Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeeterdmg

Lancaster, PA Plant Swap

skeeterdmg
20 years ago

Howdy all!

Finally set a date for the Plant Swap this year...sorry it took me so long. I am having the plant swap this year but it will have to be in August.

I've gotten cast in Scarlet Pimpernel at the Ephrata Playhouse In the Park and the show runs all of July so I'm in rehearsals until then with no free time.

Saturday, August 23rd is the first free Saturday that I have so I'm gonna shoot for that. I know it's going to be a hot month but figured the plants for trade will be grown more by then and everyone has stuff mid-Summer that they want to 'get rid of'. I was also going to offer everyone to bring harvests of fruit and veggies as well. Think MEGA-ZUCHINNI!!!!!

I haven't planted much unusual this year but have some stuff coming in from England and Costa Rica that I'm pretty excited about....will share more about that later. The concentration this year was on time saving so...all the clumpers got divided up. I have TONS Liatris, Hosta (gross), and Iris...everywhere. I feel like a city park or something...oh well, the garden is planted and mulched. That is all I care about for now. One cool thing is the compost area. I chipped enough plant material from last year to mulch the entire backyard. Most of you know I am completely organic so no chemical fertilizer, pesticide, or herbicide has ever been used. A benefit of this is the incredible population boom of insects, arachnids, and birds this year. I counted 3 mantis egg cases in the greenhouse this week and have tons of Dysdera spiders. They are kind of freaky looking but have enormous appetites for sowbugs.

The Willow hedge is gone and replaced by a border of Ricinus and Jerusalem Artichoke. I'm not sure if it's kosher to grow Ricinus anymore so kept it out of the front garden. Hopefully, by August, they will be filling out the backyard nicely. The fruit trees had a good blossoming season and the Apricot, Nectarine, Apple, Peach, Pear, and Cherry trees are loaded with fruit. The grapes in the back have taken over and I'm just letting them ramble along.

The arbor fell in the Winter storms so I've replaced it with some Acer seedlings I found by the railroadside in Hershey...they are doing great so far.

I'll try to get a mailing out soon about the swap as everyone expected it in June again. If I can, I will try to rent some tents for shade as well. Feel free to forward this if there are people I missed. I'm sending this email out in groups so as not to clog up my mail lists.

Happy Summer to you!

David

Comments (16)

• angel_1226
    20 years ago

Hi David,
    I'll be there! I am available if you need any help.

Jan

• ann84
    20 years ago

I have been trying to get to your swap for a few years now. I hope to make it this year. Congratulations on your role in the play. Look out broadway.

• skeeterdmg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks! Looking forward to it. There are several pavilions at Lancaster County Park that will work. I'll get more details shortly.

I'm starting Magnolia and Salix cuttings this week to be ready by swap time....

Skeeter

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap Page

• treehouse
    20 years ago

Skeeter, weren't you supposed to start a redbud for me last summer? I hope you did. I'll be there.

Jan

• Shaggus
    20 years ago

Hi, I am a new gardener who lives in the Southern End. Is this swap open to all Lancaster residents or only to a select group? HCM

• earline_pa zone 6 Pa.
    20 years ago

Shaggus
    I'm from Berks and I'm planning to attend. From what I've read elsewhere this is a huge swap!!

• skeeterdmg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Howdy all...sorry it took me so long to respond. The show I'm in closes this Saturday so I will have some more free time.

Jan...yes, I have some redbud started...wait till you see the front yard one..it is huge!

Shaggus...yes...it is open to everyone. I guess I better get started on pulling the volunteer staff together now that it is less than a month away.

I'll post more details shortly on the website and here. Hope you all are enjoying the Summer so far.

• skippy05
    20 years ago

We only have a tiny garden & I don't even have anything to swap. All I have is the store bought seeds that I didn't use this year.
    Are there flowers/plants etc. for sale or just "swap"?

• skeeterdmg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Skippy,

Seeds are cool. I assume we'll have a lot of garden related items as it's later in season this year... Someone the other year brought a dozen trowels that were swapped in the first round!

Skeeter

• Patriz
    20 years ago

Well, it looks like I can't make the swap this Saturday....drats! I was really looking forward to meeting everyone, in addition to finding new homes for my Kousa Dogwood seedlings and other stuff. I hope everyone has a great time...please post details and swap goodies :)
    Trish (who now needs to find another area swap to get rid of garden extras)

• angel_1226
    20 years ago

Skeeter,
    Where is the swap being held? Can I have directions please? Thank you.

• skeeterdmg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I just emailed directions out to all that asked. and...yes, if you want to come early to help, that would be cool. Just let me know if you want to do that.

:) - see you Saturday

• skeeterdmg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Howdy again...there was some confusion where the swap was.....I just wanted to clarify that it is at my house and not the park. :)

• treehouse
    20 years ago

A big thank you goes to you and the crew, Skeeter. The swap was wonderful!!!!!
    Jan

• ann84
    20 years ago

That goes double for me Skeeter. It was a lot of fun and you are a very gracious host and your crew was fabulous! Thank you so much and me, my sister-in-law and my neice will be there next year. Oh, and my niece called your supplier with the fig tree and she said she only had her personal one that was not ready for propagtion. However, after more inquiries, my niece feels confidant she will be able to find one this spring.
    Anyway, we had a great time and thank you for making it possible. Now, if only I can figure out what I am going to do with a peach tree!

• skeeterdmg
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I had a blast. Thanks to all of you as well. Special thanks to Judy and Jan for helping with registration.

The following was left behind...a gallon drink cooler, two tupperware containers, and a round pyrex casserole dish. If they are yours, email me and I'll get them to you somehow!

Next year will be the 10th annual! :) - woohoo

Sponsored