Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- May 15- (continued)

storygardener
19 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners!

My name is Beverly - (also known as Storygardener) It's that time again!!!! My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 15, 2004

MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 15, 2005

Time: 10:00 am - 3:00pm

Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio.

The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr. (This road is formerly called Cherry Tree Drive. It was changed and is still known as Cherry Tree Drive on Yahoo Maps or Map Quest etc. - although the street sign now says Veterans Memorial Dr.)

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!!)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name.

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for the door prize, please feel free. Last year we had several really neat prizes!!

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign in with name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

We must be out be 3:00 pm.

I've been to many swaps and really like this swapping style - a ROUND ROBIN. (people have liked it over the years, too) Round one - everyone select one plant. Round two - everyone select one plant. Round three - everyone select 2 plants, round 4 eveyone select 3 plant, round 5 everyone select 4 and so on and so on. This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west (towards Hilliard) on Cemetary Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road right across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Shaver Medical Center. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

For a map...go to Yahoo.com, click on maps,& click on driving directions. Then put in your address and Cherry Tree Drive, Hilliard, Oh for precise directions. REMEMBER - the MAP will say Cherry Tree Drive - but, the ACTUAL STREET SIGN says Veterans Memorial Drive. It street name was changed and the map programs don't have the new name yet (It's been over THREE years now...but, they still don't have the right name - go figure!!!)

Alot of info here, I know.

I hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count.

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! I am contacting some of my gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the a local garden club. My friend, Mimi is putting an announcement in her church bulletin. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too.

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

good gardening...

...Beverly

Comments (97)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK, Marker Lady! Sounds good and thank you. Every gathering needs it's emergency kit!

We are all getting excited!

...Beverly

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

Oh my Goodness!!!!
    We all are really getting excited. Wish I had started earlier to get ready for this garden swap
    . But we have been talking here forever for THIS garden swap!
    I am sure glad I took a look at Beverly's first post, I was going to be late, AGAIN! What was I thinking?
    Better go outside and get things organized!
    (that'll never happen)!!!
    Who was looking for ferns last year?
    Also last year I got Jack in the Pulpit, two of them are blooming right now! I love them.
    When I take people around to look at my plants, I find myself saying, 'That's from the Garden Swap' I love it!!!!!
    Hostalavista Babeeeeeee! Linda

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

It's so sad - all my neighbors think I'm insane for wanting to do *more* yardwork. They walk by my house and say "That's the crazy lady with her garden". If they even moderately stop to look at it, I drag them in so they can see the future home to plants!

The other night, they actually pulled out chairs so they could watch me move dirt.

I can't wait to learn so much this weekend! I know I know nothing...

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hostalavista...I know what you mean about thinking about the plants from the swaps/trades. I'll say to myself...self...this one's from Betty, or this one's from Jeanne, or Gloria, Trish, Alison, James' family, Mimi, Bakemon and on and on. It's REALLY fun!

Evan..yes, our neighbor's think Mimi & I are a little touched with all the gardening. We think it's quite normal...for us! Before you know it..you'll have your neighbor's planting your left overs and getting the bug too.

...Beverly

• Rastagecko
    19 years ago

Now for the fun part. How am I going to get all of these plants in the van. We are coming into Columbus for the weekend. So we have two large dogs, all of our luggage, and the three of us. It should be interesting.
    Can't wait for Saturday.
    James

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi James...know what you mean! Just strap Noah and the pups to the roof, load up and head on down. (just kidding, of course!!!) I know you'll squeeze everyone and all in the van.

See you Saturday!

Folks, the count now is 92. Don't freak or celebrate or whatever... - this includes all the "maybes", too. You know...Someone says, "I am coming and maybe 2 friends". You see, I've included the maybes in the count.

Rain or shine..the swap goes on with 2 people or 100. Fun!!!

Later, friends...Beverly

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

I've got my crock pot out on the counter and revving up. Bring on the day!

Gina

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Tomorrow night (friday) I'm lining up all the goodies on the driveway for a last watering. Everything else is being piled up ready to go. I'm going to do a final watering like 5 or 6 so they will be well drained but moist for the swap.

That was a tip from a gardener who does farmer's markets. Water the night before and let drain.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good idea, Bakemom!

Folks....it may rain on Saturday.(We don't really care!!) You might consider throwing an umbrella in your car - just in case it's pouring and the plants have overflowed out of the shelter onto the surrounding grassy area. You might want to use an umbrella in that situation. - or you might not. That's up to you.

The count is now.....94.

...Beverly

• fourpaws2002
    19 years ago

I just seen the forecast on the weather channel for Cincy ( a bit south, but not too far) Revised forecast says Partly sunny and 67*f, sounds perfect to me, I'm soooooo excited, I know I haven't chatted much, but that's because I'm busy getting ready for my first plant swap-a 100 people -WOW!!! I might have to make a dozen cheese balls, that and I have to bake cookies for the prom-(my daughter's first)they grow up too fast, I'll bring some cookies too- and of course all those PLANTS-I LOVE IT !!!
    is it ok to bring veggie plants??? I have an over abundance of tomatoe plants ( they don't have to be part of the swap-just who ever wants can have)
    OH Beverly- I do have that doorprize I told you about wayyy back(the stain glass). I can't wait 36 hours or less !!!!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Fourpaws! YOur tomatoes can be part of the swap. I got my 'mater plants at the swap last year.

Wow..the prom - hope your daughter has a great time!

See you Saturday...Beverly

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

My daughter and I don't know what to bring for food!
    Does anyone like HOMEMADE NOODLES?????
    This is getting to be so much fun!
    The anticipation!
    Oh Man, I can hardly wait!!!
    Hostalavista!
    Linda and Cathy!!

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

OODLES OF NOODLES - pasta? It's ALL GOOD!

Now, weather.com say AM thunderstorms - I say - bring it on! We can take it!

If worse comes to worse, a nice veggie tray, or fruit trays from teh grocery are always welcome. I'm trying to find my recipes I put together earlier for this event! So much to do!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh yea!! Homemade noodles...my hubby especially LOVEs them - his Grandma made them. They always work.

A little rain won't hurt us...we're no shrinking violets...were gardeners !!

See you tomorrow.

BTW...Betty (&Ron) from Michigan got in town yesterday. Life is grand!

...Beverly

• alison
    19 years ago

I've got everybody lined up, labelled, and stacked in flats in the back yard -- I'd like a nice gentle rain for about 40 minutes this afternoon so I don't have to do any more work....

Bev, I'm bringing a crock pot with a hot dish -- do we have much in the way of electricity?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Alison...you're ready!! We have several outlets in the shelter. I am bringing some extension cords that can have a couple plugs in them.

Uhmmmm...crockpot goodies!!!

...Beverly

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

I made the sign and put them out this morning! You can't miss them. They are white with a big black "Swap", and green shiny arrows and leaf. They point the way in from 270. Just follow them and you'll do fine!

I've already started the sauce for the Cavatini, my plants are potted, (well most of them;) ), and I've put the 500 detail things I'm bringing on the sun porch to wait! DH will help me to load up the long table and all of the other things so that I can get there bright and early TOMORROW!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I lost my recipe for the quiche I was going to do, but I have a nice linguine salad set up and ready to go. I'm also going to put a container of sun tea - I haven't been able to drink tea since I left Oklahoma - they really force it on you. We'll see. I have some fresh lemon.

How about cutting up little slices of frozen cheesecake (elis of course) and drizzle with my homemade raspberry sauce? maybe put them in cupcake cups - a little slice of heaven for everyone? mmmmm.

Can't wait to see what everyone brings! Oh yes and the plants too!!HHAHAHHAHAH.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My sweet and sour cucumber and onion salad is done and marinating...

Plants are ready to pack up into the car. Tables,signs, and LOTS of "stuff" are ready to go in the car.

I am excited and psyched!!!

...Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Folks....I know it's raining today. Please remember we have a covered shelter...so the plant swap goes on!

See you soon....Beverly

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Wwoo Hooo! It's THE DAY!!!! My van was packed with most of the "stuff" last night. I'm putting my rain poncho in and the last minute stuff and heading for the park SOON!!!!!

Can't wait to see everyone!
    Mimi

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

I'm packing up to go right now (must get coffee!)... My little one was/is sick, so I wasn't able to cook anything - it will have to be store-bought for today.. Sorry...

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Evan, I have enough fresh veggie pasta salad to choke a horse and am also bringing cheesecake in homemade raspberry sauce. Consider yourself covered.

• ForestParker
    19 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful event that was. It was a smorgasbord of food for the soul (and stomach). I feel I came away with much more than I brought in,but I have a hunch people are happy to see their offerings go to good homes. Next year I'll know in advance and will be prepared. I have cranesbill, autumn joy, peonia, and barbery that I would have been happy to part with...leaving space for something else.

Now I have to get planting.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Folks...it's all over....'cept for the plantin'!!!

Despite the rain...we had a wonderful turnout of approximately 75 people today. We had about 1800 plants and items for swapping.....WOW!!! I know I got some really neat things & I hope you did too.

Thanks to everyone that came and brought such wonderful potluck food, fun and interesting plants, and such good cheerfulness despite the rain. Thanks to all that brought such GREAT doorprizes. That was wonderful. It made it so much fun. Of course.. a thank you to Mimi - my backyard neighbor, good friend, and partner in crime (I mean gardening fun.) She made those terrific signs that everyone said were so helpful.

Hopefully...next year!

Good gardening & planting....Beverly

• thinkdirt
    19 years ago

What a great day, rain and mud didn't stop us from having a great time meeting people and swaping plants. All the food was excellent not only are we all gardeners we all are great cooks as well.

this was my first time at a plant swap what a blast. I think every one went home went lots of great plants, I know that I did.

Beverly thanks so much for a great day. Mimi thank you also you two did a great job.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Ditto on the great day - was little cold and wet to be as sociable as I would normally be, but I tried to meet as many people as I can.

Thanks to Beverly and Mimi of course. Now that I know what we're dealing with, I'm making plans for plants for next year. Great to meet folks in person.

I brought 105 plants, 20 pre-arranged trades and a dozen or so non-plant items. I only came home with 18 so I consider it a great victory of restraint! Yes!

Thanks to Betty for the lovely woodlands, George for the prarie coneflowers (have your girlfriend call me and I will set her up with a bunch of plants), Alison for the 4:00s (I still have low germination), and Beverly for our quickie trades!

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

*a quote from my DH*

"and of those 1800 plants, 800 of them came home with my wife"

Thank you so much! I had a delightful time, and next year I will have so much more to bring...

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

I agree, this was fantastic! I got most of my goodies planted already, and am very happy with my finds, especially happy to grab a nice Coleus which was unexpected. Loved the roses, too! What a treat! Everyone worked so hard to make this a great success and it really showed! Mimi's signs were absolutely great. I had a few other things and plants to bring but they were just too drippy wet to put in the car. Maybe next time.

Whoever made the little cinnamon buns with raisins - MMMMMmmm!!! And that warm pasta in the red sauce in the giant heating thing with the carrots in it. Magnifico! Wish I hadn't gotten too full to try the quhe.

My plants had the tags made from computer mail labels stuck on long green twist-ties. Seemed like they were getting blurred after getting so wet. If anyone has any questions about a plant I brought, feel free to email me. Pls. put "plant swap" in the subject line so I recognize that it's not SPAM.

It was so nice to meet and re-meet everyone!

• fourpaws2002
    19 years ago

WOW, what an experience, my first plant swap and Oh what fun!!. Despite the rain and a chill in the air it was a great time, seems all that went by the wayside when the swapping began. I too wish it would have been nicer and would have stayed longer afterwards to socialize, but for those I did have the pleasure to meet I now have a face to put with the name and perhaps next year there will be more.
    Thanks to those who organized it and all of you for all the food, fun, & new friends!!(& Plants)
    P.S. I can't believe I didn't see the cheesecake w/ raspberry topping :o( :o)

• thinkdirt
    19 years ago

did you say cheese cake with raspberry sauce, where was it
    darn i missed it also.
    to the couple from michigan with all the hosta, i sat with you at lunch, would love to learn more about all the species of hosta as i have the wooland garden from cincinnati would love to speak again. how to learn about all the species of hosta.

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

Great swap, great plants, totally yummy food, great people, what fun, whoo-e-e-e-e-e! The rain and mud just added to the ambiance! Thanks Beverly and Mimi!

Karen and Nancy

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

What a great day!
    I missed the raspberry sauce with cheesecake too.
    I liked those little cinnamon buns too,
    wish I had one or three right now!
    Also liked the homemade bread, was that made in a machine?
    Sure would like the recipe!
    Boy you sure could tell we are gardeners, who esle would have stood out in the rain for plants?
    I'm so happy with my plants and the glass was marvelous!!
    Wish I would have gotten hypertufa too but they were all gone in a heartbeat...
    There were lots of other things I wanted too but didn't get.
    Was so Happy to see Betty , we exchanged lots of hostas and I'm sure we can hardly wait til next year!
    Got a great daylily too, and a sedum , can't wait til it matures.
    Think I'll start potting up for next year! haha
    Had a great time talking to all.. It's always nice to meet new people, especially gardeners!
    Thank you Beverly and Mimi, what a great time.
    Oh yes Mimi, don't know how many times I started over to tell you abot the great signs and never did make it,
    So here's telling you now 'Great signs Mimi.....
    Linda

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oops...I have someone's tape dispenser. People helping to clean up put it in my bag. I can't remember who's it is. If it's yours and you live close and will return it ASAP. So sorry about that.

Glad you all had a good time! I got some wonderful additions for my garden...am thrilled! I was amazed at the great variety of plant material - fabulous!

good planting...Beverly

• trishohiozone5_6
    19 years ago

Thanks Beverly,

I had a great time!!!! I was wonderful!!!

Trish

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

That's my tape dispenser and the Bluestone Perennial book got a new home too! Oops! Don't worry, with the free plants we got, I'll just pick up another one, so consider it a door prize!

• lilyland
    19 years ago

My first time at a plant swap and had a great time in spite of the weather. It far exceeded my expectations and can't wait till next year for the 2005 Swap. Found a few things I was "really needing" and so happy to give them a new home. Beverly and Mimi, thanks for all of the hard work that went into this event, and to everyone who donated the fantastic doorprizes. Hope all your summer gardening days are happy ones!

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

Beverly and Mimi,

Thanks for all the hard work in setting this up. We all had a good time and ate way too much. I planted everything and my flower beds are full too. In fact when I put that last lily in my lily bed it gave a little belch and said no more please!

Rebecca

• ohgeo
    19 years ago

Thanks Beverly and Mimi. The swap was a lot of fun. It was nice to meet everyone. I will surely make it an annual event. Next year I'll be more prepared with lots more plants and waterproof labels! Who brought all the roses? I got one of the larger ones, thanks! Bakemom, I'll tell Debbie to contact you. I'll be busy the next evening or two planting. Thanks to everyone.

George

• alison
    19 years ago

Just want to add my thanks to everyone else's -- and to everyone for making it such a great time! I brought 95 plants and took home 30 -- but such a wonderful 30! And of course, there was a lot more to it than that.

I had so much fun, and got such wonderful plants. And I had a chance to thank some of the folks I've gotten plants from in the past. (Genie, the mock orange was in full bloom Sunday!)

It's always wonderful to get a chance to hang out with other gardeners. As always, I come home from the swap planning how I'll do more/better/more easily next year.

Perhaps I'll start by getting there a little bit earlier.....

Thanks again, all!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I loved putting faces to the names I've been corresponding and "talking" to. This being the third year..there are many people I've gotten to see "for years" now.(Isn't it fun to see how big Noah gets every year.) It's great to see everyone.

I got such terrific plants. I love siloam Daylilies and I got one - yay! DH (Murray) got his tomato plants & he's jazzed about that.

I hope to get everything planted this week as time allows - probably will.

Thanks again to Mimi and everyone for making it fun and making it work.

...Beverly

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

Thanks SO much, Beverly and Mimi!!! I had a fantastic time and came home dripping with both rain and new plants. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun, especially in such crazy weather. :)

I love all my new plants that came home with me!! It'll be so much fun to watch them grow and to know that they came from friends.

Gina

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

Reading all of your messages, I'm so SAD that I couldn't make it this year. I have absolutely vowed to myself that I WILL come next year. Now that my garde in 3 years old ( in parts) I'm starting to have some things to divide and some things that have seeded like mad. We did a plant swap with my other garden club and it was a lot of fun but we don't have near this many participants!

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Garden girl, you must attend next year! 3 years should be enough time to seperate some plants, + you can bring old garden books, garden ornaments, hypertufa. I think I can speak for all of us who had a wonderful time!

I need a couple of recipes from the swap (see you can even get recipes, I hope)
    Homemade bread that looked like it was made in a bread machine, I thought that was great and would like the recipe.
    also the little cinnamon rolls were yummy, was that just cinnamon rolls made small? Somehow the tasted different and I would love that recipe also. You can mail me privately or post it on here for all! Hostalavista Babee! Linda

• stardust
    19 years ago

Sounds like EVERYONE had a great time. Maybe next year I will make it there. I'm shedding my F.F.A. Alumni responsibilities. Our annual fund raiser for this group has been on the same Saturday as your swap the past two or three years.

If any of you have any 'swapping' left in you and live near or feel like driving to Deerfield, there will be a plant swap and covered dish luncheon here on June 12th. Just thought I'd mention that. Between Akron and Youngstown. So far there appears to be about 2 dozen interested attendees. If you have no more plants to swap we will understand (800 out of 1800 plants ... someone is as bad as me) (95 plants taken ... again, as bad as me). There will be Door Prizes, Silent Auction, a garden themed craft project for those interested (very quick and easy) and of course extras available for those new gardeners or those unable to bring a plant. Oh, and we will have a local crafter of soap and other realted items.

Perennial, houseplant, water/bog garden plants, tree, shrub, veggies, herbs .... it will all be there.

Cheesecake ... with Raspberry sauce ... now that is just not fair.

Mimi - thanks for all of your valuable information given. I really appreciated the input.

Stardust

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Stardust! YOur swap sounds GREAT! I am working that day. But, I know you'll have a wonderful day. Hope we can all hook up next time.

...Beverly

• stardust
    19 years ago

Thanks ... I'm hoping to make it out in your direction next year.

Stardust

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

Anyone who got some of my Red Monarda this year - it has changed color! This year it is coming up purple! It really was red last year, so I'm not quite sure what is going on with the split personality...

Sorry for the confusion...

• Dave_Z6
    19 years ago

We could not attend this year's swap but we were there in 2003.
    Among the plants we brought home was a Mimosa tree which, as I recall, had been grown from seed by the gal who brought several. The tree has done quite well.
    We have a friend who would also like one but we don't know who
    grew them or how to contact her to see if she has anymore.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave/Columbus

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

Hi Dave,
    I brought the Mimosa trees! So glad yours survived. I always wonder about them. Yes I know I have more. Did I show you a picture and talk you into one? I think I did some people. Mine is blooming right now, it is years old and the smell in my front yard is Yummy... Hummers and butterflys love it almost as much as I do. Linda

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors