Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katielovesdogs

Central Indiana Plant Swap 2010

katielovesdogs
14 years ago

Central Indiana Plant Swap 2010

PLEASE tell all your gardening friends, family, and colleagues! WeÂre having the annual Central Indiana Plant Swap on May 16th.

Over the past few years, the numbers have started to grow. I got some terrific plants the last couple of years and got rid of a bunch of extras. I have a ton of stuff this year to share, and IÂm sure that many of you do, too. If you donÂt have many plants to share, come anyway. The people I have met at this event in the past have had very generous spirits. Most of us would be delighted to help out a new gardener with some of our extras.

THE DETAILS

â¨Date: Sunday, May 16, 2010 â¨

Time: 2:00 P.M. â¨

Location: Holliday Park, 6363 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260 â¨

Directions inside the park: Once you enter the park take an immediate left. Then pull into the first parking lot on the right. We will be under the giant sycamore tree. â¨Bring yourself, plants & trades, family, friends, tables, chairs, beverages and snacks to share. IÂll bring some lemonade and cookies. It would be nice, but not necessary, if others would brings some treats.

TRADING MATERIALS

plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments, extra gardening implements, gardening magazines, etc. â¨

PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!! Also, mark any plants as invasive or poisonous, if known. I just go to an online nursery that sells the plants that IÂm giving away and cut and paste the care instructions into a document. I print out the directions and staple them to the plant, a piece of window blind, or container.

Since it worked fairly well last year, we're trying the Round Robin swap again: â¨Round One - pick one plant â¨Next Round - pick one plant â¨Next Round - pick two plants â¨Next Round - pick two plants â¨Next Round - pick three plants â¨Next Round - pick four plants â¨And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and other swaps have had great success with it in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring. â¨For folks who only bring a few plants, many of the folks who have LOTS of extra plants can usually be convinced to part with some of their extras AFTER the official Round Robin is finished.

Additionally, you can pre-arrange individual trades through other GardenWebber's trade lists. (PSSST! Everyone should update their trade lists!) These trades will happen before (or after) the big Round Robin trade.

Our Swap's motto is KEEP IT SIMPLE, HAVE FUN, MEET FRIENDS. â¨Some tips for the day: â¨Bring a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping. â¨If you have room in the car...bring an extra table to arrange your plants on. â¨Print out pictures of your plants in bloom, so folks will know what they look like in all their glory! â¨If it looks...

Comments (34)

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've started posting the plants that I will bring for the plant swap on my blog:

http://katieskitchengarden.blogspot.com/search/label/plant swap

I'm including several of photos of the plants in their summer glory. As I dig up plants for the swap over the next month, I will add to this list and photo collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Katie's Kitchen Garden-Plant Swap

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If you are coming to this swap, DON'T buy any tomatoes before you come. I have a ton of different seedlings. I choose my tomatoes for taste and color. Most of them are heirloom tomatoes.

• obrionusa
    13 years ago

Just out of curiousity, Is this mainly a vegeatable swap or flower swap?

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mostly people bring flowers. I bring a combination of perennials, herbs, and vegetables.

• vabyvlue
    13 years ago

This is awesome! I look forward to attending!

Masiel

• kterlep
    13 years ago

Bummer! I will be out of town for two weeks and will miss that day. I did get to meet IndyRose today, though!

• plantingpeter
    13 years ago

This swap sounds great. I have some hostas, daylilies, and miscellaneous perennials to divide. I'll bring my extras to the swap. Thanks for organizing this event.

Pete

• vabyvlue
    13 years ago

Hi Katie,

I am very interested in your hellebores. Do you see anything in my trade list that might interest you for an exchange?

Masiel

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Masiel:

I'm interested in your scented geraniums. I would be happy to trade some hellebores for them. I saw that you also want sweet autumn clematis. I can bring some of that too. I have plenty.

Katie

• vabyvlue
    13 years ago

Yey! I'm excited!!

• jenny_indiana
    13 years ago

My sister and I are planning to attend :)

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jenny

I'm glad that you and your sister will come. My sister is coming, too.

• seabeemom
    13 years ago

I am planning on attending.....sounds like a lot of FUN!

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope that you all are able to bring friends and family members. The more people we have, the greater our plant selection will be!

• seabeemom
    13 years ago

I have a question.....I have never attended one of these before. Do all the plants go in one area or are they separated as to who brought what? Are you only allowed to choose as many items as you bring?

Thanks...........

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seabeemom:

People typically find a spot on the lawn and to place all their plants. Then we go in rounds. The first couple of rounds, everyone gets to choose one plant. Then we choose 2 or three plants at a time for the next couple of rounds. After several rounds, in the past we have just opened the plants selection without going in rounds. We open up the selection once people have gotten what they want and there are leftovers. We are on an honor system for taking as many plants as we bring. There aren't any plant monitors. I typically take home fewer plants than I bring, but that's okay because I get some great plants and I always bring 100+ plants. As I clean up my yard in the spring, I pot up the volunteer plants and divisions, so it's easy to accumulate dozens of plant starts and divisions.

• russgardener
    13 years ago

I plan on attending again this year. It was so much fun last year.
    I will be bringing:
    Pink Turtlehead
    Black-eyed Susans
    Sedum - Brilliant
    Hosta

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Russ,

I'm glad that you are coming again this year!

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Â Â Here's the updated list of the plants that I will bring:

Perennials

• 6 Siberian or Japanese iris (purple)

• 4 moonbeam coreopsis

• 3 lamium (either pink pewter or purple dragon)

• 6 sweet woodruff

• 3 hellebores/Lenten Rose (either pink or cream)

• 6 monarda/bee balm (Jacob Klein-red)

• 3 purple coneflower

• 1 salvia (May Night-purple)

• 6 short bearded reblooming iris (yellow, purple, or light blue---probably purple)

• 3 hardy geranium (dark pink) (Max Frei)

• 1 Â lily (stargazer)

• 1 daylily-probably blacked eyed stella, but I'm not certain

• 1 snowball viburnum

• 8 Stella d'Oro daylilies

• 3 ruby red stella daylilies

• 3 rosy returns daylilies

• 5 pink or red hardy hibiscus

• 3 drumstick allium

• 3 lamb's ear, Helen Von Stein (large leaves, clumping rather than spreading)

• 5 black eyed susans

• 6 heliopsisÂ

• 3 unknown small variegated hostas

• 3 unknown solid small green hostas

• 3 sweet autumn clematis

• 1 fern

• 3 light pink hardy geranium

Unknown small variegated hosta

Unknown small solid hosta
    Basil

• 3 sweet

• 3 lime

• 3 lemonÂ

• 3 thai

8 red or yellow raspberries

Tomatoes

• 3 Fred Limbaugh

• 3 Henderson Wins All

• 3 Bloody Butcher

• 3 Japanese Trifele

• 3 Chocolate Stripes

• 3 1884

• 3 Supersweet 100

• 3 Orange Russian

• 3 Roma

• 3 Black Krim

• 5 Brandywine

• 10 Black cherry

Hardy light pink geranium

• ceninplantswa_p
    13 years ago

I will be in attendence again this year. This is so much fun! There will be at least two more gardeners with me. I can't wait!

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More photos of what I'm going to bring to the swap. Â Most of these photos were taken last summer when the flowers were in bloom.

Ruby Red Daylilies

Rosy Returns Daylilies

Hardy Pink Hibiscus

Heliopsis (yellow flowers in the background)

Black Eyed Stella Daylilies

Red hardy hibiscus

Small Purple Reblooming Iris

• indyrose
    13 years ago

OH, NOOOOO!!!!

I just realized I can't attend. For some reason I was thinking it was the weekend after the 16th.

Next Sunday I will at Decatur, Ill. watching my son graduate Summa cum Laude from Millikin University, with a double major of Political Science and Philosophy (pre-law, basically). He will head out immediately after that to set up for Law School at UC Boulder, Co. -- Sorry, Mom just had to brag.

Please look at my trade list and see if there's some private trades you might want to do!

Inyrose

• reads_n_writes
    13 years ago

I'll be there and I'd love to arrange trades in advance for any edibles anyone might have.

I will be bringing:
    lemon balm
    apple mint
    corkscrew willows, the variety in the link below.
    several types/sizes of hostas
    ferns
    daffodil bulbs varying colors
    possibly some other herb seedlings
    evergreen hardy white bunching onions
    borage
    some orange cosmos
    and maybe a few other things. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: corkscrew willow

• luvmyboys
    13 years ago

Yay! I will be attending; I haven't been able to attend for a couple of years now. I have 9 extra tomatoes (Stupice, Green Zebra, and Principe Borghese....I am just not sure which is which, my labels got messed in the rain) and several hostas, of unknown variety.

I would like to come away with basil, daisies, coneflowers, and delphinium if any are available.

Carrie

• vabyvlue
    13 years ago

Hi there,

I'm attending as well. I'll be bringing:
    bird houses
    gardener soap
    several other watering gadgets
    magazines
    books
    Egyptian walking onion
    garlic chives
    onion chives
    purple sand cherry
    mint
    scented geranium
    etc.

Masiel

• reads_n_writes
    13 years ago

Masiel, I'd be interested in your walking onions and scented geraniums. Do you see anything on my list you'd like? If not, can you post what you're looking for and I can see if I might have some?

And if anyone sees anything on my list to trade for tomatoes, lets arrange an advance trade as well. I'd rather have named tomatoes, but I would take other healthy mystery tomato plants as well.

Oh, and I can bring some baked/crushed eggshells from my own chickens to trade as well. They're great to use in planting holes of plants that like calcium (tomatoes and cabbage to name a few).

• hostalavista
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm from over at the Central Ohio Plant swap!
    You sound like your going to have so much fun and everyone is excited, wish I lived closer I would come!
    Looks like lots of nice plants.
    Katielovesdogs, looks like you love plants too!
    What a list you all have.
    Have a great day trading, it's so much fun isn't it?
    Hostalavista Linda

• vabyvlue
    13 years ago

Hi there!

I'll have plenty of walking onions to go around! They truly walk through the yard but they are great to cook with, plus they look great in flower arragements.

I'll bring a few of these. I think I'll bring three scented geraniums to trade. I know that Katie also wants some.

Masiel

• katielovesdogs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Indyrose can't make the swap this year because she's going to her son's graduation :)

She stopped by my house today to drop off some plants and 'shop' in my garden. She generously donated a couple of flats of plants to the swap:
    artemisia
    penstemon-maybe dark towers
    autumn joy sedum
    tall pink asters
    amarylis-aphrodite
    tomatoes-super beefsteak
    tomatoes-roma
    yellow primrose
    oregano
    dill

She also brought a couple of scented geraniums but I'm going to keep those since I gave her some starts.

• vabyvlue
    13 years ago

What a great event! I had sooo much fun, and came home with great plants! Thank you for organizing this, Katie. Can't wait till the next one.

Masiel

• russgardener
    13 years ago

Katie, thanks for organizing the Spring Plant Swap. It was a lot of fun and I came home with some great stuff. My neighbors did too.
    We are going to have a Fall Plant Swap this year.
    â¨Date: Sunday, September12, 2010 â¨
    Location: Holliday Park, 6363 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260
    Mark your calendar!

• russgardener
    13 years ago

FALL PLANT SWAP
    Date: Sunday, September 19, 2010 (This is a corrected date from above posting)
    Location: Holliday Park, 6363 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260

Mark your calendar!

• vabyvlue
    13 years ago

Hi Guys!

Katie, at the swap I met a nice lady for a gardening club from nearby. I thought that maybe you belonged to it. Do you know the contact info for the local gardening club?

Russ, I plan on attending the fall plant swap.

Masiel

• bkm58
    13 years ago

looking forward to the FALL plant swap - I will be attending and hopefully bring all my gardeners with me again! I'll get the event posted on my facebook page, it's a really good way to get your friends involved! THANKS FOR THE ORGANIZING!