Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_texas

Central Texas/Austin Area Swap April 24

Patty_Texas
20 years ago

Hey Everyone -- Carla Peevey and I are setting up our spring plant swap for April 24 in San Marcos.

We heard some good things from y'all about the pavilion there when we held it last at Rio Vista Park in San Marcos, so we'll have it there again. For those of you who were there, it will be at the same spot, which is called Pavilion B. It's near the restrooms.

Here are some directions, and below that is a website for San Marcos, where you may find more information on the park. Rio Vista Park is just west of I-35 bordered by Riverside Dr. on the north and CM Allen Parkway on the south. The park address is 555 Cheatham Street, which connects Riverside and CM Allen Parkway. Reynolds Street is a spur street off of Cheatham going west into the park. Pavilion B is across Reynolds Street from the pool area.

www.ci.san-marcos.tx.us

You can be there as early as you'd like, but we'll hope that everyone is there by 10 a.m.

Carla and I will bring paper plates, etc. plus the drinks. We will again have a potluck lunch if you can bring something you make or get from the store.

We will also have door prizes if anyone would like to make donate an item for the drawings.

Please contact me for any additional information, questions, comments, ideas, etc.

Thanks, and keep in touch !

patty

Comments (20)

• owensgirl
    20 years ago

I was wondering if someone could do my swapping for me at the swap because I won't be able to make it. I posted the details on the Texas forum under the heading Hey Folks...

Please let me know, I have tons of books, magazines, seeds, and a few plants.I would take anything for shade and some cannas, basicly whatever!
    I also have a new copy of the New Central Texas Gardener I'd be willing to donate as a door prize (it was a gift and I already have a copy)

• dudleydorite
    20 years ago

am having a great time helping compost worms (red wigglers) multiply by feeding them my garbage. check out the vermicomposting forum. will bring starter kits with a few worms to get your feet wet.

e-mail me if you want to know more

regards, dick

• chargreen
    20 years ago

Hi! I'm bumping this up so it won't fall off of the edge! I can't wait for the swap. Thanks Patty and Carla!

• StacyInAustin_z8b
    20 years ago

How does a swap work? It would by my first time. Thanks!

• plainjane40
    20 years ago

Yes, how does a swap work?

• teri_mico
    20 years ago

Last fall was my first time attending one, so I will explain from my perspective as a newbie. Everybody brings plants/seeds/whatever and the quest is to make sure that you don't go back home with anything that you brought. It's kind of goes like this - "oh yes I will take this plant. Come over to my table and see if there's anything you might like." Generally speaking, there is no specific trading this for that. Just like this forum, everyone is friendly, helpful, and ready to give as much advice as they can.

What to bring and how? Most of the plants are in pots already rooted. Some people do bring cuttings. Others have plant books, magazines, seeds. Pot luck also for lunch. It truly is a great time.

By the way, I ended up bringing home over 25 different species of plants!

• Patty_Texas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hey y'all, please make sure that you're preferences for your member page are set so that your email address will show when you post a message and the copy goes to the original person who posted.

I'm getting messages from folks who want to know about the swap, but when I get the message it says:

"(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)"

Thanks !

patty

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    20 years ago

Hi you guys,

I'm planning on coming from Temple and bringing some pampas grass as well as some Tami-G Sweet Grape tomatoes which I started from seeds that I received in a trade last year. If anyone is interested for me to earmark their pots ahead of time, let me know. I'd be interested in trading for anything that is drought tolerant.

Thanks,
    Crystal

• Patty_Texas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Does anyone want to pre-arrange their trades ? I'd love to know what to bring ahead of time. Write me personally if you want to.

patty

• Carla
    20 years ago

Bump.

Carla

• KarenTX8b
    20 years ago

Patty & Carla,

do you need any more door prizes? If so, please email me, and I'll let you know what I've got. (Just in case the door prizes are supposed to be surprises.)

Karen

• brarygrl
    20 years ago

Hey Y'all
    I can't wait for the swap and have been babying a bunch of seedlings to bring. This time I've got:
    Blue Flax
    Mounding Peppergrass
    Scarlet O'Hara morning glory
    Moonvine
    Blue Pea vine
    Snail vine

I've got some books for door prizes too!
    See ya this weekend!
    Lindsey

• TXChickadee
    20 years ago

I'm planning to come, if we don't get rained out!

With luck, I'll have datura seedlings to swap, plus more crinum offsets and what I think are actually spider lilies (sold to me as crinum, but they look more like spiders). I should have a couple of basil as well, and some fresh chard.

And of course, Coco puppy!

• sowandsew
    20 years ago

Hope to be there tomorrow unless the rain is torrential, in that case, I will go to my Nia class instead. I have some rooted cuttings of an antique climber rose "7 Sisters," a Mexican herb "quilqino", salvia, a few brugmansia in 4 inch pots that were planted from seed and a 2 gallon ornamental pomegranate "nana". Hope the weather cooperates.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    20 years ago

Hey guys,

The weatherman predicts 60% thunderstorms. I'd rather not have to deal with that. If you have a rain date set, let me know because I'd be interested in attending.

Crystal

• Linda_8B
    20 years ago

Rain? Ha! No problem! You guys should have seen the first one up in Spicewood. We had a good time for a bit, then it poured...and poured. Wouldn't have missed it for the world (or for dry clothes and hair!). You should see the photos! And we had others in spite of the weather also. The pavilion, at least, is covered. Anybody have one of those canopy thingys to give more coverage?

• KarenTX8b
    20 years ago

Hey swappers,

Are we going to let a little rain stop us? Heck, that's what the covered pavilion is for! Besides, the plants will love it and be much less stressed than otherwise.

I'm getting plants together tonight, so I'll be ready to go tomorrow. I've got Indigo Spires salvia, "Blackie" sweet potato vine, Moonvine seedlings, a couple of luffa gourd seedlings, some dill, some *huge* fresh cuttings of my Peacock Rose geranium (which needed serious pruning!), a couple of very lanky Turk's Cap that I pulled out of dark shade, and probably other things I can't remember. Possibly some iris rhizomes, and some divisions of naturalized tazettas.

And I plan to be there on time this time! ;-)

Karen

• babette11
    19 years ago

Any ideas for a swap for the fall?
    Thanks,
    Lucy

• Jennifer Wolford
    19 years ago

HI ,
    I am moving to the Austin /Spicewood area, and was hoping that I could get some information on your fall swap. I have lots of plants, but have no idea what will survive there. I am in Huntsville now. Hope to hear from you soon. Have a great day!
    Jennifer

• Carla
    19 years ago

For the last several swaps, the location has been Rio Vista park in San Marcos. The date for the fall swap 2004 is under discussion and will be posted as soon as it is set.

Carla

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm