Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbrandenburg_gw

Western PA Plant Swap May 22

cbrandenburg
20 years ago

I guess I'd better get going on this, winter is going by fast. This will be my first plant swap, flying by the seat of my pants here. If anyone is interested in attending this plant swap the date will be May 22nd. The place will be the Railroad Supervisors Club in Baden, Beaver County Pa, Western PA. There will be no cost for renting this club, my husband is the President, thanks Ross! I have had a few suggestions about a starting time, so I have decided to start the spring swap at Noon until ?, so if people are traveling they will have time to get here.

This swap will be for anything gardening, seeds, garden gadgets, plants, anything related to gardening we can trade. If anyone has any Ideas, please let me know. I think we should have some kind of food, maybe everyone can bring a covered dish.

Now about the trading we are going to have to make lists of what we have, what we are looking for and post them for everyone thats interested in attending the swap. Or we can just bring what we have to trade and go at it. Let me know what you think.

I will have my husband make up a map with directions and email it to everyone interested in coming. Please feel free to give suggestions for this swap. If your interested in coming please post or email me. This is a big building with a lot of parking so feel free to invite friends and family. Kid are welcome also. If your on another forum and there's people you know that might like to come let them know.

Cathy

Comments (27)

• Bill_zone6
    20 years ago

This swap should be of interest to anyone in the tri-state area (E. Ohio, W. Va panhandle, and W. Pa). Please count me in. I will have divisions, seedlings, new seedlings, and more to swap. See you there!

Cathy, where do we list our plants we want to swap and wish for? Here on this site?

Bill

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Bill, I think we shoud do our lists on the Pa Forum. Let me know what you think. Cathy

• Bill_zone6
    20 years ago

Yes I agree. As long as Spike agrees to let us use the PA forum for the swap.

• Bill_zone6
    20 years ago

I am beginning to place W Pa trades on my trade list until we decide otherwise.

How about food? I was thinking of my world famous baked bean recipe.:)

• Bill_zone6
    20 years ago

With fingers crossed, I will have between 40 and 60 trades ready for the May 22nd swap. Many from winter sowing alone. I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.:)

• barefoot_babe
    20 years ago

Wow! How can you know that already??? All I have are a ton of plastic containers all over my yard. I hope they all sprout so I have stuff to trade. I am up to over 80 containers now, but not a sprout to be seen, other that a few dayliliy crosses that I had to leave in the house because they sprouted before I could get them outside!!! Can we trade seeds? Gardening magazines? I'm not much of a cook but I do make a mean taco dip!!!!! I'd also like to know where to post the list as it is different than my trade list. (my haves, not my wants) I haven't even added any of my WS items to the list as I am waiting to see if they grow!

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

barefoot_babe, we would love to have some of your taco dip!! And I discovered today that one container of my winter sow poppy's are sprouting, can't remember what one it was at the moment. You will have sprouts soon, last year mine started to germinate around the middle of march. We will trade anything gardening, magazines, books, seeds, plants, pots, anything, garden art, you have it, bring it. I am going to get my list together this coming week. I guess we will have a new post on the Pa forum for plant haves and wants. You can put your list on the page that comes up when you click on to see someone's page, that's where I have my winter sown seeds listed. That will keep it seperated and make sure you state Spring plant swap list or something to that affect.

• Bill_zone6
    20 years ago

OK, barefoot_babe, maybe I am just a 'little' optimistic.:) A lot? Probably everything won't come up in time to be mature enough for the swap. We can only hope. I am looking every day for something to come up. With the warm weather it won't be long.:)

• stardust
    20 years ago

Hey folks, I may be game. I to am trying to set up a local swap (in NE Ohio in May). Nothing concrete yet though. I guess I might have to make it the last Saturday in May or the first in June so I can come to yours! How far are we talking from the Ohio line (Boardman/Pland area)? I've never been to one and I'd love to participate. Maybe I could learn a thing or two. Covered dish seems to be the way most handle their eating pleasures for these events. I can cook most anything. People have even told me they 'like' my cooking. That is a good thing, right?! Please let me know. Winter IS slipping away but I'm ready for it to go.

Stardust
    NE Ohio

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Stardust, we would love to have you. Any you cook, that's wonderful. Still getting things together. I think you about a 50 min. drive from there to here, not that far to drive. This is the first one for us, so we can learn together. I will get back to you. Thanks, Cathy

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

It is time to let Cathy know if you can attend, and how many will be coming with you. As I understand it, there is going to be a lot of people from W Pa there. Contact her for directions and such.

I have some winter sows that may be of interest. And divisions. Plus I am bringing a garden wheelbarrow (homemade) to trade. And possibly some garden books. If anyone is interested in trading for a garden obelisk, let me know.

