Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webkat5

Kansas City Area Plant Swap for 2007!

webkat5
17 years ago

Let me know if the end of May is good for everyone!

I will be finished with classes on the 19th, sooooo...the 20th, 26th, 27th or June 2nd or 3rd would work great.

Your thoughts??

Please refer to the other post for a recap of last year's 1st annual event....I think it went pretty well! Hoping for bigger and better this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: KC Plant Swap 2006

Comments (41)

• GreenThumbinKC
    17 years ago

I would love to make it this year! The weekend of June 2nd/3rd doesn't work for me since we will have company in town for a birthday party for my son.

• hortist
    17 years ago

I would prefer sooner rather than later. That way we are less likely to be transpalnting in high heat (but who knows anymore!).

Keith

• donna_rae_kc
    17 years ago

Wasn't able to make it last year, but would love to this time. May 26th or June 2nd works for me.

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds like May 26th works for all of you so far?

We will wait for others to chime in...

I agree that May will be better than waiting (like last year), but that was more "spur of the moment". :o)

I am trying to give more notice this year.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check the box to have these messages e-mailed to me....I have all of your e-mail addys, but if someone new pops in here, please make sure I can get a message to you.

• kcbarbara
    17 years ago

I sent you an email, webkat. I'd like to attend and can come really anytime in May. Whatever you choose will likely be doable.

I'm not sure what I'll have to contribute, although come to think of it, my "Becky" Shasta daisies are outgrowing their space so there ought to be plenty of those to dig up.

• Jay_In_Missouri
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy.....May 26 works for us. We'll watch for further info and look forward to seeing everyone again, and hopefully a lot of new faces!! Later Jay and Alice

• ilsa
    17 years ago

Hey Webkat! The Holiday weekend doesn't work for us, but if the dates change, please let me know!

Ilsa

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, in light of the hard freeze we have all experienced, I am wondering if any of us will have plants to divide.

I guess we will play it by ear...I am really bummin' about my gardens...they are a big pile of mush right now...yuk!

• nnsgarden
    17 years ago

I'd love to join in, although I am a relative newbie to gardening...about a year or so. I'm hoping my plants have made it alright through the frost - we'll see! Webkat, I'll e-mail you.

• Jay_In_Missouri
    17 years ago

Kathy.....six weeks will heal a lot of wounds, so I'm guessin' things will come back in full force. The only thing we covered were fern leaf peonies, and they look good. All others are starting to come back, even the bleeding hearts are starting over again...Look forward to seeing all the old and new garden people next month. Jay

• terri_ks
    17 years ago

I might try to make it this year. Will it be at same location as last year. If I recall it was on the out- skirts on the Mo. side last year? Terri

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I am in rural Harrisonville...lots of room and free horse poop, too! It is easy to find from just about anywhere.

As the time gets closer I will e-mail a map and directions.

I, too, am looking forward to meeting many new people! It will be a good time, I am sure! We had a great time last year....

I will inspect my plants this weekend (nice weather is supposed to be coming this way)...many already look much better...the peonies, surprisingly, look as though nothing happened.

More updates to come!

• roflol
    17 years ago

Hi, neighbors. :-)

I'm hoping to make it... have a few questions and rather than keep harrassing Kat via email I'll harrass y'all at the same time. ;-)

This is my first year wintersowing so I don't have much in the way of mature outdoor plants (I did recognize a couple of probably first-year pinky-purple coneflowers that were in the "wrong" spots out front; they will be up for adoption) but I may have some in wintersown containers that can go (big surprise, I planted too much) - might those be of interest (obviously depending on what they are; I'm mostly asking if size matters to ya). I also have houseplants that I'm tired of fussing with - anybody interested in some smallish King's Choice ivy plants that have battled spider mites (and doing okay now, I'm just tired of playing with them)? And what about garden decor items?

Those are all the questions I have right now I guess. Just wondering what's okay and what's not okay. Kat's got really useful poop... I don't want to be the one to bring the really un-useful kind. ;-)

Terri (in MO)

• Jen26
    17 years ago

We sure had a good time last year, didn't we? May 26 is Memorial Day weekend, so that's definitely bad for me. But if it works for everybody else, then I'll just catch you all another time. My garden is absolutely horrible right now, but before all the frosting, I saw a new hydrangea Annabelle that had propagated itself. I'm not really sure what else I have, I'm too depressed to look right now.

• kcbarbara
    17 years ago

Teri, I'd be interested in your wintersown stuff. I sure want to talk to you about it too. By the time I found the info on this site it was too late to WS so I tried to SpringSow but nothing looks good. I need to learn your techniques - buying real plants is just too danged expensive!

I also have a houseplant I'd love to adopt out but it's a 4 foot tall diffenbachia and doesn't transport easily! It's huge and has taken over my family room. I can bring pictures, I guess, if anyone is interested.

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think bringing a pic would be just fine! I am sure someone would love to adopt it.

• roflol
    17 years ago

Heck, kcbarbara - my techniques are - cut up whatever container looks usable, put some dirt in, put it outside on the deck, and hope for the best. I'm still sowing, and things are coming up a little at a time.

I'm most impressed with the ones that made it through the freeze. I lost a little (tomatoes, cockscomb were the two that fell hardest) but certainly not everything. I'm a believer now. :-) Now to convert the world..... ;-) I'm looking forward to the meet-up.

• gram999
    17 years ago

Just found this. It sounds like almost everyone is around the KC area? We could make it the 26th. Memorial weekend is out. We're 30 min. N of KC. Harrisonville is exaclty 1 hr. away.

• roflol
    16 years ago

Are we allowed to invite others to this get-together or is this a Garden Web members-only shin-dig? I am meeting up with somebody from Paola, KS, about 40 miles SW of me which puts her probably directly west of you, Webkat, and I'll bet she'd be interested in coming. Please just let me know.

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Absolutely, the more, the merrier!

Almost finished up with school for the semester, then I have GOT to mow!! :0)

• roflol
    16 years ago

Okay - who got swamped?

I was whiney when the window well filled in and soaked teen daughter's basement bedroom carpet again after we thought we'd licked that problem with sand build-up at the foundation. I realize now that I messed it all up by moving stuff around again on the ground last week, and I goofed up the flow direction away from the area - grrr!... I whined some more when the opposite side of the house - the garage - started taking on water at front and side edges with no obvious signs of water entry outside at foundation so apparently it's coming up from rising water table - or maybe a new geiser is forming or something.

But I know we aren't hardest hit (people down the street got it worse) so I've stopped whining and have just done my best to divert water when I can (sand bags balanced on a garden hose on the garage floor actually direct some of the water flow out the garage door - despite the leaks).

DH says we got 4.5 inches of rain in Lee's Summit yesterday/last night. I was surprised... I guess I missed the storming last night - boo for head colds, yay for Nyquil.

The plants don't seem to have minded... I just drain the "floaters" and they look happy to have been watered. Do you suppose they've been talking to the houseplants somehow?

;-)

• roflol
    16 years ago

By the way, my folks are trying to find a home for some windows they replaced: If interested, please email me.

They're technically in Chilhowee but really halfway
    between Warrensburg and Clinton (vicinity of Hwys 13 and M). They just replaced some windows and want to offer their old windows in case anybody wants them for greenhouses or cold frames or whatever. The description:

Four (4) Metal-clad sash windows (no frames - in other words, not complete to put in a house, but there is framing around the glass on these four) - measuring 18.5 inches x 57.5 inches.

Two (2) double glass panes only *with no framing around the glass on these two* measuring 20.25 inches x 60.75 inches.

The gas in all these windows is out already. JLMK if interested, please.

• roflol
    16 years ago

Windows have been claimed by somebody in Chilhowee making greenhouses. :-)

• roflol
    16 years ago

Is anybody bringing garden decor, by any chance? I may have reached saturation point on the plants, but inanimate objects that don't need to be watered to look good I'm still looking for, particularly dangly/sparkly things. :-)

You also have no need to fear my mite-y houseplants showing up in my offerings as I freecycled them to some local ladies that specialize in rehabbing houseplants and knew exactly what they were dealing with. All I have left to bring will be wintersown tough stuff with no critters attached. :-)

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yipee!!! I am finished with my classes!!!

Now for some fun!

I plan on having tons of plants available for swapping...lots of youngin's popping up everywhere...

Salvia (a few different), Catmint, Knautia macedonica, Coreopsis, Hostas (probably 'Twist of Lime'), oh and some Azalea bushes...

Jay, I should have some pots for you...

Terri...I will have to look around to see what I have as far as dangly/sparkly things...might have something you would like... :o)

I will be e-mailing the map with directions soon! Looking forward to it!

Kathy

• Jay_In_Missouri
    16 years ago

I'll be glad to take the pots off your hands. Will be bringing hosta,Named daylilies and who knows what. I think some Brunera and Texas Star Hibiscus. Hope the weather is nice....how about food? Let us know what we can bring. Jay

• christaha
    16 years ago

I just read all about the plant swap you are planning and I'd love to be a part of it. Has a date and time been decided on yet? I don't have a ton to share yet as my garden is relatively young but I'll see what I can come up with. This is a great idea!

• krismet
    16 years ago

I have added a few new things to my collection this year that I would love to share, any date and time yet? I am a recent flood victim and whatever ick came up from the Shunga creek has made my plants grow like crazy! How many do you all usually bring? I have plenty!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Guys!

I have e-mailed everyone....

They are calling for rain all week including this weekend...we are probably going to have to push the swap back...it will be extra muddy out here on the farm...

The only weekends I would be able to do it would be June 2nd or the 23rd....do either work for you guys? Please....I certainly hope so!!!

Let me know!

Kathy (WebKat5)

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok....I have heard back from most of you and it looks as though the 23rd works for the majority.

Sooooo....June 23rd it is! It may seem a bit late, but it was that late last year and everything that I plunked in the ground did great and is still doing great!

More updates to come...you might post food ideas here...so we can get an idea of what to contribute. I will have plates, etc and will get ice.

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It was an absolute gullywasher here in H'ville yesterday! We would have all been soaked to the bone!

It is poring down today, too...

I can't remember the last time we have had any true thunder showers....it is such a good feeling...

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    16 years ago

I've got the post now and want to ask you Webkat5 if you would swap some "twist of Lime" hostas for a Japanese Lilac tree? And Jay, would you swap some named day lilies for a Japanese Lilac tree? I also have a Harry Lauder Walking Stick tree I can trade for something I need. Jay, I also have a lot of pots I can bring, would you like them?
    Who likes Greek Salad? I make a good one and plan to bring a big platter of it on the 23rd. I work three jobs and am treating myself by coming to your gathering Kathy. Already excited about meeting other gardeners. Thanks for having the swap!
    Tina/Trowelgal

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok...I have started sending out the maps/directions for those confirming their attendance....

This will be fun!!

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    16 years ago

Hi WebKat5,
    I got mine and will be there. Thank you for all the work that goes into hosting a swap. Maybe we can start "taking turns" so you won't have to do it each year and we can see other gardens too. See you next Saturday.
    Tina aka TrowelGal

• kayjones
    16 years ago

Kathy, I got mine and I thank you. I have been out of touch with gardening for a few months, so look forward to meeting everyone.

• Jay_In_Missouri
    16 years ago

See you all there!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can't wait to meet everyone new!

See you all Saturday!!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sounds like it will be a great day (weather wise)! A bit cooler with a nice breeze and some cloud cover.

We might have some sprinkles, but most will stay north (or move further east) according to all of the weather channels and NOAA.

• roflol
    16 years ago

Got in at 1:30am Sunday so we really did miss the get-together by a mile. So how did it all go, folks?

Although I got to see some nice wildflowers along the highways of western and northwestern US, it was certainly nothing like what was to be found at Kat's place... will definitely have to schedule vacation time around next year's hootenanny. ;-)

And while I was gone the crabgrass had a grand time moving in across my unfinished beds. :-P Oh well, something to do for the rest of the summer, right? ;-)

I did save some seeds of an unknown wildflower/weed in South Dakota; it was the only thing with set seed that I could find. I'll let you know if I ever learn what it is.

Looking forward to hearing how it went. Did everything I donated find homes? :-)

Terri

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, another successful year (this time without rain!!).

I so enjoyed meeting the newcomers and seeing some of you again! I also certainly missed meeting kayjones (Jo) and kcbarbara (not sure what happened)...maybe next time.
    We waited as long as we could for you...but we were chomping at the bit to get at the plants!!

We had a lot of fun, great conversation and wonderful food! I am sooooo looking forward to the fall swap!!

This first pic contains Sherry (with Alice taking the pic)...the two latter contain Alice (with Sherry taking the pic). Enjoy!!

P.S. I just sent in my application for the Master Gardener program...interview is tomorrow afternoon!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My friend, Sheila and neighbor, Julie, are not included in the pics...had to take off prior to photos...

Also, Terri...thanks so much for dropping off the plants...they ALL found homes...

We certainly missed you!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!