Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 20, 2006

storygardener
18 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (also known as Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 20, 2006.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 20, 2006

Time: 10:00 am - 3:00pm

Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!! Also, mark any plants as invaisive or poisonous, if known)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name.

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Last year we had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

We must be out be 3:00 pm.

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.

Round One - pick one plant

Next Round - pick one plant

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick three plants

And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetary Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care & Sunshine Academy. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

We hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! We are contacting some of our gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Good gardening...

...Beverly & Mimi

Comments (150)

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Efrosty! I'd love all of the creeper sedums that I can get! I have a long mound that bakes in the sun and I need to get it covered. Bakemom (aka Karen) shared lots last year but the more I plunk the faster it gets covered! I'm sure that other folks will be interested in your other offerings!

Betty! "So far..." is right! I know how you and Ron are! I don't have any Virginia Bluebells and I lived in ole Virginny ofr three years! I might just have to rectify that situation! Hope you two are well!

I have not yet begun to dig! Don't worry. I've got lots of Winter Sown babies and other goodies that I'll get to as soon as claw foot bath tub is on it's feet. I need to get it filled with "lasagna"(No, Margie! Not for the potluck. For the composting!) so that it will be ready for some lovelies I get at the swap!!!

If anyone has anything that has white flowers or white varigaed foliage I'm looking to plant my tub full of flower "bubbles"! Please, let me know so that I can make a point of snagging some of those plants at the swap.

I'm so excited!

~~Mimi

• alison
    18 years ago

Cool idea, Mimi! How 'bout Foam Flower?

I've got two more people coming. My sister is coming up from Cincinnati with Halcyon hosta. Last night I potted up 10 scented geraniums and 4 Dancing Fairies and I brought out all the canna bulbs I've had in cold storage -- they're all coming up.

All this and I've got more WS containers than ever before, and they're all coming up gangbusters!

I told my sister to drive the station wagon, and my friend to bring her truck....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Efrosty...folks will be interested in all of your plants. Bring 'em on! It will be fun.

Alison - your scented geraniums sound so good. I am glad your friends are coming too. The more the merrier! What are Dancing Fairies(love the name!)

Gee wizzz...we have some 88 folks interested in attending the swap. Love it.

I've potted up some Blue Queen Salvia and Cranesbill, so far. I am trying to get some done everyday.

Beverly

• granny57
    18 years ago

Thanks Mimi,
    For setting me straight on the Lasagnaing of the footed bathtub!!I sure wouldn't want to think I could eat it.((Snicker))
    Like I did the BB'S(Bowling Balls Covered in Pennies)
    Thinking that was computer slang for BBQ sandwiches!
    That was a rib cracker for me!!LOL!!
    You may be interested in the Sedum I have if your wanting to fill in a space quickly.And I have the variegated Bishops Weed if your interested.Invasive in the sun,Not so much in the shade. I am a collector of sorts in the ground covers.I have quite a few. I will bring as many as I can. See you soon.

Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures
    May You Have many tomorrows!!!

• granny57
    18 years ago

BTW Efrosty1,
    LOVE THE RABBIT!!!

Todays memories Are Tomorrows Treasures
    May You Have many Yesterdays!!!

• alison
    18 years ago

Bev, it's Streptocarpus sometimes called Cape primrose. Thick, fuzzy, deep green leaves and deep lavender-blue flowers that dangle from long thin stems, like wires. Super easy to grow altho' mine didn't much care for low indoor winter light.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Got
    Bakemom Phlox
    Red Bleeding hearts
    White bleeding hearts
    Lupins

Trying to get solidago to accept potting up. I intend to be done with potting up by 4/30 to get the shock worn off and to determine who will live.

Foam Flower should be a hit. Perhaps I will try and divide mine too. Thinking of Toad lily as well.

Also, it's secretary's week next week and she will get first pick of my dainties. Our secretary is the best in the world and has amazing adventures maintaing a pond southeast of Columbus. I have some winter sown babies for her too. We'll see what I can pot up.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I think the plant pictured is actually streptocarpella, the streptocarpus has a longer, thicker leaf, although this is in the same family.

I will have some Lysimachia "firecracker" and some caryopteris "blue mist". I don't know what else...it depends what makes it from my ws transplanting and in looking around to see what else I can scare up.

Folks, don't be afraid to bring some of your common plants. As I have said before, I moved down last summer from CT and have a BLANK SLATE. I'm making lasagne beds like crazy. While I brought divisions from CT from a lot, I have 3/4 of an acre to play with and I can't afford to bring it up all at once. Plus, I intentionally left some of my more common stuff behind thinking I could pick it up here someplace, but when you don't know a soul, it's tough to start asking for divisions!!! I also am disgusted that some of the iris I bought (yes, I succombed to Springhill) didn't make it through the winter....4 out of six Gypsy Caravan are deader than a doornail, and I'm going to have to try to get them to refund/replace. Now if only the wind will die down so I'm not breathing/eating composted manure and peatmoss!

Does anyone have Donkeytail spurge (One of the euphorbias which has a blue leaf and doesn't leap/bound as much as some of the others) to share? This is a common, older plant which I really liked and much to my dismay, the starts I brough croaked through neglect last summer. I found I couldn't strip wallpaper, unpack, clean, paint and garden all at once. I tried...but.....

hostalavista, my thoughts are with your dad. I'm a stage 4 (2nd time) b.c. survivor who has been through the wringer but the last go-around was 6 years ago....only now OSU has lost ALL of my MRI, CT, Bonescans and mamms and won't return my calls....and I had to switch oncologists after the guy in Dublin (yes, I was driving 1 1/2 hours for a visit) left me sitting in the exam room in a paper sheet for three hours twice, and hasn't bothered to explain why my tumor indicators are elevated or even talk to me about it. GRRRRRR.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Folks..I have some of the Bakemom Phlox - it's a really prety spring bloomer. Bakemom...you've got a great selection going on! Can't wait. Yes, indeed - give that secretary first picks. Those ladies are the heart and circulatory system of the office!! (they keep things flowing)

Michigoose...I'll be bringing some common things. Lots of folks do. Oh my goodness...I am so sorry to hear about OSU loosing your files/test results. To add insult - I doctor leaving you that long in a peice of paper twice is awful. I hope they can get things straightened out. I wish you well in this - and a good progression to excellent health!!! Yes, I think you need some Plant Swap therapy. It's the best thing for what ails anyone!! ((Michigoose))

Think spring...thing swap!..Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

My solidagos all croaked. They had runners with roots attched and I thought they would take to transplant in gentle miracle gro, but they don't look good. The main clump looks healthy as a horse. Do I have to simply attack the main clump? I want some divisions for me too.

Anyone want rudbeckia laciniata? It's the 6 foot ruds with green eyes aka outhouse flower.

I have a grey spurge that is larger and not invasive. It's getting ready to bloom now and I have babies that pop up here and there. I would be happy to pot some up, but I must warn that the sap is irritating to some and I had a really nasty breakout from it, but I'm allergic to darn near everything.

Also, I am planning some first year perennials from seed for fall swap and am busy potting them up for gentle summer care and fall distribution.

• hagey
    18 years ago

Mimi - We will have a pot of Virginia Bluebells for you. We also want to have a tour of your garden on Friday afternoon when we finish viewing Beverly's garden. Is there anything else on your wish list?
    Alison - Save a scented geranium and one of the Dancing Fairies for me. I can just about hear one of the kids asking about the Fairies. We really enjoy the kids when they smell the scented geranium. The kids are helping with another gardn this year in the Demo area.
    Beverly - you will get a kick out of this. Logan the three year old came over the other day while we were cleaning up the garden, and asked Ron. Where is your Mother, so he said right over there. He told me he was hungry and asked if I had a cookie. Mitchell the five year old asked me if I was hiding Easter Eggs for Ron when it is Easter. I told Mitchell I am not sure Ron has been good.
    I did pot some of the following today:
    Columbine
    Celandine Poppy
    Oriental Poppy
    Jacob's Ladder
    Iris Bearded - lost the names on these Mimi.
    Blue Spring Beauties
    Lupine
    The hostas are starting to poke through the ground.
    Can't wait to see everyone.

• hostalavista
    18 years ago

Hi Plant Diva's and Divo's,
    We are all a bunch of crazy plant lovers aren't we??
    Michgoose, so sorry about your being left sitting for 3 hours, just a few minutes is awful, I think I would be fuming out the door...
    And their loosing your records! What bad luck, hope they find all your records and I'm so glad to hear that it has been 6 years. That's great.
    Today I met my Dad and Mom to see the Dr. we got pretty good news, the lesion on Dad's lung is smaller and so are the spots on his brain, they are going to give him 3 months off of treatments, I am worried about this but the Dr. said maybe he will have a quality summer, and he will never be cured, hopefully it has stopped growing, but he did not mention remission.. this worrys me, maybe the Dr's are giving up. Don't know for sure, might ease Dad's mind to just have the summer off and if he notices any differences what-so-ever we are to contact the doc.
    Thank you everyone for your concern, you have all been so kind and it helped me to be able to let others know.
    Tomorrow we are having an easter egg hunt for three little great grand daughters, ages 3, 4, and 5.... This was Dad's idea and I hope he is up to it, he is still weak and dizzy, but the Doc. said he has been through alot with all the treatments... Kids make you feel good...

So far for the swap, I have Blackberry Lily, Candy Lily, Blue Fescue, White Lilac (hopefully), havn't dug the Mimosa yet, theres more but can't remember.
    I'd like a bit of Alison's strep ta ca ca or what ever it is, I love it...
    Betty, hosta's are just peeking through for me too, don't know if I have any different ones than last year, didn't get any that I can think of, my mind is a blank...
    Later, I'm ready!! Hostalavista.....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OO - Betty, you've got some pretties potted up already. I love the stories about the children next store. Oh come on...you can hide a few eggs for Ron! Wouldn't the kids love it!!! I am glad to hear some children will be helping in the demonstration garden. Folks - Betty and Ron take care of a huge demonstration garden in urban Lansing, Michigan. It's an amazing place. They put so much time and effort into this spot. It is an amazing place where folks can learn about gardening and enjoy it's beautiful contents. From veggies to perennials - truely wonderful. Betty and Ron are my role model for what retirement can be. This is beside their amazing home garden full of hostas and loads of other wonderful plants. They are always willing to share plants with folks and help people get started with gardening.

Linda Hostalavista - I am glad the docs are giving your dad a few monthes off. Perhaps, he needs a bit of time to feel better. I bet he'll enjoy the Easter Egg hunt witht he Grandkids. YOu've got a good list going too! What fun.

I've dug up about 26 things so far:
    several different cranesbill
    lavendar munstead
    red husker penstemon
    lady's mantle
    new england aster
    aster prof. kippenberg
    others

Can't wait!

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

FOOD FOOD! What are you all bringing? I'm bringing Cabbage Patch Slaw!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yum...cabbage patch slaw sounds good! I am bringin what we call cold noodle salad..It's on oriental cold salad made with thin spagetti, green onions, cukes in a dressing of peanut butter, sesame oil, tamari, a touch of hot sauce, fresh garlic and more. It's yummy.

Anyone else? Mimi..are you bringing Cavatini (I hope!!)

Beverly

• shadowgarden
    18 years ago

Hi guys,

I will be there with my Mother-in-law and a sister-in-law or two. Maybe even a daughter. I will probably bring some glass stuff. I am thinking of digging up some mountain bluets, beautiful flowers but they spread a lot. I may get some Jack in the pulpets but since my knee replacement I am not sure if I am up to digging them (deep roots). I would love to get a purple clematis to replace one that died. I also need two or three flowering shade plants, white bleeding hearts maybe? Would any one want moon flowers Dateris I think, I should have a ton of them if they come back from seed again.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

Reading these posts about cancer and illness has really made me appreciate the fact that my family and I are all doing well. My thoughts are with you and your families!

Well what a beautiful weekend! I'm having a little trouble getting motivated today so I'm going through the GW postings. Everything looks so wonderful and fresh this time of year! I'm starting to make my list of things to dig for the swap but it's a little too wet in the beds to do much digging. I will post a list of things I plan to bring later.

Betty - I can bring some Daylilies to the swap if you're interested and we can do a DL/Hosta swap again! The hostas I got from you last year are doing just great I can see their little noses poking up through the ground now! :) If you e-mail me, I can give you a list of some DLs I know I can divide and I'll check to see if there are others. I don't remember what I traded you last year so if I put it on the list again I apologize! :D

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Hi Swappers!

Michigoose! I'll bring you a hunk of 'everyone iris' as a welcome to Ohio gift! It's a purple one-dark striped falls and lavender stands, yellow beard, smallish flowers. It got it's name because it covered the enitire side of Beverly's house when she moved in. After sharing it 'everyone' had some! You can't be left out! You have had a rough time and a little flower therapy is always good for the soul. I'll have other things too.

Alison-foam flowers would be great in my tub! I got it out to the yard and all "lasagnaed" up yesterday. I want it to settle first so that I can top it off before planting. Should be ready to plant soon.

Granny (aka Margie) You crack me up! I am trying to stick to creeping sedums as my mound BAKES in the sun and I've had good luck with succulents there. I'd love what ever you might bring! Your white tall sedum from the fall swap has a place reserved for it in the tub.

OK! OK! I'll bring something cheesy, saucey and Italian in my big ol' roaster! I bet you all would never let me hear the end of it if didn't! (Well...Mr. Murray, Beverly's husband wouldn't!)

I bet that Tomato Dave will have some goodies for my DH! I still haven't started potting yet. I need to finish my friends belly dancing costume for her show in Saturday and my son's tap dance costume for his recital but I plan on getting started SOON!

Can't wait to see you all!

~~Mimi

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Mimi- you rock!

• dianemgarrett
    18 years ago

Hi,
    It's finally warming up & spring rains. Things grow so fast. I have potted up the following:
    bishops weed hosta white db peny
    Lots of rooted pussy willow bushes..they are easy to root.

Does anyone have any idea for a potting bench?? I have used a lg desk with a old door standing behind it. I need a new desk or some other garden junk for a large potting bench. Or any place to buy a lg nice bench?

Can't wait for a swap. I have alot more to dig up.
    garden cottage diane garrett

• jeanne
    18 years ago

Hi Beverly, Mimi and all! I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to let you know that my mother and I will be coming to the swap. I've been busy potting and have plenty just waiting for the trip.

Michigoose, I have Ephorbia myrsinites that is germinating right now - will be happy to pot some up for you. They won't be real big by the plant swap, but I think they move best when they're in the seedling stage anyway.

Can't wait to see you all!

Jeanne

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI Diane...good to hear your coming to the swap! Great! I know folks will love those plants!

Hi Jeanne...I was hoping to hear from you! YAY..glad you and your mom will attend. It would be the same without you!

Hi Shadowgarden! I think of you often when I look at my beautiful glass pretties! We all love them. I hope you find a purple clematis at the swap. Thanks.

Mimi..glad you hear about the Cavatini..you're right - Murray might not speak to you if you didn't bring it! LOL

Folks...we have broken the hundred mark for folks that are interested in attending. We are at 101. What fun!!

Happy diggin' to you...Beverly

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Sing this to the tune of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"!

One hundred and one folks will come to the swap.
    One hundred and one folks will come.
    So get your plants down and pass food around.
    One hundred and one folks will come!

Tee Hee!

~~Mimi

• Rastagecko
    18 years ago

Michelle, her mom, the kids, and I are planning on being there. I am not sure what all I will be bringing this year, but I won't have any tomato plants. I just didn't get around to starting them. I will be dividing some of my grasses this spring. I started working on my Zebra Grass the other day with a sledge hammer and a spade and almost got my first division off of it. With a little more work I should have a few divisions of it to bring.
    One plant that I am looking for is Wisteria. I haven't noticed it at the swaps in the past, but if anyone is planing on bringing any, let me know.
    It will be nice to see everyone again, and meet new gardeners.
    James

• pastvast
    18 years ago

I'm planning on coming this year. Last year was my first time, and I had a great time (I was the one with a service dog in training). Most of the additions I swapped seem to have survived the winter!!

I am wondering if any of you are planning on bringing any tomato, pepper (hot & sweet), basil, onion plants? I got pregnant sooner than I expected to (!!!), and my first trimester has coincided with seed starting. Needless to say, seed starting took a back seat and I got nada done. For those of you who Winter sow... I was too sick/tired to even do much in the way of WSing =( So, please send me an email if you're interested in doing a trade while at Hilliard!!!

See ya next month!
    -Stephanie

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gardengirl17! Glad you're coming to the swap! I emailed Betty and told her to email you - just in case she doesn't get a chance to check this thread.

Mimi..you're a hoot..great tune!

Hi James...glad to hear you and the gang are coming to the swap. It's always fun to see you and see how much the children have grown. I saw Dave and Char..they said they plan to attend and should have some tomatoes. Others bring them too. Did I get a yellow cherry tomato from you called Juan Pedro - or something like that?

Think spring...Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Stephanie...so glad you're coming to the swap again. Congrats on your pregnancy. I totally understand how one can not get things done when first pregnant. Usually folks have the plants you've requested at the swap - I just wintersowed some tomatoes and basil - if they grow and I don't kill them off, I'll let you know. LOL

Take care........Beverly

• silver_lining
    18 years ago

Whoo-hoo! I potted up some cosmos today, so now I can come to the swap! This is really my first year gardening, so I may or may not have something living to bring. I don't have the exciting stuff that you "old-timers" have but I'm just looking forward to meeting a bunch of you. I'll probably be dragging the hubby along.

Stephanie, my serrano peppers are just sprouting and I have three sprouts so far. I only need two or three bushes, so if I have extras I'll be sure to bring them. I also planted poblano seeds but no action from them yet.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    18 years ago

I've been walking around my garden thnking what I can bring this year. So far I see goatsbeard, at least 6 different named sedums/stonecrops,Japanese anemone, Blue Hills Salvia, CENTAUREA montana 'Gold Bullion', Palace Purple heuchera and maybe a couple others, some named hostas, my small dark purple iris just one more time, plus whatever else I find between now and then. I'll make a small collection of the sedums for a door prize if anyone thinks that would be a good idea.
    Just a month until the swap. Im really anticipating the fun.

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Mao Tse Mom-- good to hear from you! I'm sure that a sedum collection will be a great door prize! I'm looking for all of the sedum groundcover I can get my grubby little hands on. I have a looooong mound to cover.

Congrats on your pregnancy Stephanie! You know that I TOTALLY understand how zonked one can get when you're pregnant.

James, Michelle and family I cna't wait to see you all. I bet that GIRL will be toddling everywhere and Noah will be huge!

Silver Lining-Welcome! We love to have newcomers. You may find that what you have is just what someone is looking for. I brought some seedlings to the first swap and grouped them so that at least one should survive for folks. I Winter Sowed 20 things this year so I'll be bringing soem this year.

I also found a pair of head and foot boards to make a bench out of. I hope to get it done for a door prize. Any suggestions on paint color(s)? Well, I'd better get sewing that costume so that I can get out there and get potting!

See ya soon!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Another welcome to Silverlining and mao_tse_mom!!

mao_tse_mom-I agree with Mimi - your idea of a pot of many sedum will be a wonderful door prize. Thanks!

Silverlining..SO glad you are joining us this year!

Folks..I just found out that my neighbor, Karen, is making more hypertufa pots for the swap. Yippeee! I love them.

Hold on to you hat - we've got 111 people interested in attending this year. Wowzer!

Think spring...think swap...Beverly

• sunburygirl
    18 years ago

For what it's worth I'm bringing the following tomatoes, most of which are heritage:

Brandywine (Suddith strain)- This is a strain that many believe is the original Brandywine. Excellent flavor! Days: 85, one of Gardenweb's tomato forums (and my) highest rated tomatoes

Green Zebra - 2-inch round fruit ripens to a yellow-gold with dark-green zebra-like stripes. Zesty taste, 75 days.

Marianna's Peace - 1-2 lb. beautiful, pink beefsteaks. Dense, creamy, sweet flesh with rich complex, old tomatoey flavors. 85 days one of highest rated at Gardenweb and by me!

Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red - Fruit has robust, "not for sissies," bold, tomatoey flavors, with a firm, juicy flesh - 78 days to maturity. This one is new to me but sound's good. I like a tomato that talks back!

Stupice Early - Early, dependable, firm, juicy, medium size fruit, Approximately 60 days

Ernie's Round - Perfect pink fruits at 16oz, Good flavor. Days: 80

I'm also going to bring some grasses.

• princess_mimi
    18 years ago

Oooooooo! Yummy 'maters! My DH, Lee is thrilled. He's already scheming on some of those Early Stupice and a few others!

I'm digging some Alaskan Shasta Daisies, pink and yellow yarrow, mixed columbine, Palace Purple Heuchera, various day lilles and irises. I'll bring what ever seems like it will make it (the herbs look good!) from my 26 winter sowing jugs. I'm sure I'll find other things as I go along.

One month and counting!

~~Mimi

• granny57
    18 years ago

Mimi,
    Your Hysterical!!!Love the tune!!-----Can't get it out of my head!!

Hi James,Hi Michelle,
    Can't wait to see you two and the children, Naomi and Noah again . Bet they have grown a foot since we've seen them last. Little Doll babies!! Just wanted to say hi to you all.

James , Michelle, The Golden Nuggets Laminum is doing great that I got from you last year.I'd love to have a little more if you can spare some.

See you all soon!!

Todays Memories are Tomorrows Treasures
    May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooo..Sunbury Girl..that's a great selection of 'maters. Yum...and thanks. I know folks will love having them as a swap option.

FOUR WEEKS UNTIL SWAPPIN' TIME ..I can hardly wait.

Beverly

• michigoose
    18 years ago

eeek! Gotta pot up them puppies! Can't wait.....almost scheduled something else on the 20th by mistake.

Oh...and the "remission" thing....some doctor's don't like to use the word "remission" as it gives the concept of "cure." People who have certain cancers, breast cancer being one of them, are considered to never be cured as the disease may come back at any time. "Remission" to some folks equates "cure," even though technically it means no discernable sign of disease. I like to think of living with a chronic illness....which hopefully won't flare up again.... anywho...that's how I understand it, and I've been trying to understand it for 12 years! :) Many hugs to all you survivors out there, whether you have the disease or are a supporter of one who does...t'aint fun....

Meanwhile, I'll continue to slug manure around! and whatever little plant offerings I can come up with...........

and I still haven't figured out what to bring...so much good food....:)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Michigoose...good grief!! Don't schedule something else - that would be awful. We all want to meet you!

Well, I've been digging and potting (so the plants don't look droopy that day). I have 60 things ready for the swap at this time.This is what I have so far:

Ferns
    3 kinds of asters
    Blue Hill Salvia
    Clematis
    Hellebore Foetitis
    2 kinds of cranesbill
    lavender
    phlox paniculata
    Red Husker Penstemon
    2 kinds of roses
    oat grass
    light pink mums
    coreopsis tripteris
    Rudbeckia herbstone

I'll be digging up some black eyed susies, too. Probably a few more things along the way.

Darn...LESS that 4 weeks away (today is Sunday!).

take care...Beverly

• alison
    18 years ago

Spent the weekend planting out some of my wintersown seedlings, and potting some up for the swap. I'm a little overwhelmed by the ratio -- for example, I sowed a half a pan with 4:00, but really only needed 6-7 plants!

A friend of mine is looking for some nice lamium. She fell in love with several varieties at the DeMoynes sale -- Beason Silver, Pink Nancy, White Nancy, and some yellow leaved variety with a white stripe down the center of the leaf.

I'd like to pick her up a bunch of it for her front yard -- if someone's got it perhaps we can set up a side trade? I'll have tons of WS plants, and a few big things; some royal standard hosta, the varigated hosta I bring every year and a blue hosta -- Halcyon, I think. I also have some cannas potted up; Rosamund Coles, Richard Wallage and Wyoming.

The same friend is also looking for big-leaf ligularia.

Thought I'd put out those specific requests while everyone is potting up!

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Alison, I have tons and tons of beautiful varigated lamium with the yellow blooms. With my family attending Race for the Cure that day, would it be easier for your friend to drop by after the swap or anytime really and take all she wants? I have to thin it out this season and would welcome the thinning help.

Think about it and let me know.

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

Alison, I have tons and tons of beautiful varigated lamium with the yellow blooms. With my family attending Race for the Cure that day, would it be easier for your friend to drop by after the swap or anytime really and take all she wants? I have to thin it out this season and would welcome the thinning help.

Think about it and let me know.

• alison
    18 years ago

That would be great Karen; I'll ask her. The problem is she won't be able to make it to the swap (a church retreat, I think) so I'm doing some surrogate shopping. But the more lamium the merrier! Or the lamiumier.....

• storygardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lamiumer...love it!!! Surrogate shopping sounds like fun.

Wow...just a few weeks away.

A question...would folks be willing to take 30 minute sessions at the sign in table. Just to help people figure it all out that are new. Last year...Alison signed up and no one releived her. (that wasn't fair...we won't let that happen to anyone again!)

Really, the sign in is just for our records..how to get hold of folks for the next swap. How many people attended ... how many plants. Mimi and I are not the plant police, the trading is done on the honor system.

Let me know. Thanks...

Beverly

• sunburygirl
    17 years ago

Hi ya Beverly,

With all the people that are coming in our group I'm sure we can support several 20-30 minute segments at THE TABLE. We'll just nag and scream when we want relief! We're all good at that!

Nancy, Karen and all the rest

• alison
    17 years ago

I picked these up at the swap last year and they've done really well for me. I'm probably going to divide them next spring, but I'd like to know their names before I pass them along to someone else.

Anybody recognize these dwarf (8-12") iris?
    {{gwi:816345}}{{gwi:816346}}

• xaroleht
    17 years ago

HI,all! This is my first time posting myself. James ususally does it.
    Granny we will be bringing some of the Gold Nuggets Lamium with us.
    Allison we should have a few starts if your friend wants some. It is gold with a white stripe down the middle and has I think pinkish purple flowers. It stays nice all winter. We got the original from Franklin Park Conservatory.
    Bev James doesn't remember bringing that type of tomato.
    The poppies and lavender sound good to me.
    We have been out potting and weeding this morning.
    We have ready to go...

golden tiara hostas
    bressingham blue hosta
    stilletto hosta
    un named varieties of hosta
    centuria montana
    zebra grass
    dwarf zebra grass
    gold nuggets lamium
    anne greenaway lamium
    lilacs(white)
    ostrich ferns
    japanese painted ferns
    vinca minor varigated
    stargazer lilies
    crimson pixie lilies
    crimson pirate daylily
    and probably a few more things. We have a small swap in Stasburg the week before. I also sent the swap info to my brother who had some people from his church interested.
    Can't wait to see you all...
    Michelle

• granny57
    17 years ago

Hi Michelle,
    First time for everything!!! I think you did a great job for your first time posting. Good to hear from you.
    That's great that you'll be bringing more of the Gold Nuggets.I really love it,I had the Golden leaved Laminum with white flowers and it was my favorite. But it either has reverted back to it's green color or it has died. Either way, The Golden Nuggets that I got from you last year, Loves where it's at and is doing wonderful.I would also like to get some of the Anne Greenaway from you. I love that one too. I will bring you something nice in return.
    Give those beautiful children big hugs for me!!
    See you soon!
    Granny57

Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures
    May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sunbury Girl...THANKS so much for the offer of you and your clan to help at the sign in table. We won't let anyone be taking a turn for too long. Sure do appreciate it!!!!

Alison...I got that yellow one at the swap last spring..it was just marked 'dwarf yellow iris'. I hope you find out the names. It's nice to know. Wow..love the blue and white one - ask Mimi..I am a blue and white person (although not exclusively in the garden - just my other life).

Hi Michelle... nice to see your post. YOu've got a great list going on!! It will be fun to see you, James and the children. It's a fine tradition!!

THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY!! Yippeeee..

Beverly

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

Well, I guess you all will let me come now. I finally potted up some things just for the swap today! Sam, the 2 year old helped me to put some of my WS babies into four packs. I hope that you all will be able to read the tags. My handwriting (which is never good) has suffered since I smashed my finger (purple on both sides) today! Doesn't it just figure?!? Last year it was my elbow! I really need to become more graceful. Oy Vey! I guess that I can still handle a spade. I'll just have to figure out how to get a garden glove over the splint thingy!

Well, I'm going to put my finger to bed now, give it a Sabbath day of rest tomorrow and see how it goes on Monday.

Three weeks and counting!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mimi...you do have a bad boo boo for sure! I hope it heals quickly, friend.

I've made decision...this year - I will take the time to LOOK at the plants before swappin' time. Last year, there were so many wonderful friends to stop and talk to, that I never had a chance until right before Round One

Can hardly wait!

Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Folks...it's time to start a new thread. Garden swappers are realy "yackers" for sure. (in the best way, of course).

Carry on!!!

Beverly