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I am interested in trading for your obelisk. What kind of plants are you wanting in exchange. I have several new hosta to trade. Let me know how many plants you would like for your obelisk.

Thanks,

Cathy

I'm not sure if it's going to make the paper this week, she called yesterday while I was away. I did email her the information she wanted. Did Susan call you Bill?

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

No she didn't call. The Garden Notes wasn't in the gardening section today.

Oh boy, what to ask for trade?

• zhonggarden
    19 years ago

Bummer. Looks like I'm going to miss 2 plant swaps in the Pgh area (this one and the one by doug oster). I'll be on vacation in Hawaii for the second half of May. Is there any way I can trade with people before or after? I have way more stuff growing than I need. Its so sad to kill them since I have been watching them grow everyday.

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

Hi zhonggarden, can you post a few plants on the 'Trade List' you will have ready the 1st of May. I will also post some on the 'Trade List'. Maybe we can trade? I am in Beaver County.

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Argh!!! I wish I could come! I'm from SW Pa and will be there the next weekend. Unfortunately that weekend is right between our Ohio swap and the trip to Grandma's for two of my boys' birthdays! Maybe next year!

Hey, did someone mention a second swap near the end of May in the Pgh area????? More info please!!

I wish you all well!

Mimi

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

It looks like we may have to have a less formal Swap for all that can't make this one on May 22nd. Maybe the first week in June?

• barefoot_babe
    19 years ago

I have never done a plant swap before. How do you pot up your plants? I was thinking of buying some plastic drinking cups and putting the plants in them. I will be doing alot of trimming at that time and was wondering if anyone ever brings cuttings for people to root. I have some nice things that people could try rooting such as a Butterfly Japanese Maple, Weeping Cherry, Pussy Willow Tree, Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, and a Sensation lilac. Are cuttings allowed? Is there a better way to pot up the plants?

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

Hi bb, I am interested in the Butterfly Japanese Maple and Harry Lauder's Walking Stick cuttings. Are you open to cuttings in return, or do you want plants? Good question about containers. I like your idea of plastic cups (with a hole in the bottom?). Plastic pots can become expensive if we need a lot.

• barefoot_babe
    19 years ago

I don't care what I get in return. I have to trim both the walking stick and the maple anyway, so the cuttings would just go in the garbage. What do you have? If you have cuttings, you may have to tell me how to root them, as I have never tried that before.

• heartwoman
    19 years ago

It sounds great to me. Never been to one and this one is only a40 minute drive. Please send directions from East Liverpool area or send address so I can look it up. Thanks!

• hoehum
    19 years ago

Wow! I haven't checked this forum for quite a while. Not only is Baden do-able for me (thanks for the travel time!), I happen to be off that day and want to give it a shot.

Have lots of babies from winter sowing - newspaper pots, plastic cups and yogurt cups with holes burned in the bottom, you name it, I fill it. Most of mine are still very tiny because spring comes much later up here in Erie.

Will need directions from I-79 or the address so I can look it up.

• gillian_
    19 years ago

hoehum,
    What kind of WS babies are you bringing? I am planning to bring some, too. So far the WS babies I have potted up are: three colors of balloon flower (white, pink, and blue), 2 columbine (blue, & Wm Guiness), Sidalcea 'brilliant', blackberry lily, Centranthus alba, stock, english daisies, ...and several others will hopefully get potted up (HOSed into egg cartons) this week.

Can't wait!
    ~Gillian

PS Thanks so much for planning this Cathy...and also for all the seeds you have given me, most of my WS plants came from your seeds.

• Bill_zone6
    19 years ago

I will dig (for Saturday):
    Buddleja davidii 'Nanho Purple'
    Lavatera thuringiaca 'Barnsley'
    Perovskia atriplicifolia

if there is interest?

Let me know what you have for trade.

Thanks!

• barefoot_babe
    19 years ago

Does anyone coming to the swap have white bacopa or sweet potato vine, the lime green color? I really need some of this.

• heartwoman
    19 years ago

I will be bringing a Arizona Cypress, feverfew,rose of sharon, mints,anise hyssop and maybe some wild thyme if anyones interested. I really need some pond plants if anyones got them.

• stardust
    19 years ago

OK, I missed this. Opening of our camping season here at our backyard campgrounds on Berlin Lake, the stress and confusion of them drilling an oil well on our property about 100 feet from our house and the winding down of the school year (I'm a bus driver). Can't imagine how that happened.

If anyone is game we do have ours coming up in Deerfield, Ohio on June 12th. Only about 40 minutes from the PA/OH line. Expecting about 2 dozen or so at the moment. Of course you never know one way or the other for sure. I have about a dozen GW traders interested and close to that many locals. Covered Dish Luncheon, Door Prizes, Silent Auction, Garden themed Craft Project and a local Soap Crafter all lined up.

Let me know.

Denice

Let me know.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!