Houzz Logo Print
katielovesdogs

UPDATE: Central Indiana Spring Plant Swap 2011

katielovesdogs
13 years ago

Central Indiana Spring Plant Swap 2011

Sunday, May 15, 2011, 2:00 pm

Holliday Park, 6363 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260

PLEASE tell all your gardening friends, family, and colleagues! We're having the Central Indiana Fall Plant Swap on May 8th. We are encouraging all gardeners to participate! We typically have perennials, annuals, bulbs, tubers, herbs, vegetables, and shrubs. There's no cost to participate. Just bring in your divisions, leftovers, and extra plants!

Directions inside the park: Once you enter the park take an immediate left. Then pull into the first parking lot on the right. We will be under the giant sycamore tree. You can bring tables, chairs and plants to share.

MINUMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PLANT SWAP:

- You must bring at least one dozen (12) plants - some people bring more than 50. (I usually bring 100+)

- At least two (2) varieties of plants - try to bring one plant that is extra special.

- All plants need to be clearly identified with plant name and care --

(Examples: HOSTA: Halcyon, Shade. * DAYLILLY: Happy Returns, Sun)

- For best results plants should NOT be dug up and divided that day. Allow a week or two of special care, to make sure the potted plants are not stressed from being dug up.

TRADING MATERIALS

Perennials well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments, extra gardening implements, gardening magazines and books, etc.

You can also print out pictures of the mature plants during peak bloom times. You can go to an online nursery that sells the plants and paste the care instructions into a document.

It is also helpful if you post here what you might bring. That way, we can get an idea of what will be at the swap and people can research a particular plant to see if they want to choose it during the swap.

HOW IT WORKS

We will do the swap in the ROUND ROBIN Format - it works well for this group, and is a lot of fun:

*Round One - pick one plant *Next Round - pick one plant *Next Round - pick two plants *Next Round - pick two plants *Next Round - pick three plants *Next Round - pick four plants *And so on . . . This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and other swaps have had great success with it in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

KEEP IT SIMPLE, HAVE FUN, MEET FELLOW GARDENERS

* Post what you are planning to swap, and/or update your plant list.

* Bring a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants.

* We plan to meet even if it rains - bring those rain coats, umbrellas, etc.

*E-mail me if you wish to be put on the plant-swap e-mail list.

See the 2010 Central Indiana Plant Swap Posting (posted Mar 7, 2010) for more information from our last spring swap.

See you there -- We should have a nice crowd and great stuff to share!

Comments (19)

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a link to photos from last year's swap:

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Central Indiana Plant Swap

• bkm58
    12 years ago

Happy spring katie. Getting excited about this years plant swap and wondered if you knew yet what you'll be bringing for swap?

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I haven't done much to clean out my beds yet, so I don't have a lot potted up yet. I do have tomato and basil seedlings. I had great germination, so chances are that I'll have some extras for the swap. I also accidently uprooted part of a coreopsis when I was cleaning out one of my beds. I potted it up. I have a lovely pink hellebore that I will bring. I might also have some Jack Frost brunnera that's ready to divide.

The usual suspects will likely be part of what I bring: daylilies, Asiatic lilies, May night salvia, various hosta, lamium, sweet woodruff, coneflower, hardy hibiscus, and heliopsis.

What do you think that you might be able to bring?

Here is a link that might be useful: A link to this year's tomato list

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made up a flyer for the event this year. Below is a link to the flyer. Please make copies of the flyer to give to friends, family, and colleagues who like to garden. The flyer is in a PDF format so it anyone should be able to open it and print it out.

Thanks for help in getting the word out!
    Katie

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Swap 2011 flyer

• indyrose
    12 years ago

Hi, Katie,

Nice of you to organize this again! I'll be bringing a lot of garden "left-overs," as usual! I'm not sure what all I will have, as I often sell/give away/swap plants all spring. Right now, I think I'll have a number of hosta, various varieties, some daylilies, vegetable bedding plants, siberian and bearded iris, coneflower, and who knows what else I may decide to dig and bring. I get new things in trade -- and sometimes I just take them to re-trade it.

Swapping/buying/selling/giving away everything "gardening" is lots of fun!

Rosemarie (aka Indyrose)

• fionasol
    12 years ago

Wasn't sure if I could make it this year (my niece's wedding shower is happening on Saturday in Chicago) but I think I've organized things well enough to be back in town on time!

Currently I have potted up:
    Wood Poppy (Celadine Poppy)
    Columbine (Native/Red-yellow, Purple, Cream)
    Toadflax (pink/light purple)
    Oriental Poppy (orange)
    Unnamed hostas (narrow all green leaves or green & white variegated)
    Skullcap (Scutellaria incana)
    New Engalnd Aster (Aster novae-angliae)
    Hardy water lily
    Wild, Blue Flag Iris, Sweet Flag

I also have a variety of other things I'd be willing to bring, if I hear any interest:
    lots of Indiana natives
    Northern Sea Oats
    Canada Blue Rye Grass
    Bottlebrush Grass
    Indian Grass
    Big Blue Stem
    Cupplant
    Rosinweed
    Winterberry
    Beak Grass

I've attached a link to an album that has some photos of the things I have ready to go to the swap. If you wander through some of my other garden albums, there might be other plants I'd be willing to bring too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiona's Plants for the Swap

• bkm58_att_net
    12 years ago

Looking forward to Sunday - so far I have potted up:
    2 thornless blackberry bush
    3 Redbud approx. 2-4 ft tall
    6 Money Plant seedings
    4 Lamb's ear

several various iris (bareroot)

• luvmyboys
    12 years ago

So far, I have "walking onions",Black Krim tomatoes, and daylilies (Stella de Oro, I think).

• bkm58_att_net
    12 years ago

My redbuds are not looking too good. I hope they snap out of it. if anyone is looking for anything specific, please let me know, I probably have it lol. Katie do you have things to add to your list of what you're bringing? I have a friend coming looking for some lily of the valley if anyone has extra. See you all there.

• bmadams7_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I currently have potted:
    hosta-green veriagated
    rose of sharon
    tulip tree
    peppermint
    may night salvia
    autumn joy sedum
    coreopsis
    Looking forward to Sunday!

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks like you are all bringing some great plants! So far, I have potted up

Sun:
    geranium 'Max Frei'
    salvia 'May night'
    daylily 'happy returns'
    heliopsis
    monarda 'Jacob Klein'
    rudibeckia
    iris

Shade:
    hosta 'patriot'
    hosta 'love pat'
    hosta 'candy hearts'
    ferns
    sweet woodruff

I will pot up some more plants tomorrow morning and Saturday.

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had some time before work to garden so I potted up

hosta 'sagae'
    hosta 'ghost spirit'
    astilbe
    unknown hostas

I also have some rosemary that I started from clippings and some extra heirloom tomato and basil seedlings.

• bkm58_att_net
    12 years ago

you all have some really great stuff I'm looking for and can't wait to add it to my garden. I've attached a photo album from my facebook account of all my Garden flowers - if you see anything I might be able to trade with you, please be sure to let me know before Sunday. Hope you enjoy my pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY GARDEN

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bring your rain gear. We're stlll having the swap, even if it's raining.

• kterlep
    12 years ago

Thanks for braving the weather and bringing all the wonderful plants. :)

Carrie it was great to see you again!

--Kate the indecisive.

• pplett_iupui_edu
    12 years ago

I had an awesome time! Can't wait til next year. I have lots of other plants that I didn't think to bring this year. (It was my first time) Thanks for putting this together
    Francesca

• MrsGreenThumbs
    11 years ago

I was hoping perhaps we could get together with the lady who puts these together and reschedule this event. I was very much looking forward to it. Perhaps the 6th, or the 13th of May?

If it has to be the 29th, perhaps we could just pick another park. Wiki has a list of Indy parks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parks_in_Indianapolis Or we could try the Indy Parks site: http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPR/Pages/IndyParksHome.aspx

I wonder if there is anything I can do to help raise support or get the word out? Perhaps we could send out e-mails to previous participants or open a "Meet Up" event?

If the lady hosting no longer wishes to host thise year, perhpas a few of us could pull it together anyway?

• bkm58
    11 years ago

Mrs GreenThumbs: I have had several of my friends wanting to know about the 2012 plant swap. I dont know what's happened to Katie who normal runs it. I too think we should try to throw something together if there's not going to be one. I live right across the street from one of the Indy Parks on the Southwest side. As far as advertising and getting the word out, I always post it on my facebook and invite my gardening friends. Just getting down to a few weekends and we can't do Mother's day Sunday. Katie where are you?

• MrsGreenThumbs
    11 years ago

how about we shoot for the last weekend of the month? The 27th of may? If we pick a date and a time, we can start getting the word out and strum up some support. Could you find out if a get-together would be possible at your local park on that date?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm