Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennycp

SE PA Swap 2006

pennycp
18 years ago

Is anyone planning a swap in SE PA this year?

Beanmomma did a nice one last year. We met great people and brought home tons of stuff. Looking forward to going to one this year.

Penny

Comments (27)

• beanmomma
    18 years ago

Hi Penny,

I was just planning to e-mail all the swappers from last year's swap to see if anyone else was interested in holding it this year.

I am unable to host one this year as we're moving to Denmark for two years, leaving in July...soooooo much to do!

So any of you swappers want to try your hand at hosting? It's really pretty easy...and if you plan it early enough you have a great excuse why your garden doesn't look perfect.;^) Anyone interested I'm willing to answer questions and pass on swapper contact info.

Lynn

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

we'd be happy to host this year. i won't even have to dig up divisions, i'll just hand out shovels (just kidding!)

we're centrally located, convenient to both lehigh valley and bucks county.

i have only 2 concerns for hosting:
    seating is limited. we don't have any outdoor seating, so potluck must be held inside.
    parking: we have a large driveway and parking area, but there is NO parking on road. SUV's would be asked to park on the lawn.

what day works for everybody? i think saturdays thru april would be best...15th, 22nd, 29th?

it's already mid march, so date would have to be set soon!

• justjude
    18 years ago

The only day (of those three dates) that we could come would be the 29th of April--and I can't commit to that yet, but it's at least possible.

Where do you live?

We live in Carlisle (20 miles west of Harrisburg).

Judy

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

hi judy,
    i think the only fair option would be to set a limit for responses, allowing everybody who responds by that time to vote for a date, and then go with the majority. so at this point, it's really up in the air. i know it's wishful thinking that a date can be set that would allow everybody to attend...wow, what a swap that would be ;-)

we live in Upper Black Eddy (Lake Nockamixon). that's considerably east and north of you, i believe...but if all works out, hopefully the distance won't deter you!

matt

• pennycp
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Matt -

Thanks for volunteering to host. I'm interesed in hosting, but would rather wait a year or two. But count me and DH in for your place this year. We have two friends who might join us.

Would it help if everyone brought their own lawn chairs? Let us all know what is needed and we'll see who can help out where.

As for the date - April 29th would work well for us.

This is so great! Can't wait!

• laughlivegrow_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

I would like to come. I live in Lancaster Pa. Does it matter what you bring to the plant swap? I have the basics herbs, flowers, etc...

• cburg
    18 years ago

We'd be happy to host again this year. Easy access from all major highways: 78, 22, 309, 33. Let me know! I'll also be posting on DG

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

naturenut, count me in!

Carol

• bonsaist
    18 years ago

I would love to come to the swap. Couldn't make it last year, but 2 years ago it was great.

I wish we have a Local garden club. I belong to the BackYard fruit growers, they're located in Lancaster. They have many gardenning events throughout the year. They hold annual auction that raises funds for the clubs to organize events and so on. We can talk about that later.

Bass

• beanmomma
    18 years ago

matt,

Have you gotten either of the e-mails I sent to you with swapper contact info?

I'm not trying to be a pain, but I know the time is short and I wanted to make sure you had access to as many swap participants as possible.

I know some people have been having trouble receiving GW mail since the change-over...so post here, or e-mail me if you still have my mail from last year's swap.

Lynn

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

hey, all!
    first off.... i apologize a thousand times over for not posting! the past two weeks were very hectic, and on the two occasions when i had time to get back onto gardenweb, the pages wouldn't load (yeah, imagine that, LOL)

anyway...i've got some of the email addresses from last year, courtesy of lynn (thank you, lynn!!)

for those of you that are new, or perhaps your email address has changed, or even if you want to play it safe..

please click on my profile name and send me an email. i will be using this to compile a list of attendees.
    please send the following information:

Gardenweb profile name
    First name
    First names of others coming with you
    If you're coming for the potluck or just the swap
    If coming for the potluck, what you're bringing

A list of plants you have
    A list of plants you'd like

i think that's about it...

oh...date and time...

Saturday April 29
    potluck...hmmm...i dunno...i guess 12 to 1
    and swap from 1 to 3

i will be compiling the list and posting it on a web page in a few days, and update it daily (if it changes). when i've done this, i'll post the website address here, as well as email it to everybody.

any questions? comments? concerns? again, either post here, but preferably, use the email in my gardenweb profile. there are times when this site just refuses to load.

looking forward to hearing from you!!!

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

i've created a web page, here is the link for it. as you can see, there doesn't seem to be much interest in a plant swap this year. should we reconsider having a swap this year? unless we have at least a dozen attendees, there won't be much swappin'.
    please post here at gardenweb or send me an email if you are interested in attending.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://home.epix.net/~pdifilip/pswap.html

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Matt,

I have not checked yet, heading to the PA page in a few minutes, but did you post there?

Gerry

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

hi gerry,
    yes, i posted on the PA gardening forum, but combined with responses from this forum (and email), it just seems like there is no interest. if you check the link for the web page i created, you'll see that there are only a handful. i think i'll wait till april 15th, then see how many attendees.

matt

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

For those in SE PA., I'll be hosting a swap/garden visit/potluck in western Burlington County on May 7th. Please check under Gardening in N.J. forum Exchanges and Email me for more info.

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Matt,
    I've never been to a plant swap but am definitely interested. My friend Joan contacted me this afternoon - seems she has already spoken with you as she is interested in coming also.

Don't know yet about plants for swapping, but can we add to our "want list" from those already listed available from others?

Thanks, bulbs (Barbara)

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

hi barbara,
    thanks for posting, and i'm glad that you are interested in attending! hmmm..joan? somebody from a previous swap? i haven't heard from anybody named joan, but we'd be thrilled to have more gardeners!
    you can add anything you like to your "want list". it really does make it so much easier for other swappers to determine what to divide or remove when they know for sure that there is a happy home waiting ;-)
    please click on my profile in gardenweb to send me an email...let me know if you're coming to the potluck, what you'd like to bring, your "want list", your "have list", etc. so i can update the web page, which i am going to attach to this post again.
    hope to hear from you!
    matt

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Matt,

I have a list together of plants I can bring to the trade, woiuld you like me to mail it to you, or post here. Some of the things will be by 'special request'. JLMK

Gerry

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

hi gerry,
    it's better to email. at least that way, i'll have it for as long as i need it. there are times when i try to get onto gardenweb and the site is down.
    thanks!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Just want to know for my own information, and maybe others, would it be best to put the plants in pots/cups with soil and markers to swap, or perhaps just in baggies and moist towling or peat, like we would do in an on-line trade?

Also wondering if this is going to be an 'organized trade', where we know ahead who is getting what or if it is more of a 'free for all'? Either way is great by me, but I have a few plants that I would only bring as special request plants.

I can bring along some of the plastic resin chairs if that helps out in the seating.

I also have some wall planters, I will need to get pictures of them, they are plastic coated metal, and can hold two flower pots, if anyone might be interested.

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

gerry,
    i've added a lot of information to the web page i created, hopefully this will answer not only your questions, but anybody else's, as well. thanks for offering to bring chairs, but i think i'll probably get some resin chairs before the 29th.

everybody:

please check back on the web page i created frequently, as it is being updated almost daily. and remember...if you have any questions at all, let me know! i'm glad to see that as we get closer, we're getting more swappers!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Rather than try my hand at taking a picture, I scanned the tag that comes along with the holder. The back of the tags says that they hold up to 20 lbs, and attaches with 3/16" screws, not included. They hold most 8"-10" baskets.

Please contact me directly via E-mail if you are interested in these.

Gerry

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Hi -

gerry - are you interested in "mini-iris"? I have lots and thinking of moving/dividing some of them. And how do you do "rose cuttings"? I have a rose bush, but no idea what to do to share it.

And wondering about the pic of your pot holder - is it for indoor plants only?

And haven't made list yet, but do want some canna tubers (thanks Joan) and coleus from Matt's latest info.

Thanks, bulbs (Barbara)

• bulbs
    18 years ago

gerry - I got your e-mail; not at home right now, so can't give actual name of that tree peony, but it's basically a maroon color. Have never "divided it" (did try to get rid of it after the first year, wanted to try something different; but the next spring it came back with 3 stems instead of 1, and seems to add a few more each year). Now I've fallen in love with it and happy to share with others.

I think I'd like 1 of that "pot holder" you pic'd for us, but have plenty of small (4") pots - really need some more in the 8-12" size.

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

bulbs (Barbara)

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Carol - pipersville - what kind of "garden supplies" do you plan to swap? Any chance of a shovel?? Can't find mine, afraid it may have gone by error when giving away lots of things after my husband's death last May. Know I had it for a while after that, but gave away lots thru Fall/early Winter.
    Thanks, Barbara (bulbs)

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Don't forget to keep checking for "updates" on Matt's (naturenut's) link on Apr. 8.

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

hey swappers,
    potluck is at 12 on saturday...but since we usually set up before we eat, anytime after 11 AM will be fine.

see you all soon!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction