopard's Bane
Columbine
Russian Sage
Jacob's Ladder
Hesperis - Dames Rocket

I have a lot of Mertensia (Virginia Bluebells)but by May 20th they might be all bloomed out and dormant. Do you think I should bring some, as I want to pot them up now when they are small? We have too many in the garden and I am afraid they will just take over the garden. Beverly and Mimi what do you think?
I am anxious to start potting plants.
Betty

o

Hi Betty...Nice list, so far!! I would bring the Virginia Bluebells. Folks love them! Just mark them as going dormant. I think, yes.

I am getting excited about the swap, too!!

Beverly

o

sundrops
buttercups
daisy
low creeper sedums
small leaf low creeper
orange ditch lily
Grape Hyacinths
Image hosting by Photobucket

anyone interested in any of these? i'm afraid my little guys will be to small.. they aren't very big lol

o

Hi Efrosty! I'd love all of the creeper sedums that I can get! I have a long mound that bakes in the sun and I need to get it covered. Bakemom (aka Karen) shared lots last year but the more I plunk the faster it gets covered! I'm sure that other folks will be interested in your other offerings!

Betty! "So far..." is right! I know how you and Ron are! I don't have any Virginia Bluebells and I lived in ole Virginny ofr three years! I might just have to rectify that situation! Hope you two are well!

I have not yet begun to dig! Don't worry. I've got lots of Winter Sown babies and other goodies that I'll get to as soon as claw foot bath tub is on it's feet. I need to get it filled with "lasagna"(No, Margie! Not for the potluck. For the composting!) so that it will be ready for some lovelies I get at the swap!!!

If anyone has anything that has white flowers or white varigaed foliage I'm looking to plant my tub full of flower "bubbles"! Please, let me know so that I can make a point of snagging some of those plants at the swap.

I'm so excited!

~~Mimi

o

Cool idea, Mimi! How 'bout Foam Flower?

I've got two more people coming. My sister is coming up from Cincinnati with Halcyon hosta. Last night I potted up 10 scented geraniums and 4 Dancing Fairies and I brought out all the canna bulbs I've had in cold storage -- they're all coming up.

All this and I've got more WS containers than ever before, and they're all coming up gangbusters!

I told my sister to drive the station wagon, and my friend to bring her truck....

o

Efrosty...folks will be interested in all of your plants. Bring 'em on! It will be fun.

Alison - your scented geraniums sound so good. I am glad your friends are coming too. The more the merrier! What are Dancing Fairies(love the name!)

Gee wizzz...we have some 88 folks interested in attending the swap. Love it.

I've potted up some Blue Queen Salvia and Cranesbill, so far. I am trying to get some done everyday.

Beverly

o

Thanks Mimi,
For setting me straight on the Lasagnaing of the footed bathtub!!I sure wouldn't want to think I could eat it.((Snicker))
Like I did the BB'S(Bowling Balls Covered in Pennies)
Thinking that was computer slang for BBQ sandwiches!
That was a rib cracker for me!!LOL!!
You may be interested in the Sedum I have if your wanting to fill in a space quickly.And I have the variegated Bishops Weed if your interested.Invasive in the sun,Not so much in the shade. I am a collector of sorts in the ground covers.I have quite a few. I will bring as many as I can. See you soon.

May You Have many tomorrows!!!

o
Efrosty1

BTW Efrosty1,
LOVE THE RABBIT!!!

Todays memories Are Tomorrows Treasures
May You Have many Yesterdays!!!

o

Bev, it's Streptocarpus sometimes called Cape primrose. Thick, fuzzy, deep green leaves and deep lavender-blue flowers that dangle from long thin stems, like wires. Super easy to grow altho' mine didn't much care for low indoor winter light.

o

Got
Bakemom Phlox
Red Bleeding hearts
White bleeding hearts
Lupins

Trying to get solidago to accept potting up. I intend to be done with potting up by 4/30 to get the shock worn off and to determine who will live.

Foam Flower should be a hit. Perhaps I will try and divide mine too. Thinking of Toad lily as well.

Also, it's secretary's week next week and she will get first pick of my dainties. Our secretary is the best in the world and has amazing adventures maintaing a pond southeast of Columbus. I have some winter sown babies for her too. We'll see what I can pot up.

o

I think the plant pictured is actually streptocarpella, the streptocarpus has a longer, thicker leaf, although this is in the same family.

I will have some Lysimachia "firecracker" and some caryopteris "blue mist". I don't know what else...it depends what makes it from my ws transplanting and in looking around to see what else I can scare up.

Folks, don't be afraid to bring some of your common plants. As I have said before, I moved down last summer from CT and have a BLANK SLATE. I'm making lasagne beds like crazy. While I brought divisions from CT from a lot, I have 3/4 of an acre to play with and I can't afford to bring it up all at once. Plus, I intentionally left some of my more common stuff behind thinking I could pick it up here someplace, but when you don't know a soul, it's tough to start asking for divisions!!! I also am disgusted that some of the iris I bought (yes, I succombed to Springhill) didn't make it through the winter....4 out of six Gypsy Caravan are deader than a doornail, and I'm going to have to try to get them to refund/replace. Now if only the wind will die down so I'm not breathing/eating composted manure and peatmoss!

Does anyone have Donkeytail spurge (One of the euphorbias which has a blue leaf and doesn't leap/bound as much as some of the others) to share? This is a common, older plant which I really liked and much to my dismay, the starts I brough croaked through neglect last summer. I found I couldn't strip wallpaper, unpack, clean, paint and garden all at once. I tried...but.....

hostalavista, my thoughts are with your dad. I'm a stage 4 (2nd time) b.c. survivor who has been through the wringer but the last go-around was 6 years ago....only now OSU has lost ALL of my MRI, CT, Bonescans and mamms and won't return my calls....and I had to switch oncologists after the guy in Dublin (yes, I was driving 1 1/2 hours for a visit) left me sitting in the exam room in a paper sheet for three hours twice, and hasn't bothered to explain why my tumor indicators are elevated or even talk to me about it. GRRRRRR.

o

Folks..I have some of the Bakemom Phlox - it's a really prety spring bloomer. Bakemom...you've got a great selection going on! Can't wait. Yes, indeed - give that secretary first picks. Those ladies are the heart and circulatory system of the office!! (they keep things flowing)

Michigoose...I'll be bringing some common things. Lots of folks do. Oh my goodness...I am so sorry to hear about OSU loosing your files/test results. To add insult - I doctor leaving you that long in a peice of paper twice is awful. I hope they can get things straightened out. I wish you well in this - and a good progression to excellent health!!! Yes, I think you need some Plant Swap therapy. It's the best thing for what ails anyone!! ((Michigoose))

Think spring...thing swap!..Beverly

o

My solidagos all croaked. They had runners with roots attched and I thought they would take to transplant in gentle miracle gro, but they don't look good. The main clump looks healthy as a horse. Do I have to simply attack the main clump? I want some divisions for me too.

Anyone want rudbeckia laciniata? It's the 6 foot ruds with green eyes aka outhouse flower.

I have a grey spurge that is larger and not invasive. It's getting ready to bloom now and I have babies that pop up here and there. I would be happy to pot some up, but I must warn that the sap is irritating to some and I had a really nasty breakout from it, but I'm allergic to darn near everything.

Also, I am planning some first year perennials from seed for fall swap and am busy potting them up for gentle summer care and fall distribution.

o

Mimi - We will have a pot of Virginia Bluebells for you. We also want to have a tour of your garden on Friday afternoon when we finish viewing Beverly's garden. Is there anything else on your wish list?
Alison - Save a scented geranium and one of the Dancing Fairies for me. I can just about hear one of the kids asking about the Fairies. We really enjoy the kids when they smell the scented geranium. The kids are helping with another gardn this year in the Demo area.
Beverly - you will get a kick out of this. Logan the three year old came over the other day while we were cleaning up the garden, and asked Ron. Where is your Mother, so he said right over there. He told me he was hungry and asked if I had a cookie. Mitchell the five year old asked me if I was hiding Easter Eggs for Ron when it is Easter. I told Mitchell I am not sure Ron has been good.
I did pot some of the following today:
Columbine
Celandine Poppy
Oriental Poppy
Jacob's Ladder
Iris Bearded - lost the names on these Mimi.
Blue Spring Beauties
Lupine
The hostas are starting to poke through the ground.
Can't wait to see everyone.

o

Hi Plant Diva's and Divo's,
We are all a bunch of crazy plant lovers aren't we??
Michgoose, so sorry about your being left sitting for 3 hours, just a few minutes is awful, I think I would be fuming out the door...
And their loosing your records! What bad luck, hope they find all your records and I'm so glad to hear that it has been 6 years. That's great.
Today I met my Dad and Mom to see the Dr. we got pretty good news, the lesion on Dad's lung is smaller and so are the spots on his brain, they are going to give him 3 months off of treatments, I am worried about this but the Dr. said maybe he will have a quality summer, and he will never be cured, hopefully it has stopped growing, but he did not mention remission.. this worrys me, maybe the Dr's are giving up. Don't know for sure, might ease Dad's mind to just have the summer off and if he notices any differences what-so-ever we are to contact the doc.
Thank you everyone for your concern, you have all been so kind and it helped me to be able to let others know.
Tomorrow we are having an easter egg hunt for three little great grand daughters, ages 3, 4, and 5.... This was Dad's idea and I hope he is up to it, he is still weak and dizzy, but the Doc. said he has been through alot with all the treatments... Kids make you feel good...

So far for the swap, I have Blackberry Lily, Candy Lily, Blue Fescue, White Lilac (hopefully), havn't dug the Mimosa yet, theres more but can't remember.
I'd like a bit of Alison's strep ta ca ca or what ever it is, I love it...
Betty, hosta's are just peeking through for me too, don't know if I have any different ones than last year, didn't get any that I can think of, my mind is a blank...
Later, I'm ready!! Hostalavista.....

o

OO - Betty, you've got some pretties potted up already. I love the stories about the children next store. Oh come on...you can hide a few eggs for Ron! Wouldn't the kids love it!!! I am glad to hear some children will be helping in the demonstration garden. Folks - Betty and Ron take care of a huge demonstration garden in urban Lansing, Michigan. It's an amazing place. They put so much time and effort into this spot. It is an amazing place where folks can learn about gardening and enjoy it's beautiful contents. From veggies to perennials - truely wonderful. Betty and Ron are my role model for what retirement can be. This is beside their amazing home garden full of hostas and loads of other wonderful plants. They are always willing to share plants with folks and help people get started with gardening.

Linda Hostalavista - I am glad the docs are giving your dad a few monthes off. Perhaps, he needs a bit of time to feel better. I bet he'll enjoy the Easter Egg hunt witht he Grandkids. YOu've got a good list going too! What fun.

I've dug up about 26 things so far:
several different cranesbill
lavendar munstead
red husker penstemon
lady's mantle
new england aster
aster prof. kippenberg
others

Can't wait!

Beverly

o

FOOD FOOD! What are you all bringing? I'm bringing Cabbage Patch Slaw!

o

Yum...cabbage patch slaw sounds good! I am bringin what we call cold noodle salad..It's on oriental cold salad made with thin spagetti, green onions, cukes in a dressing of peanut butter, sesame oil, tamari, a touch of hot sauce, fresh garlic and more. It's yummy.

Anyone else? Mimi..are you bringing Cavatini (I hope!!)

Beverly

o

Hi guys,

I will be there with my Mother-in-law and a sister-in-law or two. Maybe even a daughter. I will probably bring some glass stuff. I am thinking of digging up some mountain bluets, beautiful flowers but they spread a lot. I may get some Jack in the pulpets but since my knee replacement I am not sure if I am up to digging them (deep roots). I would love to get a purple clematis to replace one that died. I also need two or three flowering shade plants, white bleeding hearts maybe? Would any one want moon flowers Dateris I think, I should have a ton of them if they come back from seed again.

o

Reading these posts about cancer and illness has really made me appreciate the fact that my family and I are all doing well. My thoughts are with you and your families!

Well what a beautiful weekend! I'm having a little trouble getting motivated today so I'm going through the GW postings. Everything looks so wonderful and fresh this time of year! I'm starting to make my list of things to dig for the swap but it's a little too wet in the beds to do much digging. I will post a list of things I plan to bring later.

