Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fionasol

2006 Central Indiana Plant Swap

fionasol
17 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's almost time for the Central Indiana Plant Swap. We will be meeting at Holliday Park in Indianapolis. Over the years we have had lots of great gardening fellowship, brought home a ton of new plants and made a lot of new friends. If you are new to gardening and don't have much to trade, come anyway. We'll be happy to share our extras.

THE DETAILS

Date: Sunday, May 21, 2006

Time: 1:30 P.M.

Location: Holliday Park, 6363 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, IN 46260

Directions inside the park: Once you enter the park take an immediate left. Then pull into the first parking lot on the right. We will be under the giant sycamore tree.

Bring yourself, plants & trades, family, friends, tables, chairs, beverages and snacks to share.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments, extra gardening implements, etc.

PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!! Also, mark any plants as invasive or poisonous, if known.

This year, we're trying a Round Robin swap:

Round One - pick one plant

Next Round - pick one plant

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick three plants

Next Round - pick four plants

And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and other swaps have had great success with it in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Additionally, you can pre-arrange individual trades through other GardenWebber's trade lists. (PSSST! Everyone should update their trade lists!) These trades will happen before (or after) the big Round Robin trade.

Since this is our first year trying the Round Robin format, we are asking everyone to bear with us as we figure out what works best & still have fun! Our moto is KEEP IT SIMPLE, HAVE FUN, MEET FRIENDS.

Some tips for the day:

Bring a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping.

If you have room in the car...bring an extra table to arrange your plants on.

Print out pictures of your plants in bloom, so folks will know what they look like in all their glory!

If it looks like rain, bring those rain coats, umbrellas, etc. We plan to meet even if it rains.

**Post here if you are attending so that we can all see who is coming and can check trade lists. Or email me, so we can get an approximate head count for the swap.

E-mail me if you wish to be put on the plant-swap e-mail list or if you have any questions.

I can't wait to see you all there! Hopefully we will have a great crowd with all the new gardening friends you may bring along!

Fiona

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to Holliday Park

Comments (12)

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just updated my trade list--and probably will add a few more things before the end of the week.

I've gotten emails from about 10 folks who are planning to attend the swap & I'm sure there are more of you out there that I just haven't heard from. Please post here to let us know that you are joining us on Sunday!

Here is a link that might be useful: My trade list

• indyrose
    17 years ago

I plan to be there and bring many of my perennial divisions that I dug this spring. I have hosta, coreopsis, perennial salvia, maidenhair grass, a stray hydrangea, some fuchsia, scented geraniums and a bunch of other "stuff." I have a hobby greenhouse and I have just remodeled my perennial bed. Extras and things I no longer wanted all went into pots for trade, sell, or give-away. I have a beat-up gold pickup truck, and it will be stuffed.

Most of my plants have their variety name on them -- some donÂt. For plant tags, I use pieces of old venetian blinds. The slats are UV resistant, and I write on them with pencil. -- No smeared ink!

IÂll be there to answer any questions, too.

Indyrose

• katielovesdogs
    17 years ago

I'll be there, too and I'm bringing along some friends. I'll have viburnum, lilac, lamb's ear, yarrow, hosta, rose of sharon, heliopsis, daylilies, chives, lady's mantle, coral bells, azaleas, as well as some other things that I haven't dug up yet.

• goldencreek
    17 years ago

Iam planning on attending.I have jack in the pulpit, nodding trillium, prairie trillium, wild ginger,true and false soloman seal, baby redbuds, chameleon,dark purple iris,dwarf white iris, colubine and who know's what else will fit. I have a red crew ford truck Iam sure to be stuffed. Looking forward to meeting you good folks and hopefully adding to my collection of named daylilies and hosta, iris and what all. Goldencreek (susan)

• reads_n_writes
    17 years ago

I plan to be there as well. Fionasol, I just emailed you to ask about this, should have done a more thorough search first.

Anyway, I'm just wondering, what if I don't know the exact names of specific plants? I plan to bring many varieties of hosta, daffodil bulbs, a few trilliums, a jack in the pulpit or two, perhaps some ferns and a couple of other things. We bought this house last year, I'm a beginner as gardeners go and I only know the common names of everything not the names of the specific varieties. Any advice on what to do?

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Common names are plenty--even if you aren't sure of those, if you can remember the bloom color/type/time, someone at the swap would probably be able to help you identify any "unknowns". :)

Glad you found the message & I'll add you to the email list for next year!

See you Sunday!

Fiona

• indyrose
    17 years ago

Fiona,

For those of us with pick-up trucks, is it "appropriate" just to lower the tailgate to let people look, or do we really need to bring a table?

--I'm a first-timer here.

Indyrose

• fionasol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Indyrose,
    Depending on when you arrive, you might be able to park your truck closely enough to the area where we set-up to keep your plants in the truck. But, folks tend to set-up on the grassy area (on tables and/or on the ground) adjacent to the parking area. You can always decide what to do after you arrive!

• homer_zn5
    17 years ago

I'm hoping to make it. I haven't potted anything up, but will clean out some of my beds on Saturday in anticipation. Now I am going to have to round up some pots!

I expect I may have some hosta, different varieties of mint, maybe one or two Echinops ritro (globe thistle), perhaps some named daylillies, all the silver maple seedlings anyone would want (let me know in advance), some nightshade vines (cute little purple flowers), obedient plant, lemon verbena, and who knows what else I might dig up.

• homer_zn5
    17 years ago

Arrrgh . . . I just realized this is on Sunday and not Saturday. I have reservations for lunch on Sunday at 1:00. How long does this usually last? I could probably make it by 2:30, but 1:30 just won't happen.

Maybe I just need to chalk this up to try again next year.

• katielovesdogs
    17 years ago

It was so nice to meet everyone. I got some great plants! Thanks for doing all the organizing, Fiona.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Any chance there would be a fall 2006 potluck/swap at Holliday Park?

Lime

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm