Coastal Bend Swap Invitation and Details

mudshaper
20 years ago

DATE: Sunday, March 21, 2004

TIME: 1:30 p.m. til 5:00 p.m.

PLACE: Aransas Pass City Park Pavilion

Aransas Pass, TX

HOSTED BY: Mudshaper

The Plant Swap will be held at the Aransas Pass City Park Pavilion on the corner of East Johnson Avenue and S. Commericial Street (Little League Ball Park Next to Where the Shrimporee is held) The park sits back off the road, but the ball park is easy to spot.

There is plenty of parking. The pavilion is covered, so we wont be rained out. There is a playground beside the pavilion for children. Campsites for RVÂs and tents are available. For a map follow this link: Yahoo! Maps

I ask that everyone bring at least one item ( plant, seeds, tool, hat, anything to give away as a door prize) You can arrange private trades with other gardeners who will be attending the swap and then you can bring those plants and seeds with you and exchange them here. And you can also trade among yourselves when you get here. It is up to each individual participant to decide what a fair trade is. If youÂre new to gardening, I guarantee you will not leave empty handed. So come and visit with us. However, it is a SWAP, so please do not come empty-handed. You can bring gardening tools, bags of soil, craft items, books, magazines, jewelry, food, ANYTHING that you think you could trade for a plant you want, whether garden related or not.

The pavilion does not have any tables or chairs. We are rounding up what tables and chairs we can. We are asking anyone that can help with this task please do so. Any kind of table will be welcome including boards set up on blocks. Anything we can use to set plants on would be greatly appreciated. Some of our garden friends wonÂt be able to bring a table so we are asking you to help out if you can.

I do plan to take pictures of the party and the guests having a great time. I may post some of the pictures on Gardenweb or on my website. If you absolutely do not want your picture posted, please let me know in writing. (That way I wonÂt forget.)

WHAT TO BRING

PLANTS: Potted and labeled with your name, GW name, email address, plant name and growing info. Water them the night before you bring them so theyÂre moist.

SEEDS: Packaged and labeled before the party so theyÂre ready to trade.

CUTTINGS: Fresh cuttings, wrapped in moist (not wet) paper towels in a ziplock bag that have been kept in a cool place until you trade them.

BULBS, CORMS, TUBERS, RHIZOMES: Clean the dirt off them and put them in paper bags and donÂt forget to label them with name, color of flower and growing info.

GARDEN ACCESSORIES: Anything garden related that you might like to trade, including bowling ball art, painted rocks, books, magazines, trellises, birdhouses, bird feeders, pots, plant stands, Ârelated to gardening.

TABLES: You will need to bring tables if you have one to sit your plants on. Bring extra if you can. Generally, the plants you offer for trade go ON the table. And the plants you trade for and are taking home with you go UNDER the table. If you donÂt have a table, or canÂt fit one in your car, donÂt worry. WeÂll put something together for you and hopefully we will have extra tables coming from our garden friends.

CHAIRS: Bring a lawn chair. Bring extras if you can. IÂm bringing as many as I can round up but I wonÂt have enough. However, again, if you canÂt fit one in your car, donÂt worry. IÂm sure some will be able to bring extras.

SNACKS AND DRINKS: You will need to bring your own. Also, IÂm asking that everyone bring some type of snack food ( that does not require plates and forks unless you provide them), to contribute to the party.

FRIENDS: Bring any gardening enthusiast or someone we can convert. LOL The more, the merrier!!

SUPPLIES: ItÂs a good idea to bring boxes to carry your plants home in, Ziploc bags, paper towels, pen and paper for writing down info, labels, a Sharpie, and any other packing materials you might need to haul your plants home comfortably. You may also bring index cards to keep on your table so people who stop by while youÂre away from your table can leave you notes regarding trades.

Overnight arrangements: For those of you traveling a great distance, campsites are available as well as RV spaces. There is an RV park that borders the park.

If you prefer a motel, let me know too and IÂll check with the motels here and see if one of them will give a group discount if several of you need rooms.

MOSQUITO SPRAY: Our Mosquitos carry knives and forks with them, so youÂll definitely need lots of OFF. Deep woods off works the best and last the longest.

SOME THINGS NOT TO BRING

PETS: pets are unpredictable, so I think for everyoneÂs safety, itÂs best to not bring any pets.

CHILDREN: A Playground is right next to the Pavilion. There is also a baseball field. Plenty of room; however you are responsible for your children while they are here.

ALCOHOL: Alcohol is not permitted in the park.

SMOKING: We are required to clean up after the swap. Please make the job easier by disposing of your cigarette butts. Do not throw them down on the ground. WeÂll have pots of sand placed around the pavilion and you can dispose of your butts there.

I hope IÂve covered everything. If you have any questions or comments, please email me at mudshaper@hotpop.com

Come on out and have a great time with us! Hope to see you here!!!

PLEASE RSVP ASAP

mudshaper

Comments (2)