Betty - I can bring some Daylilies to the swap if you're interested and we can do a DL/Hosta swap again! The hostas I got from you last year are doing just great I can see their little noses poking up through the ground now! :) If you e-mail me, I can give you a list of some DLs I know I can divide and I'll check to see if there are others. I don't remember what I traded you last year so if I put it on the list again I apologize! :D

o

Hi Swappers!

Michigoose! I'll bring you a hunk of 'everyone iris' as a welcome to Ohio gift! It's a purple one-dark striped falls and lavender stands, yellow beard, smallish flowers. It got it's name because it covered the enitire side of Beverly's house when she moved in. After sharing it 'everyone' had some! You can't be left out! You have had a rough time and a little flower therapy is always good for the soul. I'll have other things too.

Alison-foam flowers would be great in my tub! I got it out to the yard and all "lasagnaed" up yesterday. I want it to settle first so that I can top it off before planting. Should be ready to plant soon.

Granny (aka Margie) You crack me up! I am trying to stick to creeping sedums as my mound BAKES in the sun and I've had good luck with succulents there. I'd love what ever you might bring! Your white tall sedum from the fall swap has a place reserved for it in the tub.

OK! OK! I'll bring something cheesy, saucey and Italian in my big ol' roaster! I bet you all would never let me hear the end of it if didn't! (Well...Mr. Murray, Beverly's husband wouldn't!)

I bet that Tomato Dave will have some goodies for my DH! I still haven't started potting yet. I need to finish my friends belly dancing costume for her show in Saturday and my son's tap dance costume for his recital but I plan on getting started SOON!

~~Mimi

o

Mimi- you rock!

o

Hi,
It's finally warming up & spring rains. Things grow so fast. I have potted up the following:
bishops weed hosta white db peny
Lots of rooted pussy willow bushes..they are easy to root.

Does anyone have any idea for a potting bench?? I have used a lg desk with a old door standing behind it. I need a new desk or some other garden junk for a large potting bench. Or any place to buy a lg nice bench?

Can't wait for a swap. I have alot more to dig up.
garden cottage diane garrett

o

Hi Beverly, Mimi and all! I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to let you know that my mother and I will be coming to the swap. I've been busy potting and have plenty just waiting for the trip.

Michigoose, I have Ephorbia myrsinites that is germinating right now - will be happy to pot some up for you. They won't be real big by the plant swap, but I think they move best when they're in the seedling stage anyway.

Jeanne

o

HI Diane...good to hear your coming to the swap! Great! I know folks will love those plants!

Hi Jeanne...I was hoping to hear from you! YAY..glad you and your mom will attend. It would be the same without you!

Hi Shadowgarden! I think of you often when I look at my beautiful glass pretties! We all love them. I hope you find a purple clematis at the swap. Thanks.

Mimi..glad you hear about the Cavatini..you're right - Murray might not speak to you if you didn't bring it! LOL

Folks...we have broken the hundred mark for folks that are interested in attending. We are at 101. What fun!!

Happy diggin' to you...Beverly

o

Sing this to the tune of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"!

One hundred and one folks will come to the swap.
One hundred and one folks will come.
So get your plants down and pass food around.
One hundred and one folks will come!

Tee Hee!

~~Mimi

o

Michelle, her mom, the kids, and I are planning on being there. I am not sure what all I will be bringing this year, but I won't have any tomato plants. I just didn't get around to starting them. I will be dividing some of my grasses this spring. I started working on my Zebra Grass the other day with a sledge hammer and a spade and almost got my first division off of it. With a little more work I should have a few divisions of it to bring.
One plant that I am looking for is Wisteria. I haven't noticed it at the swaps in the past, but if anyone is planing on bringing any, let me know.
It will be nice to see everyone again, and meet new gardeners.
James

o

I'm planning on coming this year. Last year was my first time, and I had a great time (I was the one with a service dog in training). Most of the additions I swapped seem to have survived the winter!!

I am wondering if any of you are planning on bringing any tomato, pepper (hot & sweet), basil, onion plants? I got pregnant sooner than I expected to (!!!), and my first trimester has coincided with seed starting. Needless to say, seed starting took a back seat and I got nada done. For those of you who Winter sow... I was too sick/tired to even do much in the way of WSing =( So, please send me an email if you're interested in doing a trade while at Hilliard!!!

See ya next month!
-Stephanie

o

Hi Gardengirl17! Glad you're coming to the swap! I emailed Betty and told her to email you - just in case she doesn't get a chance to check this thread.

Mimi..you're a hoot..great tune!

Hi James...glad to hear you and the gang are coming to the swap. It's always fun to see you and see how much the children have grown. I saw Dave and Char..they said they plan to attend and should have some tomatoes. Others bring them too. Did I get a yellow cherry tomato from you called Juan Pedro - or something like that?

Think spring...Beverly

o
RE: Happy Spring

Hi Stephanie...so glad you're coming to the swap again. Congrats on your pregnancy. I totally understand how one can not get things done when first pregnant. Usually folks have the plants you've requested at the swap - I just wintersowed some tomatoes and basil - if they grow and I don't kill them off, I'll let you know. LOL

Take care........Beverly

o

Whoo-hoo! I potted up some cosmos today, so now I can come to the swap! This is really my first year gardening, so I may or may not have something living to bring. I don't have the exciting stuff that you "old-timers" have but I'm just looking forward to meeting a bunch of you. I'll probably be dragging the hubby along.

Stephanie, my serrano peppers are just sprouting and I have three sprouts so far. I only need two or three bushes, so if I have extras I'll be sure to bring them. I also planted poblano seeds but no action from them yet.

o

I've been walking around my garden thnking what I can bring this year. So far I see goatsbeard, at least 6 different named sedums/stonecrops,Japanese anemone, Blue Hills Salvia, CENTAUREA montana 'Gold Bullion', Palace Purple heuchera and maybe a couple others, some named hostas, my small dark purple iris just one more time, plus whatever else I find between now and then. I'll make a small collection of the sedums for a door prize if anyone thinks that would be a good idea.
Just a month until the swap. Im really anticipating the fun.

o

Mao Tse Mom-- good to hear from you! I'm sure that a sedum collection will be a great door prize! I'm looking for all of the sedum groundcover I can get my grubby little hands on. I have a looooong mound to cover.

Congrats on your pregnancy Stephanie! You know that I TOTALLY understand how zonked one can get when you're pregnant.

James, Michelle and family I cna't wait to see you all. I bet that GIRL will be toddling everywhere and Noah will be huge!

Silver Lining-Welcome! We love to have newcomers. You may find that what you have is just what someone is looking for. I brought some seedlings to the first swap and grouped them so that at least one should survive for folks. I Winter Sowed 20 things this year so I'll be bringing soem this year.

I also found a pair of head and foot boards to make a bench out of. I hope to get it done for a door prize. Any suggestions on paint color(s)? Well, I'd better get sewing that costume so that I can get out there and get potting!

See ya soon!

~~Mimi

o

Another welcome to Silverlining and mao_tse_mom!!

mao_tse_mom-I agree with Mimi - your idea of a pot of many sedum will be a wonderful door prize. Thanks!

Silverlining..SO glad you are joining us this year!

Folks..I just found out that my neighbor, Karen, is making more hypertufa pots for the swap. Yippeee! I love them.

Hold on to you hat - we've got 111 people interested in attending this year. Wowzer!

Think spring...think swap...Beverly

o

For what it's worth I'm bringing the following tomatoes, most of which are heritage:

Brandywine (Suddith strain)- This is a strain that many believe is the original Brandywine. Excellent flavor! Days: 85, one of Gardenweb's tomato forums (and my) highest rated tomatoes

Green Zebra - 2-inch round fruit ripens to a yellow-gold with dark-green zebra-like stripes. Zesty taste, 75 days.

Marianna's Peace - 1-2 lb. beautiful, pink beefsteaks. Dense, creamy, sweet flesh with rich complex, old tomatoey flavors. 85 days one of highest rated at Gardenweb and by me!

Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red - Fruit has robust, "not for sissies," bold, tomatoey flavors, with a firm, juicy flesh - 78 days to maturity. This one is new to me but sound's good. I like a tomato that talks back!

Stupice Early - Early, dependable, firm, juicy, medium size fruit, Approximately 60 days

Ernie's Round - Perfect pink fruits at 16oz, Good flavor. Days: 80

I'm also going to bring some grasses.

o

Oooooooo! Yummy 'maters! My DH, Lee is thrilled. He's already scheming on some of those Early Stupice and a few others!

I'm digging some Alaskan Shasta Daisies, pink and yellow yarrow, mixed columbine, Palace Purple Heuchera, various day lilles and irises. I'll bring what ever seems like it will make it (the herbs look good!) from my 26 winter sowing jugs. I'm sure I'll find other things as I go along.

One month and counting!

~~Mimi

o

Mimi,
Your Hysterical!!!Love the tune!!-----Can't get it out of my head!!

Hi James,Hi Michelle,
Can't wait to see you two and the children, Naomi and Noah again . Bet they have grown a foot since we've seen them last. Little Doll babies!! Just wanted to say hi to you all.

James , Michelle, The Golden Nuggets Laminum is doing great that I got from you last year.I'd love to have a little more if you can spare some.

See you all soon!!

Todays Memories are Tomorrows Treasures

o

Ooo..Sunbury Girl..that's a great selection of 'maters. Yum...and thanks. I know folks will love having them as a swap option.

FOUR WEEKS UNTIL SWAPPIN' TIME ..I can hardly wait.

Beverly

o

eeek! Gotta pot up them puppies! Can't wait.....almost scheduled something else on the 20th by mistake.

Oh...and the "remission" thing....some doctor's don't like to use the word "remission" as it gives the concept of "cure." People who have certain cancers, breast cancer being one of them, are considered to never be cured as the disease may come back at any time. "Remission" to some folks equates "cure," even though technically it means no discernable sign of disease. I like to think of living with a chronic illness....which hopefully won't flare up again.... anywho...that's how I understand it, and I've been trying to understand it for 12 years! :) Many hugs to all you survivors out there, whether you have the disease or are a supporter of one who does...t'aint fun....

Meanwhile, I'll continue to slug manure around! and whatever little plant offerings I can come up with...........

and I still haven't figured out what to bring...so much good food....:)

o

Michigoose...good grief!! Don't schedule something else - that would be awful. We all want to meet you!

Well, I've been digging and potting (so the plants don't look droopy that day). I have 60 things ready for the swap at this time.This is what I have so far:

Ferns
3 kinds of asters
Blue Hill Salvia
Clematis
Hellebore Foetitis
2 kinds of cranesbill
lavender
phlox paniculata
Red Husker Penstemon
2 kinds of roses
oat grass
light pink mums
coreopsis tripteris
Rudbeckia herbstone

I'll be digging up some black eyed susies, too. Probably a few more things along the way.

Darn...LESS that 4 weeks away (today is Sunday!).

take care...Beverly

o

Spent the weekend planting out some of my wintersown seedlings, and potting some up for the swap. I'm a little overwhelmed by the ratio -- for example, I sowed a half a pan with 4:00, but really only needed 6-7 plants!

A friend of mine is looking for some nice lamium. She fell in love with several varieties at the DeMoynes sale -- Beason Silver, Pink Nancy, White Nancy, and some yellow leaved variety with a white stripe down the center of the leaf.

I'd like to pick her up a bunch of it for her front yard -- if someone's got it perhaps we can set up a side trade? I'll have tons of WS plants, and a few big things; some royal standard hosta, the varigated hosta I bring every year and a blue hosta -- Halcyon, I think. I also have some cannas potted up; Rosamund Coles, Richard Wallage and Wyoming.

The same friend is also looking for big-leaf ligularia.

Thought I'd put out those specific requests while everyone is potting up!

o

Alison, I have tons and tons of beautiful varigated lamium with the yellow blooms. With my family attending Race for the Cure that day, would it be easier for your friend to drop by after the swap or anytime really and take all she wants? I have to thin it out this season and would welcome the thinning help.

Think about it and let me know.

o
Lamium

Alison, I have tons and tons of beautiful varigated lamium with the yellow blooms. With my family attending Race for the Cure that day, would it be easier for your friend to drop by after the swap or anytime really and take all she wants? I have to thin it out this season and would welcome the thinning help.

Think about it and let me know.

o

That would be great Karen; I'll ask her. The problem is she won't be able to make it to the swap (a church retreat, I think) so I'm doing some surrogate shopping. But the more lamium the merrier! Or the lamiumier.....

o

Lamiumer...love it!!! Surrogate shopping sounds like fun.

Wow...just a few weeks away.

A question...would folks be willing to take 30 minute sessions at the sign in table. Just to help people figure it all out that are new. Last year...Alison signed up and no one releived her. (that wasn't fair...we won't let that happen to anyone again!)

Really, the sign in is just for our records..how to get hold of folks for the next swap. How many people attended ... how many plants. Mimi and I are not the plant police, the trading is done on the honor system.

Let me know. Thanks...

Beverly

o

Hi ya Beverly,

With all the people that are coming in our group I'm sure we can support several 20-30 minute segments at THE TABLE. We'll just nag and scream when we want relief! We're all good at that!

Nancy, Karen and all the rest

o

I picked these up at the swap last year and they've done really well for me. I'm probably going to divide them next spring, but I'd like to know their names before I pass them along to someone else.

Anybody recognize these dwarf (8-12") iris?

o

HI,all! This is my first time posting myself. James ususally does it.
Granny we will be bringing some of the Gold Nuggets Lamium with us.
Allison we should have a few starts if your friend wants some. It is gold with a white stripe down the middle and has I think pinkish purple flowers. It stays nice all winter. We got the original from Franklin Park Conservatory.
Bev James doesn't remember bringing that type of tomato.
The poppies and lavender sound good to me.
We have been out potting and weeding this morning.
We have ready to go...

golden tiara hostas
bressingham blue hosta
stilletto hosta
un named varieties of hosta
centuria montana
zebra grass
dwarf zebra grass
gold nuggets lamium
anne greenaway lamium
lilacs(white)
ostrich ferns
japanese painted ferns
vinca minor varigated
stargazer lilies
crimson pixie lilies
crimson pirate daylily
and probably a few more things. We have a small swap in Stasburg the week before. I also sent the swap info to my brother who had some people from his church interested.
Can't wait to see you all...
Michelle

o

Hi Michelle,
First time for everything!!! I think you did a great job for your first time posting. Good to hear from you.
That's great that you'll be bringing more of the Gold Nuggets.I really love it,I had the Golden leaved Laminum with white flowers and it was my favorite. But it either has reverted back to it's green color or it has died. Either way, The Golden Nuggets that I got from you last year, Loves where it's at and is doing wonderful.I would also like to get some of the Anne Greenaway from you. I love that one too. I will bring you something nice in return.
Give those beautiful children big hugs for me!!
See you soon!
Granny57

o

Sunbury Girl...THANKS so much for the offer of you and your clan to help at the sign in table. We won't let anyone be taking a turn for too long. Sure do appreciate it!!!!

Alison...I got that yellow one at the swap last spring..it was just marked 'dwarf yellow iris'. I hope you find out the names. It's nice to know. Wow..love the blue and white one - ask Mimi..I am a blue and white person (although not exclusively in the garden - just my other life).

Hi Michelle... nice to see your post. YOu've got a great list going on!! It will be fun to see you, James and the children. It's a fine tradition!!

THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY!! Yippeeee..

Beverly

o

Well, I guess you all will let me come now. I finally potted up some things just for the swap today! Sam, the 2 year old helped me to put some of my WS babies into four packs. I hope that you all will be able to read the tags. My handwriting (which is never good) has suffered since I smashed my finger (purple on both sides) today! Doesn't it just figure?!? Last year it was my elbow! I really need to become more graceful. Oy Vey! I guess that I can still handle a spade. I'll just have to figure out how to get a garden glove over the splint thingy!

Well, I'm going to put my finger to bed now, give it a Sabbath day of rest tomorrow and see how it goes on Monday.

Three weeks and counting!

~~Mimi

o

Mimi...you do have a bad boo boo for sure! I hope it heals quickly, friend.

I've made decision...this year - I will take the time to LOOK at the plants before swappin' time. Last year, there were so many wonderful friends to stop and talk to, that I never had a chance until right before Round One

Can hardly wait!

Beverly

o
carry on!

Folks...it's time to start a new thread. Garden swappers are realy "yackers" for sure. (in the best way, of course).

Carry on!!!

Beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here